inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: Do you think the 80's seem as old today as the 50's did then?

Written By: belmont22 on 10/05/12 at 11:43 pm

As hard as it might be to believe, the 80's are now half as old as the 50's!  :o In fact, the beginning of the 80's is almost as close to the end of World War 2 as it is to now.

Do you think 30 years seems as long now as it did then though? After all, the 50's pre-dated the hippie movement and had a lot of Victorian values, television was a novelty and most of the globe was pre-modern. By the 80's, the majority of people living on Earth probably had at least semi-modern lifestyles, there were a billion TV sets by the time the 80's ended and more people with than without electricity I'm pretty sure.

Parents also had their children a bit younger in the 50's so the generation gap between the 50's and 80's is larger than between the 80's and now.

On the other hand though, there was for all intents and purposes no Internet in the 80s, and computers while common in developed countries were still only used by certain kinds of people. They were a major part of the infrastructure though. Cell phones were rare and personal communications were in many ways more like the early 20th century than like today. But the people themselves seemed about as modern and liberal as today's people except maybe on the issue of gay rights. The Civil Rights movement was over by 1980 and society had settled into its current neo-conservative status quo. And the world population started to slow in its growth by 1990.

Do you think on the whole the world of 1982 more closely resembles the contemporary world, or the world of 1952?

Subject: Re: Do you think the 80's seem as old today as the 50's did then?

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 10/06/12 at 12:00 am

Post-1960s is post-1960s.  Marty McFly going back to 1982 form 2012 would feel at a loss without the Internet or anywhere to charge his Smartphone.  He wouldn't have too much trouble socially.  In fact he might have more fun.  1982 was less politically correct than today!
8)

Written By: belmont22 on 10/06/12 at 2:05 am

Post-1960s is post-1960s.  Marty McFly going back to 1982 form 2012 would feel at a loss without the Internet or anywhere to charge his Smartphone.  He wouldn't have too much trouble socially.  In fact he might have more fun.  1982 was less politically correct than today!
8)

Very true! When did society become stiflingly politically correct? I mean it wasn't over night, but if you had to give a year.

Written By: Jquar on 10/06/12 at 3:16 am

Social trends as a whole haven't changed drastically since the late 1960s, when the Civil Rights Era reached its zenith and different forms of expression started to become accepted. So with that in mind I have to think the difference between 1982 and 2012 would feel pretty minor compared to the difference between 1952 and 1982.

Written By: warped on 10/06/12 at 6:47 am

Hey, there's no option for:

"The 50s seem more closer to today than the 80s were"  :D

'Do you think the 80's seem as old today as the 50's did then?', I'd answer "no", but I think you would get a better answer from someone presently in their 80s or 90s who have experience both decades as adults.

Written By: 80sfan on 10/06/12 at 9:05 am

For some reason for me, no. And I think for a lot of people too. I think like Maxwell said, post 60s is post 60s. I think the 60s changed SO MUCH in our culture that it was one of those periods in history where the 10 year change was like a 30 year change in just 10 years! That's why people talk about the 60s all the time, because it was such a big time everywhere in the world.

Written By: af2010 on 10/06/12 at 10:51 am

Well I don't remember what the 50s seemed like in the 80s, but my guess would be no.  Like other people have said, the social progress in the 60s was much bigger than anything that's happened between the 80s and today in that regard.  As far as popular culture goes, I'd again say more changed between the 50s-80s (largely because of the social changes), although it has changed a lot since the 80s.  Technologically, I think more has changed in the last 30 years.

Written By: Emman on 10/06/12 at 1:18 pm

I think socially and culturally, like others have said, there's post-late '60s/'70s and before, now technologically(especially in regards to information technology), I think there's post late '90s/'00s and before. 1982 is still very retro though in terms of music, fashion, graphic design, ect.
I think the neo conservative paradigm that emerged in the very late '70s/early '80s is coming to an end as of the late '00s, economically I think we're moving into a liberal era(like the one from 1933-1969-ish), so government will probably grow a lot bigger(which kind of disgusts me).

I think the time period from around the early '70s to the late '00s will be looked at as a period of great individualism come circa 2030.

Written By: amjikloviet on 10/06/12 at 2:12 pm

I'm just going to say, yes.

Written By: AmericanGirl on 10/06/12 at 2:35 pm

...When did society become stiflingly politically correct? I mean it wasn't over night, but if you had to give a year.

I'd call it a mid 90's phenomenon.  During the first Clinton term.  That's when the term Politically Correct became used a lot, along with the associated cultural shifts - some of which were good.

I'll add this caveat: although "politically correct" wasn't part of the culture during the 80's, there was undoubtedly an expansion of opportunity for both women and racial minorities throughout the decade.

Written By: Howard on 10/06/12 at 3:13 pm

8)

That's why they should make a Back To The Future 4 one day.

Written By: belmont22 on 10/06/12 at 4:08 pm

I'd call it a mid 90's phenomenon.  During the first Clinton term.  That's when the term Politically Correct became used a lot, along with the associated cultural shifts - some of which were good.

I'll add this caveat: although "politically correct" wasn't part of the culture during the 80's, there was undoubtedly an expansion of opportunity for both women and racial minorities throughout the decade.

Maybe the mid 90's was just when it went from equality into the territory of revenge.

Written By: whistledog on 10/06/12 at 9:11 pm

That's why they should make a Back To The Future 4 one day.

There already is a Back to the Future 4

Written By: Howard on 10/07/12 at 3:01 pm

There already is a Back to the Future 4

Wow when did that come out?  ???

