inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: If you could piece together the perfect 80's day...

Written By: wsmith4 on 02/18/13 at 8:30 am

What would you do?

I guess, for me, the perfect day would happen during summer vacation, and it would be a combination of Friday and Saturday.  I can't possibly squeeze everything I miss into 1 day, but this would be a good overall representation of what a perfect childhood day was like:

First, I'd wake up and grab a glass of apple juice and a bowl of Lucky Charms and sit in front of the TV and watch Saturday Morning Cartoons ... the Smurfs, the Snorks, Gummi Bears, Garfield and Friends

Then, I'd round up a few friends for some Big Wheel crash derby and hide and seek.  Throw is some "Mother May I?" and "Ghost in the Graveyard" for good measure :)

For lunch, we'd all head up the corner deli ("The Little Store"), for a sub, bazooka gum, Garbage Pail Kids, blow pops, and penny candy.  While we're waiting for our sandwiches, we'd play some arcade games.  Then, back home to eat lunch and play some Super Mario Bros and The Legend of Zelda on NES. 

Back outside for some adventure games, bug collecting, and bike riding.

Dinner would be pizza from our favorite local pizza shop, and more Nintendo :)

Then, back outside for a final game of hide and go seek at dusk.  Once the sun goes down, catch a few fireflies, then head inside.  My brother and I would grab some Oreos or Chips Ahoy and milk, cover the living room floor with blankets and pillows and our favorite stuffed animals, and settle in for 2 glorious hours of TGIF on ABC - Perfect Strangers, Full House, Mr. Belvedere, and Just the 10 of Us. 

Ahhh, what a perfect 80's day.

Subject: Re: If you could piece together the perfect 80's day...

Written By: Henk on 02/18/13 at 8:57 am

What would you do?

I guess, for me, the perfect day would happen during summer vacation, and it would be a combination of Friday and Saturday.  I can't possibly squeeze everything I miss into 1 day, but this would be a good overall representation of what a perfect childhood day was like:

First, I'd wake up and grab a glass of apple juice and a bowl of Lucky Charms and sit in front of the TV and watch Saturday Morning Cartoons ... the Smurfs, the Snorks, Gummi Bears, Garfield and Friends

Then, I'd round up a few friends for some Big Wheel crash derby and hide and seek.  Throw is some "Mother May I?" and "Ghost in the Graveyard" for good measure :)

For lunch, we'd all head up the corner deli ("The Little Store"), for a sub, bazooka gum, Garbage Pail Kids, blow pops, and penny candy.  While we're waiting for our sandwiches, we'd play some arcade games.  Then, back home to eat lunch and play some Super Mario Bros and The Legend of Zelda on NES. 

Back outside for some adventure games, bug collecting, and bike riding.

Dinner would be pizza from our favorite local pizza shop, and more Nintendo :)

Then, back outside for a final game of hide and go seek at dusk.  Once the sun goes down, catch a few fireflies, then head inside.  My brother and I would grab some Oreos or Chips Ahoy and milk, cover the living room floor with blankets and pillows and our favorite stuffed animals, and settle in for 2 glorious hours of TGIF on ABC - Perfect Strangers, Full House, Mr. Belvedere, and Just the 10 of Us. 

Ahhh, what a perfect 80's day.

Sounds like a fun day, Bill. Think I'd join you, provided you'd squeeze in some Dukes of Hazzard and A Team. ;)

Written By: bookmistress4ever on 02/18/13 at 9:16 am

I was slightly older then you in the 80s...so my perfect day would involve:

Alot of games at the arcade (including but not limited to: Dragon Lair and Cliff Hanger)

Going to Virginia Beach and walking the boardwalk and sitting on the wall (just looking out and meditaiting with the ocean waves.)

Eating DiCarlos Pizza (pizza by the slice - back when it still tasted pretty darned awesome)

Seeing my friend from high school whom I haven't seen in ages

Going to a teen dance wearing my purple leg warmers and jeans and (Duran Duran/Simon LeBon/Hungry Like the Wolf video hat (a fedora) and actually dancing and not caring how I looked as I dance (now I'm way to self-concious to dance anymore)

Also going to the county fair and riding the carnival rides

Cruising in the car with my teenage and giggle-y girlfriends - not having a care in the world.

Going home to my mom and dads and playing a bunch of cool Nintendo video games and watching Mtv videos

Shopping at the mall when it still had some interesting stores to shop at.

Going out to eat at either Shakey's pizza or Chi Chi's Mexican Grill (both of which have been long gone.)

