inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: Hip hop was so much better in the 80s

Written By: belmont22 on 01/12/13 at 5:51 pm

I really dislike most hip hop made after gangsta rap broke out in 1992. Rap was just so much more fun in the 80s. Beastie Boys, Run DMC, Neneh Cherry, Tone Loc, even the Fat Boys.

The beats were catchier I guess and the music and rhymes were easier to latch on to. I find hip hop from the past 20 years for the most part is either too violent and misogynistic or it tries too hard to be intellectual.

Oddly my favorite rap that's more modern is crunk. I think crunk had a lot of the fun of old school hip hop, after all it is a descendant of the 80s Miami Bass scene.

What were some of your favorite 80s rap songs?

Subject: Re: Hip hop was so much better in the 80s

Written By: moycon on 01/13/13 at 8:04 pm

Some of my favorite rap songs from the 80's

All You Can Eat - Fat Boys
Big Mouth - Houdini
You Talk Too Much - Run DMC
Radio - LL Cool J
The Show - Dougie Fresh

One rap song from the 80's that I've never been able to identify (I do have a crappy copy on tape I taped off the radio in the 80's somewhere) borrowed parts of the lyrics from "The Show". It had about 4 or 5 young kids taking turns rapping, and in between it would have that same "Six minutes, Six minutes, Six Minute (Insert name of kid) you're on" refrain "The Show" had. One girls rap I can recall parts of pretty well. "I am Shy Love the girl devastator and on the microphone ain't no one greater", and "Across the Pacific, I keep it specific and other MC you cannot deal with it, because I'm not edible, but incredible, all of my rhymes are arranged alphabetical, in order to make simple to find em, and if they are taped all you do is rewind them"

There was also a kid who I think was called Money Lover and he rapped VERY fast. Anyways, have no clue who sand it or what the song was called, I did hear someone playing it on the radio here in Atlanta about 12 years ago, but didn't catch the name. Any clue what it is?

Written By: Howard on 01/14/13 at 6:31 am

You  also got to remember The Sugarhill Gang, Grandmaster Flash, Kurtis Blow and The Funky 4+1.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_rwpBYQn3S8

Written By: Emman on 01/14/13 at 3:08 pm

I really dislike most hip hop made after gangsta rap broke out in 1992. Rap was just so much more fun in the 80s. Beastie Boys, Run DMC, Neneh Cherry, Tone Loc, even the Fat Boys.

The beats were catchier I guess and the music and rhymes were easier to latch on to. I find hip hop from the past 20 years for the most part is either too violent and misogynistic or it tries too hard to be intellectual.

Oddly my favorite rap that's more modern is crunk. I think crunk had a lot of the fun of old school hip hop, after all it is a descendant of the 80s Miami Bass scene.

What were some of your favorite 80s rap songs?

My favorite era in hip-hop would be the period from about '01-'03, mainly because of The Neptunes and Timbaland's productions.

Written By: c_keenan2001@hotmail.com on 01/14/13 at 4:43 pm

The Sugar Hill Gang: Rapper's Delight
Grandmaster Flash and the Furrious Four: The Message
Beastie Boys: Fight For Your Right To Party
Public Enemy: Don't Believe The Hype

Written By: Howard on 01/15/13 at 7:17 am

The Sugar Hill Gang: Rapper's Delight
Grandmaster Flash and the Furrious Four: The Message
Beastie Boys: Fight For Your Right To Party
Public Enemy: Don't Believe The Hype

and how about RUN DMC and Funky 4+1?

Written By: Howard on 01/15/13 at 7:19 am

Hip Hop back in the early 80's wasn't about drugs,violence,pimping and hoes, it was all about having fun,rapping on the streets and just enjoying yourself with friends while doing beatboxing and breakdancing.

Written By: c_keenan2001@hotmail.com on 01/15/13 at 11:53 pm

and how about RUN DMC and Funky 4+1?

I never heard of Funky 4+1.

RUN DMC and Jam Master Jay.  :)

Written By: Howard on 01/16/13 at 6:49 am

I never heard of Funky 4+1.

RUN DMC and Jam Master Jay.  :)

The Funky 4 +1 had a couple of hits during the early 80's with songs like:

Rappin & Rocking The House" (1979)
"That's The Joint" (1980)
"Do You Want to Rock (Before I Let Go) (1982)
"Feel It" (The Mexican) (1983)

But their biggest hit was in 1980:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SVxk9PW62Vk

Written By: Howard on 09/11/17 at 7:00 am

and speaking of old school hip hop, after 35 years the song "The Message" By Grandmaster Flash And The Furious Five, his lyrics still ring true in this day and age if you listen to it closely.

Written By: AmericanGirl on 09/11/17 at 10:46 pm

In the 80's, "Rap" music was well established.  However it wasn't until near the end of the decade that "Hip Hop" began to become a musical force.  For we who weren't engrossed in this type of sound, the change came on quickly.

It took me some time for me to sort out the question, "how does Hip Hop differ from Rap"?  In 1989 I started getting exposure to sounds that helped me answer that question.  This particular MC Hammer song (my first introduction to him) captivated me on VH1, and helped me start to reckon the "Hip Hop" vs. "Rap" difference (not to mention the eye-popping dance moves):

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OzpabFp1d44

Subject: Hip hop was so much better in the 80s

Written By: Dude111 on 09/12/17 at 2:05 am

I really dislike most hip hop made after gangsta rap broke out in 1992. Rap was just so much more fun in the 80s.

I really dislike people who say RAP IS HIP HOP... Nothing at all the same!!

RAP IS GOOD MUSIC WHILE HIP HOP (from the 90s on) is utter garbage.........

YES 80s HIP HOP WAS EXCELLENT (Tone loc,etc)

Written By: Howard on 09/12/17 at 2:28 pm

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PobrSpMwKk4

Written By: Howard on 09/12/17 at 2:31 pm

I really dislike people who say RAP IS HIP HOP... Nothing at all the same!!

RAP IS GOOD MUSIC WHILE HIP HOP (from the 90s on) is utter garbage.........

YES 80s HIP HOP WAS EXCELLENT (Tone loc,etc)

I agree.

Written By: Looney Toon on 09/12/17 at 3:24 pm

When it comes to Hip Hop I like late 70s to early 90s hip hop. Back when Hip Hop mainly consisted of Old School Hip Hop, East coast Hip Hop, Hip House, New School Hip Hop, and New Jack Swing (Hip Hop + RnB). But when West coast/Gansta Rap Hip Hop had gotten huge and dethroned all the hip hop styles I've done mentioned that's when Hip Hop became trash.

Nothing more than just overly dark and gritty try-hard lines of people mainly just talking about crime, money, drugs, girls, and sex. Things I just don't care about. To me Gangsta rap is what ruined Hip Hop.

Written By: annimal on 09/12/17 at 3:34 pm

I hate Gangsta rap

Written By: mxcrashxm on 09/12/17 at 4:13 pm

I hope you all know not all mid-90s+ rap was gangsta right? There was some non-gangsta rap during those times.

Check for new replies or respond here...