inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: Would you say the physical appearance of the US hasn't changed much?

Written By: belmont22 on 09/25/12 at 12:47 pm

Compared to the late 80's? Take a look at these videos, both from 1988:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OinF1i8dj6E

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wB2Z08za1vI

The signage and architecture are for the most part very similar to today. The main difference would be the cars and clothes people are wearing, but it doesn't really look very old timey at all. I could be sent back 23-26 years in time and almost feel like not too much was different at first sight. It seems like most of the differences between the 80's and 10's are the things you can't readily see walking down the street, such as the Internet.

Subject: Re: Would you say the physical appearance of the US hasn't changed much?

Written By: belmont22 on 09/25/12 at 12:48 pm

I feel like in a lot of foreign countries though, like say China, Australia or Canada it might be somewhat of a different story, but America's infrastructure has aged and not a whole lot of new things have been built over the past generation.

Subject: Re: Would you say the physical appearance of the US hasn't changed much?

Written By: Howard on 09/25/12 at 1:54 pm

It has gotten much more noisier during the past 25 years.

Written By: Jquar on 09/25/12 at 3:40 pm

Yeah I don't think any time in the last 30 years looks too old timey. The 80s would be pretty recognizable to today for most places in the US. I mean, McDonalds and Burger King were all over the place by then. No Starbucks though.

Written By: tv on 09/25/12 at 4:21 pm

Well the signage in NYC for places like restaraunts has changed alot in the past 24 years as I see that youtube pic from '88.

Written By: belmont22 on 09/25/12 at 5:34 pm

Yeah I don't think any time in the last 30 years looks too old timey. The 80s would be pretty recognizable to today for most places in the US. I mean, McDonalds and Burger King were all over the place by then. No Starbucks though.

I remember Starbucks getting big around 1996/97. But if you lived in Oregon, Washington or British Columbia it was plenty big in the 80s!

Written By: Brian06 on 09/25/12 at 5:38 pm

You can say the basics haven't changed a lot since the '50s or even earlier, I don't know what kind of change you're expecting tbh. There's this mall in the Cleveland area, I saw a photo from the '60s and the area basically looks the same today.

Written By: belmont22 on 09/25/12 at 5:41 pm

You can say the basics haven't changed a lot since the '50s or even earlier, I don't know what kind of change you're expecting tbh. There's this mall in the Cleveland area, I saw a photo from the '60s and the area basically looks the same today.

I guess I'm expecting people on horseback.  ;D Nah I'm just saying, I would have expected a lot more details like the street lights and stuff to look older, but it actually all kinda looks the same aside from the cars and what people are wearing and even the latter isn't as different as you'd expect seeing it juxtaposed into real life.

Written By: Brian06 on 09/25/12 at 5:43 pm

I guess I'm expecting people on horseback.  ;D Nah I'm just saying, I would have expected a lot more details like the street lights and stuff to look older, but it actually all kinda looks the same aside from the cars and what people are wearing and even the latter isn't as different as you'd expect seeing it juxtaposed into real life.

Well the signs and cars are different too, there's differences you're just expecting too much.

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 09/25/12 at 11:47 pm

When I go back to the area of New Hampshire I grew up in until 1983, it's much more built up and suburban.  I think this is true of a lot of areas that once were rural.  We think of suburbanization as occurring only post-WWII and into the sixties, but the U.S. has added tens of millions in the past 30 years and a lot of them are living in newer developments.

Written By: c_keenan2001@hotmail.com on 09/26/12 at 12:56 am

I feel like in a lot of foreign countries though, like say China, Australia or Canada it might be somewhat of a different story, but America's infrastructure has aged and not a whole lot of new things have been built over the past generation.

Canada a foreign country?! Dude we're right next door to you.  We're not THAT foreign. :o

Written By: belmont22 on 09/26/12 at 3:33 am

Canada a foreign country?! Dude we're right next door to you.  We're not THAT foreign. :o

It's similar enough, all I'm saying is that British Columbia and Mississippi really aren't that alike.  ;)

Written By: Howard on 09/26/12 at 7:19 am

But The U.S. did have a Dunkin Donuts at that time.

Written By: Howard on 09/26/12 at 7:29 am

There's a lot more fast food joints than 25 years ago.