Written By: whistledog on 10/07/12 at 5:05 pm

Wow when did that come out?  ???

1999/URL]

Written By: Howard on 10/08/12 at 6:33 am

1999/URL]

Thanks.

Written By: Inlandsvägen1986 on 10/08/12 at 1:23 pm

Do you think on the whole the world of 1982 more closely resembles the contemporary world, or the world of 1952?

Definetly today. '82 was already part of the digitalized world which we have today - maybe in its early stages, but it was extremly advanced in comparison to '52.

Written By: yelimsexa on 10/09/12 at 11:00 am

It depends on the subject and where you live, but overall the difference between the 80's and today is less than it is from the 50's to the 80's. Major exceptions would be former communist Eastern European countries and many developing countries such as China, India, Brazil, and even the UAE and Kuwait, since they have accomplished alot since then.

Written By: Howard on 10/09/12 at 3:17 pm

both eras had their comparisons, the 80's and the 50's were two different times.

Written By: belmont22 on 10/10/12 at 2:38 am

It depends on the subject and where you live, but overall the difference between the 80's and today is less than it is from the 50's to the 80's. Major exceptions would be former communist Eastern European countries and many developing countries such as China, India, Brazil, and even the UAE and Kuwait, since they have accomplished alot since then.

So pretty much in most of the rest of the world, the 80s resembled the 50s more.

Written By: Inlandsvägen1986 on 10/10/12 at 3:21 am

So pretty much in most of the rest of the world, the 80s resembled the 50s more.

1982 East Germany (GDR) for example was also more 50's like than early 2010's like - but it shares a lot with 2012 North Korea.

However at some places in the world there are still 'stone age circumstances', especially in parts of Africa and South America. So if you wanna make a comparison, you have to stick with countries which were already part of the western world in both eras (80's and 50's).

Written By: belmont22 on 10/10/12 at 6:02 am

1982 East Germany (GDR) for example was also more 50's like than early 2010's like - but it shares a lot with 2012 North Korea.

However at some places in the world there are still 'stone age circumstances', especially in parts of Africa and South America. So if you wanna make a comparison, you have to stick with countries which were already part of the western world in both eras (80's and 50's).

In a lot of ways 2010's china isn't very different from the China of 1982. Yes, it's more capitalistic but it's every bit as repressive.

Written By: warped on 10/10/12 at 6:28 am

In a lot of ways 2010's china isn't very different from the China of 1982. Yes, it's more capitalistic but it's every bit as repressive.

My experience is that the China from 1982 is totally different from the China of today (My wife and I have been there many times, from the 80s until a few years ago). In fact I can't think of too many countries that have changed more since 1982 than China. It's still repressive but totally different in the way people act, dress, the music they listen to, the modern buildings, and capitalism growing out their ears.

Written By: Howard on 10/10/12 at 6:28 am

In what way? ???

Written By: belmont22 on 10/12/12 at 12:48 am

My experience is that the China from 1982 is totally different from the China of today (My wife and I have been there many times, from the 80s until a few years ago). In fact I can't think of too many countries that have changed more since 1982 than China. It's still repressive but totally different in the way people act, dress, the music they listen to, the modern buildings, and capitalism growing out their ears.

When would you say China became the way it is now?

Written By: warped on 10/12/12 at 6:20 am

When would you say China became the way it is now?

I would say this began in a progressive way in the decade of the 1990s. Hard to pinpoint it better than that.

Written By: belmont22 on 10/12/12 at 9:14 am

I would say this began in a progressive way in the decade of the 1990s. Hard to pinpoint it better than that.

Walmart opened its first store in China, in Shenzhen in 1996.

Written By: warped on 10/12/12 at 1:56 pm

Walmart opened its first store in China, in Shenzhen in 1996.

I've been to Shenzhen before (but didn't see that Walmart), that's just across the border from Hong Kong.

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 10/13/12 at 12:33 am

There are about 60 million Chinese who have the privilege of living in the glass skyscrapers, driving their own cars, and buying computers.  Most of the 1.3 billion Chinese urban and rural live in hand-to-mouth poverty.  Sixty million is an economy the size of France.  It looks like a lot and it is a lot on its own, but not compared to 1.3 billion. 

Shanghai today looks like a technotopia compared to the Shanghai of 1982.  That's what people who remember China 30 years ago and then visit the Eastern cities of today always say.  However, if you took a train 1500 miles into West Chiang Ching, you might find a much simpler agrarian culture with few modern amenities. 

Written By: belmont22 on 10/13/12 at 4:33 am

There are about 60 million Chinese who have the privilege of living in the glass skyscrapers, driving their own cars, and buying computers.  Most of the 1.3 billion Chinese urban and rural live in hand-to-mouth poverty.  Sixty million is an economy the size of France.  It looks like a lot and it is a lot on its own, but not compared to 1.3 billion. 

Shanghai today looks like a technotopia compared to the Shanghai of 1982.  That's what people who remember China 30 years ago and then visit the Eastern cities of today always say.  However, if you took a train 1500 miles into West Chiang Ching, you might find a much simpler agrarian culture with few modern amenities.

Actually even many rural Chinese now enjoy television and Internet access, though there's still only about 6 cars for every 100 Chinese people. I wonder how many Chinese families owned a TV during the Cold War years? I would take a guess that Communist China from 1949-1989 was somewhat modern since they killed off a lot of the traditional ways and built lots of huge apartment complexes, but I don't really know.

Check for new replies or respond here...