inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: If you could relive just 1 day from the 80's... what would it be?

Written By: wsmith4 on 07/31/12 at 9:58 am

Ok, I admit, I created this topic and it's almost unanswerable because I have so many days I could choose from... but if I had to pick just 1, it would probably be a summer evening sometime in 1988 or 89, playing outside with my friends, pretending to be in contact with aliens on our walkie talkies.  It was so much fun, so imaginative... I was truly in another world that night and I never forgot it.  It's a prime example of how magical childhood can be.

Subject: Re: If you could relive just 1 day from the 80's... what would it be?

Written By: kingofpain on 07/31/12 at 10:26 am

Wasn't alive in the 80s, but if I could choose a date to travel to, I'd go with Feb 11, 1983.

Written By: wsmith4 on 07/31/12 at 10:40 am

What happened that day?

Written By: Inlandsvägen1986 on 07/31/12 at 11:33 am

November 9th, 1989: Fall of the Berlin Wall, but being able to understand what's happening in my country.

Written By: amjikloviet on 07/31/12 at 11:58 am

If I had to pick just one day I would love to relive December 25 1986. I was 6 years old and it was Christmas day, of course. Santa was really good to me that morning! lol.

Written By: Inertia on 07/31/12 at 12:11 pm

I'd like to go back to whatever day in 1989 that my sister put that turtle car wax on my face when I was a baby. Mom said I looked like a little green alien. I would have liked to have seen my mom's expression when she came in the room and saw me.

Written By: warped on 07/31/12 at 2:26 pm

Afternoon of Dec 8, 1980 and stop Mark David Chapman.

Written By: kingofpain on 07/31/12 at 6:18 pm

What happened that day?

An east coast blizzard.

Plus 1982-83 was very exciting in general, especially for new wave fans. Movies like Fast Times at Ridgemont High capture it well.

Written By: Howard on 07/31/12 at 7:14 pm

maybe someone could've stopped Mark Chapman and avoided shooting John Lennon.  :(

Written By: Howard on 07/31/12 at 7:16 pm

September 27th,1985. (the day Hurricane Gloria hit the Northeast)

Written By: Howard on 07/31/12 at 7:17 pm

An east coast blizzard.

Plus 1982-83 was very exciting in general, especially for new wave fans.

I remember the snowstorm.

Written By: apollonia1986 on 07/31/12 at 8:46 pm

I have 2:

May 16, 1983--the day MJ did the moonwalk on the Motown 25
February 28, 1984--the day MJ swept the Grammys...

OR

May 8, 1986, the day I was born just to see what it was like. Did it rain, was it sunny? LOL.

Written By: gibbo on 07/31/12 at 9:18 pm

This was the first thing that entered my mind when I read the topic.  The second thing was maybe I could've stopped Nirvana from forming!  :P

Written By: warped on 08/01/12 at 4:36 am

The second thing was maybe I could've stopped Nirvana from forming!  :P

A definite black letter day in the 80s.

Written By: Inlandsvägen1986 on 08/01/12 at 4:47 am

May 8, 1986, the day I was born just to see what it was like. Did it rain, was it sunny? LOL.

Good idea! I'd also like to get back to my birthday and go to the hospital where I have been born in.

Written By: wsmith4 on 08/01/12 at 6:12 am

September 27th,1985. (the day Hurricane Gloria hit the Northeast)

That is the day you'd relive?  Out of all the days in the entire decade, you'd choose the day that a hurricane hit?  I have a feeling that now you're going to post every day, choosing a different day each time, and they're not days that you want to relive, they're just monumental in some way...  >:(

I remember the day that hurricane hit, it was scary... wouldn't want to relive it.  :-\\

Written By: Howard on 08/01/12 at 6:30 am

Summer of 1980 I would've stopped myself from cutting my own bangs with a pair of scissors even though I was 6 years old, I don't know why I did it but I guess I too young to understand the consequences.

Written By: wsmith4 on 08/01/12 at 8:26 am

Summer of 1980 I would've stopped myself from cutting my own bangs with a pair of scissors even though I was 6 years old, I don't know why I did it but I guess I too young to understand the consequences.

So, are you saying your hair never grew back?  Was that the lasting consequence that has bothered you for 32 years, so much so that that is what you would do with a once in a lifetime chance to go back in time and relive a day in your life?

Maybe this would fit better in the "Biggest 80's regrets" thread?

Written By: Howard on 08/01/12 at 7:12 pm

So, are you saying your hair never grew back?  Was that the lasting consequence that has bothered you for 32 years, so much so that that is what you would do with a once in a lifetime chance to go back in time and relive a day in your life?

Maybe this would fit better in the "Biggest 80's regrets" thread?

My Mother was painting at the time and I just grabbed a pair of scissors and cut my own bangs and then after that it shown in my class pictures of 1980, a small patch of hair was missing in the front but it took a couple of months for it to grow back. It was an embarassing time for me. :-[

Written By: amjikloviet on 08/01/12 at 8:56 pm

My Mother was painting at the time and I just grabbed a pair of scissors and cut my own bangs and then after that it shown in my class pictures of 1980, a small patch of hair was missing in the front but it took a couple of months for it to grow back. It was an embarassing time for me. :-[

Aww...that's ok Howard, you were only 6 years old.

Written By: Jquar on 08/02/12 at 2:25 am

May 18, 1980

Day Mt. St. Helens erupted.

