inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: What was this horror short film from the 80s?

Written By: pell on 08/10/12 at 12:03 am

I'm almost positive this was one of the short films HBO played during the day between other films to fill space during the mid-80s. A young woman drives with another person to see a house. We see her road trip there, then when she gets to the house, a lady shows her around. I think the lady was a servant in the house, and she has been telling the two visitors (house hunters?) that the place is haunted. When the young woman says that it all looks so familiar, the lady showing the house says something like: "Well it should look familiar. You're the one who's been haunting it."

Does anyone remember this? I'd love to see it again. I'm pretty sure it was on HBO, but it was certainly one of the cable channels and not network. I've searched for HBO "Short Takes" but this may have been before they used that name for the short films they showed.

Subject: Re: What was this horror short film from the 80s?

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 08/10/12 at 12:25 am

I'm almost positive this was one of the short films HBO played during the day between other films to fill space during the mid-80s. A young woman drives with another person to see a house. We see her road trip there, then when she gets to the house, a lady shows her around. I think the lady was a servant in the house, and she has been telling the two visitors (house hunters?) that the place is haunted. When the young woman says that it all looks so familiar, the lady showing the house says something like: "Well it should look familiar. You're the one who's been haunting it."

Does anyone remember this? I'd love to see it again. I'm pretty sure it was on HBO, but it was certainly one of the cable channels and not network. I've searched for HBO "Short Takes" but this may have been before they used that name for the short films they showed.

If you can name one of the actors in it, I can find it.

Written By: pell on 08/10/12 at 12:30 am

This was surely a low-budget independent film. If anyone in it were ever "discovered", I wouldn't remember them from it.

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 08/10/12 at 12:32 am

This was surely a low-budget independent film. If anyone in it were ever "discovered", I wouldn't remember them from it.

Thing is, I'm not a horror film buff, but I'm pretty good at tracking things down on the Internet.  With scant information you have, I could do it, but it might take some time I'd rather not spend!

Written By: pell on 08/10/12 at 12:44 am

I'm pretty good at searching, too, and though I haven't dug into it lately, the few times I have turned up nothing. The thread about the super fast guy movie made me think of it.

I was hoping someone would remember the title. The film was probably not more than ten minutes long, but I don't remember the production values being amateurish. It was most likely a film student project shot on 16mm.

Now that YouTube is ubiquitous, maybe the filmmaker posted it there. I'll have to do some keyword searches.

Anyway, thanks in advance for any help.

Written By: Foo Bar on 08/10/12 at 9:17 pm

It's vaguely familiar, and I think the key is going to be remembering whatever HBO called their Short Takes before they called them Short Takes. 

No promises on timeframes, but I think we (or someone out there) can eventually get this.

Written By: pell on 08/10/12 at 10:14 pm

Looking into it last night, it looks like they were already called Short Takes at the time I saw the film on TV. It must not have been popular enough to make it onto YouTube like a few of the popular shorts of the time.

It probably wasn't anything exceptional, but it struck me as creepy and stayed with me all these years.

Check for new replies or respond here...