inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: Why was the eighties dominated by older musicians?

Written By: belmont22 on 01/10/13 at 4:27 am

I was doing some research on the average age of the people in the Top Ten songs of the Year End Billboard charts and it turns out the mean ages are something like this:

2012: 26.44 years - Born 1985-86
2007: 29.33 years - Born 1977-78
2002: 26.35 years - Born 1975-76
1997: 26.60 years - Born 1970-71
1992: 24.30 years - Born 1967-68
1987: 32.05 years - Born 1955
1982: 30.93 years - Born 1951
1972: 32.00 years - Born 1940
1962: 25.64 years - Born 1936-37

For the past 20 years, at least based on the data from 1992, 1997, 2002, 2007, and 2012 the median age of a musician has hovered around 26-27 years. 2007 has a higher average because it was a good year for Gwen Stefani and I think Jay-Z who are older well established artists so it's a bit of an anomaly.

Do you think the reason 80s artists tended to be older than the ones of the early 90s to present is because so many of them were Baby Boomer artists, many with established music careers and mature long-term fan bases? Unless 1987 was a really 'old' year for music and 1992 unusually 'young' (and admittedly, the fact I put in the ages of Kris Kross skewed the average a bit  ;D  ), it seems like in the late 80s/early 90s there was a dramatic shift from Boomer musicians born in the 50s to Gen X musicians born from the mid 60s to early 70s, which I suspect is part of the reason why music changed a lot during this period.

Subject: Re: Why was the eighties dominated by older musicians?

Written By: belmont22 on 01/10/13 at 4:34 am

Interestingly though, despite the old chestnut that today's music is dominated by teen artists, the fact is that today's musicians are on average the same age they were in 1962!  :o  And in the past 20 years, have actually become slightly older on average, perhaps because some of the artists that have become well-established since the 90s/early 2000s are still popular.

Written By: yelimsexa on 01/10/13 at 9:06 am

Rock and R&B/Soul were still the two most dominant genres of music in the '80s as in the '60s and '70s, meaning that many older artists could simply adapt to some updated synth technology. By the early '90s, the tail-end boomers had all settled down with marriage and kids and Gen X was composed of teens, college kids, and fresh college grads that embraced the current sounds and the Boomers would wax nostalgic mostly listening to oldies/classic rock and felt that the new grunge was too "dirty" and the rap/hip-hop was "too vulgar", feeling it would be bad for their children. But remember that Generation X was a small demographic, and it took a while for the Boomers to pass through their creative phase. It was easier for a '60s artist to adapt to '80s trends than it was for a '70s (even early '80s) artist to adapt to '90s styles. This is despite the presence of MTV; perhaps it was Reagan's neoconservatism that allowed a more family-friendly image?

Written By: belmont22 on 01/10/13 at 12:26 pm

Rock and R&B/Soul were still the two most dominant genres of music in the '80s as in the '60s and '70s, meaning that many older artists could simply adapt to some updated synth technology. By the early '90s, the tail-end boomers had all settled down with marriage and kids and Gen X was composed of teens, college kids, and fresh college grads that embraced the current sounds and the Boomers would wax nostalgic mostly listening to oldies/classic rock and felt that the new grunge was too "dirty" and the rap/hip-hop was "too vulgar", feeling it would be bad for their children. But remember that Generation X was a small demographic, and it took a while for the Boomers to pass through their creative phase. It was easier for a '60s artist to adapt to '80s trends than it was for a '70s (even early '80s) artist to adapt to '90s styles. This is despite the presence of MTV; perhaps it was Reagan's neoconservatism that allowed a more family-friendly image?

I think you're right. It was a generation gap, and also the fact the Boomers were still fairly young in the 80s and so are great in numbers. Gen X music didn't last nearly as long, they dominated music from about 1992 to 2005 before Gen Y really usurped them. In fact even by the year 2000 you had Christina, Beyonce and Britney who are all early Gen Ys.

Written By: whistledog on 01/10/13 at 11:14 pm

Dominated by older musicians?

It's good to know that you were around in the 80s so you know how it really was ::)

Written By: belmont22 on 01/11/13 at 1:10 am

Dominated by older musicians?

It's good to know that you were around in the 80s so you know how it really was ::)

Charts don't lie son!

Written By: Paul on 01/11/13 at 4:11 am

Charts don't lie son!

Depends what charts you're looking at...

The world doesn't begin and end with Billboard, y'know...

Written By: Jquar on 01/13/13 at 5:04 pm

Yeah I wouldn't say the 80s were dominated by older artists, really. More so than today perhaps, but if you look at the most commercially successful artists of the 1980s you get:

Prince, born 1958
Michael Jackson, born 1958
Madonna, born 1958
Janet Jackson, born 1966
Whitney Houston, born 1963
George Michael, born 1963
Jon Bon Jovi, born 1962
Duran Duran, founders born in 1960 and 1962
Cyndi Lauper, born 1953
Phil Collins, born 1951
Huey Lewis, born 1950
Lionel Richie, born 1949
Hall and Oates, born 1946 and 1949
U2, born 1960-1961
Bruce Springsteen, born 1949

So only a few of these people were in their 30s when the decade started, and many of them were in their 20s for the vast majority of the decade. Pretty young group.

Written By: Howard on 01/14/13 at 6:33 am

Yeah I wouldn't say the 80s were dominated by older artists, really. More so than today perhaps, but if you look at the most commercially successful artists of the 1980s you get:

Prince, born 1958
Michael Jackson, born 1958
Madonna, born 1958
Janet Jackson, born 1966
Whitney Houston, born 1963
George Michael, born 1963
Jon Bon Jovi, born 1962
Duran Duran, founders born in 1960 and 1962
Cyndi Lauper, born 1953
Phil Collins, born 1951
Huey Lewis, born 1950
Lionel Richie, born 1949
Hall and Oates, born 1946 and 1949
U2, born 1960-1961
Bruce Springsteen, born 1949

So only a few of these people were in their 30s when the decade started, and many of them were in their 20s for the vast majority of the decade. Pretty young group.

and a lot of them are still recording music.