Written By: Howard on 08/02/12 at 6:57 am

Aww...that's ok Howard, you were only 6 years old.

That's what happens when you're 6 years old.

Written By: apollonia1986 on 08/02/12 at 11:09 pm

I noticed someone said they'd have stopped John Lennon from getting gunned down.

I'd like to stop a disaster too. Tchernobyl happened about a month before I was born and I'd like to stop it because an entire town had to relocate and everything and I've always felt bad for the people in that situation.
A part of me also wants to stop Michael head from exploding in the Pepsi commercial, but i think if it hadn't, he'd have never mopped up all the awards at the Grammys.  :(

So, i'd just save tchernobyl. And keep Marvin Gaye's dad from shooting him.

Written By: Howard on 08/03/12 at 5:30 am

And keep Marvin Gaye's dad from shooting him.

I would've done the same thing.

Written By: violet_shy on 02/02/20 at 6:10 pm

I'd go back to December 15, 1989...to my cousin's birthday party. Wish I could have been more chatty, lol. Plus, I liked what I wore.  :)

Written By: CatwomanofV on 02/05/20 at 2:19 pm

Personally, the 80s sucked for me. To me, the only good thing about the 80s was the music.

Cat

Written By: Howard on 02/05/20 at 4:18 pm

Personally, the 80s sucked for me. To me, the only good thing about the 80s was the music.

Cat

I agree, The 80's music was the best!  :)

Written By: AmericanGirl on 02/08/20 at 4:42 pm

One I'd like to relive is December 21, 1985.  I finally got my electrical engineering degree.  Plus a nice celebration with my family.  It had been a long time coming.  It was great and I already had a job lined up.

My future was so bright, I had to wear shades!  8)

Written By: violet_shy on 02/08/20 at 9:22 pm

One I'd like to relive is December 21, 1985.  I finally got my electrical engineering degree.  Plus a nice celebration with my family.  It had been a long time coming.  It was great and I already had a job lined up.

My future was so bright, I had to wear shades!  8)

Did you wear abstract patterned blouses with the high shoulders,the big puffy hair and the bright make up like my mom did in the '80s? I think you were about her age. My mom is 62 now. She was 28 in 1985.

Written By: AmericanGirl on 02/08/20 at 9:27 pm

Did you wear abstract patterned blouses with the high shoulders,the big puffy hair and the bright make up like my mom did in the '80s? I think you were about her age. My mom is 62 now. She was 28 in 1985.

I was always a bit subtle with makeup, but yes on the blouses and puffy hair.  It sounds like I'm not much younger than your mom.

Written By: CatwomanofV on 02/12/20 at 1:40 pm

I was always a bit subtle with makeup, but yes on the blouses and puffy hair.  It sounds like I'm not much younger than your mom.

I was taught that the key to wearing makeup is to make it look like you are not wearing any. I took that lesson when I was working on a show in my first year in college. We all had to do our own makeup and I just put it on a little bit heavier than I would normally wear it. Everyone else in the show didn't really know how to put on stage makeup and highlighted all the lines on their face which basically made them all look old. One of my professors saw the production and told me that I looked really good. Then he went on to say that all the others didn't look as good as I did and said that I had stage presence. I'm sure it had a lot to do with my makeup vs theirs.

Cat

Written By: oldmusicfan on 02/25/20 at 4:46 pm

September 22, 1986: The debut of ALF

I love ALF!

Written By: Howard on 02/26/20 at 4:44 am

September 22, 1986: The debut of ALF

I love ALF!

My Father used to record from television, just about almost every episode from ALF back in 1986.

Written By: oldmusicfan on 02/26/20 at 1:48 pm

My Father used to record from television, just about almost every episode from ALF back in 1986.

I loved collecting ALF merchandise in the late 80s. ALF was the one of the most exciting prime-time TV players.

Written By: Howard on 02/27/20 at 7:09 am

I loved collecting ALF merchandise in the late 80s. ALF was the one of the most exciting prime-time TV players.

He used to have an ALF doll and It was sitting in his car, it must have been a Burger King promotion of some sort.

Written By: Redhairkid on 02/27/20 at 8:04 am

My senior nephew liked ALF.
I would return to 10 July 1987 because I cut a recording.

Written By: oldmusicfan on 02/27/20 at 9:07 pm

He used to have an ALF doll and It was sitting in his car, it must have been a Burger King promotion of some sort.

The Burger King ALF puppets from early ‘88! That’s when well known toy companies made fast food toys. Only thing I would have done differently was include a comic similar to the Marvel ALF comics to go along the ALF puppets. The interaction between Willie, Lucky the cat, and ALF made the show.

Written By: Howard on 02/28/20 at 7:13 am

The Burger King ALF puppets from early ‘88! That’s when well known toy companies made fast food toys. Only thing I would have done differently was include a comic similar to the Marvel ALF comics to go along the ALF puppets. The interaction between Willie, Lucky the cat, and ALF made the show.

Willie was such a funny guy, I loved his character, he definitely made the show.

Written By: oldmusicfan on 02/28/20 at 8:11 am

Willie was such a funny guy, I loved his character, he definitely made the show.

Willie was the straight-laced guy who helped ALF to act right.

Written By: Howard on 02/28/20 at 2:23 pm

Willie was the straight-laced guy who helped ALF to act right.

He never really had much of a temper.

Written By: oldmusicfan on 02/28/20 at 3:33 pm

He never really had much of a temper.

Unless ALF messed up.

Check for new replies or respond here...