inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: Why did Chevy Chase's career decline after Christmas Vacation?

Written By: belmont22 on 12/20/12 at 4:07 pm

Do you think it's because he was thought of as being an "Eighties" comedian and his style of humor just wasn't the kind that appealed to the slacker generation? Was his style not ironic or scatological enough for the '90s, which was more ripe for people such as Jim Carrey and Jerry Seinfeld?

Or was it simply because he was getting pretty old by the time the 80s were over? I mean he was born in 1943 so he was pushing 50 when Christmas Vacation came out, which was his last successful film. All his early 90s efforts, including his talk show which lasted a whopping 5 weeks, tanked.

Subject: Re: Why did Chevy Chase's career decline after Christmas Vacation?

Written By: danootaandme on 12/20/12 at 4:22 pm

I was never a big fan, never thought much of him on SNL, finally, in the 90s people must have decided I was right.

Written By: whistledog on 12/20/12 at 4:36 pm

His career never delined.  He just appeared in movies no one went to see, but still got paid regardless

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 12/20/12 at 7:00 pm

Clarke W. Griswold was the perfect character for him and he could never top Vacation.  Fletch and Spies Like Us came out shortly after vacation and his performance in both of those is spectacular, but Clarke is the one who really connected with people.  I love Chevy Chase, I think he's funny as hell, but he's a comic actor.  He just doesn't have the depth to succeed in dramatic roles like Tom Hanks or Dan Aykroyd. 

BTW, last night I watched an early Chevy move, "Foul Play" with Goldie Hawn (1979).  That movie cast him as the romantic lead, but Foul Play was a light suspense comedy that lent itself to Chevy's goofy lovableness. 

The other thing that happened with Chevy was he tried to do a talk show (like Carson or Letterman) in 1993.  He wasn't cut out for it and the fallout from the media ridicule unfairly damaged his rep.  Believe me, Charles Grodin's talk show was even worse, but nobody even remembers it!
;D

Written By: moycon on 12/20/12 at 8:39 pm

Dunno if it's true, but I've seen star "news" stories that paint Chevy as a pretty arrogant, and generally unliked PITA.
One thing in particular that stood out was a report that they wanted to have a celebrity roast for him, but most of his old SNL colleagues had no interest in coming. They managed to get two SNL people to come. Loraine Newman, and Paul Shaffer (Who wasn't even an actor on the show) According to Wiki...This roast was noted for being unusually mean,even by the standards of other roasts, and has never re-aired. Could just be he'd burned a lot of bridges over the years and wasn't generating the $$$ to make it worth putting up with. Just speculation though. A lot of that Hollywood gossip is made up.

Written By: snozberries on 12/20/12 at 10:01 pm

Because he's a dick and hard to work with.  >:(

Written By: 80sfan on 12/21/12 at 12:20 am

Fate/destiny. He came and did what he was meant to do. Once it was done, it was done, LOL. I guess some things aren't meant to go farther.  ;D

Written By: Howard on 12/21/12 at 6:41 am

I guess he was getting too old for the Christmas Vacation films. After a while you start to run out of ideas for films, he was getting up there in age but him and Bill Murray who lived through the 80's can still make people laugh even if they have to appear in commercials.

Written By: AL-B Mk. III on 12/21/12 at 9:52 am

Because, as Johnny Carson is said to have once remarked, "Chevy Chase couldn't ad-lib a fart after a baked-bean dinner."

Written By: Howard on 12/21/12 at 7:28 pm

Because, as Johnny Carson is said to have once remarked, "Chevy Chase couldn't ad-lib a fart after a baked-bean dinner."

;D

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 12/24/12 at 12:43 am

How's that again?

Written By: snozberries on 12/24/12 at 2:10 pm

How's that again?

He treats his co workers like crap.
He's super demanding on set

He's an ass

Don't forget I've been to the set of community several times over the last couple of seasons and witnessed his antics first hand.

Written By: Wiz83 on 12/24/12 at 6:25 pm

He's an ass

Don't forget I've been to the set of community several times over the last couple of seasons and witnessed his antics first hand.

Seriously, you've been to the set of Community? Awesome! Do you think you could get Alison Brie's number for me? ;)

Written By: snozberries on 12/24/12 at 6:54 pm

Seriously, you've been to the set of Community? Awesome! Do you think you could get Alison Brie's number for me? ;)

Stand in line. I have a couple of friends ahead of you for that.

Yeah the whole cast- except for Chevy, was really cool.

I was on set For the taping of this seasons finale Before he officially quit- he wasn't even there. They used a stand in in costume for his scenes.  Don't know if I'm allowed to divulge that so you didn't hear it from me.

Written By: Howard on 12/24/12 at 7:03 pm

But lately Chevy Chase has been in a few commercials for Old Navy.

Written By: Wiz83 on 12/24/12 at 9:19 pm

Stand in line. I have a couple of friends ahead of you for that.

Yeah the whole cast- except for Chevy, was really cool.

I was on set For the taping of this seasons finale Before he officially quit- he wasn't even there. They used a stand in in costume for his scenes.  Don't know if I'm allowed to divulge that so you didn't hear it from me.

