inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: 80s Disney movies?

Written By: belmont22 on 11/13/12 at 1:45 am

What are some of your favorites? I like Oliver in Company, Fox and the Hound, and Brave Little Toaster.

Subject: Re: 80s Disney movies?

Written By: MarkMc1990 on 11/13/12 at 1:51 am

The Little Mermaid, The Fox and the Hound, and The Brave Little Toaster. Although, TLM tends to be associated with '90s Disney.

Written By: Inertia on 11/13/12 at 5:17 am

The Great Mouse Detective, The Brave Little Toaster, Oliver and Company, The Little Mermaid, Fox and the Hound, and The Black Cauldron.

Written By: belmont22 on 11/13/12 at 6:14 am

The Great Mouse Detective, The Brave Little Toaster, Oliver and Company, The Little Mermaid, Fox and the Hound, and The Black Cauldron.

Oh yeah Great Mouse Detective was awesome.

Written By: Shiv on 11/13/12 at 10:46 am

The Black Cauldron has always fascinated me. Hardly anyone has heard of it, it wasn't released on home video until 13 years after it's theatrical release, it's the only Disney movie without some kind of song, has a very dark vibe and was originally supposed to be aimed at young adults with a PG-13 or even R rating but the Disney bigwigs changed their minds at the last minute and cut out 25% of the completed movie (pretty obvious when watching it as it's very choppy feeling).

I think Oliver & Company was the first Disney movie to be set in the (then)present day (I may be wrong).

As a huge animation geek, The Little Mermaid has always fascinated me too as it still has the look of 80s Disney but is more like their 90s stuff. It was the last Disney movie to use hand-painted animation cels and analog camera before everything went digital.

Written By: belmont22 on 11/13/12 at 10:56 am

As a huge animation geek, The Little Mermaid has always fascinated me too as it still has the look of 80s Disney but is more like their 90s stuff. It was the last Disney movie to use hand-painted animation cels and analog camera before everything went digital.

Yeah, I was reading about how Rescuers Down Under (1990) was the first where the colors were filled in digitally. The 90's Disney animation was kind of transitional in the sense the sketches were still hand-drawn, but the colors and frames were done digitally. The rainbow scene in Little Mermaid was the first scene Disney made with the CAPS digital system, and Home on the Range was the last. The Disney Renaissance truly was a transitional phase between classic animation of the 1930s through 1980s and the CGI 3-D animated films that have dominated since the late 1990s.

Little Mermaid in many ways is analogous, in my opinion, to the first season of The Simpsons in terms of its place in animation history.

Written By: Shiv on 11/13/12 at 10:10 pm

Yeah, I was reading about how Rescuers Down Under (1990) was the first where the colors were filled in digitally. The 90's Disney animation was kind of transitional in the sense the sketches were still hand-drawn, but the colors and frames were done digitally. The rainbow scene in Little Mermaid was the first scene Disney made with the CAPS digital system, and Home on the Range was the last. The Disney Renaissance truly was a transitional phase between classic animation of the 1930s through 1980s and the CGI 3-D animated films that have dominated since the late 1990s.

Little Mermaid in many ways is analogous, in my opinion, to the first season of The Simpsons in terms of its place in animation history.

I really wish hand-drawn animation would come back. CGI just doesn't do it for me, though I like a lot of the Pixar movies.

Written By: Doc Brown on 11/18/12 at 9:38 am

Aren't we forgetting that Disney also put out live-action films in the 80's? And it would be hard to deny that the best of these were in the sci-fi genre. TRON will stand forever as one of the movies that paved the way for digital animation and CGI which has become so popular. One of the last movies to have that funny, carefree 80's vibe was the goofy but visually stunning Honey, I Shrunk The Kids, although the franchise was taken a bit too far in the 90's. And the concept of Disney's centerpiece of family fantasy Flight Of The Navigator was years ahead of its time, which makes it superior to what would come in the 90's with the dark insanity of Independence Day and Mars Attacks, in that it's actually FUN to watch!

Your Pal,
Doc

8)

Written By: CatwomanofV on 11/18/12 at 11:56 am

I think Disney was in a big slump in the '80s. The movies they put out were less than spectacular. I think everyone thought that they basically were in decline. A lot of it stemmed from when Don Bluth left the company and started his own-creating such wonderful films as The Secret of NiMH, American Tail, & The Land Before Time. Then Disney hooked up with Steven Spielberg who produced American Tail & the Land Before Time, and they created the movie Who Framed Roger Rabbit. That was basically the beginning of Disney's resurrection. They created The Little Mermaid, and then throughout the 90s, they created so many wonderful films like Beauty & The Beast, Aladdin, The Lion King, etc. etc.

Cat

Written By: apollonia1986 on 11/18/12 at 10:47 pm

All Dogs Go To Heaven
and anything with Alvin and Chipmunks!
Ducktales. (I still mist up when I hear the theme song)

Written By: wildcard on 11/18/12 at 10:54 pm

I think Disney was in a big slump in the '80s. The movies they put out were less than spectacular. I think everyone thought that they basically were in decline. A lot of it stemmed from when Don Bluth left the company and started his own-creating such wonderful films as The Secret of NiMH, American Tail, & The Land Before Time. Then Disney hooked up with Steven Spielberg who produced American Tail & the Land Before Time, and they created the movie Who Framed Roger Rabbit. That was basically the beginning of Disney's resurrection. They created The Little Mermaid, and then throughout the 90s, they created so many wonderful films like Beauty & The Beast, Aladdin, The Lion King, etc. etc.

Cat

agreed

Written By: Doc Brown on 11/18/12 at 11:05 pm

All Dogs Go To Heaven

Disney only had created one of those you mentioned, apples. But I loved it, too.
Here, for old time's sake:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=frGLMtGsotc

Your Pal,
Doc

8)

Written By: CatwomanofV on 11/19/12 at 6:18 pm

All Dogs Go To Heaven

All Dogs Go To Heaven was a Don Bluth film.

Cat

Written By: Starde on 11/19/12 at 7:53 pm

Disney only had created one of those you mentioned, apples. But I loved it, too.
Here, for old time's sake:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=frGLMtGsotc

Your Pal,
Doc

8)

Catchiest theme song to a cartoon of all time?

Cat

Also agree.

You know, I can't decide if The Little Mermaid or Oliver & Company is my fave 80's animated Disney film. Loved the music in both!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_pPUmv3U2XY

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F9YyNtH5BF8

I swear, sometimes I'm still kinda tempted to sing "Streets of Gold" and "Why Should I Worry" whenever I walk around NYC. :P

Written By: Anjo on 11/21/12 at 12:01 am

What are some of your favorites? I like Oliver in Company, Fox and the Hound, and Brave Little Toaster.
I always loved Lady and the Tramp.

Written By: belmont22 on 11/21/12 at 12:05 am

Lol, that's from 1955.

Written By: Doc Brown on 11/21/12 at 10:27 am

Available on Home Video for the first time in 1988, anyway.
My favorite from the 80's remains The Great Mouse Detective.

Your Pal,
Doc

8)

Check for new replies or respond here...