Written By: Inlandsvägen1986 on 09/26/12 at 10:53 am

It's similar enough, all I'm saying is that British Columbia and Mississippi really aren't that alike.  ;)

Washington and Florida aren't either. Or Maine and Arizona. And it's still the same country  8)

Written By: belmont22 on 09/26/12 at 10:55 am

Washington and Florida aren't either. Or Maine and Arizona. And it's still the same country  8)

This is true. But there's still a common 'Americanness' to all those places. You have to actually visit Canada to understand but it IS different. I love it up there. :)

Written By: Inlandsvägen1986 on 09/26/12 at 11:03 am

Compared to the late 80's? Take a look at these videos, both from 1988:

The signage and architecture are for the most part very similar to today. The main difference would be the cars and clothes people are wearing, but it doesn't really look very old timey at all. I could be sent back 23-26 years in time and almost feel like not too much was different at first sight. It seems like most of the differences between the 80's and 10's are the things you can't readily see walking down the street, such as the Internet.

I agree with this. I have visited some places in the United States and I was surprised how 'old school' some stuff is - next to extremely modern architecture.

Another aspects that I could observe in the United States (and which I actually like!!):

-A lot of Motel Rooms look VERY 80's 
-Railroad stations, especially in rural areas, look like the stations we had over here in Germany a long time before I was born. They have a 1940's or 1950's atmosphere - and if you are traveling by railroad it is like in Europe in the 60's.

Written By: Inlandsvägen1986 on 09/26/12 at 11:09 am

This is true. But there's still a common 'Americanness' to all those places. You have to actually visit Canada to understand but it IS different. I love it up there. :)

I was in Canada; in Ontario and in BC - and for me as a European it is like a light (and more expensive) version of the USA ;)
In my opinion there is a lot 'Americanness' in Canada - especially street scenes look very similar. But remember that these are only superficial observations from a German point of view. The culture is definetly a bit different

Written By: c_keenan2001@hotmail.com on 09/26/12 at 12:41 pm

Having been in Ontario my entire life I can tell you that where I'm living, which is in the middle of the province,  has changed a lot since I moved here.  And every 10 minutes another new housing development is going up.  What I would give for my town to go back to the way that it was previously instead of the busy little party town that it is now.  :o

Written By: belmont22 on 09/26/12 at 12:49 pm

I was in Canada; in Ontario and in BC - and for me as a European it is like a light (and more expensive) version of the USA ;)
In my opinion there is a lot 'Americanness' in Canada - especially street scenes look very similar. But remember that these are only superficial observations from a German point of view. The culture is definetly a bit different

Certainly the two would seem very similar to a European. Hell, I'd probably see somewhat of a common 'Europeanness' to France and Germany! ;)

I think a few of the things that make Canada different would be the fact hockey is religion there, they have some different chains than us (Tim Hortons, Harveys, Swiss Chalet, Second Cup, among others) and some chains we have in the US don't exist up there (Jack In The Box, Hardees/Carl's Jr, and Chic-Fil-A, to name a few), they lack the heavy partisan political culture we have in the US though unfortunately it's slowly being imported up there, they're generally far less interested in politics in general. The demographics are quite different too, Canada is a slightly older population but more importantly they have a much stronger Native presence, their black people are different culturally as many of them are native Africans and the deep-rooted Black Canadian families don't differ culturally from the white Canadians the way white and black Americans have their own cultures. Hispanics are also much less common in Canada and people born in Europe are much less common in the US, Canada is a much younger country and they're actually still going through their first or second wave of non-Anglo-Celtic immigration.

The main similarities would be the appearance of roads and suburbs, though Canada is quite a bit denser built than the US you won't find the insane kind of sprawl you'll see in places like Phoenix and Houston. The accent too is also very similar, I can tell the difference but I doubt that a German could. Canada doesn't really have its own pop culture either, aside from a few token things they pretty much listen to the same music and watch the same TV Americans do, they're still very proud of the artists and actors that came from Canada though. And obviously they speak the same language except for in Quebec and some pockets of Ontario, New Brunswick and Manitoba (though Newfoundland English might as well be its own language  ;D  )

Written By: belmont22 on 09/26/12 at 12:53 pm

Having been in Ontario my entire life I can tell you that where I'm living, which is in the middle of the province,  has changed a lot since I moved here.  And every 10 minutes another new housing development is going up.  What I would give for my town to go back to the way that it was previously instead of the busy little party town that it is now.  :o

Canada's been modernized a lot more over the past 30 years than the US. All of those glass towers in Vancouver and Toronto look spectacular, compared to the US' very old-school downtowns. BTW have you ever been to Parry Sound? I was there this April, very pretty little northern Ontario town.  :)

Written By: Inlandsvägen1986 on 09/26/12 at 1:03 pm

Certainly the two would seem very similar to a European. Hell, I'd probably see somewhat of a common 'Europeanness' to France and Germany! ;)

Definetly. Even I feel already somewhat home when I come back from America and my plane lands for example in Amsterdam/Netherlands - even if it's still a different country. Nearly all western and central Europan countries share similarities which is also a bit sad. Since the European Union was founded, the individual countries slowly start to lose their identity. Even the currency is the same (for most countries).

