inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: So what are some of your biggest 80's regrets?

Written By: oingo_fan on 07/28/12 at 11:11 pm

In the top ten for me is missing seeing U2 filming "Rattle and Hum" at Sun Devil (ASU) stadium in Tempe, AZ in 1987.  They filmed for two nights, IIRC tickets were $5.00.  <sigh> + crap!  I was moving back to MichigIthaca that time with my folks and I missed the concert(s) with my friends by a week or two...  Watching it right now, wow...what memories.  That album was all over the radio back then...

Subject: Re: So what are some of your biggest 80's regrets?

Written By: warped on 07/30/12 at 6:58 pm

This is a good topic.  I have several regrets, which all fall into a few categories
1) Dating the wrong girls
2) Not Dating the right girls
3) Not acquiring my teacher's degree back in the 80s when I should have
4) Putting a down payment on a Condo in 1988 (instead of using the $ to buy a good car, 100% cash.)
5) Not travelling to New York the day I found out John Lennon died.
6) Not attending concerts by the Police, U2, Bob Seger, Styx (coz I thought I'd see them again when they came around again. Some did, some did not)
7) Having a better recollection of all the wild parties I attended and kept photos.
8.  Not stopping my best friend from marrying a total idiot.
9) Not pursuing a certain girl, when we had some wonderful moments together in 1980 , last year of high school
10) Not sending my dad to AA in the early 80s when (looking back now) I should have done before he caused damage

ahhhh, there's so much more.

Written By: CatwomanofV on 07/30/12 at 7:17 pm

Marrying my first husband.  ::)

Cat

Written By: Dagwood on 07/30/12 at 8:01 pm

Not going to college. 

Not realizing how good I had it.  But, I was just a silly high school kid that couldn't wait to grow up.  There are times I miss those days.  I remember how picked on I felt when my mom made me pay her $20 a month to cover my insurance.  I had no clue. ;D

Written By: amjikloviet on 07/30/12 at 8:15 pm

I don't regret anything from the '80s I was only a child so all I did was go to school, play with my friends, play with my toys, watch videos and my parents took care of me ;D I was too young to have any regrets...

Written By: moycon on 07/30/12 at 8:16 pm

Regret and 80's don't belong in the same sentence!! LOL
Seriously, I have no regrets that I can recall. Nothing I'd want to go back and "fix"
I wouldn't mind going back for a few days though! Sure was a fun time!

Written By: Howard on 07/31/12 at 6:36 am

I regret writing all over my baby book 25 years later I have no recolllection whatsoever as to why I did what I did.

Written By: wsmith4 on 07/31/12 at 9:56 am

The 80's was my childhood, so there isn't much I regret, other than maybe learning some really bad eating habits which I have been struggling with since.  Oh, and not taking good care of my teeth!  My parents had to BEG me to brush my teeth, and flossing was out of the question.  I'm paying for it now... 4 root canals and 2 pulled teeth.  Thankfully, they're not visible when I smile.

Written By: Howard on 07/31/12 at 7:21 pm

probably not sucking my thumb then in the Summer of 1985 had to wind up getting braces cause I wound up with buck teeth.

Written By: apollonia1986 on 07/31/12 at 8:44 pm

Missing a time where I could say "I like Michael Jackson"

--without some one saying sorry he died.
--without someone calling him gay.
--without someone calling him a pedophile and I have to break my hand on thier face.

Written By: Doc Brown on 08/01/12 at 4:49 pm

I never seemed able to get my hands on a top-of-the-line computer or game system. I was always the kid with the Odyssey 2 instead of the Atari 2600(I was a Pac-Maniac at the time and only Odyssey had it then), then the Commodore 64 instead of the Apple II-whatever, which I had no problem with until 1990 or so, when the software companies started making games and programs only for the Apple & IBM, so I was screwed. I still have my Commodore, and it works, if only I could find a TV old enough to hook it up to!

Your Pal,
Doc

8)

Written By: Howard on 08/01/12 at 7:07 pm

I never seemed able to get my hands on a top-of-the-line computer or game system. I was always the kid with the Odyssey 2 instead of the Atari 2600(I was a Pac-Maniac at the time and only Odyssey had it then), then the Commodore 64 instead of the Apple II-whatever, which I had no problem with until 1990 or so, when the software companies started making games and programs only for the Apple & IBM, so I was screwed. I still have my Commodore, and it works, if only I could find a TV old enough to hook it up to!

Your Pal,
Doc

8)

So why don't go and buy an Atari online?  ???

Written By: Doc Brown on 08/01/12 at 11:43 pm

So why don't go and buy an Atari online?  ???

Not the point, Howie. I didn't have one then like everyone else. No matter, my Odyssey was cool in my eyes. It wasn't until someone gave me an Atari "Flashback" model a few Christmases back that I found out about so many games I had never gotten to play!

Your Pal,
Doc

8)

Written By: Howard on 08/02/12 at 7:00 am

My Mother was painting at the time and I just grabbed a pair of scissors and cut my own bangs and then after that it shown in my class pictures of 1980, a small patch of hair was missing in the front but it took a couple of months for it to grow back. It was an embarassing time for me. 

If only The 38 year old me could've went back and told the 6 year old me to not cut your own hair cause you might not look good when taking class pictures.

Written By: Foo Bar on 08/03/12 at 11:05 pm

I was always the kid with the Odyssey 2 instead of the Atari 2600

(Now I wanna play UFO and KC Munchkin again.)

The Magnavox Odyssey2 still has a community!  Developers and hobbyists release a homebrew game or two every year, one which just came out this week.  (And if you don't have your original O2, there's an emulator available.)

Written By: 9symphony9 on 08/10/12 at 8:48 pm

None really. I listened to music all the time and remember most of the 80s music videos.

Written By: Reynolds1863 on 02/11/16 at 6:10 pm

Not watching all of Live Aid.
losing my Swatch.
Not seeing the Monkees in concert back in 86.
My hair during that whole decade.

Check for new replies or respond here...