inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: New 1980s-set drama involving the Cold War coming in 2013 on FX

Written By: yelimsexa on 08/15/12 at 6:32 am

http://artsbeat.blogs.nytimes.com/2012/08/09/fx-orders-cold-war-spy-drama-the-americans/

Next year, FX is planning on airing an '80s-period piece called "The Americans." This should help revive the '80s in a more historical context rather than just simply being a decade of MTV and I really hope it does well and lasts for at least several seasons, given that the '80s still haven't had a long running period piece like Happy Days, The Wonder Years, and That '70s Show did, and hope this doesn't turn out to be another Life on Mars or That '80s Show. It also takes place in suburban Washington DC, so it will be easy for me and especially my parents to tell how accurate the time period is accurately depicted. It looks to start in 1981 based on the information, so I hope it can last about eight seasons to see the entire Reagan administration and see the Cold War victory!

Subject: Re: New 1980s-set drama involving the Cold War coming in 2013 on FX

Written By: belmont22 on 08/15/12 at 10:52 pm

Should be interesting! It's kinda sad how the 1980s has gone from being 'a little while ago' and only different in superficial pop cultural ways to being an actual distinct epoch of history. But I guess it happens to every time, by 2042 this decade will be historical as well.

Written By: Foo Bar on 08/16/12 at 11:53 pm

http://artsbeat.blogs.nytimes.com/2012/08/09/fx-orders-cold-war-spy-drama-the-americans/

This could be fun.  I'll finally know how my parents felt when they saw Happy Days!

Written By: Stinkyy on 08/18/12 at 12:12 pm

Is this the same show that featured a U.S. submarine in its advertising?  That one looks pretty good.

Check for new replies or respond here...