The accent too is also very similar, I can tell the difference but I doubt that a German could.

Not every German. That's true. I am studying English so it's a bit easier for me, however there are also big differences within the United States.

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 09/26/12 at 5:57 pm

Canada's been modernized a lot more over the past 30 years than the US. All of those glass towers in Vancouver and Toronto look spectacular, compared to the US' very old-school downtowns. BTW have you ever been to Parry Sound? I was there this April, very pretty little northern Ontario town.  :)

I also notice most of the towers in your prairie cities, such as Winnipeg and Edmonton, have gone up in the past 30 years.

Written By: belmont22 on 09/26/12 at 6:16 pm

I also notice most of the towers in your prairie cities, such as Winnipeg and Edmonton, have gone up in the past 30 years.

I'm actually not Canadian I just visit there a lot (though my mom's family is partially Canadian).

Written By: Brian06 on 09/26/12 at 7:09 pm

I've been to Europe and Canada, Europe definitely seems a lot more foreign. Canada is different though of course and they have many things unique to their country even though we Americans can still feel kind of at home when we visit. It's different but close enough that you know America isn't very far away.

Written By: tv on 09/28/12 at 6:06 pm

I agree with this. I have visited some places in the United States and I was surprised how 'old school' some stuff is - next to extremely modern architecture.

Another aspects that I could observe in the United States (and which I actually like!!):

-A lot of Motel Rooms look VERY 80's 
-Railroad stations, especially in rural areas, look like the stations we had over here in Germany a long time before I was born. They have a 1940's or 1950's atmosphere - and if you are traveling by railroad it is like in Europe in the 60's.
I remember being in a hotel room outside of Atlantic City in 2009 and the hotel room had a Zenith TV and the Zenith name hasn't been around in years. I have traveled some in the past few years. Some of the rooms do look old but some others don't. It depends when they were built. The Comfort Inn in Springfield, Massachusetts looked pretty new and up to date as did "The Courtyard Mariott" in Norwalk, Connecticut. La Quinta Suites in Stamford, Connecticut that looks old as did "The Clarion" in Springfield, Massachusetts.

The railroad systems in the US unless they have been traveled by commuters 5 days a week probably haven't been probably updated in ions. I did think shipping freight by train was coming back for some reason a few years ago because of companies like CSX.

Written By: warped on 09/29/12 at 8:53 pm

Would you say the physical appearance of the US hasn't changed much?

Before:

http://4.bp.blogspot.com/-ZlArw7AtzP0/ToMaEUy0JyI/AAAAAAAAAS8/vbBdZfM_7Ok/s1600/map_of-usa.jpg

After:

http://i.chzbgr.com/completestore/2011/11/3/dc0d1932-791f-46be-ab78-b3c3293871e6.jpg

Yeah, guess it's changed.

;D :D

Written By: c_keenan2001@hotmail.com on 10/03/12 at 8:27 am

I haven't been to Toronto in over 16 years also I forget what it's been like in that time.  I forgot just how dirty and smelly Toronto actually is :P
Sometimes I just want to go back to Toronto but I don't because of how horrible it is.  But you know what?  Toronto is where I was born and I think I'd like to go back when it's possible for me to go back.

Written By: belmont22 on 10/03/12 at 3:30 pm

I haven't been to Toronto in over 16 years also I forget what it's been like in that time.  I forgot just how dirty and smelly Toronto actually is :P
Sometimes I just want to go back to Toronto but I don't because of how horrible it is.  But you know what?  Toronto is where I was born and I think I'd like to go back when it's possible for me to go back.

Dirty and smelly? Really I thought it was very clean and nice. Maybe it's improved a lot since 1996 :)

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 10/03/12 at 7:03 pm

Dirty and smelly? Really I thought it was very clean and nice. Maybe it's improved a lot since 1996 :)

BTW, I'm used to maps, so when people say "Northern Ontario," I think of Hudson Bay, not Sudbury!  My ex-girlfriend's family had a place out in Dwight, near Huntsville, which is pretty near Parry Sound.  They probably still go out there, but 20 years later who knows.

Written By: Howard on 10/03/12 at 7:10 pm

Belmont Have you been to New York before? The physical appearance has changed a lot.