Written By: Mushroom on 01/14/13 at 5:32 pm

Rock and R&B/Soul were still the two most dominant genres of music in the '80s as in the '60s and '70s, meaning that many older artists could simply adapt to some updated synth technology.

There are a great many factors.

One thing that can't be overlooked was the "Disco Backlash".  A lot of artists that were super-big in the mid to late 1970's were unable to make the transition away from their Disco Era, and quickly faded away.  This meant that a lot of people who were big prior to disco were able to return to pop (Olivia Newton John, Rolling Stones, Rod Stewart) while the younger acts were totally stereotyped and faded away.

Then you had 2 styles more or less merge, punk rock (Blondie, Talking Heads, Ramones, B-52s) who had a following already and been performing for a decade or more suddenly make it nationally at the same time that groups from overseas (Elvis Costello, Madness, The Cure) suddenly break in over here with the New Wave, where the polished and experienced bands suddenly had legions of new fans.

Written By: Philip Eno on 05/12/14 at 1:18 pm

Because younger musicians could not be bothered.

Written By: c_keenan2001@hotmail.com on 05/12/14 at 3:54 pm

Platinum Blonde Founders: Born 1959, 1960, and 1961 and their added bass player born 1956
Tears For Fears founders born 1961
Depeche Mode singer: Born 1962
INXS singer born 1960
Duran Duran singer born 1958
Boomtown Rats Singer born 1951
Starship singer Born 1939

Written By: SiderealDreams on 05/13/14 at 8:36 pm

It also depends a lot on the genre. With that said, let's look at two broad genres that interest me: goth/industrial/synthpop and to a lesser extent, metal.

It seems that most of the great gothic icons were born in the second half of the 1950s or the very early 1960s (so basically, the end of the Baby Boom generation with a handful of Gen X cuspers). For example:

Siouxsie Sioux and Peter Murphy (Bauhaus) - 1957 (an honorable mention for David Vanian of the Damned, born in October of 1956)

Andrew Eldritch (Sisters of Mercy) and Robert Smith (the Cure) - 1959.

Rozz Williams of Christian Death was born a little later in 1963 (same year as Carl McCoy of Fields of the Nephilim).

The same general age range is in place for the pioneers of industrial music too: Nivek Ogre of Skinny Puppy (1962), Sascha Konietzko of KMFDM (1961), Al Jourgensen of Ministry (1958), Bill Leeb of FLA (1956). Etc. And of course, we have Dave Gahan and Martin Gore (1962 and 1961 respectively) of every goth's favorite synthpop group, Depeche Mode. Can you think of any 80's goth/industrial personages born before 1956 or after 1963?

One thing I found interesting is that 80's metal and glam musicians seem to have had a much greater age range than the gothic or industrial types. For example, with glam metal you have everything from Klaus Meine of the Scorpions (born in 1948) to Slash of GNR (born 1965). And if we talk about all types of metal, you have everything from Ronnie James Dio (born in 1942) to Chuck Schuldiner of Death (born in 1967). That's three generations in one (admittedly broad) genre in a single decade!

So, having looked at just two genres, why would there be such a huge difference in age ranges between genres?

Written By: BayAreaNostalgist1981 on 07/24/14 at 11:23 pm

I've often thought about this too, and I think a big factor were the comeback singers and bands from the 50s/60s/early 70s. Since the 80s had alot of soft rock and adult contemporary-tinged music (and almost every genre was melodic) it was fairly easy for older established musicians to come back into the charts. All they had to really do was put some synths or keyboards into their music, maybe streamline their sound a bit, and make some videos for MTV.

Taking that into account, tons of 80s singers were in their 40s even early 50s.

Just off the top of my head...Peter Cetera (1944), Tina Turner (1938), Daryl Hall (1946), Grace Slick of Starship (1939), John Fogerty (1945), Rod Stewart (1945), Sammy Hagar (1947), Paul McCartney (1942), Roy Orbison (1936!!! He must've been the oldest)

Written By: 80sfan on 07/25/14 at 12:03 am

Maybe that's why music was better back then. I mean, music today is aimed at thirteen, maybe fourteen year olds at the oldest.

Written By: BayAreaNostalgist1981 on 07/25/14 at 12:58 am

Maybe that's why music was better back then. I mean, music today is aimed at thirteen, maybe fourteen year olds at the oldest.

Yeah, I think the catchy melodic nature of the music made it easy for almost anyone to get into it. I agree, with a few exceptions, I don't like how rhythmic and hip hop oriented most 2010s music is, and even the clean cut pop is boyband little girl stuff like 1D.

Written By: 80sfan on 07/25/14 at 3:19 am

Yeah, I think the catchy melodic nature of the music made it easy for almost anyone to get into it. I agree, with a few exceptions, I don't like how rhythmic and hip hop oriented most 2010s music is, and even the clean cut pop is boyband little girl stuff like 1D.

Ew, One direction. 8-P

Written By: Howard on 07/25/14 at 6:48 am

or it could be why we hate today's music because it's aimed at kids.

Written By: 80sfan on 07/25/14 at 6:49 am

or it could be why we hate today's music because it's aimed at kids.

Back then it was aimed at 15 year olds and older.

Written By: Howard on 07/25/14 at 7:29 am

I guess we're getting older.

Written By: BayAreaNostalgist1981 on 07/25/14 at 1:13 pm

For a real answer and someone who knows what he's saying  ;) ....I think 80s music was probably aimed at 15-30 year olds (perhaps with some casual fans as young as 6 or 7, and some as old as their 40s or 50s). Especially the retro tinged stuff like Bruce Springsteen or Hall and Oates.

Of course, the teenpop from the late 80s like NKOTB or Debbie Gibson wasn't that different from Bieber or 1D in that it was also targeted at 11 year old girls...but at least the crap was a small percentage of the entire music scene, unlike today.

