inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: the 80s...the last of the "decent" decades?

Written By: bountyman32 on 02/23/13 at 8:55 pm

so me and several of my fellow "80s babies" friends have decided that the 80s was the last of the "decent decades". the music was good and actually meant something, kids actually went outside to play, toys were meant to last, you could still walk down the street at night without needing to carry a weapon.  does anyone else agree or disagree? why? or why not?

Subject: Re: the 80s...the last of the "decent" decades?

Written By: wildcard on 02/23/13 at 10:04 pm

I can definatly tell you that music beyond the 80's sucks

Written By: warped on 02/24/13 at 6:45 am

It's all subjective. People who grew up in the 1950s said the same thing. People who grew up in the 1970s said the same thing.

Written By: Howard on 02/24/13 at 3:07 pm

It was a decent decade for me growing up, didn't have to worry so much as I do now.

Written By: Bobby on 02/24/13 at 3:20 pm

It's all subjective. People who grew up in the 1950s said the same thing. People who grew up in the 1970s said the same thing.

...and they are going to say the same thing in 2040.

Written By: yelimsexa on 02/27/13 at 8:39 am

If you're a fan of the Cold War and hate being globally connected at your fingertips via Internet/Mobile Phones and prefer rock and R&B/Soul as the predominant music, then yes. Otherwise, lots of progress has been made since then, and even though mainstream entertainment has declined, there is a lot more good stuff released today than back in the '80s- the problem is you have to search a bit harder to enjoy it. I view the '80s today just like I would view the '50s in the '80s- a simpler time with noticeably different styles from the present. That said, I'd say in terms of how sexy/attractive/youthful a Baby Boomer looked, the '80s were the last decade in which they could have still passed as "young", as the '90s and beyond for them have all been about "aging".

Written By: 80sfan on 02/27/13 at 12:00 pm

It was the last of the Cold War decades!  :D

Written By: warped on 02/27/13 at 2:24 pm

If you're a fan of the Cold War and hate being globally connected at your fingertips via Internet/Mobile Phones and prefer rock and R&B/Soul as the predominant music, then yes. Otherwise, lots of progress has been made since then, and even though mainstream entertainment has declined, there is a lot more good stuff released today than back in the '80s- the problem is you have to search a bit harder to enjoy it. I view the '80s today just like I would view the '50s in the '80s- a simpler time with noticeably different styles from the present. That said, I'd say in terms of how sexy/attractive/youthful a Baby Boomer looked, the '80s were the last decade in which they could have still passed as "young", as the '90s and beyond for them have all been about "aging".

As a baby boomer, I was 27 in 1990. I think I was still young.  ;)

Written By: Howard on 02/27/13 at 7:21 pm

It was the decade of good music and not the rap crap you hear these days.

Written By: AmericanGirl on 03/02/13 at 3:39 pm

As a baby boomer, I was 27 in 1990. I think I was still young.  ;)

Late boomer  ;)

(Me too)

Ever heard a reference to 'Generation Jones'?

Written By: Inlandsvägen1986 on 03/02/13 at 4:03 pm

No, it was not the last decent decade. The last decent decade were the 00s up to ca. 2006.

Written By: warped on 03/02/13 at 4:52 pm

Late boomer  ;)

(Me too)

Yeah I have, but not for a long time though.

Yup, late Boomer, from `62.

Written By: Howard on 03/02/13 at 7:28 pm

Late boomer  ;)

(Me too)

What's Generation Jones?  ???

Written By: kingofpain on 03/11/13 at 11:35 pm

I grew up in the late 90s through the 00s.

80s music is far better than what my generation offered, IMO.

Written By: Inlandsvägen1986 on 03/12/13 at 3:48 am

Actually, a lot of music that people born in the 80s/90s produce is way better than the typical 90s music.

Written By: Howard on 03/12/13 at 6:16 am

I agree, I was alive during the 80's era and back then the music was far more listenable than today's garbage.

Written By: Venomous Mask on 03/16/13 at 1:05 pm

If you ask me, the last great year for music on the radio was 2003.

Written By: Howard on 03/16/13 at 7:07 pm

And the 80's had some great films, Do you agree?

Written By: danootaandme on 03/17/13 at 8:35 am

Depends on your definition of "decent", but really, it's all subjective.  Most decades have good and bad, and where you are, what you're doing, and who you're with, have a lot to do with it. 

Written By: Souldier on 03/22/13 at 10:52 pm

I would argue that the 80s was in many ways the last decade where the establishment of society was old fashioned. The young people in the eighties were like people today Id say but the older people were of a completely different time, I mean after all there were still plenty of old folks born in the late 19th century in the 80s!

Theres a HUGE generation gap between Silent Generation born prior to the mid 1940s and those who were born after the war. There isnt so much of a gap between baby boomers and generation y. Theyre both thoroughly modern generations, at least in the West.

The end of the Cold War and the boom of the Internet also made for our global society which didnt really exist in the 80s. In the 80s global culture was limited more or less to the US, parts of Latin America, Canada, Australia, Japan, Singapore, Hong Kong and Western Europe. Nowadays its pretty much everywhere except North Korea and some very remote parts of certain countries. Hell even in the 90s the Internet and cell phones were very uncommon outside of the West, we didnt REALLY have a global village until about 2004. China only just got McDonalds in late 1990 and its first internet connection in 1994 so it was still very much the Old China even in the year 2000.

Check for new replies or respond here...