inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: HALLOWEEN TIME! The greatest SCARY movies of the 80's!

Written By: moycon on 10/17/12 at 1:55 am

October is one of my favorite months. I break out all my scary movies and watch them all month long.
Many of my all time favorites are from the 80's.

The Deadly Spawn (1981) : Super low budget film, still manages to be awesome! Toothy aliens invade Earth and really put the bite on humanity. I love this movie, and even have the soundtrack on both CD and LP!

Halloween 3 (1982) : Easily my second favorite Halloween flick. We watch this one every year. Yeah I know it doesn't fit in with all the other redundant Halloween sequels. That's why I like it. A crazy druid using pieces of Stonehenge to kill off all the planets children via gooey, buggy death is WAY more interesting than watching a mental superman, slash people over and over and over and....

C.H.U.D. (1984) : Depressing, but well made flick about creatures living underground in the city, occasionally attacking people and eating them! How did they get there, that's the big twist ending which really isn't all that exciting, but I've always like this one. Maybe it's the decent acting and special effects.

Return of the Living Dead (1985) : After Night of the Living Dead, this is my favorite living dead movie. A couple of warehouse workers unleash the dead when they accidently puncture an army container that contain one of the original reanimate corpses. Tarman is second to no zombie! The soundtrack also kicks ass.

Anyone else have a favorite 80's horror flick?

Subject: Re: The greatest SCARY movies of the 80's!

Written By: whistledog on 10/17/12 at 9:06 pm

I loved Halloween 3: Season of the Witch.  My only concern was it was branded a Halloween and had nothing to do with Michael Myers.  Still, scary stuff.  Love it!

One that I still love is Poltergeist (1982) and even Poltergeist III (1988)
Poltergeist II: The Other Side (1986) was not all that good.

Even loved Cujo (1983).  The best part of Cujo was not the vicious dog, but how much they made light of the fact that Ford Pinto cars were pieces of junk lol

Written By: warped on 10/17/12 at 9:16 pm

Day of the dead, night of the living dead. And ( even though I found it more of a comedy),  An American Werewolf in London

Written By: gibbo on 10/17/12 at 10:25 pm

Evil Dead had me squirming a few times... :-\\

Written By: moycon on 10/18/12 at 11:41 am

Evil Dead had me squirming a few times... :-\\

Oh yeah! I forgot about Evil Dead. As a kid that was a favorite of mine as well. Another super low budget, but VERY effective horror flick!

Subject: Re: HALLOWEEN TIME! The greatest SCARY movies of the 80's!

Written By: Howard on 10/18/12 at 3:24 pm

I enjoyed Fright Night where they were trying to kill off the vampire.

Written By: CatwomanofV on 10/18/12 at 3:42 pm

PeeWee's Big Adventure.

Cat 

Written By: CatwomanofV on 10/18/12 at 3:42 pm

Poltergeist scared the bejesus out of me. I went to see it with my then-future first husband & a female friend. The first time something happened on the screen, our friend lets out this blood curdling scream. I wasn't expecting that right next to me and I must have jumped half a mile out of my seat. After that first time, I didn't jump as high because I realized that she was a screamer. By the end of the movie, a lot of people were screaming-not just our friend. I was holding my then-future first husband's hand and I didn't realize how tight I was holding it because at one point he loosened my grip.

Cat

Written By: Starde on 10/19/12 at 2:00 am

PeeWee's Big Adventure.

Cat

;D

Written By: barry on 10/19/12 at 11:02 pm

The Funhouse (1981) - Great atmosphere that makes you feel like you're really there at that creepy sideshow. The demented carnival soundtrack by John Beal is another plus. If I could live in this movie, I would!

The Prowler (1981) - If you want a lesser-known slasher movie this Halloween, I'd recommend this one. Old-school slow-burn suspense, where waiting for something bad to happen can be as fun as when it actually does happen. Also, the soundtrack features a string section - a nice change from all the synthesizer in 80's slashers.

Amityville II: The Possession (1982) - I first saw this movie at my 5th Grade class Halloween party. Scared the hell out of me!

Trick Or Treat (1986) - Probably the best of the "heavy metal horror" movies of the mid-80s, but is that really saying much? Big-haired rocker Sammi Curr tries hard to look EEEE-VIL but he's just not that scary, especially dancing around onstage in leather pants. But the humour and nostalgia make up for it.

The Unnamable (1988) - Out of all the late-80's VHS horror, I have a soft spot for this one. Your typical "college kids enter a haunted house, split up, have sex and die" type movie, but it's still fun with a creepy house and good atmosphere. That goat-hag demon thing in the attic looks great and I wish they'd shown more of it. All in all, not bad.

Also...

Tim Burton's Vincent (1982)

fxQcBKUPm8o

The Sandman (1991)

rSwnJet_Jmo

Also, bought a Tarman action figure last week!  :o

http://oi46.tinypic.com/33ze51s.jpg

Written By: moycon on 10/21/12 at 3:19 pm

I love that Tarman figure! I bought the ROTLD documentary More Brains last week.
I never knew it, but the FX designer who made the tar man, was really a crappy FX person. In fact he was replaced before the movie shoot (6 weeks) ended. He still sounds bitter about it. A lot of his work sucked bad, but the Tarman. Holy crap!! Best zombie ever!!!

I'm really liking some of the flicks mentioned in this thread. My "to watch" list is getting longer and I'm running out of time!

Written By: Jquar on 10/21/12 at 3:46 pm

Prince of Darkness, a pretty good John Carpenter flick that even has a cameo from Alice Cooper as a possessed zombie homeless guy.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k4j2J2I9Rj8

Written By: meesa on 10/22/12 at 12:13 pm

Not my favorite but it scared the crap out of me:
http://collider.com/wp-content/uploads/hellraiser-pinhead-c10040177.jpeg

Hellraiser!

Check for new replies or respond here...