Written By: Howard on 07/25/14 at 2:49 pm

Of course, the teenpop from the late 80s like NKOTB or Debbie Gibson wasn't that different from Bieber or 1D in that it was also targeted at 11 year old girls...but at least the crap was a small percentage of the entire music scene, unlike today.

and also guys enjoyed listening to Tiffany which was also targeted by small teen girls.

Written By: c_keenan2001@hotmail.com on 07/25/14 at 4:29 pm

and also guys enjoyed listening to Tiffany which was also targeted by small teen girls.

She wasn't the only one who was targeted by small teen girls.  So was Debbie Gibson and New Kids On The Block.  The Jets and every one of those teen pop acts.

Written By: Howard on 07/26/14 at 6:33 am

She wasn't the only one who was targeted by small teen girls.  So was Debbie Gibson and New Kids On The Block.  The Jets and every one of those teen pop acts.

all those artists back in those days such as Madonna and Michael Jackson, they both started a fad where fans started dressing like them, remember those days?

Written By: BayAreaNostalgist1981 on 07/26/14 at 12:26 pm

Yeah, that crap is a blight on the otherwise amazing 80s music. :) It doesn't really happen much these days (since its all a long time ago now), but years ago I'd really hate when you'd say "80s music" and someone brought the garbage pop from 1989 up. It didn't deserve to get lumped in with classic 80s music like Huey Lewis, MJ's Thriller, or Hall and Oates.

Written By: 80sfan on 07/27/14 at 3:23 am

Every mainstream artist pretty much targets teenagers their two or three albums, after that their sounds start to mature.

Written By: Howard on 07/27/14 at 2:09 pm

Every mainstream artist pretty much targets teenagers their two or three albums, after that their sounds start to mature.

Just like Michael Jackson in the 80's and after the 90's and early 2000's, his sounds changed.

Written By: violet_shy on 05/25/19 at 6:32 pm

Same with actors and actesses of the 80s! Most of the musicians and band members from the 80s were the same age as my parents, and a much older.

Written By: Mushroom on 05/29/19 at 5:20 pm

Same with actors and actesses of the 80s! Most of the musicians and band members from the 80s were the same age as my parents, and a much older.

Back then, music tended to change much more often.  There was a huge variety in pop music of the era, when people of all ages had to listen to whatever was on the radio at the time.

I know in the 1980s, my parents and I all listened to the same music.  And it was mostly Top 40.  Hall & Oates, Kenny Rogers, ONJ, Juice Newton, I think most under 60 could enjoy that music.  And Kenny Rogers was already well into his 40s by then.

At that time, the music was much less "youth oriented", and the artists frequently crossed decades and generations.  Kenny Rogers first charted in 1968, and regularly charted from 1977 to 1984.  But other than a single song that hit #40 in 1999 he has fallen off of the pop charts.

And not just him, Stevie Wonder first hit Top 40 in 1963, reaching #1.  And was still breaking the Top 40 until 1987, when that streak ended.  Billy Joel first hit in 1973, and hit regularly for 20 years until he fell off after 1993.  In the US, Sir Elton started his streak in 1970, but other than essentially a re-release in 1997 his hits stopped in 1994.  Today it is almost unheard of to find somebody in the Top 40 that has been in the industry more than 10 years, let alone the often 30+ years of many in the 1980's and before.

Not counting the occasional bone thrown by a young artist to an old and respected one.  I do not count Sir Elton's 1999 hit where he sang with the then hip LeAnn Rimes.  Or Willie Nelson singing with Toby Keith in 2003.  As a solo artist he has not broken the Top 40 since 1982.

It is rare today for me to find a pop song I can actually enjoy listening to.  Most to me just sound like recycled oldies thrown into a horrible synth cover with almost computer singing lyrics that are not recognizable.  Hell, the first time I heard "Blurred Lines", I was like "Oh no, what in the hell did they do to Marvin Gaye?"  And this has been going on for decades, I had the same feeling the first time I heard Gangsta Paradise.

Written By: Retrolover on 06/28/19 at 8:14 pm

Late Baby Boomers and early Xers were listening to both old and new singles of their favorite music artists from the 60s and 70s in the 80s.

Written By: AmericanGirl on 06/28/19 at 8:30 pm

Late Baby Boomers and early Xers were listening to both old and new singles of their favorite music artists from the 60s and 70s in the 80s.

From my standpoint, in the 80's, "oldies" had become really cool and we were exposed to music of the past in a major way.  We late Boomers were eating it up.  (70's music wasn't considered "cool" in the 80's, but it was familiar goodness.)  Until very late in the decade most of us were also enjoying then-current 80's music as well.  For those of us with a voracious music appetite, we had it really good then.  :)

Written By: Retrolover on 06/28/19 at 9:10 pm

From my standpoint, in the 80's, "oldies" had become really cool and we were exposed to music of the past in a major way.  We late Boomers were eating it up.  (70's music wasn't considered "cool" in the 80's, but it was familiar goodness.)  Until very late in the decade most of us were also enjoying then-current 80's music as well.  For those of us with a voracious music appetite, we had it really good then.  :)

40s to 60s music was being played on the radio a lot in the 80s. Like you were saying, the 70s were “yesterday” to most people in the 80s, so most Boomers were mainly listening to 60s and the then-current 80s music with some 70s in between.

Written By: AmericanGirl on 06/28/19 at 10:35 pm

40s to 60s music was being played on the radio a lot in the 80s. Like you were saying, the 70s were “yesterday” to most people in the 80s, so most Boomers were mainly listening to 60s and the then-current 80s music with some 70s in between.

Well, technically not "40s" music.  The oldies trend of the 80's featured music from the mid-50s on.  "40s" music never got big to younger generations in a major way, save some very slight TV acts coverage, because nostalgia wasn't a thing (at least to young folks) prior to around 1973, the time 50's rock era nostalgia started.  The only people listening to pre-rock era music in a big way (excepting classical) was the older generation.  60's and early 70's youth just weren't into nostalgia then.

