inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: What was 1980 like?

Written By: belmont22 on 09/23/12 at 12:11 am

Was disco still big? Were shows like Charlie's Angels and films like Saturday Night Fever still seen as current?

Subject: Re: What was 1980 like?

Written By: Jquar on 09/24/12 at 6:55 pm

The disco backlash had already begun and disco had its last real stream of big hits in 1980 with songs like Funkytown by Lipps Inc. and Take Your Time, Do It Right by SOS Band. The way I see it in terms of popularity is

Disco > New Wave in 1979
Disco= New Wave in 1980
New Wave > Disco in 1981

1980 definitely feels more 70s than 80s when you look at the styles and popular trends.

Written By: Howard on 09/24/12 at 7:16 pm

1980 was almost the end of the disco era and into the electronic era of music.

Written By: warped on 09/24/12 at 7:24 pm

Was disco still big? Were shows like Charlie's Angels and films like Saturday Night Fever still seen as current?

I graduated high school in 1980.  Disco started to die in 1979 and really was on it's last legs in 1980. By the time our graduation came around, I don't recall anyone into disco anymore. The New Wave music movement was growing quickly and had surpassed Disco by even early 1980.  Of course most of us in school were into Pink Floyd, Genesis, Rush, Styx, Boston and The Police during this time period.

Charlie's Angels was still on TV. I stopped watching after Kate Jackson left.

I wouldn't say "Saturday night fever" was a current film, but it wasn't that old either, somewhere in between.

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 09/24/12 at 9:36 pm

John Lennon was still alive and Reagan wasn't President yet, so it was better than 1981.
::)

Written By: c_keenan2001@hotmail.com on 09/25/12 at 2:52 am

It wasn't untill early 1981 that we had groups like Duran Duran and Depeche Mode and then in 1983 there was Tears For Fears.  Most of the fore fathers of techno pop are still going strong today.  :)

Written By: Howard on 09/25/12 at 6:31 am

John Lennon was still alive and Reagan wasn't President yet, so it was better than 1981.
::)

Ronald Reagan was a good president.

Written By: Howard on 09/25/12 at 6:36 am

http://www.ioffer.com/img/item/141/719/861/solid-gold-soul-t-v-series-80-s-4-dvd-s-a4bc2.jpg

http://nycrophone.com/nyccms/wp-content/uploads/2012/02/Soul-Train-Download-Pic.png

You still had shows like Soul Train and Solid Gold.

Written By: Jenny1982 on 09/25/12 at 11:43 am

The disco backlash had already begun and disco had its last real stream of big hits in 1980 with songs like Funkytown by Lipps Inc. and Take Your Time, Do It Right by SOS Band. The way I see it in terms of popularity is

Disco > New Wave in 1979
Disco= New Wave in 1980
New Wave > Disco in 1981

1980 definitely feels more 70s than 80s when you look at the styles and popular trends.

In fact, many '0' years are argued by lots of people to be more like the previous decade than the upcoming one.

Random fun fact: "Spirit of Radio" by Rush is often cited as the first song of the 80s since it came out on January 1st, 1980.

Written By: tv on 09/28/12 at 5:52 pm

http://www.ioffer.com/img/item/141/719/861/solid-gold-soul-t-v-series-80-s-4-dvd-s-a4bc2.jpg

http://nycrophone.com/nyccms/wp-content/uploads/2012/02/Soul-Train-Download-Pic.png

You still had shows like Soul Train and Solid Gold.
Soul Train last television season was 2005-2006. I remember first seeing "Soul Train" in the early 90's.

Written By: amjikloviet on 09/28/12 at 5:57 pm

This is the year I was born<3 I am curious to know as well.

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 09/28/12 at 7:29 pm

Ronald Reagan was a good president.

HOW-ARD!

Do not push my buttons!
>:(

Written By: warped on 09/28/12 at 7:30 pm

News report, CBC news Toronto, Canada. August 1980.

Riot after Alice Cooper's no show at a concert in Toronto. I remember it well. Not the greatest quality video though. Gives you an idea what news was like in 1980, what people were wearing, etc...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WXO-lBDadzc

Note: For baseball fans, Paul Godfrey  (at 3:35) became the President and CEO of the Toronto Blue Jays some 20 years later.

