inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: Top 20 US Billboard by genre, 1980-1989

Written By: belmont22 on 11/20/12 at 12:06 pm

So I was bored and did some research. The genres are somewhat subjective, but it is what it is.

# of songs in year-end top 20 for ...........new wave............arena rock............ hip hop

1980                                                      2                        3                      0
1981                                                      4                        1                      1                                                     
1982                                                      4                        4                      0
1983                                                      6                        0                      0
1984                                                      7                        2                      0
1985                                                      5                        3                      0
1986                                                      5                        2                      0
1987                                                      3                        3                      0
1988                                                      1                        3                      0
1989                                                      0                        2                      2

Subject: Re: Top 20 US Billboard by genre, 1980-1989

Written By: whistledog on 11/21/12 at 4:04 pm

What hip hop were you finding in 1981 ??

Written By: belmont22 on 11/21/12 at 4:06 pm

What hip hop were you finding in 1981 ??

Blondie - Rapture. It's a stretch, but considering it's one of the songs that put hip hop on the map, and Debbie does indeed drop verses in it, I would say it should count.

Written By: whistledog on 11/21/12 at 4:47 pm

Blondie - Rapture. It's a stretch, but considering it's one of the songs that put hip hop on the map, and Debbie does indeed drop verses in it, I would say it should count.

Rapture is not hip-hop.  It only contains elements of hip-hop.  It is in fact a new wave song that also incorporates elements of disco, rap and pop.
That's like saying I Was Made For Loving You by Kiss is a disco song

Written By: belmont22 on 11/21/12 at 4:49 pm

Rapture is not hip-hop.  It only contains elements of hip-hop.  It is in fact a new wave song that also incorporates elements of disco, rap and pop.

Hmmm. true yeah. I guess it's subjective, like any song that fuses multiple genres is.

Written By: Foo Bar on 11/21/12 at 11:11 pm

...it wasn't?

170hggYLzGQ
  - KISS, I Was Made For Loving You, 12" Aussie Disco Remix.

Note "Manufactured and Distirbuted by Astor Records" in the fine print on the bottom of the label at 00:33.  At 1:00 into this fan-made video of the 12" Australian mix, uploaded more than two years ago, we have an album sleeve from labeled "Astor / Disco Single" that constitues proof that it was indeed a disco song.

Written By: Howard on 12/11/12 at 1:09 pm

That Kiss song was more of a rock song than more disco.

Check for new replies or respond here...