Written By: Retrolover on 06/28/19 at 11:29 pm

Well, technically not "40s" music.  The oldies trend of the 80's featured music from the mid-50s on.  "40s" music never got big to younger generations in a major way, save some very slight TV acts coverage, because nostalgia wasn't a thing (at least to young folks) prior to around 1973, the time 50's rock era nostalgia started.  The only people listening to pre-rock era music in a big way (excepting classical) was the older generation.  60's and early 70's youth just weren't into nostalgia then.

40s music on the radio in the early 80s was a carryover from the 70s. It was gone before the 80s ended.

Written By: AmericanGirl on 06/28/19 at 11:45 pm

40s music on the radio in the early 80s was a carryover from the 70s. It was gone before the 80s ended.

Well, there was indeed 40's music on the radio.  But unlike "oldies" stations, stations playing 40's catered only to folks like my parents (aka "the old folks").  As a 20-something, I spent countless hours listening to "oldies" radio in the early/mid 80s, to WJMK the #1 Chicago oldies station (it was among my favorite stations while I was in college - and I listened plenty afterwards, too).  Music before around 1954 just wasn't played on it.  Plenty of 50's music, yes - but that was the oldest music being played.  Of course there was a ton of 60's music being played on it, and a little early 70's music.  But no appreciable amount of 40's music was played on it.

Written By: Retrolover on 06/29/19 at 6:30 am

The older musicians were falling off in different years of the 1980s. Of course, the musicians were nowhere near as great in the 80s as when their debut albums were sold in stores. Regardless of that fact, I seem to remember Boomers, at the time, enjoying the singles by the artists mentioned by the original poster of this board. Everything really started to change in the summer of 1990. My folks really did not like the hit singles on the radio from 1991 onward.

Written By: AmericanGirl on 06/29/19 at 7:45 am

...Everything really started to change in the summer of 1990. My folks really did not like the hit singles on the radio from 1991 onward.

As a late Boomer, I concur with this (for me personally, my disenchantment with "current" music happened even earlier, probably late-88ish)...

Written By: Howard on 06/29/19 at 2:20 pm

More like late 50's Doo-Wop And Motown music was being played on the radio back then.

Written By: Retrolover on 07/07/19 at 11:22 pm

The 80s were to Boomers what the 10s have been to Gen Xers and the 2020s will be to Millennials.

Most Baby Boomers would prefer to live in the 60s and 70s again over the 80s. Their favorite artists from the 60s and 70s lost their spark in the 80s by changing their sound.

Written By: Howard on 07/08/19 at 5:20 am

The 80s were to Boomers what the 10s have been to Gen Xers and the 2020s will be to Millennials.

Most Baby Boomers would prefer to live in the 60s and 70s again over the 80s. Their favorite artists from the 60s and 70s lost their spark in the 80s by changing their sound.

Just like Tina Turner, Lionel Richie and Michael Jackson to name a few.

Written By: Retrolover on 07/08/19 at 9:18 am

Tina Turner was in the safe zone in the 80s along with Aretha Franklin. I know plenty of Boomers who play 80s singles from Tina and Aretha. “What’s Love Got to Do with It” was even the title of a 1993 biographical film about Tina Turner.

As for Lionel Richie, his singles released before 1984 can be heard by quite a few Boomers today.

Many late Boomers and early Gen Xers were not feeling Michael Jackson’s Thriller and Bad albums in the 80s either.

Groups like Jefferson Starship and Fleetwood Mac were fell off in the 80s also and no one saw that coming at the time.

Written By: Howard on 07/09/19 at 7:22 am

Tina Turner was in the safe zone in the 80s along with Aretha Franklin. I know plenty of Boomers who play 80s singles from Tina and Aretha. “What’s Love Got to Do with It” was even the title of a 1993 biographical film about Tina Turner.

As for Lionel Richie, his singles released before 1984 can be heard by quite a few Boomers today.

Many late Boomers and early Gen Xers were not feeling Michael Jackson’s Thriller and Bad albums in the 80s either.

Groups like Jefferson Starship and Fleetwood Mac were fell off in the 80s also and no one saw that coming at the time.

What about groups such as Kool And The Gang & Earth Wind And Fire? ???

Written By: Retrolover on 07/10/19 at 8:21 am

Most fans of the new groups from the 70s were waiting for their favorite bands’ greatest hits albums to come out in the 80s.

Written By: AmericanGirl on 07/13/19 at 10:41 pm

Most fans of the new groups from the 70s were waiting for their favorite bands’ greatest hits albums to come out in the 80s.

There are a lot of generalities in this thread that tend to over-simplify things.  Allow me (a late Boomer) to rebut a little.  During the 80's, most of us late Boomers liked popular 80's music.  But, to borrow a phrase from Bob Seger, 80's music when compared to its predecessors "ain't got the same soul" - part of the reason for oldies' popularity.  That said, it wasn't as if us 20-somethings snubbed 80's music - on the contrary, we consumed it in large quantities.  We listened to it, danced to it, celebrated it, purchased records and tapes - en masse.  The synthesized sound of the 80's had been introduced in the 70's - so we were familiar with it - the 80's just kicked it up a notch.  Most of us were fine with the most popular 80's genres.  As for 70s/80s popular artists, there were quite a number, and some did better in the 80's, some did worse - totally normal - no "one size fits all" formula.  A late Boomer consumer would often both celebrate familiar artists of the past while welcoming new 80's artists with no problems.  For instance my album collection contained 80's Aretha Franklin, Men at Work, 80's Fleetwood Mac, and Culture Club.  I enjoyed them all.

One area where late Boomers like myself likely differed from younger generations is, a lot of us saw Rap and Hip Hop as "novelty only" art and had trouble taking it seriously.  Plus for some of the late 80's/90's music I heard, a lot of it sounded strangely spare, intentionally, and that didn't appeal to me.  Another thing, and this is just me, I started to notice some vocal stylings becoming "over the top" towards the end of the decade - I listened to certain vocal performances and thought "why don't you sing it straight?" (the singers I grew up listening to were for the most part phenomenal, and they sang it straight).  These are a few reasons I didn't get into very late 80's/90's music - and these reasons (and others) may also be shared by other late Boomers.