Written By: c_keenan2001@hotmail.com on 09/28/12 at 8:44 pm

^^^Because the city at the time was just asking for trouble.  When you put alcohol and drugs, fanboys, and Alice Cooper all in the same place the city just asks for trouble.  ;)

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 09/28/12 at 10:15 pm

^^^Because the city at the time was just asking for trouble.  When you put alcohol and drugs, fanboys, and Alice Cooper all in the same place the city just asks for trouble.  ;)

My brother-in-law went to Alice Cooper in Detroit in 1979 and took liquor, pot, and speed and threw up all over the guy sitting in front of him.  That was the idea...
:-\\

Written By: c_keenan2001@hotmail.com on 09/29/12 at 1:16 am

My brother-in-law went to Alice Cooper in Detroit in 1979 and took liquor, pot, and speed and threw up all over the guy sitting in front of him.  That was the idea...

Yeah that's true.  That was the way that it was back then.  But just because you're a rock n roll fan that doesn't give anyone license to act like an a--hole and destroy city property.  :o

Written By: Howard on 09/29/12 at 3:48 pm

Soul Train last television season was 2005-2006. I remember first seeing "Soul Train" in the early 90's.

They should've called it "Rap Train".  ::)

Written By: Howard on 09/29/12 at 3:48 pm

HOW-ARD!

Do not push my buttons!
>:(

Sorry.  :(

Written By: Howard on 09/29/12 at 3:49 pm

1980 was the last year we got to see John Lennon.  :(

Written By: tv on 09/29/12 at 6:17 pm

They should've called it "Rap Train".  ::)
Well I remember the latin singer "Frankie J" on  towards the end of the run of the show so they probably did have singers on there still. I was flipping through the channels one day and I saw Frankie J on there. Yeah by the end of the run of the show rap was huge in popularity no doubt about that though.

Written By: warped on 09/29/12 at 8:01 pm

Yeah that's true.  That was the way that it was back then. 

So true. My friends and I (mostly my friends) used to drink so much before movies/concerts that if it ended up in one of us barfing all over the place, it was a memorable event.  High school mentality back then.  :-[

Written By: c_keenan2001@hotmail.com on 09/30/12 at 1:41 am

So true. My friends and I (mostly my friends) used to drink so much before movies/concerts that if it ended up in one of us barfing all over the place, it was a memorable event.  High school mentality back then.  :-[

That's true too.  :)

Written By: Howard on 09/30/12 at 3:00 pm

In 1980 I was in Kindergarden and was 6 years old.

Written By: c_keenan2001@hotmail.com on 09/30/12 at 3:35 pm

In 1980 I was in Kindergarden and was 6 years old.

I was 4 years old and in Jr Kindergarten.  And not the most pleasant of experiences.  :(

Written By: Howard on 10/01/12 at 6:30 am

I was 4 years old and in Jr Kindergarten.  And not the most pleasant of experiences.  :(

Were you picked on?  ???

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 10/01/12 at 7:40 pm

Have a Certs to clear your breath for the parents.  Never mind you drank so much bourbon it's steaming out your pores!
8-P

Written By: c_keenan2001@hotmail.com on 10/01/12 at 11:37 pm

Were you picked on?  ???

No the teacher was a stern bitch who hated me and I would always end up going home too stressed.  :(

Written By: belmont22 on 10/02/12 at 5:53 am

Have a Certs to clear your breath for the parents.  Never mind you drank so much bourbon it's steaming out your pores!
8-P

Do Certs even exist anymore? I loved them as a child, I haven't seen them in the store in ages.

Written By: Howard on 10/02/12 at 6:41 am

No the teacher was a stern bitch who hated me and I would always end up going home too stressed.  :(

I remember the teacher in 1980 picking on me and a lot of the kids had disabilities.  :(

Written By: Howard on 10/02/12 at 6:42 am

1980 had a lot of good Saturday Morning cartoons.

Written By: c_keenan2001@hotmail.com on 10/02/12 at 3:46 pm

1980 had a lot of good Saturday Morning cartoons.

Oh yeah!  1980 was definitely a good time to be a kid.

Written By: c_keenan2001@hotmail.com on 10/02/12 at 4:00 pm

I remember the teacher in 1980 picking on me and a lot of the kids had disabilities.  :(

That's bad.  Did she get fired for that?

