inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: Which 80's sitcoms were your favorites?

Written By: wsmith4 on 06/21/12 at 10:53 am

Lots of choices  :D  I know some of these were carried over from the 70's, or went into the 90's, but I mostly identify them as 80's, so they count!

Subject: Re: Which 80's sitcoms were your favorites?

Written By: nally on 06/21/12 at 11:12 am

Not sure at the moment...but I'll make my choices later. Of course, a number of these carried over into the 90's. Of the choices I pick, Alf might be one of them, and possibly Small Wonder, but like I said, I'll come back later.

Written By: moycon on 06/21/12 at 12:28 pm

I picked

Different Strokes
Facts of Life
Silver Spoons
Family Ties
and
The Wonder Years

Written By: snozberries on 06/21/12 at 12:43 pm

I wouldn't consider the wonder years a sit on but I selected it cuz I loved it.

I also chose facts, Cosby and other.

You forgot Roseanne and Kate & Allie ( those are my two others)

Written By: amjikloviet on 06/21/12 at 2:05 pm

Full House and Punky Brewster were my favs :D

Written By: meesa on 06/21/12 at 4:53 pm

On this list I liked Night Court, Golden Girls and especially Wonder Years best.

Roz from Night Court was and continues to be one of my fav TV characters. Roseanne, however, was my favorite sitcom.

Written By: Drbob31 on 06/21/12 at 5:36 pm

I loved Perfect Strangers, but The Cosby Show was my fav. Still watch the reruns sometimes.

Written By: warped on 06/21/12 at 5:40 pm

Cosby Show is THE sitcom of the 80s for me.
Growing Pains & Night court were good. Wonder years was alright, Family ties is another good one.

Written By: ladybug316 on 06/21/12 at 6:49 pm

Golden Girls is like, my favorite, ever, but I also chose Night Court and the Wonder Years (was that really a sit-com?)  For my other, I'm going with Cheers.  If The Facts of Life was on the list, I missed it, but I liked that one too.

Written By: nally on 06/21/12 at 6:58 pm

Golden Girls is like, my favorite, ever, but I also chose Night Court and the Wonder Years (was that really a sit-com?)  For my other, I'm going with Cheers.  If The Facts of Life was on the list, I missed it, but I liked that one too.

Oh yes, Cheers was a good one too.

Written By: zcrito on 06/21/12 at 7:02 pm

I selected "Family Ties", and that appears to be the only one in the list I like.
For "Other" choices I'd go with

Coach,
Newhart,
Dear John (the U.S. version with Judd Hirsch)
Kelly Monteith,
Cheers (mostly the early ones like from '82-'85)
Breaking Away (short lived and based on the movie)
Yes Minister,
M*A*S*H (still popular in the '80s and reruns were always showing all the time)

I remember being able to watch Kelly Monteith, Breaking Away, and Yes Minister on cable's A&E channel back around 1985-1986. Like the movies on cable, it was all commercial free.

Written By: Howard on 06/21/12 at 7:12 pm

Family Ties
Different Strokes
Silver Spoons
Punky Brewster
Alice

Written By: whistledog on 06/21/12 at 7:22 pm

I like all of these except for Hey Dude! as I have never heard of it until now lol

Just the 10 of Us was one of my favourites,.  It spun-out from 'Growing Pains' and only lasted 3 seasons, but it was a great show.

Going for the obscure, there was a mid 80s sitcom called 'Check it Out' that I used to watch all the time.  It was a Canadian sitcom that starred Don Adams as the manager of a supermarket called Cobb's.  A then unknown Gordon Clapp (NYPD Blue) also had a role as the store's handyman/electrician.  It aired on CTV in Canada and on the USA Network in the States.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=48Vi__KdTPchttp://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Npoo1dQlrhU

Written By: Howard on 06/22/12 at 6:21 am

I wonder if anyone mentioned Head Of The Class? The sitcom that starred Howard Hessman who was teaching a group of students.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7J7QURtyTxU

Written By: wsmith4 on 06/22/12 at 6:43 am

I wonder if anyone mentioned Head Of The Class? The sitcom that starred Howard Hessman who was teaching a group of students.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7J7QURtyTxU

I forgot all about that show!  It was never one of my favorites, but I did watch it regularly, it had its moments.

Written By: mitch1987 on 06/22/12 at 7:12 pm

I like all of these except for Hey Dude! as I have never heard of it until now lol

Just the 10 of Us was one of my favourites,.  It spun-out from 'Growing Pains' and only lasted 3 seasons, but it was a great show.

Going for the obscure, there was a mid 80s sitcom called 'Check it Out' that I used to watch all the time.  It was a Canadian sitcom that starred Don Adams as the manager of a supermarket called Cobb's.  A then unknown Gordon Clapp (NYPD Blue) also had a role as the store's handyman/electrician.  It aired on CTV in Canada and on the USA Network in the States.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=48Vi__KdTPchttp://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Npoo1dQlrhU

Wow I'd forgotten all about that show!! The local Cobbs store where I grew up just closed down..they couldn't compete with the Walmart and Superstore. Kind of sad as it was there for well over 50 years.

I picked
1. Wonder Years
2. Family Ties
3. Facts of Life
4. Different strokes
5. Just the 10 of Us
All were great shows..I like Just the 10 of Us mainly for all the Nightmare on Elms Street references ( 3 of the daughters were in the movies) + I have them all taped..they are great to rewatch.

Written By: Howard on 06/23/12 at 6:19 am

Perfect Strangers
ALF
Too Close For Comfort

Written By: robby76 on 06/25/12 at 2:33 am

If there's one genre I love, it's 80s sitcoms! So this was tough... very tough. In the end I went for...