Written By: Retrolover on 07/29/19 at 9:32 am

There are a lot of generalities in this thread that tend to over-simplify things.  Allow me (a late Boomer) to rebut a little.  During the 80's, most of us late Boomers liked popular 80's music.  But, to borrow a phrase from Bob Seger, 80's music when compared to its predecessors "ain't got the same soul" - part of the reason for oldies' popularity.  That said, it wasn't as if us 20-somethings snubbed 80's music - on the contrary, we consumed it in large quantities.  We listened to it, danced to it, celebrated it, purchased records and tapes - en masse.  The synthesized sound of the 80's had been introduced in the 70's - so we were familiar with it - the 80's just kicked it up a notch.  Most of us were fine with the most popular 80's genres.  As for 70s/80s popular artists, there were quite a number, and some did better in the 80's, some did worse - totally normal - no "one size fits all" formula.  A late Boomer consumer would often both celebrate familiar artists of the past while welcoming new 80's artists with no problems.  For instance my album collection contained 80's Aretha Franklin, Men at Work, 80's Fleetwood Mac, and Culture Club.  I enjoyed them all.

One area where late Boomers like myself likely differed from younger generations is, a lot of us saw Rap and Hip Hop as "novelty only" art and had trouble taking it seriously.  Plus for some of the late 80's/90's music I heard, a lot of it sounded strangely spare, intentionally, and that didn't appeal to me.  Another thing, and this is just me, I started to notice some vocal stylings becoming "over the top" towards the end of the decade - I listened to certain vocal performances and thought "why don't you sing it straight?" (the singers I grew up listening to were for the most part phenomenal, and they sang it straight).  These are a few reasons I didn't get into very late 80's/90's music - and these reasons (and others) may also be shared by other late Boomers.

Do you agree with this statement from The Data Lounge?

“There are so many artists who were cool in the 70s but then started to suck in the 80s, like Stevie Wonder, Elton, Heart, and Bowie.”

Written By: wixness on 07/29/19 at 11:14 am

Another reason why I dislike 2010s music. I don't think age has to do with it though, since I can't stand Sam Smith's or Adele's music. I'd wager 2010s music almost deliberately wants to sound bad as a backlash to the derivative pop-punkish sound of the 2000s.

Written By: Voiceofthe70s on 07/29/19 at 12:36 pm

Do you agree with this statement from The Data Lounge?

“There are so many artists who were cool in the 70s but then started to suck in the 80s, like Stevie Wonder, Elton, Heart, and Bowie.”

As someone who came through the the 60s and 70s, I can tell you this statement is unequivocally correct. Many great, great artists of the 60s and 70s "lost their way", so to speak, in the 80s. Hell, one of those artists, Kris Kristofferson, even wrote a song about it, "Shipwrecked In the 80s". Many artists of the 60s and 70s such as Bob Dylan, Neil Young, Stevie Nicks. CSN, all still had ongoing successful careers in the 80s and felt (or their record labels felt) they needed to "remain current" and competetive in the marketplace. Keep in mind, in the 80s all things 60s and 70s were held in scorn and derision. So all started making awful sounding albums with very cheesy 80s production. Yes, even Bob Dylan made synthesizer-sh "produced" albums in the 80s. This type of production dated very fast, unlike the timelessness of the 60s and 70s. It wasn't until the 90s that these artists became appreciated as "classic" and "timless" and were able to get back to a sound more in line with what made them great in the first place. Some are still going strong to this day.

Written By: Retrolover on 07/29/19 at 10:18 pm

As someone who came through the the 60s and 70s, I can tell you this statement is unequivocally correct. Many great, great artists of the 60s and 70s "lost their way", so to speak, in the 80s. Hell, one of those artists, Kris Kristofferson, even wrote a song about it, "Shipwrecked In the 80s". Many artists of the 60s and 70s such as Bob Dylan, Neil Young, Stevie Nicks. CSN, all still had ongoing successful careers in the 80s and felt (or their record labels felt) they needed to "remain current" and competetive in the marketplace. Keep in mind, in the 80s all things 60s and 70s were held in scorn and derision. So all started making awful sounding albums with very cheesy 80s production. Yes, even Bob Dylan made synthesizer-sh "produced" albums in the 80s. This type of production dated very fast, unlike the timelessness of the 60s and 70s. It wasn't until the 90s that these artists became appreciated as "classic" and "timless" and were able to get back to a sound more in line with what made them great in the first place. Some are still going strong to this day.

Almost all of the 80s hit singles by Paul McCartney, Elton John, Diana Ross, Stevie Nicks, Starship, post-1983 Stevie Wonder, Peter Cetera, Rod Stewart, and other 60s and 70s musicians should stay in the 80s.  :o

The 80s were the tackiest decade ever. Unfortunately, nobody realized that until the 80s were over.

Written By: Voiceofthe70s on 07/29/19 at 11:11 pm

The 80s were the tackiest decade ever. Unfortunately, nobody realized that until the 80s were over.

Wrong! I noticed it from the very beginning. Right from the get go when the cultural 80s began on the dot in 1981 after the assassination of John Lennon and the election of Ronald Reagan. After the cosmic consciousness of the 60s and 70s I felt as out of place as a space alien who fell to earth in the tacky 80s. We had gone from George Harrison's spiritually questing "Living I The Material World"  in 1973 to Madonna's crudely materialistic "Material Girl" in 1984. I continually looked around me in the 80s and wondered where it had all gone.

Written By: Retrolover on 07/30/19 at 9:08 am

Bottom line- The number one eighties hits by older musicians sounded okay to Boomers at the time as the 80s were coming along, but they don’t hold up well today. Most of the songs were thought of as party and work music at the time. I don’t think too many people took the new music by older musicians seriously. Sure, some of the selections made Boomers and early Xers nostalgic for the 70s, but many Boomers and early Xers seemed not to mind it at the time. There were songs by older artists in the 80s that Boomers and early Xers hated, but Boomers and early Xers mainly spent their time in the 80s ripping on music made for late Xers and Xennials. 

