inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: Ian Peterson Band - Sally?

Written By: singer on 05/28/12 at 3:55 am

As far as I know the video/song Sally that appears in the 'Money For Nothing' video by Dire Straits was a fake, but look what I find out:
Released in 1985 on Ian Pearson Band's 'Hot Dogs' album, 'Sally' was Rush Records' most commercially feasible effort.
The song has developed a cult following, arguably thanks to the inclusion of a part of its music video in Dire Strait's 'Money For Nothing' video. Since Rush Records was an underground rock label, it didn't take advantage of Dire Strait's popularity.

About the label: Rush Records was an independent, underground music label, specialized in pop-rock and rock music. It was founded in 1983 in Los Angeles. Between 1983 and 1987, it released about 5 albums and 15 singles by two solo singers and three bands, including the Ian Pearson Band. Only two videos were commissioned, the first one in 1983 by a solo artist and 'Sally' in 1985. Due to financial struggles, the label became defunct in 1987.

About the song: 'Sally' was a typical pop-rock song of the middle 1980's with heavy synths and keyboards being accompanied by a guitar. Ian Pearson Band sounded like a The Cars/Dire Straits mix.

About the video: Unlike what most people think, the music video wasn't shot in the US, but in Europe (Budapest, Hungary, to be specific). The woman in the video was a Hungarian actress/model called Renáta Szatler. The director wanted a female who has a resemblance to actress Nancy Allen circa The Philadelphia Experiment (1984), only with darker features and hair.

I wonder if that's true? Some of the facts are 100% right (it was filmed in Budapest and the model's name is Renáta Szatler).
:o
I'm glad that I'm not the only one that sees the slight resemblance between the girl in 'Sally' and Nancy Allen:
http://3.bp.blogspot.com/-f7dVWMEIysw/T8KAO6s-pMI/AAAAAAAAADw/uBc60MFK1PI/s1600/dfhfdh4987.jpg

Subject: Re: Ian Peterson Band - Sally?

Written By: snozberries on 05/28/12 at 10:59 am

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mGOBNnAT7uI

Subject: Re: Ian Pearson Band - Sally?

Written By: singer on 05/30/12 at 4:04 pm

LOL, title fail for me! A note to the board staff: Please change the title to Ian Pearson Band - Sally

Subject: Re: Ian Pearson Band - Sally?

Written By: snozberries on 05/30/12 at 4:10 pm

LOL, title fail for me! A note to the board staff: Please change the title to Ian Pearson Band - Sally

If you sign up for an account you can modify your posts and change the title yourself.  ;) 

Written By: singer on 06/01/12 at 6:06 pm

Real or fake, I think 'Sally' is one of the best 80's music videos. It begs for being re-created by someone. ;) Sucks that we'll probably never see the full-length video. Probably Steve Barron, 'Money For Nothing's director knows what happened to the complete footage?

Written By: singer on 06/09/12 at 2:06 pm

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eooZsXKCo2M
She's so hot! ;)

Check for new replies or respond here...