inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: Anyone miss 70s/80s NYC?

Written By: Ryan112390 on 04/19/12 at 1:37 pm

Anyone miss NYC of the 70s-early 90s, when it was a tougher, grittier, less "metro" sort of place? It just seems to be more a generic big city now and lacks the atmosphere/unique sort of vibe it had then, even if it was grimy.

Subject: Re: Anyone miss 70s/80s NYC?

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 04/19/12 at 11:06 pm

Freaky transsexuals in Times Square, yes.

Westchester Avenue burning down, no.

:D

Written By: moycon on 04/20/12 at 12:10 am

I was born in Ohion in the 70's and the moved to Virginia in the 80's.
I might miss the 70/80 NYC, but I am not sure because I've never been there!
I do miss the 80's though. Doesn't matter where!  :)

Written By: Henk on 04/20/12 at 5:22 am

Well, I'm sure some people wish they could turn back the clock... albeit not for the same reason.

Written By: Howard on 04/20/12 at 6:18 am

Anyone miss NYC of the 70s-early 90s, when it was a tougher, grittier, less "metro" sort of place? It just seems to be more a generic big city now and lacks the atmosphere/unique sort of vibe it had then, even if it was grimy.

What exactly do you mean by "less metro"? ???

Written By: Henk on 04/20/12 at 6:33 am

Less Subway?

j/k. ;)

Written By: whistledog on 04/20/12 at 8:41 am

I am pretty sure that long haired brunettes do not miss late 70s NYC  :-\\

Written By: Howard on 04/20/12 at 7:26 pm

I am pretty sure that long haired brunettes do not miss late 70s NYC  :-\\

and what about the girls with the afro hairdos?  ???

Written By: Ryan112390 on 04/20/12 at 7:44 pm

Less metro =overcomercialized. And I think the people in NYC in the 70s/80s were tougher. Not the latte sipping Starbucks types we have today. It's like a family friendly generic Disney Land type city. No real atmosphere, it's like any other big city. It's not NEW YORK CITY as once was, with it's own unique vibe and feel. There's a reason NYC was a big hotspot to film/set movies in all throughout the 70s and 80s and mid 90s. Yeah you get movies filmed here still but it doesn't seem as gritty. It's not the city where you have to be strong to survive anymore.

Written By: whistledog on 04/20/12 at 9:20 pm

and what about the girls with the afro hairdos?  ???

They were not targets of Son of Sam

Written By: yelimsexa on 04/22/12 at 10:05 am

I can say the same about Los Angeles (seemed friendlier back then plus of course there was this great rock music scene) and Las Vegas (before it sold its soul and turned into an adult Disneyland rather than being a nice place to stay.) I'd love to experience those cities in the '70s and '80s if I had a time scepter!

Still, if you never got to chance to experience '70s/'80s NYC, in addition to the films of that era, check out on Google Books the New York magazine issues of the era for a good sampling of the happenings at the time.

Written By: Howard on 04/22/12 at 1:57 pm

back then city buses were run by gas power and now in 2012 city buses are run by hydro electricity.

Written By: Foo Bar on 04/25/12 at 12:11 am

XTVFiuHjd-4

"Mondo New York!  Home to outcast misfit reject loser pervert lunatics!  Gangsters, pranksters, and outlaws, yeah.  Neurotic psychotic maniacs, brainiacs, hippies, yippies, yuppies, junkies, flunkies, monkeys, yeah.  All trying to claw their way to the top of the trash heap, the top of the garbage pile.  All screaming in the American obscene "me me me me me me ME ME ME!, I want my fame my fortune my lousy fifteen minutes, my-", WTF-ever it is, you want it?  We got it.  If you don't see it, ask for it, because it comes in all shapes and sizes, all colors, in every dimension.  Mondo New York!"

- Lydia Lunch, prologue to Mondo New York, 1988.

Check for new replies or respond here...