Maybe I'd squeeze in a terrific 80s movie at the drive-in while I'm back that way (although it'd have to be a spring/summer movie)

Written By: Henk on 02/18/13 at 9:33 am

I was slightly older then you in the 80s...so my perfect day would involve:

I don't think age would have to be a restriction. I was in my teens in the 1980s, but for the sake of this topic I'm imagining myself being (much) younger than that. ;)

Written By: robby76 on 02/18/13 at 9:44 am

Nice thread! I'd place myself probably in 1985... would've been 8/9yrs old. Breakfast would be a nice big bowl of Froot Loops.

I'd then go to my local neighbourhood shops with my brothers and sisters - buy an Archie digest or GI Joe comic.

We'd have lunch at the local Wendys, washed down with a chocolate Frosty.

Afternoon would be a quick trip to the mall to my fave toy shop... Kathy's Toys where I'd pick out my next Thundercat or He-Man figure.

Then it'll be back home to play with the neighbourhood kids outdoors on our tree-lined street on our BMXs.

Dinner would be a family one at home, after which we'd watch an 80s sitcom like Family Ties (7.30pm) followed by an hour long show like MacGyver (started at 8.30pm). Bedtime on a school night was 9.30pm. BLISS!!!

Written By: Howard on 02/18/13 at 7:17 pm

A perfect 80's day, probably go back to 1985 watching Back To The Future at the movie cineplex then off for some pizza and ice cream later then maybe I'd go and play some arcades that would include Pac-Man, Popeye and Frogger.

Written By: warped on 02/18/13 at 7:18 pm

I was an adult in the 80s. Let's see.
A perfect day in the 80s for me would be to eat out with some friends, catch an early  movie, buy a couple of albums, come home and watch either a baseball game or hockey game on TV, depending on the season.

Written By: Paul on 02/24/13 at 3:09 pm

I'd go back to my schooldays, look at my 13 year-old self, shake my head and tell myself what an insufferable little t**t I was!

Written By: Howard on 02/24/13 at 3:12 pm

I'd go back to the early 1980's and tell myself, stop breaking stuff and make things last in this damn house.  ;D

Written By: moycon on 02/25/13 at 11:21 pm

That first posts sounds like a great 80's day.
Except substitute NES with Atari 2600!!

Written By: Philip Eno on 02/26/13 at 1:38 am

Perfect 80's day...

... no days were perfect, for Margaret Thatcher was Prime Minster in the UK for the whole of the 1980s.

Written By: Howard on 02/26/13 at 6:16 am

That first posts sounds like a great 80's day.
Except substitute NES with Atari 2600!!

I'd be at home playing with my collection of Atari games.

Written By: wsmith4 on 02/26/13 at 6:30 am

Howard! You only get 1 day - so far you've described 3, none of which sound very fulfilling LOL

Written By: warped on 02/26/13 at 7:14 am

Howard! You only get 1 day - so far you've described 3, none of which sound very fulfilling LOL

If this thread goes on for 6 or 7 pages, he will describe about 10 of them. I'm waiting for the first one where he makes out with (insert name of popular 80s chick)

Written By: wsmith4 on 02/26/13 at 7:17 am

If this thread goes on for 6 or 7 pages, he will describe about 10 of them. I'm waiting for the first one where he makes out with (insert name of popular 80s chick)

hahahaha yes that's sure to come!

Written By: CatwomanofV on 02/26/13 at 7:22 am

My perfect '80s day would have been NOT having Oct. 30th 1982-because that was when I got married to my first husband. So, my perfect day would be WITHOUT him. Another thing that would be perfect is that I wouldn't have to get up to go to work.

You know, come to think about it, my days weren't perfect until the '90s when I was no longer married to my first husband and I was no longer working. (But I did have to get up for school.)

Cat

Written By: warped on 02/26/13 at 7:33 am

My perfect '80s day would have been NOT having Oct. 30th 1982-because that was when I got married to my first husband. So, my perfect day would be WITHOUT him. Another thing that would be perfect is that I wouldn't have to get up to go to work.

You know, come to think about it, my days weren't perfect until the '90s when I was no longer married to my first husband and I was no longer working. (But I did have to get up for school.)

Cat

Wow you got married really young.

Written By: Howard on 02/26/13 at 7:33 am

HAHA!  ::)

Written By: CatwomanofV on 02/26/13 at 7:37 am

Wow you got married really young.

Oh sh!t-did I just date myself again?  :-[

Cat

Written By: Henk on 02/26/13 at 7:40 am

Oh sh!t-did I just date myself again?  :-[

Cat

No worries - we loves you anyway. ;)

Check for new replies or respond here...