Sadly, even the new artists of the early 80s that made music for Boomers and early Xers had albums that were mediocre or flat by the end of the electric eighties.

Written By: AmericanGirl on 07/30/19 at 11:29 am

Late Boomer here.  In my opinion, 80's music wasn't horrible - but was considerably inferior to what came before it.  (Whether by older musicians or newer ones, little difference IMO.)  By and large it failed to have that "stick to your ribs" vibe.  As an illustration, if you're really hungry, would you rather have a juicy pulled pork sandwich or some cotton candy?  The latter might help your appetite, but you don't feel very satiated from it if you're hungry.  That's why I gave so much attention to "oldies" and 70's music during the 80's - they were my "pulled pork sandwiches", whereas new 80's music was to some extent "cotton candy".  (No offense intended to those who wouldn't eat pulled pork for various reasons...)

I was still able to enjoy 80's music for what it was.  I just needed more.

In my opinion whereas 80's music was inferior, the music that came after the 80's was, to use the same metaphor, by and large inedible (with a few exceptions as always).

This is my opinion.

Written By: Retrolover on 07/30/19 at 12:43 pm

Late Boomer here.  In my opinion, 80's music wasn't horrible - but was considerably inferior to what came before it.  (Whether by older musicians or newer ones, little difference IMO.)  By and large it failed to have that "stick to your ribs" vibe.  As an illustration, if you're really hungry, would you rather have a juicy pulled pork sandwich or some cotton candy?  The latter might help your appetite, but you don't feel very satiated from it if you're hungry.  That's why I gave so much attention to "oldies" and 70's music during the 80's - they were my "pulled pork sandwiches", whereas new 80's music was to some extent "cotton candy".  (No offense intended to those who wouldn't eat pulled pork for various reasons...)

I was still able to enjoy 80's music for what it was.  I just needed more.

In my opinion whereas 80's music was inferior, the music that came after the 80's was, to use the same metaphor, by and large inedible (with a few exceptions as always).

This is my opinion.

You’re the only late Boomer I know who has came to the defense of 80s music. The late Boomers in my life love hearing 60s and 70s music with some pre-1983 80s music thrown  in.

The electric 80s got to high on itself in the mid 80s. I’m sorry, but music from 1984 onwards is unbearable.

Not to mention, everything that most Xers today hate about the 90s began in the 80s. The 80s were the first ever decade where nostalgia for previous periods (The 50s and 60s) was found in everything.

Written By: AmericanGirl on 07/30/19 at 1:06 pm

...to the defense of 80s music...

Hmm, not quite sure about that, as I opine that 80's music is inferior to its predecessors  :-\\

...The electric 80s got to high on itself in the mid 80s...

Agree!

...music from 1984 onwards is unbearable...

I too prefer early 80's over late 80's music.  IMO it's just better.  I did consume some later 80's music - I went clubbing a lot in the latter half of the 80's - but a lot of that music, though fun to dance to, is very much of the "forgettable" caliber.  With exceptions, of course.  Although I don't find most of it "unbearable" (until maybe mid-88 or so) - I reserve that term for post-80's music...

Written By: Retrolover on 07/30/19 at 1:27 pm

Hmm, not quite sure about that, as I opine that 80's music is inferior to its predecessors.  :-\\

I was rushing earlier. I saw you type that 80s music wasn’t horrible and you enjoy it for what it was and came to the conclusion that you were a 60s, 70s, and 80s music collector. Sorry about that.

Written By: Voiceofthe70s on 07/30/19 at 1:27 pm

The electric 80s got to high on itself in the mid 80s.

What specifically does the term "the electric 80s" refer to?

Not to mention, everything that most Xers today hate about the 90s began in the 80s. The 80s were the first ever decade where nostalgia for previous periods (The 50s and 60s) was found in everything.

This isn't entirely correct. the 80s had a nostalgia for, or more accurately a return to, the 50s but absolutely not the 60s. In the 80s everything 60s and 70s was held in scorn and derision.  Everything went back to the 50s. The fashions like skinny ties, narrower lapels, pointy sunglasses, teased hair, etc. 80s new wave music is a synthesized update of 50s music. The political spectrum swung from left leaning 60s and 70s ideals to super-conservative Reagan ideals, which was a 1950s ideology.. The 80s tried to erase the 60s and 70s completely and did a damn good job of it, much to my dismay.

Written By: Retrolover on 07/30/19 at 1:55 pm

What specifically does the term "the electric 80s" refer to?

This isn't entirely correct. the 80s had a nostalgia for, or more accurately a return to, the 50s but absolutely not the 60s. In the 80s everything 60s and 70s was held in scorn and derision.  Everything went back to the 50s. The fashions like skinny ties, narrower lapels, pointy sunglasses, teased hair, etc. 80s new wave music is a synthesized update of 50s music. The political spectrum swung from left leaning 60s and 70s ideals to super-conservative Reagan ideals, which was a 1950s ideology.. The 80s tried to erase the 60s and 70s completely and did a damn good job of it, much to my dismay.

Your screen name is Voiceofthe70s and you don’t know what I’m referring to when I say ‘electric eighties’? The 80s were the decade of New Wave, Electro Funk, and all things robotic period. The 80s weren’t as organic as the 70s and 90s.

Also, you don’t remember 60s nostalgia being new in the 80s? “The Wonder Years” was the biggest show on TV in 1989. Fred Savage even appeared on the last MAD magazine cover of the 80s. Not to mention, Dr. Martin Luther King, Jr. Day was a nationwide holiday for the first time in the US. Jams shorts were worn by boys, teens, and even some early Xers from the mid 80s to late 80s. How about the Adam West versus Michael Keaton debate of 1989 into the 90s? Then again, all of the 60s revival targeted mainly late Gen Xers and Xennials in the 80s. I’m sure Boomers preferred the actual 60s to the 60s comeback movement in the 80s.

