inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: How has your city/community changed since the 80s?

Written By: belmont22 on 11/03/12 at 11:39 pm

What's different, what's the same? Has it grown, shrunk? Is it more gentrified, more safe, more dangerous?

Subject: Re: How has your city/community changed since the 80s?

Written By: Headphones1989 on 11/04/12 at 12:01 am

I was only born in 1989 but looking at photos, things have changed a lot since the year I was born. It looks like a friendlier place. back then It has since grown, and clothing that people wore during the time was a lot of purple for some reason. But even since the 90s, it was friendlier then than it was now.

Written By: snozberries on 11/04/12 at 12:23 pm

Nope. Everyone still has big hair, wears neon clothes, drives big cars.

Gas is only 97 cents a gallon

We have 3 malls and they are always full

There are neon signs everywhere

I have no idea what Starbucks, Costco, Walmart, and best buy are.

Also I get my VHS movies at the shop on the corner.

What's Netflix and red box?

::)  ::)  ::)  ::)

Written By: Howard on 11/04/12 at 3:01 pm

What's different, what's the same? Has it grown, shrunk? Is it more gentrified, more safe, more dangerous?

More people have moved away, more new stores have opened up and right now the neighborhood is less dangerous.

Written By: c_keenan2001@hotmail.com on 11/07/12 at 1:33 am

Cobourg has changed A LOT! A condo unit or subdivision going up every 30 seconds.  An old building being destroyed because people feel the need to move here.  Idiots who run things and don't care about this town's history.  :( :P

Written By: belmont22 on 11/07/12 at 1:42 am

I have no idea what Starbucks, Costco, Walmart, and best buy are.

I'm pretty sure all of those stores existed in the 80s, though only locally.

Written By: snozberries on 11/07/12 at 8:31 am

I'm pretty sure all of those stores existed in the 80s, though only locally.

And since I've never lived in any of those locations I stand by my post.

Written By: Shiv on 11/07/12 at 9:40 am

In the 80s, Buffalo had a lot more manufacturing than today (Wonder Bread/Hostess, Trico Wipers, Fisher-Price, Buffalo China, Buffalo Color, Freezer Queen Foods, GM/Harrison Radiator, Kittenger Furniture, and more were still around), and still had downtown department stores.

It also had 66,813 more residents.

Hipsters have infiltrated "Midtown" Buffalo, but it's always been an upscale area so I wouldn't call it gentrification. There hasn't been any gentrification here.

The East Side was in a bit better shape, still a ghetto but more "occupied" with bars, shops and homes. Today it's half "urban prairie" and there isn't a whole lot of retail besides the occasional bodega or Dollar General.

The West Side is actually safer today than then, I think. D'Youville College, located there, has been investing heavily in it, and there's less shootings there now.

Written By: amjikloviet on 11/07/12 at 10:33 am

I have been living in this city since 1988 when I was eight years old, and it has definitely grown over the years. There are more buildings and places now than there were in the '80s. Back then there were more warehouse/factory work. In '88-'89 it seemed everyone we knew worked in a warehouse or factory of some kind. Today it has pretty much disappeared. Also, I have found that public places such as hospitals, and recreational centers have been made bigger since the '80s. I remember there were so many swap meets in the '80s(here in Rhode Island we called them flea markets), most have disappeared today but there are a couple still in some places.

Written By: Howard on 12/11/12 at 1:26 pm

Well back in those days you had kid friendly stores but now you can barely find them because the Japanese and Korean stores have almost taken over my shopping neighborhood which hardly anybody recognizes anymore. :(

Written By: mach!ne_he@d on 12/13/12 at 1:03 am

I live in a very small town that has barely changed at all in the last 25 years. But Warner Robins has changed dramatically in that same time period due to the massive growth of a nearby Air Force base that brought thousands of jobs to the area. There's an entire populated, incorporated section of that city today that was nothing but woods and countryside when I was a kid.

Written By: wsmith4 on 12/13/12 at 6:45 am

I live in a small town that has changed dramatically since the 80's.  The population has grown by leaps and bounds.  New shopping centers, tons of housing developments.  Our "downtown" shopping area has been completely revamped.  Even the good old classic McDonald's was torn down in favor of the much less welcoming, modern version that took its place.  All of the businesses that I frequented as a kid are gone.  My elementary school was refurbished last summer and turned into a Kindergarten center.  My high school was expanded and remodeled/updated.  My middle school was demolished.  It's kinda sad, really, when I drive around and barely recognize the town I grew up in.  Even the street my parents live on, the same one they've lived on for 40 years, has changed a lot.  The houses are the same, but of course, the landscape has changed, with trees being cut down, new ones planted, garages being built, etc.  Sometimes I like to escape to my childhood by visiting a place from my past, but those places are almost impossible to find now.  Thank God for memories.

I mean, you tell me, which McDonald's do you prefer?  I was so mad about this :(

OLD

http://www.northernneck.com/images/mcikyd-kilmarnock500.jpg

NEW

http://www.orovalleyhomes4sale.com/images/NewMcDs.jpg

Written By: Howard on 12/13/12 at 7:36 am

I live in a small town that has changed dramatically since the 80's.  The population has grown by leaps and bounds.  New shopping centers, tons of housing developments.  Our "downtown" shopping area has been completely revamped.  Even the good old classic McDonald's was torn down in favor of the much less welcoming, modern version that took its place.  All of the businesses that I frequented as a kid are gone.  My elementary school was refurbished last summer and turned into a Kindergarten center.  My high school was expanded and remodeled/updated.  My middle school was demolished.  It's kinda sad, really, when I drive around and barely recognize the town I grew up in.  Even the street my parents live on, the same one they've lived on for 40 years, has changed a lot.  The houses are the same, but of course, the landscape has changed, with trees being cut down, new ones planted, garages being built, etc.  Sometimes I like to escape to my childhood by visiting a place from my past, but those places are almost impossible to find now.  Thank God for memories.

I mean, you tell me, which McDonald's do you prefer?  I was so mad about this :(

OLD

http://www.northernneck.com/images/mcikyd-kilmarnock500.jpg

NEW

http://www.orovalleyhomes4sale.com/images/NewMcDs.jpg

The first McDonalds.

Written By: CatwomanofV on 12/13/12 at 3:57 pm

I didn't live here in the '80s however, I would guess not much. I think the only thing that really changed is the fountain in the green. It used to be a kitty pool with a shower head after it was a rock pile. This is what it looks like now:

http://farm4.staticflickr.com/3026/2947289473_d135b8f9cf.jpg

Yes, that is one of my photos.

The funny thing about this fountain, there was a lot of argument about it. The Historical Society wanted to turn it back into a rock pile like the original fountain was but the Rotary Club had paid for this one. After it was finally put up, about 2 months later, a strong wind came and blew it down. They have since put it back-in fact, this pic was taken AFTER it was put back up.

Oh yeah, Subway & Dunkin' Donuts moved in. We already had McDonald's.

Cat

Written By: Howard on 12/13/12 at 4:18 pm

I remember when Dunkin Donuts and Baskin Robbins were separate chains now they're combined together.

Written By: c_keenan2001@hotmail.com on 03/22/13 at 5:07 pm

Cobourg has like four Tim Horton's Doughnuts Cafes

2 on the west side of town
2 in the middle of town.

And we have three Subway sub shops

1 downtown
1 in the middle of town
1 on the west side of town

Written By: Howard on 03/22/13 at 7:11 pm

Back then there wasn't so many restaurants and now you have a Sushi place and a Japanese restaurant in a Jewish neighborhood?  ::)

Check for new replies or respond here...