Written By: belmont22 on 10/03/12 at 8:40 pm

BTW, I'm used to maps, so when people say "Northern Ontario," I think of Hudson Bay, not Sudbury!  My ex-girlfriend's family had a place out in Dwight, near Huntsville, which is pretty near Parry Sound.  They probably still go out there, but 20 years later who knows.

Ontario is kind of funny. Northern Ontario basically means anywhere more than an hour and a half north of Toronto, though generally excluding the area northeast of Toronto. By the time you get past a town called Coldwater, going north, you enter the boreal forest and Canadian shield. Parry Sound is only 3 hours north of Toronto yet it already very much feels like northern Ontario.

Written By: belmont22 on 10/03/12 at 8:43 pm

Belmont Have you been to New York before? The physical appearance has changed a lot.

Not yet, I'm gonna visit soon though!

Written By: warped on 10/03/12 at 8:51 pm

Anything north of Algonquin park in Northern Ontario.  Parry Sound is borderline Northen Ontario.
I've been to Parry Sound and Coldwater. Lots of snow in the wintertime.

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 10/03/12 at 10:31 pm

Ontario is kind of funny. Northern Ontario basically means anywhere more than an hour and a half north of Toronto, though generally excluding the area northeast of Toronto. By the time you get past a town called Coldwater, going north, you enter the boreal forest and Canadian shield. Parry Sound is only 3 hours north of Toronto yet it already very much feels like northern Ontario.

Not much for roads north of the Trans-Canada Highway.  You have to fly or float to get waaaay up north.  There must be some sweet fishing up in the boonies. 

Written By: belmont22 on 10/04/12 at 12:20 am

Anything north of Algonquin park in Northern Ontario.  Parry Sound is borderline Northen Ontario.
I've been to Parry Sound and Coldwater. Lots of snow in the wintertime.

Indeed, I was there in April and it was still 37F/3C and snowing, not sticking to the ground but very cold nonetheless. It felt a lot colder than that too, I would bet the wind chill and dampness made it feel at least as cold as -10C or so. Yeah I've heard it's considered 'central Ontario', I'd still say it has a lot more in common with Sudbury or Timmins than it does with Stoney Creek or Orangeville though so I would consider it Northern if I had to pick.

Damn, can someone get me on a flight back to Ontario? I loved it there!

Written By: Howard on 10/04/12 at 7:10 am

Not yet, I'm gonna visit soon though!

New York has changed a lot over the past number of years.

Written By: 80sfan on 10/04/12 at 10:27 am

I predict by 2060 we start looking 'futuristic'.  ;D

Written By: 80sfan on 10/04/12 at 10:30 am

http://3.bp.blogspot.com/_X70sUEaKNGI/R5eHk15Wc-I/AAAAAAAACvE/53v1PQ3HpCY/s400/bill_owens.gif

http://www.baltimorphosis.com/images/article1/suburbangrowth.jpg

Written By: Howard on 10/04/12 at 3:25 pm

I predict by 2060 we start looking 'futuristic'.  ;D

just wait another 45 years.

Written By: Ashkicksass on 10/04/12 at 4:31 pm

What about all the big box stores that weren't around even 20 years ago.  When I was growing up there was no WalMart or Home Depot or Costco.

Written By: belmont22 on 10/04/12 at 7:37 pm

What about all the big box stores that weren't around even 20 years ago.  When I was growing up there was no WalMart or Home Depot or Costco.

Actually Walmart and Home Depot have been around since the 70's and Costco since 1983, but you're right, they didn't spread to some places until well into the 2000's. In fact there are still some places in the US that don't have them. From what I remember Home Depot was pretty well established by the mid 90's though, at least in western states so I couldn't imagine that in the late 80's/early 90's they were still that rare.

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 10/04/12 at 11:52 pm

Actually Walmart and Home Depot have been around since the 70's and Costco since 1983, but you're right, they didn't spread to some places until well into the 2000's. In fact there are still some places in the US that don't have them. From what I remember Home Depot was pretty well established by the mid 90's though, at least in western states so I couldn't imagine that in the late 80's/early 90's they were still that rare.

The first Walmarts didn't pop up in New England until about 1990 and it wasn't until about '93 or '94 that I started seeing them regularly.  Walmart would not only kill off downtown independent stores but also regional department stores, such as Ames, Bradlee's, and Caldor.   

The first time I heard of Walmart it was when they refused to carry the Dead Kennedys' "Frankenchrist" record in 1985!
::)
::)

Written By: Ashkicksass on 10/05/12 at 12:03 pm

There may have been some, but the big stores weren't nearly as prevelant as they are today. 