Written By: Retrolover on 07/30/19 at 1:57 pm

Although I don't find most of it "unbearable" (until maybe mid-88 or so) - I reserve that term for post-80's music...

‘84 to ‘89 music is badly dated. I only play mid to late 80s music behind closed doors with my earphones on.

Written By: Howard on 07/30/19 at 2:03 pm

‘84 to ‘89 music is badly dated. I only play mid to late 80s music behind closed doors with my earphones on.

What's your favorite song from 1984 - 1989?

Written By: Retrolover on 07/30/19 at 2:11 pm

What's your favorite song from 1984 - 1989?

“Cherish” from Madonna.

It puts me in a good mood. I used to hear it in department stores all the time from 1989 to some point in the late 90s.

Written By: Howard on 07/30/19 at 2:29 pm

“Cherish” from Madonna.

It puts me in a good mood. I used to hear it in department stores all the time from 1989 to some point in the late 90s.

"Cherish" from Kool And The Gang is a nice song to listen to.

Written By: Retrolover on 07/30/19 at 3:07 pm

"Cherish" from Kool And The Gang is a nice song to listen to.

That’s when they changed their sound. You don't hear that one played on the radio a lot these days like you did then .

My problem with music made by bands that Boomers love in the mid to late 80s was all of that reverb, synthesizer, kettle drum, drum machine, and soundscape being used in it. Everyone thought it sounded futuristic in the 80s, but nowadays most songs from 1984 to 1989 sound as if they belong in a circus, zoo, or carnival. I’m sorry, but they’re just horrible.  8-P

Written By: Voiceofthe70s on 07/30/19 at 3:11 pm

Your screen name is Voiceofthe70s and you don’t know what I’m referring to when I say ‘electric eighties’? The 80s were the decade of New Wave, Electro Funk, and all things robotic period. The 80s weren’t as organic as the 70s and 90s.

Also, you don’t remember 60s nostalgia being new in the 80s? “The Wonder Years” was the biggest show on TV in 1989. Fred Savage even appeared on the last MAD magazine cover of the 80s. Not to mention, Dr. Martin Luther King, Jr. Day was a nationwide holiday for the first time in the US. Jams shorts were worn by boys, teens, and even some early Xers from the mid 80s to late 80s. How about the Adam West versus Michael Keaton debate of 1989 into the 90s? Then again, all of the 60s revival targeted mainly late Gen Xers and Xennials in the 80s. I’m sure Boomers preferred the actual 60s to the 60s comeback movement in the 80s.

It's the word "electric" that threw me. I'm the one here who on thread after thread says how organic the 60s and 70s were compared to the 80s, but "electric" is a word more appropriate to the 60s than the 80s. "The Electric Kool Aid Acid Test" and all that. The 60s and 70s were pretty electric if you ask me. Perhaps a better description for the "lack of organics" of the 80s might be "the synth 80s", or even better, "the synthetic 80s".  Perfect!

Also, "The Wonder Years" didn't signify a 60s nostalgia wave in the 80s any more than 'Happy Days" signified a 50s nostalgia wave in the 70s. It was more like the Hollywood wish of one. Trust me, despite the popularity of the "Fonz" character, nobody, but nobody in the 70s, especially youth, walked around wishing it was the 50s because of "Happy Days".  In fact, notice as the series goes on how much more 70s looking the characters become. Likewise with "Wonder Years", as good a show as it was. Save for that first episode where a neighborhood boy dies in Vietnam, "Wonder Years" was the "safe, suburban" 60s. It didn't rattle the cage too much and almost could have been anytime.  Now, if Kevin Arnold (or the semi-hippie older sister) had gone to Woodstock and taken off their clothes and dropped acid (and LIKED it), THAT woulkd have been the 60s. But mainstream TV wasn't ready to do that yet.

And I don't think making Martin Luther King Day a nationwide holiday had anything to do with a nostalgia for the 60s, or had to do with anything about the 60s whatsoever, save for the fact that that happens to be the time he was doing his work.  His message was a timeless one.

Written By: Retrolover on 07/30/19 at 4:46 pm

It's the word "electric" that threw me. I'm the one here who on thread after thread says how organic the 60s and 70s were compared to the 80s, but "electric" is a word more appropriate to the 60s than the 80s. "The Electric Kool Aid Acid Test" and all that. The 60s and 70s were pretty electric if you ask me. Perhaps a better description for the "lack of organics" of the 80s might be "the synth 80s", or even better, "the synthetic 80s".  Perfect!

Also, "The Wonder Years" didn't signify a 60s nostalgia wave in the 80s any more than 'Happy Days" signified a 50s nostalgia wave in the 70s. It was more like the Hollywood wish of one. Trust me, despite the popularity of the "Fonz" character, nobody, but nobody in the 70s, especially youth, walked around wishing it was the 50s because of "Happy Days".  In fact, notice as the series goes on how much more 70s looking the characters become. Likewise with "Wonder Years", as good a show as it was. Save for that first episode where a neighborhood boy dies in Vietnam, "Wonder Years" was the "safe, suburban" 60s. It didn't rattle the cage too much and almost could have been anytime.  Now, if Kevin Arnold (or the semi-hippie older sister) had gone to Woodstock and taken off their clothes and dropped acid (and LIKED it), THAT woulkd have been the 60s. But mainstream TV wasn't ready to do that yet.

And I don't think making Martin Luther King Day a nationwide holiday had anything to do with a nostalgia for the 60s, or had to do with anything about the 60s whatsoever, save for the fact that that happens to be the time he was doing his work.  His message was a timeless one.

You must have been a book reader during the 80s.

There was a lot of uproar about “The Wonder Years” from the time it started until the end of ‘89 from Baby Boomers in the media. To this day, Joe Cocker’s “With a Little Help From My Friends” is a favorite of many Boomers. “The Wonder Years” didn’t break ground in the very late 80s like “Roseanne” did, but it was a top 10 show in the spring of ‘88 and fall of ‘89 into 1990. “The Wonder Years” wasn’t “Cosby” to Boomers in the 80s, but it wasn’t exactly “Full House” either. Falls in between.

