inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: Did people in the 80s hate 60s/70s music?

Written By: belmont22 on 10/31/12 at 7:44 pm

I remember in the 90s and early 00s, nothing was more uncool than the 80s. The 70s was cool in a retro way but still bashed for its datedness, it wasn't worshipped like anything before (and sometimes including) the 90s is now.

Did teenagers and young adults in the 80s dislike The Beatles, Floyd, Zeppelin, ABBA, Barry Manilow, etc? Or did they like them and listen to them alongside their own generation's music?

Subject: Re: Did people in the 80s hate 60s/70s music?

Written By: warped on 10/31/12 at 9:32 pm

I remember in the 90s and early 00s, nothing was more uncool than the 80s. The 70s was cool in a retro way but still bashed for its datedness, it wasn't worshipped like anything before (and sometimes including) the 90s is now.

Comparing the 70s while in the 90s to how we see the 90s today?
Decadeology....again... ::) ::) ::)

What is decadeology?

~ Decadeology is the discussion and/or comparison of two or more years or decades that have no bearing on one another. ~

Written By: belmont22 on 10/31/12 at 9:38 pm

What is decadeology?

~ Decadeology is the discussion and/or comparison of two or more years or decades that have no bearing on one another. ~

I was just asking if music from the 60s and 70s was uncool in the 80s or if it was still relevant. That's all.

Written By: warped on 10/31/12 at 9:42 pm

I was just asking if music from the 60s and 70s was uncool in the 80s or if it was still relevant. That's all.

As a teen & young adult in the 80s, I liked 80s music. Not as much as 70s & 60s music, but I liked 80s music. From what I recall, my same age friends also liked music from all 3 decades. Some liked the 80s better, some the 70s and some the 60s music better.
So amongst people I knew of approx the same age, 60s and 70s music was still cool in the 80s.

Written By: belmont22 on 10/31/12 at 9:45 pm

As a teen & young adult in the 80s, I liked 80s music. Not as much as 70s & 60s music, but I liked 80s music. From what I recall, my same age friends also liked music from all 3 decades. Some liked the 80s better, some the 70s and some the 60s music better.
So amongst people I knew of approx the same age, 60s and 70s music was still cool in the 80s.

That makes sense. My parents are around your age, and they both like 60s, 70s and 80s music, but aren't crazy about anything from the late 80s onwards aside from select things. I think most people tend to like music from about the time they were born up to about their 25th or 30th birthday the most, though it's a bit different now since music is so catered towards under-18s, that many people my age already feel too old for today's music I've noticed.

Written By: warped on 10/31/12 at 9:51 pm

That makes sense. My parents are around your age, and they both like 60s, 70s and 80s music, but aren't crazy about anything from the late 80s onwards aside from select things.

That sounds like me alright. Just like your parents, I find that it was the late 80s when music began to go downhill, and downhill fast. I don't like too many songs after 1989.

Written By: AmericanGirl on 10/31/12 at 9:58 pm

70's - hated in '80s? maybe
60's - hated in '80s? absolutely not

There was a surge in 60's nostalgia throughout the 80's (even though 50's nostalgia continued raging to an extent).  The 80's was the decade when Oldies radio stations started gaining major popularity.  The Beatles were as popular as ever, even moreso after Lennon's murder.  Motown, which had all but been forgotten through most of the 70's, was suddenly cool again.  Nostalgia in general was raging, and the 60's decade was the nostalgia buff's choice during the 80's.  I think the 70's was too recent for 70's nostalgia during the 80's.

Written By: Emman on 10/31/12 at 11:09 pm

There was a surge in 60's nostalgia throughout the 80's (even though 50's nostalgia continued raging to an extent).  The 80's was the decade when Oldies radio stations started gaining major popularity.  The Beatles were as popular as ever, even moreso after Lennon's murder.  Motown, which had all but been forgotten through most of the 70's, was suddenly cool again.  Nostalgia in general was raging, and the 60's decade was the nostalgia buff's choice during the 80's.  I think the 70's was too recent for 70's nostalgia during the 80's.

Yeah there was huge nostalgia for the '60s in the '80s, a lot of the music in the mid '80s in particular was influenced by '60s soul(Sledgehammer by Peter Gabriel, some songs from Thriller, countless other pop hits) and folk-rock/garage rock(The Paisley Underground scene, The Bangles, R.E.M, Prince, Jesus and Mary Chain, ect.), even the acid house scene in the late '80s has heavy influences from psychedelicia.

The '70s though most have been seen as an absolutely laughable disgrace, with it's plaid bellbottoms, pompous 10 minute prog epics, overly sensitive singer songwriter folk pop, yellow and brown earth tones, and psychedelic/paisley patterns.

Written By: belmont22 on 10/31/12 at 11:10 pm

You even had groups like Moody Blues and Beach Boys have major comebacks in the late '80s.

Written By: snozberries on 11/01/12 at 8:33 am

All you have to do is immerse yourself in tv shows and movies from the 80s and you'll observe an abundance of 50s & 60s songs...

