inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: What are some of the coolest things that happened to you in the 80's?

Written By: oingo_fan on 08/04/12 at 8:24 pm

I used to live in Arizona from 85-87.  One night a few friends and myself decided to go bowling.  We pulled up to the alley and there were trucks, light towers and people everywhere (turns out they were filming a movie).  They had the road in front barricaded and we had to wait until they finished filming a scene out in front.  After the all-clear we were allowed inside.  While we were bowling the director went on the PA system, telling eveyone to act natural, not look at the cameras and have fun.  The night proceeded, and I decided to play some video games in the arcade.  While playing a kid came up and asked if he could play against me next game.  I  agreed, and found out he was in the movie.  I asked him what it was about, he replied "It's about two guys who go back in time in order to complete a school project".  I STILL remember thinking, "wow, what a stupid idea".  We stumbled into the filming of  "Bill and Ted's Excellent Adventure". 

Subject: Re: What are some of the coolest things that happened to you in the 80's?

Written By: snozberries on 08/04/12 at 8:58 pm

I used to live in Arizona from 85-87.  One night a few friends and myself decided to go bowling.  We pulled up to the alley and there were trucks, light towers and people everywhere (turns out they were filming a movie).  They had the road in front barricaded and we had to wait until they finished filming a scene out in front.  After the all-clear we were allowed inside.  While we were bowling the director went on the PA system, telling eveyone to act natural, not look at the cameras and have fun.  The night proceeded, and I decided to play some video games in the arcade.  While playing a kid came up and asked if he could play against me next game.  I  agreed, and found out he was in the movie.  I asked him what it was about, he replied "It's about two guys who go back in time in order to complete a school project".  I STILL remember thinking, "wow, what a stupid idea".  We stumbled into the filming of  "Bill and Ted's Excellent Adventure".

so who were you playing the game against?

Subject: Re: What are some of the coolest things that happened to you in the 80's?

Written By: wildcard on 08/04/12 at 9:06 pm

I was born in 82.

Written By: oingo_fan on 08/04/12 at 9:19 pm

The kid who played the younger brother of Ted.

so who were you playing the game against?

Written By: c_keenan2001@hotmail.com on 08/05/12 at 2:00 am

One of the greatest things that ever happened to me happened when I was 9 year old.  My brother and I went with my mom and dad to Honest Ed's on Bloor street because Mr T was making a personal appearance there and we got to meet him and shake his hand and we had copies of his book Be Somebody or Be Somebody's Fool for him to autograph.  The only disappointing things that happened there were that I got caught in crush of people trying to get into the store and he only thing he had time to write in our copies of his book were MT.  But still it was a pretty exciting day.  :)

Oh and I got my CUCUMBER,
Children's
Underground
Club of
United
Moose and
Beaver For
Enthusiastic
Reporters,
badge and certifficate from TV Ontario, then chrissened the OECA.  :) I was really proud of that.  :)

Written By: warped on 08/05/12 at 7:57 am

- I met 2 of our Prime-ministers in the 80s (John Turner, Jean Chretien) , and had lengthy conversations with both.
- I met several Hockey players in the 80s (Gretzky, Lemieux, Howe, Hull, Rocket Richard)
- Attended many concerts (Stones, Police, Genesis, Floyd, Supertramp were some of the ones)
- Saw some really weird stuff at bars/clubs/parties
- Graduated from University

Written By: kingofpain on 08/05/12 at 1:13 pm

Being conceived 23 years ago.

Written By: Howard on 08/05/12 at 3:18 pm

collecting Michael Jackson memorabilia and storing them in a box 25 years later.

Written By: amjikloviet on 08/05/12 at 5:38 pm

When my sister was born in '84. Also, when I joined "Chance to Dance" in the late "80s.

Written By: gumbypiz on 08/05/12 at 9:50 pm

First real kiss with a girl in ’81.
Discovered that there was a world of amazing lesser known music outside of the tired, unoriginal crappy local soul and rock stations in ’82.
Drivers license/first car in ’83.
Discovered some great new/used record stores in Balt/DC area in ’83.
Graduated high school in ’85.
Can’t go into detail…ahem, NSFW in ’86. ;)
Got a job at a local record store in ’88.
Accepted and whet to art school in ’89.

Written By: Howard on 08/06/12 at 6:26 am

When my sister was born in '84. Also, when I joined "Chance to Dance" in the late "80s.

What was Chance To Dance? ???

Written By: wsmith4 on 08/06/12 at 7:35 am

Winning the gold at the 1988 Olympics for best hide and seek player

Being Madonna's best friend and helping her write "Borderline"

Creating Atari

Written By: Henk on 08/06/12 at 8:03 am

Let me guess...they're still trying to find you to hand the medal?  ::) ;)

Written By: amjikloviet on 08/06/12 at 9:17 am

What was Chance To Dance? ???

It was a state wide talent/dance program for children.

Written By: warped on 08/06/12 at 12:09 pm

Being Madonna's best friend and helping her write "Borderline"

Creating Atari

I see one lie here...I think you wrote "Borderline" by yourself.

Written By: CatwomanofV on 08/06/12 at 12:53 pm

-I was in a talent show and won second place in the dance category. I still have my trophy.
-Went to Europe-Greece but also took a short trip to Germany. Took a cruise around the Mediterranean-went to Egypt & Israel.

Cat

Written By: wsmith4 on 08/07/12 at 10:29 am

I see one lie here...I think you wrote "Borderline" by yourself.

ba-da-bum-ching!

Written By: Brian Henke on 08/07/12 at 7:44 pm

Meeting General Hospital star Emma Samms (she went on to Dynasty, which I feel was the defining TV show of the decade - she was on GH in the 90s and later in this Millennium). I told her GH was off the air in Dayton, OH and she didn't know about it! (GH was off the air there for 17 years!) :)

Seeing Wayne Gretzky play hockey in 1989

The 1987 World Figure Skating Championships here in Cincinnati (I went to the World Choir Games last month)

Seeing Raiders of the Lost Ark at a movie theater on the Fourth of July weekend in 1981

Check for new replies or respond here...