inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: Freddy Curci

Written By: MarkMc1990 on 11/20/12 at 7:36 pm

Any fans here? I have to say, he's one of the most under-appreciated vocalists. For a male singer, he has pretty incredible range. As the lead singer of the bands Sheriff and Alias, he had two major hits...

When I'm With You (1989)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JyIGlUoTh9I
The last note in this one is pretty impressive, and supposedly holds a record for longest note held in a pop song.

More Than Words Can Say (1990)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pjhrGPFaQoQ

I wish these kinds of rock ballads would become mainstream again!

Subject: Re: Freddy Curci

Written By: Dagwood on 11/20/12 at 8:15 pm

I love both of those bands but didn't know that he was the lead singer.  He is pretty awesome.  That last note in When I'm With You is not only long, but very high too. 

Written By: MarkMc1990 on 11/20/12 at 8:17 pm

that last note in When I'm With You is not only long, but very high too.

right? Some singers just make it seem so effortless. I'd give anything to be able to sing like that!

Written By: Dagwood on 11/20/12 at 8:28 pm

right? Some singers just make it seem so effortless. I'd give anything to be able to sing like that!

Effortless is the perfect word, here. 

Written By: whistledog on 11/21/12 at 4:32 pm

Freddy Curci's voice is legendary.  The success he had with what you folks got in the US was not all their was, and the story of Sheriff spans father than you may think ...

Alias formed out of the remains of Sheriff by Freddy Curci and Steve DeMarchi, both whom were original members of Sheriff.  The only release by Sheriff was a self-titled album in 1982 that spawned 2 singles.  When popularity re-emerged for When I'm With You in 1988, the two re-grouped with new members and thus Alias was born.

Sheriff
1982 - You Remind Me
1983 - When I'm With You
1988 - When I'm With You <re-release>

Alias
1990 - Haunted Heart
1990 - More Than Words Can Say
1991 - Waiting For Love
1991 - The Power
1991 - Perfect World

Freddy Curci
1994 - Brown Eyed Girl
1994 - Dreamer's Road
1995 - Give Me A Reason to Stay

The most successful thing to come out of Sherrif was not Freddy Curci or Alias, but a band called Frozen Ghost that was formed by original Sheriff members Arnold Lanni and Wolf Hassel.  They did not do well outside of Canada unfortunately ...

Frozen Ghost
1987 - Should I See
1988 - Yum Bai Ya
1988 - Round and Round
1989 - Dream Come True
1992 - Shake Your Spirit
1992 - Head Over Heels
1992 - Cry (If You Want to)
1992 - Shine on Me

Written By: belmont22 on 11/21/12 at 4:50 pm

Yeah, he has a pretty good voice. :)

Check for new replies or respond here...