That music was all over the place. Practically the only genre of 70s music that was hated was disco.

Written By: Ashkicksass on 11/01/12 at 11:54 am

No.

Written By: AL-B Mk. III on 11/01/12 at 5:50 pm

Actually, a lot of people I knew in the 80's hated...80's music.

Myself, I liked the Beatles and Creedence Clearwater Revival and couldn't stand most of the Top 40 music at the time. It's been only within the last several years that I've come to appreciate more of the 80's synthpop music.

It was during the 1980's when oldies and classic rock stations were first introduced, and our art teacher had a radio in his class which was usually tuned to the classic rock station (though he allowed us to bring in cassettes of music which wasn't considered offensive), and no one seemed to object. My stoner friends, naturally, listened to Pink Floyd.

As has been mentioned earlier, disco was absolutely despised in the 1980's, as well as anything disco-related. If you walked the halls of my high school in 1987 wearing bell-bottom jeans (unless perhaps you were trying to be ironic) you would have been ridiculed mercilessly. I think that's the main reason why John Travolta's career stalled in the 80's, because he was so closely associated with disco.

When 70's nostalgia finally hit in the early 90's, it came back in a heavily sanitized form. I was pleasantly surprised how sexy bell-bottoms and hip-huggers were on the young ladies, but bell-bottoms never seemed to make a comeback among males.

Plus, while for some bizarre reason, in the 1970's people thought it was not only acceptable but actually fashionable to dress like this:

http://scenteddemented.com/blog/wp-content/uploads/75searscatalog/brownandgreen.JPG

plaid pants, inexplicably, did not become all the rage again in 1993.  ::) :P 8-P

Written By: belmont22 on 11/01/12 at 9:13 pm

I wonder if the trope that kids hate their parents' music is somewhat inaccurate. It seems more common for parents to hate their kids' music. Most of my friends listen to old music to be honest but it's much less common for over-35s to be into recent music. Apparently, it was quite the same in back in the day though it seemed like more older people continued to be interested in music. Probably because the market is so competitive that they have to stick to what's safe, ie (pre)teen pop and played out rap and alternative generica.

Even as a 22 year old I feel too old for most of today's music.  ;D

Written By: Inlandsvägen1986 on 11/02/12 at 11:10 am

Really? lol.

I actually like a lot of today's music and I am older than you.

Written By: Ashkicksass on 11/02/12 at 12:16 pm

I wonder if the trope that kids hate their parents' music is somewhat inaccurate. It seems more common for parents to hate their kids' music. Most of my friends listen to old music to be honest but it's much less common for over-35s to be into recent music. Apparently, it was quite the same in back in the day though it seemed like more older people continued to be interested in music. Probably because the market is so competitive that they have to stick to what's safe, ie (pre)teen pop and played out rap and alternative generica.

My parents raised me on Motown, Doo Wop, and classic rock.  And I love it all to this day.  I feel blessed to have the musical influences I've had.  My dad also loves a lot of modern music.  He's cool like that.  :)

Written By: belmont22 on 11/02/12 at 2:45 pm

Really? lol.

Not all of it, no. But the majority of it.

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 11/02/12 at 8:44 pm

More like people who came up in the sixties hated eighties music. 
::)

Written By: Inertia on 11/02/12 at 8:55 pm

Really? lol.

I dislike most of today's popular music and I'm twenty-three. ;\

Everybody has different tastes.

Written By: Inlandsvägen1986 on 11/03/12 at 4:18 am

I disliked most of the 00's music; except for the very early 00s.

Written By: Inertia on 11/03/12 at 7:41 am

Indeed.

I agree with you.

Written By: belmont22 on 11/03/12 at 12:58 pm

Agreed.

Written By: yelimsexa on 11/03/12 at 3:43 pm

There were radio formats who taglines in the '80s were "The greatest hits of the '60s, '70s, and '80s" (MIX/Hot AC stations), though it depended on the format. Some of the Bubblegum '60s hits such as the Archies' "Sugar Sugar" and Ohio Express' "Chewy Chewy" were still frowned upon and some still are today, but by the early '80s, '60s music was already seen as "classic" (even as early as the late '70s even when disco saturated the airwaves and punk/new wave took off). The '60s, '70s, and '80s all mix well with each other since they were the only three decades in which both Rock and R&B music were both the two biggest genres on the charts, plus there were plenty of slow adult contemporary ballads in them and continue to make the basis of the classic hits station today, where its almost all '60s, '70s, and '80s.

Written By: belmont22 on 11/03/12 at 5:09 pm

There were radio formats who taglines in the '80s were "The greatest hits of the '60s, '70s, and '80s" (MIX/Hot AC stations), though it depended on the format. Some of the Bubblegum '60s hits such as the Archies' "Sugar Sugar" and Ohio Express' "Chewy Chewy" were still frowned upon and some still are today, but by the early '80s, '60s music was already seen as "classic" (even as early as the late '70s even when disco saturated the airwaves and punk/new wave took off). The '60s, '70s, and '80s all mix well with each other since they were the only three decades in which both Rock and R&B music were both the two biggest genres on the charts, plus there were plenty of slow adult contemporary ballads in them and continue to make the basis of the classic hits station today, where its almost all '60s, '70s, and '80s.

