inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: Will any album ever top Michael Jackson's 'Thriller' in sales?

Written By: 80sfan on 12/09/12 at 7:50 pm

http://www.film.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/10/Michael-Jackson-THRILLER-2.jpg

Does anyone think any album will ever beat Michael Jackson's 'Thriller' album in sales worldwide? It has sold 65-110 million records worldwide. I'm guessing it has sold 70 or 80 million worldwide. Record companies tend to exaggerate sales for promotional reasons, so it's hard for me to believe the 110 million number they put out. Either way, Thriller still stands here 30 years later as the best selling album worldwide.

And of course, in the USA it has tied with the Eagles greatest hits album, both have sold 29 million records in the US.

I'm not the biggest Michael Jackson fan, but I like him enough to hear his music and buy some of his albums. But 1983-1985 must've been a nice ego boost, LOL, for MJ.
So, will Thriller ever be beaten? Or will it still be the best seller it is now, even 100 years from now? 

Subject: Re: Will any album ever top Michael Jackson's 'Thriller' in sales?

Written By: belmont22 on 12/10/12 at 7:40 am

Probably not, there's just too much choice now for anything to ever get that massive again.

Though, if it does happen, I'm going to guess it will be a Chinese or Indian album.

Written By: 80sfan on 12/10/12 at 11:15 am

Probably not, there's just too much choice now for anything to ever get that massive again.

Though, if it does happen, I'm going to guess it will be a Chinese or Indian album.

Interesting thought Belmont. Also, the quality of music was better in the 60s-80s.

Written By: whistledog on 12/10/12 at 5:30 pm

?

Written By: belmont22 on 12/10/12 at 11:08 pm

?

Each of those countries have more than a billion people so even if a few percent of them buy an album it could beat Thriller.

Written By: Howard on 12/11/12 at 12:23 pm

I don't think so Thriller is the highest grossest selling album during the 80s.

Written By: 80sfan on 12/11/12 at 1:40 pm

I don't think so Thriller is the highest grossest selling album during the 80s.

And of all time!  :o

Written By: Howard on 12/12/12 at 7:52 am

And of all time!  :o

and the video is quite long.

Written By: meesa on 12/12/12 at 11:28 am

And..
When you consider how many options people have to listen to albums for free, you have to wonder if album sales will ever reach those numbers again.

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 12/12/12 at 5:47 pm

Do kids even buy "albums" anymore?
???

Written By: Howard on 12/12/12 at 6:39 pm

Do kids even buy "albums" anymore?
???

They buy CDs, I don't see kids buying vinyl unless you're over the age of 30 and you lived through the 80's.

Written By: Howard on 12/12/12 at 6:40 pm

And..
When you consider how many options people have to listen to albums for free, you have to wonder if album sales will ever reach those numbers again.

probably not.

Written By: mach!ne_he@d on 12/13/12 at 1:23 am

I think no is a pretty safe answer here. Only one album has even sold more than 30 million copies since the start of the 21st Century, and that was a Beatles greatest hits compilation. Per Wikipedia, The Bodyguard soundtrack sold 45 million copies back in 1992, but the state of the music industry has changed alot since then. Thriller's record looks quite secure to me.

Written By: whistledog on 12/13/12 at 6:17 pm

Each of those countries have more than a billion people so even if a few percent of them buy an album it could beat Thriller.

But to equal the population of the rest of the world, each person in those countries would have to buy like 10 copies each, and it probably would not be an album by an artist specific to their country

Written By: yelimsexa on 12/14/12 at 9:11 am

Many newspapers are adding paywalls, and the government is doing a good job blocking file-sharing sites that deal with movies/TV, so the government will need to find a way not only to have a protective paywall system, but also include online purchases as counting toward total album sales. It may take awhile since the music industry is more fragmented than ever, but there always could be "the idol" that garners worldwide attention that can set a new record if the correct execution is made, and with the world's population continuing to increase, potential for a new record increases. While album sales are slightly up as of late, most people still prefer single releases in today's world with short attention spans, so a big statement must be made over the course of an album for it to be a success.

Written By: apollonia1986 on 12/14/12 at 9:44 pm

* Number 1 MJ Fan Chiming In*

Jesus Christ , I hope NOT.  :o

I think I'd start vomiting if that happened. I already get queasy when some lame no-talent hack somehow manages to break one of his records. I want the best, most important one to stay intact Even if I have to personally go out and buy as many copies of Thriller as I can afford. I own four copies already.
The vinyl
The original cd pressing.
The 2003 re-issue CD with bonus tracks.
The 25th anniversary CD

And I've also bought a few to give to friends as gifts.

And I want Michael's records to stay in place. It gives me a reason to brag!  :(

Written By: 80sfan on 12/15/12 at 10:27 am

Michael Jackson was kinda a musical savior circa 1983. Cause the music industry then was going through a slump. From 1979 to 1982, record sales were low, probably due to new technology in music, and partly because some people hated disco.

'Thriller' didn't really explode until 'Billie Jean' was released. Then came Motown 25 in April/May of 1983, the performance was so amazing (moonwalk anyone?), millions rushed to the record stores to buy Thriller, while also purchasing other albums as well. Thus, Thriller was partly responsible for helping the music industry have a comeback from its slump. So calling Michael a musical messiah isn't too far off. ;)

Written By: apollonia1986 on 12/15/12 at 2:59 pm

http://t2.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcStzL4WkHkEpzvqn2YoRJ_tGOhE9X9CQ-92nszMVrbPhd0hr39f57w488zIaA

Written By: Howard on 12/15/12 at 7:20 pm

Michael Jackson was kinda a musical savior circa 1983. Cause the music industry then was going through a slump. From 1979 to 1982, record sales were low, probably due to new technology in music, and partly because some people hated disco.

'Thriller' didn't really explode until 'Billie Jean' was released. Then came Motown 25 in April/May of 1983, the performance was so amazing (moonwalk anyone?), millions rushed to the record stores to buy Thriller, while also purchasing other albums as well. Thus, Thriller was partly responsible for helping the music industry have a comeback from its slump. So calling Michael a musical messiah isn't too far off. ;)

and the video was great.

Written By: 80sfan on 12/16/12 at 9:43 am

and the video was great.

I love the video! 8)

Written By: Howard on 12/16/12 at 1:27 pm

I love the video! 8)

It was about as long as 15 minutes.

Check for new replies or respond here...