On the plus side, the 80s weren’t the new 50s or 60s like the 90s were the new 60s and 70s. On the minus side, the new music being produced by 60s, 70s, and early 80s artists in the mid to late 80s belongs in the mid to late 80s. The movies of the 80s were also better when you saw them for the first time in the theater than when you see them on cable today. The songs and movies of the 80s have not aged well at all. Matter of fact, nothing from that whole decade is truly timeless.

Written By: Retrolover on 07/30/19 at 4:55 pm

Do these songs put anyone else in a trance when you hear them:

Hiroshima - One Wish (1986)

Mtume - Breathless (1986)

Kenny G - Songbird (1987)

^ Let us not forget that this music was once taken seriously by adults in the 80s. :o

The 80s were weird. I would never announce that I like anything from the 80s out loud in fear of embarrassment. Not a time I wish to return to.

Written By: Howard on 07/31/19 at 2:47 pm

That’s when they changed their sound. You don't hear that one played on the radio a lot these days like you did then .

My problem with music made by bands that Boomers love in the mid to late 80s was all of that reverb, synthesizer, kettle drum, drum machine, and soundscape being used in it. Everyone thought it sounded futuristic in the 80s, but nowadays most songs from 1984 to 1989 sound as if they belong in a circus, zoo, or carnival. I’m sorry, but they’re just horrible.  8-P

That's why there's YouTube.  ;)

Written By: Retrolover on 07/31/19 at 4:41 pm

That's why there's YouTube.  ;)

Indeed!

MTV Classic comes through sometimes also.

Written By: Retrolover on 08/09/19 at 12:31 am

Older musicians in the 80s who thought they were still appealing to Boomers:

NpJW6lFUA_g

Written By: Retrolover on 08/10/19 at 5:03 pm

“Barbie and the Rockers” is that whole 1983 to 1987 period for most older artists in the 80s.

http://3.bp.blogspot.com/_ziQmmF_S3pM/SV5vTKtyX5I/AAAAAAAABVI/zLy98HiON18/s1600-h/scan0019.jpg

Written By: 80sfan on 08/14/19 at 7:20 am

There was always adult contemporary on the radio then came 1999 and Britney Spears!  8-P  8-P  8-P
Music has really been dumbed down the past 20 years. To me, the 00's decade was a backlash against the intelligent lyricists of the 1990's acoustic and rock music. We didn't want to get too smart.....so then we hired Nsync, bad rappers, and Britney Spears!  ::)

Unfortunately, we haven't been able to dig ourselves out of mainstream music's dark age the past 20 years.

Written By: Retrolover on 08/17/19 at 9:20 am

There was always adult contemporary on the radio then came 1999 and Britney Spears!  8-P  8-P  8-P
Music has really been dumbed down the past 20 years. To me, the 00's decade was a backlash against the intelligent lyricists of the 1990's acoustic and rock music. We didn't want to get too smart.....so then we hired Nsync, bad rappers, and Britney Spears!  ::)

Unfortunately, we haven't been able to dig ourselves out of mainstream music's dark age the past 20 years.

Good adult contemporary is not coming back either.

From 1899 to 1998, sound recordings were good because they were brand new. In this century, sound recordings are being ran into the ground.  :\'(

Written By: Philip Eno on 08/20/19 at 1:50 am

Think"Traveling Wilburys"!

Written By: Retrolover on 08/20/19 at 9:10 am

Think"Traveling Wilburys"!

The Traveling Wilburys were better than most older artists in the late 80s. The Traveling Wilburys fell off in 1991. They are not most people think of when you say that the 1980s were dominated by older musicians. Paul McCartney, David Bowie, and The Moody Blues are better examples. Their careers all took a turn for worst in the 1980s.

Written By: Philip Eno on 08/20/19 at 9:30 am

The Traveling Wilburys were better than most older artists in the late 80s. The Traveling Wilburys fell off in 1991. They are not most people think of when you say that the 1980s were dominated by older musicians. Paul McCartney, David Bowie, and The Moody Blues are better examples. Their careers all took a turn for worst in the 1980s.
Macca's music career certainly turned downhill with the Rupert and Frog Chorus song?

Written By: Retrolover on 08/20/19 at 11:16 am

Macca's music career certainly turned downhill with the Rupert and Frog Chorus song?

I didn’t know about that one. Macca’s worst from the 80s was “Ebony and Ivory” (what was that  :o), “Spies Like Us”, and “Wonderful Christmastime”.

I didn’t mind his work with Michael Jackson, although I’ve heard people who older than me in the 80s say those singles were awful too.

Macca was better in The Beatles than he was with Wings overall. That’s common knowledge.

Everything Paul McCartney did with Wings before 1981 was much higher on the best singles of the 1980s list than his other work from then.

Basically, the 80s served as a time when Boomers got nostalgic for The Beatles and The Monkees and introduced their children (the late Xers and XYers) to the groups they loved as preteens. That’s all there was to that if you listened to Macca  in the 80s.

Written By: Philip Eno on 08/20/19 at 11:24 am

I didn’t know about that one. Macca’s worst from the 80s was “Ebony and Ivory” (what was that  :o), “Spies Like Us”, and “Wonderful Christmastime”.

That song is so bad, I refuse to put the YouTube link for it, and I feel that anyone who does will be 'fudged' the song is so bad.

Written By: Retrolover on 08/20/19 at 11:28 am

1986 or 1987 is when all of the older artists from the 70s and comeback artists of the 60s all started sounding the same. The music by the older artists in those years were the last hurrah for Boomers before more musicians that late Xers loved almost took over the charts.

Bette Midler was the most successful older musician out of all of them. There is not a Boomer, Jones, X, or XYer that doesn’t know of “Wind Beneath My Wings” or “From A Distance”. You couldn’t be alive during that whole Gloria Estefan, early Mariah Carey, early Celine Dion, early Amy Grant, Bette Medler, and Taylor Dayne period and not know any songs by a few of those aforementioned artists.

Check for new replies or respond here...