I would basically consider the current classic to be anything between the summer of love and the autumn of nations :) Maybe give or take a few years.

Written By: Howard on 11/04/12 at 3:12 pm

Did teenagers and young adults in the 80s dislike The Beatles, Floyd, Zeppelin, ABBA, Barry Manilow, etc? Or did they like them and listen to them alongside their own generation's music?

No they liked their own kind of music, The 80's.

Written By: Headphones1989 on 11/04/12 at 3:19 pm

No they liked their own kind of music, The 80's.

A lot of people in the 1980s liked 1980s music. Kind of like how a lot of people in the 1960s liked 1960s music, how a lot of people in the 1970s liked 1970s music and a lot of people in the 1990s liked 1990s music.

Written By: Howard on 11/04/12 at 3:21 pm

That sounds like me alright. Just like your parents, I find that it was the late 80s when music began to go downhill, and downhill fast. I don't like too many songs after 1989.

I agree, music was better during the early and mid 1980's.

Written By: Howard on 11/04/12 at 3:23 pm

You even had groups like Moody Blues and Beach Boys have major comebacks in the late '80s.

Beach Boys had "Kokomo" and Moody Blues had "Come Dancing".

Written By: Howard on 11/04/12 at 3:38 pm

22? You're not that old.  ::)

Written By: Howard on 11/04/12 at 3:39 pm

I'm almost 40 years old and I hate today's music. :P

Written By: GenXer on 11/07/12 at 11:07 pm

What is decadeology?

I hated anything that was Hippie related. Woodstock? Yuck!!!

Written By: tv on 11/11/12 at 7:49 pm

Beach Boys had "Kokomo" and Moody Blues had "Come Dancing".
I liked "Kokomo".

Written By: tv on 11/11/12 at 7:51 pm

Wasn't some 70's A/C hated in the 80's? Not all but some I think. Am I right about that?

Written By: warped on 11/11/12 at 9:26 pm

Wasn't some 70's A/C hated in the 80's? Not all but some I think. Am I right about that?

Not sure what A/C is, but disco was hated in the 80s by many, just as it was hated in the late 70s by many.

Written By: tv on 11/11/12 at 10:32 pm

Not sure what A/C is, but disco was hated in the 80s by many, just as it was hated in the late 70s by many.
Adult Contemparary

Written By: Doc Brown on 11/11/12 at 10:37 pm

The '70s though most have been seen as an absolutely laughable disgrace, with it's plaid bellbottoms, pompous 10 minute prog epics, overly sensitive singer songwriter folk pop, yellow and brown earth tones, and psychedelic/paisley patterns.

Pompous 10-minute prog epics? Hey Emman, I think you just ticked off a lot of Pink Floyd, Yes, and Genesis fans out there! As for singer-songwriters, I seem to recall Billy Joel, Rod Stewart, Jackson Browne and Carly Simon having hits well into the 80's and even early 90's, NTM Elton John still seems to be going full blast.

And the most compelling evidence against a hatred of 50's, 60's and 70's music in the 80's would be the covers and use of them on TV and movies. Here are the biggest examples:

*Retro-themed tv shows with time-frame soundtracks like Happy Days, The Wonder Years, and Quantum Leap
*The Beach Boys guest-starring on Full House(NTM one character's insane ELVIS obsession?)
*Hit Movies like The Big Chill, Eddie And The Cruisers and Stand By Me
*Motown artists with 80's-updated sounds(Marvin Gaye, Lionel Richie, Stevie Wonder, Smokey Robinson, and of course Wacko-Jacko)
*Bands with a retro-50's sound like The Stray Cats & The Knack(Punk, in its own way, was basically a movement of stripping rock back to its roots, in sharp contrast to the overproduced sounds of Disco! The genre of New Wave, on the other hand, was a movement to take rock forward from the 70's.)

BTW, tv? The Kinks recorded "Come Dancing", The Moody Blues recorded "Wildest Dreams".

Your Pal,
Doc

8)

Written By: warped on 11/12/12 at 6:23 am

Adult Contemparary

Thanks.

Some of the drippy, sad, depressing songs of the 1970s such as  "At seventeen" (Janis Ian), "All my myself" (Eric Carmen), 'Without you" (Nilsson), "I'm not in love" (10CC) and "Alone again, naturally" (Gilbert O'Sullivan) were frowned on by some , but not by me. 
There was also a dislike for "Carpenters" music in the 80s for the same reasons. Not a hatred by many, but by some.

I'll still take any of the Carpenters hit songs or others I have just listed over ANY song recorded in the last 20 to 25 years.

Check for new replies or respond here...