inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: Obscure 80's video..please help!

Written By: ali on 09/03/12 at 5:55 pm

Posted this on another thread before I saw this one specifically for the 80s.

So, I've spent countless hours of my adult life desperately searching the internet for a music video from my childhood. Unfortunately, my brother lent the VHS tape on which the video was recorded to an ex and it's lost...FOREVER. 

Here's the rundown.  It was recorded on a VHS tape (likely from VH1) on a copy of Shelly Duval's Three Little Pigs.  I reference this because it gives a time frame roughly between 1980-1985.  The video was set in an imaginative desert scene.  The musicians rode fake horses (mimicking rocking horses) and there were erupting volcano-like structures and fires with fake paper flames.

So that is all my brother and I can come up with.  If you have any suggestions, please pass them on.  I will eagerly follow-up on all leads provided!!! 

Thank you in advance! -Ali

Subject: Re: Obscure 80's video..please help!

Written By: warped on 09/03/12 at 7:04 pm

Hi, I'm not helping ( quite yet).  ;D

Just inquiring as to what part of the world are you from. That might help narrow down what we are looking for. Is it an American song, Canadian  American, European, Australian, etc...

Music genre: Pop? Heavy metal? New wave?

Written By: ali on 09/03/12 at 9:29 pm

Hi, Thanks!

I'm in the US and I remember it as being akin to A-Ha, so maybe European?  I don't remember it as being a rock song.  Something with a smoother sound (in tempo with the rocking horse...haha)  It was so long ago that the melody has escaped me, so I was hoping the video would cue someone's memory.  Thank you so much for your response!! 

-Ali

It was
Hi, I'm not helping ( quite yet).  ;D

Just inquiring as to what part of the world are you from. That might help narrow down what we are looking for. Is it an American song, Canadian  American, European, Australian, etc...

Music genre: Pop? Heavy metal? New wave?

Written By: snozberries on 09/04/12 at 12:58 am

I'm not helping either but I'm posting because when it is figured out I'll see it!  :D

Whistledog, Clay Bricks or Henk are your best bets on this one.... just sit back and be patient you'll hear something soon

Written By: Henk on 09/04/12 at 3:03 am

Posted this on another thread before I saw this one specifically for the 80s.

So, I've spent countless hours of my adult life desperately searching the internet for a music video from my childhood. Unfortunately, my brother lent the VHS tape on which the video was recorded to an ex and it's lost...FOREVER. 

Here's the rundown.  It was recorded on a VHS tape (likely from VH1) on a copy of Shelly Duval's Three Little Pigs.  I reference this because it gives a time frame roughly between 1980-1985.  The video was set in an imaginative desert scene.  The musicians rode fake horses (mimicking rocking horses) and there were erupting volcano-like structures and fires with fake paper flames.

So that is all my brother and I can come up with.  If you have any suggestions, please pass them on.  I will eagerly follow-up on all leads provided!!! 

Thank you in advance! -Ali

Sorry - the video you described doesn't ring any bells. :-\\ For some reason though I'm thinking it * might * be a (goofy) cover version of America's A Horse With No Name.

Then again, it could be something entirely different as well. ;D

(Well, THAT was helpful!  ::))

Written By: Henk on 09/04/12 at 5:21 am

This probably isn't it, although it's set in a desert landscape... and it has explosions! And fire!! (But no fake horses)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bwXlj3zI_8c

Still... a great song!

Written By: warped on 09/04/12 at 6:51 am

Hi, just like Henk, I don't think it's the one, but looks like a desert scene, has fire..

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OawT1I8n1Ms

Written By: ali on 09/05/12 at 10:47 am

Thanks for the posts!  Unfortunately, none of these win the prize.  I'm still looking though!  I once woke up (albeit years ago) with the tune running through my mind.  So, it's tucked away in there somewhere!  So long as my college days didn't erase it completely!!

Written By: warped on 09/05/12 at 10:59 am

I'll try another one:

It has a desert, some fire, some explosions. It has Mel Gibson, who's been like a horses' ass at times  ;D 

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F1FPK5-Rm38&feature=related

Written By: Foo Bar on 09/06/12 at 10:43 pm

Here's the rundown.  It was recorded on a VHS tape (likely from VH1) on a copy of Shelley Duval's Three Little Pigs.  I reference this because it gives a time frame roughly between 1980-1985.  The video was set in an imaginative desert scene.  The musicians rode fake horses (mimicking rocking horses) and there were erupting volcano-like structures and fires with fake paper flames.

Vaguely familiar. Was the background orange?

I'm pretty sure I struck out on these two "obvious" guesses:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eoLHrq3z060
- Escape Club, Wild Wild West (which you'd remember from the freaky disembodied mirror image video effect, not the horses, and it was 87/88)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SHCsbrc8xKA
- Boys Don't Cry, I Wanna Be A Cowboy (1986, video featured black-and-white dream sequences, but filmed with real horses, not the toy rocking horses.)

Check for new replies or respond here...