inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: Challenger disaster 'foreseen' in a cartoon from 1985?

Written By: Jock on 12/01/12 at 7:58 am

"The Wrong Stuff" aired: October 5, 1985
The Littles find themselves accidentally sent into orbit on the space shuttle and Dinky is forced to return a computer chip he took as a souvenir to keep the shuttle from burning up on re-entry.

Now isn't that a weird coincidence, considering the Challenger disaster some months later in early 1986? ???

Subject: Re: Challenger disaster 'foreseen' in a cartoon from 1985?

Written By: Dagwood on 12/01/12 at 9:11 am

The Challenger didn't burn up on re-entry.  It exploded before it left the atmosphere.  Columbia burned up on re-entry in 2001.

It is weird, though.

Written By: Inertia on 12/01/12 at 9:41 am

The Challenger didn't burn up on re-entry.  It exploded before it left the atmosphere.  Columbia burned up on re-entry in 2001.

It is weird, though.

I don't remember Challenger, but I do remember Columbia.

I agree with you that it is weird. ;\

This thread reminds me of the similarities between the Titanic disaster and novel Futility which was written in 1898 and had a ship named Titan which hit an iceburg and sunk. The lack of lifeboats was a theme in it as well.

Written By: Starde on 12/02/12 at 12:04 am

The Challenger didn't burn up on re-entry.  It exploded before it left the atmosphere. Columbia burned up on re-entry in 2001.

It is weird, though.

That actually happened in 2003, but yeah, the whole thing is weird.

Check for new replies or respond here...