Written By: 80sfan on 10/05/12 at 12:44 pm

just wait another 45 years.

Then 2012 will look 'old'!  ;D

Written By: warped on 10/05/12 at 1:36 pm

There may have been some, but the big stores weren't nearly as prevelant as they are today.

The first Walmart came to Canada in the early 1990s. Why'd they open such a huge store to only sell ski hats, hockey sticks, blocks of ice and red mountie uniforms, I'll never know  ;D

Written By: Howard on 10/05/12 at 3:15 pm

What did you have 20 years ago?

Written By: belmont22 on 10/05/12 at 7:03 pm

The first Walmart came to Canada in the early 1990s. Why'd they open such a huge store to only sell ski hats, hockey sticks, blocks of ice and red mountie uniforms, I'll never know  ;D

;D

This says Wal-Mart expanded into Canada in 1994 by buying out a bunch of stores.

http://corporate.walmart.com/our-story/heritage/history-timeline

Written By: whistledog on 10/05/12 at 7:55 pm

;D

This says Wal-Mart expanded into Canada in 1994 by buying out a bunch of stores.

http://corporate.walmart.com/our-story/heritage/history-timeline

Wal-Mart Canada bought out Woolco.
Woolco department stores closed their American locations in 1982, but they were still all across Canada until Wal-Mart bought them out in 1994.

I still have an old blank VHS tape that has the Woolco logo on it

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/thumb/4/4c/Woolco_Logo.svg/200px-Woolco_Logo.svg.png

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 10/05/12 at 7:55 pm

Don't forget yer back bacon, eh!
:)

Written By: AL-B Mk. III on 10/05/12 at 8:07 pm

Yes and no.

This picture, which I took in Nashville, Tennessee last week, illustrates this quite well:

http://i149.photobucket.com/albums/s78/AL-B_photos/Mid%20South%20Music%20and%20Tragical%20History%20Tour%202012/1661_zpsaccb128e.jpg

This was taken on Broadway Street and the buildings in the foreground (which are a series of honky-tonk bars which Nashville is famous for) are most likely at least 100 years old, and they probably don't look much different then they did 40 or 50 years ago. Yet looming ominously in the background is that massive AT&T building, which looks like it could have been straight out of Blade Runner.  :o :o :o

Written By: Starde on 10/06/12 at 2:44 am

Yes and no.

This picture, which I took in Nashville, Tennesee last week, illustrates this quite well:

http://i149.photobucket.com/albums/s78/AL-B_photos/Mid%20South%20Music%20and%20Tragical%20History%20Tour%202012/1661_zpsaccb128e.jpg

This was taken on Broadway Street and the buildings in the foreground (which are a series of honky-tonk bars which Nashville is famous for) are most likely at least 100 years old, and they probably don't look much different then they did 40 or 50 years ago. Yet looming ominously in the background is that massive AT&T building, which looks like it could have been straight out of Blade Runner.  :o :o :o

Whoa! No kidding! :o Such a vast contrast between the two.

Written By: Howard on 10/06/12 at 3:21 pm

Wal-Mart Canada bought out Woolco.
Woolco department stores closed their American locations in 1982, but they were still all across Canada until Wal-Mart bought them out in 1994.

I still have an old blank VHS tape that has the Woolco logo on it

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/thumb/4/4c/Woolco_Logo.svg/200px-Woolco_Logo.svg.png

I remember Woolco.

Written By: AL-B Mk. III on 10/06/12 at 3:56 pm

Whoa! No kidding! :o Such a vast contrast between the two.

http://25.media.tumblr.com/tumblr_lig4gyGtDP1qznn00o1_500.jpg

http://i149.photobucket.com/albums/s78/AL-B_photos/arrrrrgh.gif

;D

Written By: whistledog on 10/06/12 at 9:15 pm

Has the physical appearance of the US changed?  Let's see ...

United States in the 1980s ...
http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/thumb/4/46/1980_Senate_election_map.svg/300px-1980_Senate_election_map.svg.png

United States in the 2010s ...
http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/thumb/e/e0/2010_Senate_election_results_map.svg/350px-2010_Senate_election_results_map.svg.png

Looks the same to me!

Written By: Starde on 10/09/12 at 12:38 am

http://25.media.tumblr.com/tumblr_lig4gyGtDP1qznn00o1_500.jpg

http://i149.photobucket.com/albums/s78/AL-B_photos/arrrrrgh.gif

;D

;D

Check for new replies or respond here...