inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: Slide projector movies

Written By: yelimsexa on 07/23/12 at 10:38 am

Remember the days when you would be instructed to watch a movie by way of the slide projector, which has seemingly gone the way of Betamax? I can't find much luck locating any such films online to watch, as they are part of my childhood watching both fictional and nonfictional topics in school. They were around before the '80s and were still used at my school in the '90s, which is why I posted it in this board for nostalgia purposes.  The programs were typically between 30 and 60 slides long, each separated by a beep on the tape and the sound of the slide projector moving to the next slide. What are some good movies/educational stories you can recall that involved sitting in the classroom and watching on the screen?

Subject: Re: Slide projector movies

Written By: Foo Bar on 07/25/12 at 8:53 pm

Remember the days when you would be instructed to watch a movie by way of the slide projector, which has seemingly gone the way of Betamax? I can't find much luck locating any such films online to watch, as they are part of my childhood watching both fictional and nonfictional topics in school. They were around before the '80s and were still used at my school in the '90s, which is why I posted it in this board for nostalgia purposes.  The programs were typically between 30 and 60 slides long, each separated by a beep on the tape and the sound of the slide projector moving to the next slide. What are some good movies/educational stories you can recall that involved sitting in the classroom and watching on the screen?

You talking the

http://spydersden.files.wordpress.com/2012/04/slide-projector.jpg

slide projector, or the

http://cardboardmetravelsdotcom.files.wordpress.com/2012/07/flat-ruthie-and-the-filmstrip-projector.jpg

film projector?

*BEEP*.

Written By: yelimsexa on 07/26/12 at 6:23 am

It was the first image, though we also used film projectors as well before tape/DVD fully replaced those. Remember that the VHS era moved slower, and many subjects were still too expensive at the time on video, so our school used the archives with film and slide projector movies.

Written By: Howard on 07/26/12 at 6:59 am

http://1.bp.blogspot.com/_VZaVT03Q2G0/STTXDjdYRLI/AAAAAAAAEg4/guKTzpLVo8I/s400/film+projector+2.jpg

How about this?^

Written By: Inlandsvägen1986 on 07/29/12 at 9:53 am

http://1.bp.blogspot.com/_VZaVT03Q2G0/STTXDjdYRLI/AAAAAAAAEg4/guKTzpLVo8I/s400/film+projector+2.jpg

How about this?^

We had them at school; elementary and middle school (mid and late 90's). Over here the usage faded out around the very early 2000's.
My father is a teacher and I remember how often we drove around to the film rental to get those educational films when I was a kid. They were in orange boxes.

I can say that I have experienced everything at school: From the classic film projector to the digital video projector that was connected to a laptop.

However I have never seen a slide projector that could play movies.

Written By: karen on 07/30/12 at 9:32 am

However I have never seen a slide projector that could play movies.

Not a movie as such.  Just a series of stills with a background narrative or story playing on cassette.  After each commentary the tape would beep as a signal to move to the next image.

The programs were typically between 30 and 60 slides long, each separated by a beep on the tape and the sound of the slide projector moving to the next slide.

I can't recall any actual titles.  I think we probably mainly used it in Geography lessons

Written By: Howard on 07/30/12 at 2:45 pm

Not a movie as such.  Just a series of stills with a background narrative or story playing on cassette.  After each commentary the tape would beep as a signal to move to the next image.

I remember those "When you hear the beep please turn to the next page "BEEP".

Written By: gumbypiz on 07/30/12 at 3:10 pm

I remember those "When you hear the beep please turn to the next page "BEEP".

If I remember correctly, it was more like a "BOonGgg", as the tape recorder or record it was sync'd to was usually warped from years of play and abuse and the whole soundtrack sounded like a deep-voiced, drunken monkey.

The picture quality of those filmstrips was pretty poor too...

Written By: Howard on 07/30/12 at 3:24 pm

If I remember correctly, it was more like a "BOonGgg", as the tape recorder or record it was sync'd to was usually warped from years of play and abuse and the whole soundtrack sounded like a deep-voiced, drunken monkey.

The picture quality of those filmstrips was pretty poor too...

Gumby do they still sell those books on tape? ???

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 07/30/12 at 9:44 pm

I can't recall any actual titles.  I think we probably mainly used it in Geography lessons

Yes, I only remember those from school.  I think they were primarily for schools.  They weren't as much fun as the little movies because it was harder to zone out.  The beep would wake you up!
8)

Written By: gumbypiz on 07/30/12 at 10:30 pm

Gumby do they still sell those books on tape? ???

Nope, most of those old tapes/records/filmstrips got tossed out when the schools switched over to VHS. I don't think they were really meant for public release or sale (although it would be a great idea if it was).

Would be a great find at a yard or garage sale though... ;)

Written By: Howard on 07/31/12 at 6:32 am

Nope, most of those old tapes/records/filmstrips got tossed out when the schools switched over to VHS. I don't think they were really meant for public release or sale (although it would be a great idea if it was).

Would be a great find at a yard or garage sale though... ;)

I can't even find soundclips on youtube or anywhere else.

Check for new replies or respond here...