Are the two beautiful girls in the cast, Alison Brie and Gillian Jacobs, really as awesome and fun in person as they appear to be from watching interviews and listening to commentary? I read that Alison is a sick rapper and likes hardcore hip hop (something we both share in common) :)

Written By: snozberries on 12/24/12 at 9:22 pm

Are the two beautiful girls in the cast, Alison Brie and Gillian Jacobs, really as awesome and fun in person as they appear to be from watching interviews and listening to commentary? I read that Alison is a sick rapper and likes hardcore hip hop (something we both share in common) :)

Alison and Gillian have been nothing but kind to me...
Yvette runs over and gives me a hug every time she sees me.  :)

Joel is pretty cool too

Donald is quiet and usually off in a corner writing songs
Dann, ken and Jim never seem to remember me but they are nice to me anyway :)

Written By: 80sfan on 12/25/12 at 10:55 am

Alison and Gillian have been nothing but kind to me...
Yvette runs over and gives me a hug every time she sees me.  :)

Joel is pretty cool too

Donald is quiet and usually off in a corner writing songs
Dann, ken and Jim never seem to remember me but they are nice to me anyway :)

I don't know how bad some stars are. I guess there are a lot of nice ones. Then you get ones that are difficult to work with.

Written By: moycon on 12/26/12 at 1:49 am

Glad to hear some first hand info about Chevy. I suspect at least some of his downfall might be related to his personality!!

Written By: snozberries on 12/26/12 at 8:54 am

Glad to hear some first hand info about Chevy. I suspect at least some of his downfall might be related to his personality!!

It sort of sux that Dan Harmon played into his antics. I think Dan would still be with Community if he hadn't.  Chevy wasnt too far behind him out the door. I'm dying to see how they worked him into the eps this season. In not sure when he stopped coming to set I just know he wasnt there when I was there but pierce was in the scenes - just written so that he was never on camera with a fellow cast member  ;D

Basically, if you watch the series. Watch for the scenes when he's paired with other cast members. I mean where two or more are actually pictured in frame with him. If you see all their faces he was on set. If you only see random body parts and creative framing he was never there when the scenes were shot and he wasnt the principal on camera.

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 12/26/12 at 10:19 pm

He's an ass

I'm Chevy Chase...and you're not.
8)

Written By: mach!ne_he@d on 12/27/12 at 12:07 am

I really like the Vacation movies, and Fletch too, but I still find it impossible to watch this and not laugh:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=taPTqd8g7yg

Written By: snozberries on 12/27/12 at 1:02 am

I really like the Vacation movies, and Fletch too, but I still find it impossible to watch this and not laugh:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=taPTqd8g7yg

It's funny cuz it's true! :D

Written By: meesa on 12/27/12 at 11:54 am

I had heard that too.

After a brisk google search found this article:
http://gawker.com/5899097/hes-not-chevy-hes-an-asshole-a-history-of-chevy-chases-horrific-behavior

Now, as for his body of work, I do like Fletch, the original Vacation and Christmas Vacation, however I think most of the credit for that probably needs to go to the writers of the films.

Written By: Howard on 12/27/12 at 2:05 pm

I had heard that too.

http://gawker.com/5899097/hes-not-chevy-hes-an-asshole-a-history-of-chevy-chases-horrific-behavior

Now, as for his body of work, I do like Fletch, the original Vacation and Christmas Vacation, however I think most of the credit for that probably needs to go to the writers of the films.

have you seen the latest Old Navy commericals with Chevy?

Written By: warped on 12/27/12 at 2:17 pm

He let this song go to his head.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1FGsWRAikhk

I had heard he was a little arrogant (but how many celebs are, many..).
He was my favorite on SNL, I prefer him to Belushi. But when Chevy left the show did fine without him.

Written By: snozberries on 12/27/12 at 2:22 pm

I had heard that too.

I perused the article....can't wait to read the whole thing.

Written By: belmont22 on 12/27/12 at 4:48 pm

Never realized what a prick he was.

Written By: Step-chan on 12/28/12 at 1:13 pm

I had heard that too.

Just got done reading the link you posted. Whoa, Chevy...

Written By: Starde on 12/29/12 at 4:11 am

I had heard that too.

Wow, what a freakin' d***! I had no idea he was like that!

Written By: dissectanalienchick on 12/29/12 at 2:25 pm

Honestly Christmas Vacation is one of my favourite films I must watch to get me in the Christmas mood... but sky tv is takin the piss when its been played to 20 nights out of 30 in December... I LOVE Clark W Griswold, but come on to fook!
Did his career decline.... would give anything for an appearance of Chevy in anything these days... a cheeky cameo.... summit  :D

Written By: moycon on 12/29/12 at 6:00 pm

would give anything for an appearance of Chevy in anything these days... a cheeky cameo.... summit  :D

Check out Hot Tub Time Machine

Written By: Howard on 12/29/12 at 7:19 pm

Honestly Christmas Vacation is one of my favourite films I must watch to get me in the Christmas mood... but sky tv is takin the piss when its been played to 20 nights out of 30 in December... I LOVE Clark W Griswold, but come on to fook!
Did his career decline.... would give anything for an appearance of Chevy in anything these days... a cheeky cameo.... summit  :D

have you seen The Old Navy commercials with him in them?  ???

Written By: 80sfan on 12/29/12 at 10:41 pm

If he is that much of a dick, then I guess karma came, and kicked his career to the curb! :-\\

Written By: fredrickthe94guy on 01/10/13 at 12:23 am

have u guys seen "Community''? Chevy is the main cast there in the show its airing its 4th season in 7th february

Written By: snozberries on 01/10/13 at 10:35 am

have u guys seen "Community''? Chevy is the main cast there in the show its airing its 4th season in 7th february

Have you read my posts re community  ::)

Also...he quit partway thru season 4. Thank god.

Check for new replies or respond here...