My teacher was just mean.  She  just said mean things to me for some reason.  And her teaching assistant wasn't much better.  I remember the class had an indoor recess and the school had climber in the basement.  And I had climbed up the stairs and went down the slide head first and I did this several times until my shoelace came undone and got caught in the side of the slide.  And she had this mean look on her face and she said "Celeste that's why we go down feet first?"?

Why would you take a job as a Junior Kindergarten teaching assistant if you're going to be mean like that?

Written By: Howard on 10/03/12 at 6:39 am

My teacher was just mean.  She  just said mean things to me for some reason.  And her teaching assistant wasn't much better.  I remember the class had an indoor recess and the school had climber in the basement.  And I had climbed up the stairs and went down the slide head first and I did this several times until my shoelace came undone and got caught in the side of the slide.  And she had this mean look on her face and she said "Celeste that's why we go down feet first?"?

Why would you take a job as a Junior Kindergarten teaching assistant if you're going to be mean like that?

You know Celeste I don't know why a Kindergarden teacher would have a job like that, I was 6 years old.

Written By: Howard on 10/03/12 at 6:41 am

You had good funky old school rap.

Written By: warped on 10/03/12 at 6:45 am

You had good funky old school rap.

They did? Didn't hear any over here (Canada...THANK YOU!!!)  ;D
I'm just glad I was spared from rap until the late 80s.

Written By: Howard on 10/03/12 at 7:35 am

They did? Didn't hear any over there (Canada...THANK YOU!!!)  ;D
I'm just glad I was spared from rap until the late 80s.

between 1980-1985 in New York had some good music like The Treacherous Three, Funky Four +1, RUN DMC, The Sugarhill Gang, Kurtis Blow, Fat Boys and others.

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 10/03/12 at 7:18 pm

Because she's a mean person.  If she was a nuclear physicist, she'd be a mean nuclear physicist.
:D

My kindergarten teacher, Mrs. Petit (pronounced peh-TEE') wore razor sharp artificial fingernails.  She didn't mean to inflict pain, but if she grabbed you by the arm, you'd get five red indentations!  And what a fashion plate. I remember looking at a liquor ad on the back of the New Yorker and saying, "Hey, is that Mrs. Petit?"  Don't know why she felt compelled to dress like a Park Avenue socialite to teach a pack of messy five-year-olds, but whatever floats your boat.  Anyway, that was 1975, not 1980, and the old girl's probably dead as a doornail now.

Written By: c_keenan2001@hotmail.com on 10/03/12 at 7:35 pm

You know Carol I don't know why a Kindergarden teacher would have a job like that, I was 6 years old.

Oh Howard! My name's not Carol.  It's Celeste.  :)

Written By: Howard on 10/03/12 at 8:06 pm

Oh Howard! My name's not Carol.  It's Celeste.  :)

nice to meet you.  :)

Written By: c_keenan2001@hotmail.com on 10/03/12 at 10:42 pm

nice to meet you.  :)

It's nice to meet you too.  :)

Written By: Howard on 10/04/12 at 7:18 am

In 1980 you still had Atari.

Written By: 80sfan on 10/04/12 at 10:25 am

Michael Jackson had not peaked yet with Thriller. Prince didn't really become popular until 1982's '1999'.

I think Off The Wall of Michael Jackson's was still selling.

Written By: warped on 10/04/12 at 12:59 pm

Yeah, some singles from that album was still on the charts in 1980, no doubt about that. I feel it's his best solo effort, that "Off the Wall" album, since I didn't like pretty much what he did after that. "Rock with you" was the #17 song that year in Canada.

The top 3 were "Another Brick in the wall, part 2" (Pink Floyd) , "A crazy little thing called love" (Queen), "Call me" (Blondie)

Top 5 albums in Canada that year were
1. Pink Floyd -The Wall
2- Billy Joel - Glass Houses
3. Bob Seger - Against the wind
4. Styx - Cornerstone
5. Genesis - Duke.

Written By: Howard on 10/04/12 at 3:20 pm

Michael Jackson had not peaked yet with Thriller. Prince didn't really become popular until 1982's '1999'.

and his video Rock With You was a hit in 1980 too.

Check for new replies or respond here...