Punky Brewster
Cosby Show
Facts of Life
Golden Girls
Small Wonder

* notable mentions not on list... Kate & Allie and Who's The Boss.

Written By: Henk on 06/25/12 at 3:31 am

In no specific order I went for:

ALF
The Wonder Years
Cosby Show
Perfect Strangers
Other

The "other" one being Who's The Boss.

Not all of the sitcoms on your list were aired over here.

Written By: mylilypad on 07/07/12 at 5:58 pm

wahh! from that list, i liked more than five! lol.

these are the ones i chose: perfect strangers, growing pains, night court, the wonder years, and alf.

i'm not sure if cheers was mentioned, but that was a pretty good show too.  :)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7KtAgAMzaeg

Written By: wildcard on 07/07/12 at 6:27 pm

the Hey Dude from Nickelodeon?  Watched it every day

Written By: Howard on 07/07/12 at 7:14 pm

wahh! from that list, i liked more than five! lol.

these are the ones i chose: perfect strangers, growing pains, night court, the wonder years, and alf.

i'm not sure if cheers was mentioned, but that was a pretty good show too.  :)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7KtAgAMzaeg

This was a good show.

Written By: Howard on 07/07/12 at 7:17 pm

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fQMfN0UFqms

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 07/09/12 at 6:25 pm

No Cheers on your list?  What were you thinking?

From the list:

Night Court
Family Ties
Perfect Strangers
The Wonder Years

Taxi was one of the best sit-coms ever, though it started in the seventies.  Roseanne was awesome.  Married with Children started in the late eighties and turned into one of my favorites.  The Wonder Years was so good it didn't need a laugh track. 

Written By: wsmith4 on 07/10/12 at 7:36 am

Mr.Belvedere

Howard, I think you've started to veer off track... you were supposed to pick up to 5 favorites.

Written By: mach!ne_he@d on 07/10/12 at 2:21 pm

As someone born later in the '80s, and grew up on the periphery of the decade, my favorties were mostly family shows that started in the late '80s, and carried over into the '90s.

Full House
Family Matters
Step By Step

Those where probably my three favorite as a kid, but I've mostly outgrown them now. As I got older, my favorite '80s sitcoms became Cheers (which has already been mentioned) and It's Garry Shandling's Show.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ac8cQuEzDCQ

It seems like most people have never heard of this Showtime produced sitcom from 1986, and that's too bad. I admit it is a little bizzare, with Shandling spending about as much time breaking the fourth wall and talking to the audience as he does actually talking to on screen characters, but let's just say there weren't many shows like it back in the mid '80s (or even today for that matter).

Written By: nally on 07/10/12 at 2:25 pm

As someone born later in the '80s, and grew up on the periphery of the decade, my favorties were mostly family shows that started in the late '80s, and carried over into the '90s.

Full House
Family Matters
Step By Step

Yeah, I loved watching those too, although Step By Step premiered and ended in the 90's (91-98, I believe). They'd all been part of the TGIF lineup at one time or another on ABC.

Written By: Howard on 07/10/12 at 7:28 pm

Full House
Family Matters
Step By Step

Those where probably my three favorite as a kid, but I've mostly outgrown them now. As I got older, my favorite '80s sitcoms became Cheers (which has already been mentioned) and It's Garry Shandling's Show.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ac8cQuEzDCQ

It seems like most people have never heard of this Showtime produced sitcom from 1986, and that's too bad. I admit it is a little bizzare, with Shandling spending about as much time breaking the fourth wall and talking to the audience as he does actually talking to on screen characters, but let's just say there weren't many shows like it back in the mid '80s (or even today for that matter).

I do remember Garry Shandling on Showtme.

Written By: moycon on 07/10/12 at 9:25 pm

We recently watched every episode of Cheers and we are now making our way through The Wonder Years.
Netflix Instant View is GREAT!!

Written By: c_keenan2001@hotmail.com on 07/11/12 at 11:33 pm

Step By Step ran from 1991-1998.

Written By: c_keenan2001@hotmail.com on 07/15/12 at 1:00 am

I do remember Garry Shandling on Showtme.

Wasn't IGSS on Fox first?

Written By: Howard on 07/15/12 at 6:54 am

Not that I can recall.  ???

Written By: mach!ne_he@d on 07/15/12 at 9:14 pm

It was a Showtime original, but Fox did air it in syndication during the network's first few months when they had very little of their own programming.

Written By: c_keenan2001@hotmail.com on 07/17/12 at 11:47 pm

It was a Showtime original, but Fox did air it in syndication during the network's first few months when they had very little of their own programming.

I thought the Larry Sanders Show was an HBO original? I don't remember "It's The Gary Shadling Show" Airing on HBO?

Written By: Starde on 07/18/12 at 9:08 am

I wasn't around in the 80's (though I sure wish I was!), but I loved watching re-runs of some of these shows as a kid in the 90's:

Full House
Family Matters
Growing Pains
The Facts of Life
Diff'rent Strokes
The Cosby Show
The Wonder Years
Family Ties
Saved by the Bell

I remember seeing an episode of Cheers when I was younger, but didn't care for it. Now that I'm older, I'm planning to watch all 11 seasons on Netflix.

Written By: wsmith4 on 07/18/12 at 1:10 pm

I think it's awesome that people who weren't even alive in the 80's can see how great of a time it was!

Written By: Howard on 07/18/12 at 7:27 pm

I thought the Larry Sanders Show was an HBO original? I don't remember "It's The Gary Shadling Show" Airing on HBO?

Yes It aired in 1986-1987.

Check for new replies or respond here...