inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: Let's talk about..."Dragon's Lair"!

Written By: The Valley Goth on 02/27/13 at 9:34 pm

Like, Hi, Fer Shurr,

"I was a deprived child."  That means that I didn't own an Atari system during the 1980s, or a video game of ANY kind.  Of course, I still have my ultra cool, 1989 GameBoy gaming system ("System" is, of course, an overstatement, as the GameBoy was all one little device), and the super Tetras game that came with it!

One day, a few years ago, I learned about who Dirk and Princess Daphne were, and I even watched a play-through or two of the 1983 video game "Dragon's Lair" on YouTube.  Interesting.

I wouldn't mind looking exactly like Daphne (I have a pretty good idea of how I'd say every word if I were her... ;) ), and Dirk is actually sort of sexy himself, in a "dork with a hidden sexy side" type of way.  Don Bluth had a mind that was determined to make everybody think about sex, didn't he? ;)  For the record, I watched many of his movies when I was a kid.

Well, anyway, here's a pic that'll make the ladies jealous, and that will make the guys positively indecent!  What?  You guys weren't expecting to fantasize about anybody for another few hours? ;) :

http://www.retrocrush.com/archive2/dragonslair/07.jpg

CREDIT: www.retrocrush.com

I'm STILL wondering why Don Bluth adopted the "flyaway side-pieces" hairstyle when he drew women.  I mean, did any REAL women wear their hair so that it looked like Princess Daphne's hair, circa 1983, or is Princess Daphne a 100% frisky fantasy of Don Bluth's creation?

So, what was YOUR relationship with "Dragon's Lair"/ "Dragon's Lair 2"?  When did "Dragon's Lair 2" debut, anyway?
;) 

Subject: Re: Let's talk about..."Dragon's Lair"!

Written By: whistledog on 02/27/13 at 11:42 pm

I have these ...

http://t2.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcR8xEbGZpQuepncsrKfGQrsw7lAuwo7rZByxk5fDxxCqkVgxKfC http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/3/3c/Dragon's_Lair_3D_-_Return_to_the_Lair_Coverart.jpg

I used to play Dragon's Lair in the arcades all the time.  It was super hard because you had to hit the button or follow the flashing light with the joystick at just the right moment, otherwise it was game over.  Once you master it, the only real challenging part with the first Dragon's Lair is remembering the pattern to beat the Dragon.  Once you beat the game, you realize just how short it actually is when you know what you're doing

I never finished any of the other Dragon's Lair games, and on Space Ace, I couldn't even get past the first scenario LOL

Written By: Howard on 02/28/13 at 6:29 am

Of course, I still have my ultra cool, 1989 GameBoy gaming system ("System" is, of course, an overstatement, as the GameBoy was all one little device), and the super Tetras game that came with it!

I still have mine but it's not in the greatest condition.

Written By: Bobby on 02/28/13 at 7:08 pm

Oh man, lol.

I had 'Dragon's Lair' on the 8 bit Amstrad CPC464 and I hated it. The controls were slow and awkward and judging the jumps was nigh on impossible. Truly awful. Here is a walkthrough of the game. If you want to play this yourself (which I wouldn't bother) then don't watch it as it gives away the ending.

I really did want to like the game though.  :-\\

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rJsKKnKJjGU

Written By: whistledog on 02/28/13 at 11:33 pm

Oh man, lol.

I had 'Dragon's Lair' on the 8 bit Amstrad CPC464 and I hated it. The controls were slow and awkward and judging the jumps was nigh on impossible. Truly awful. Here is a walkthrough of the game. If you want to play this yourself (which I wouldn't bother) then don't watch it as it gives away the ending.

I really did want to like the game though.  :-\\

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rJsKKnKJjGU

That looks pretty bad.  The one they made for the original 8-Bit NES was also bad.  The arcade version was the only real good one.

Written By: Red Ant on 02/28/13 at 11:58 pm

This one (which my uncle loved) and Gauntlet ate more quarters than any other 2 games of the day lol. iirc, DL was the first upright arcade game that cost 50c.

Ant

Written By: Bobby on 03/01/13 at 7:42 am

That looks pretty bad.  The one they made for the original 8-Bit NES was also bad.  The arcade version was the only real good one.

Well...Ironically, of all the faults in the Amstrad CPC game I can't really blame the graphics here. The Amstrad CPC had a whopping 64kb of memory. I don't know what the comparison would be between an Amstrad and an NES but I reckon it's got to be like comparing a Sega Master System with a PS2.

The controls however were a nightmare and completely killed my enjoyment of the game stone dead. Like the reviewer said, whatever you did was mainly guesswork and then after you guessed correctly you would just have to remember what you did afterwards to progress further.

Written By: Midas on 03/03/13 at 1:14 am

First played Dragon's Lair in 1983 at the local 7-Eleven. Space Ace in 1984 at some pizza joint in Aurora IL (Wayne's World!)
Dragon's Lair II: Time Warp debuted in 1991. I didn't play until 1992.

Like whistledog I have the DL Trilogy (which is actually DL, DLII and Space Ace) for the Wii.

Written By: moycon on 03/04/13 at 1:04 am

Loved Dragons Lair and Space Ace, was never into Dragons Lair 2 although I did watch a play through once or thrice.

As a kid, there were Dragons Lair games set for hard, in that you had to move the joystick or push the button at very precise moments. They also had an easier setting where you could move the joystick in the next direction needed, and it would make a deep noise, until it "took" and then it would plink and continue on. My local arcade had the easier setting and I could get to the dragon in one man. I loved it. It was when DL was losing popularity and they had dropped the price to .25 (It was originally .50, I think one of the first .50 games.) and they gave you 5 men. I really got my money's worth. I'd wait for the last move which was the button to throw the sword and kill the dragon, and instead not hit the button and let myself die, replaying the dragons lair scene 4 more time till my last man! At that point I'd finish him off!

These days I have Dragons Lair on Blu Ray. They remastered it and it looks AWESOME. I honestly don't even try to play it. The game play for the most part sucks. They don't have the easy setting as an option as far as I know. You have to do the moves perfectly or you die. It's pretty boring really. I do still watch through it from time to time. The animation is top notch.

Written By: whistledog on 03/05/13 at 11:14 pm

There was also a Dragon's Lair III that came out in the 2000s.  It incorporated graphics from Dragon's Lair 3D that came out for Xbox/PS2, but featured the classic format of the original Dragon's Lair and Dragon's Lair II:  Time Warp (follow the flashing lights, etc)

http://pics.mobygames.com/images/covers/large/1036851616-00.jpg

And of course, there was also the Dragon's Lair cartoon in the 80s.  Now available on DVD.  there was also a Space Ace cartoon (that aired as part of Saturday Supercade), but it is not on DVD yet

http://tvshowsondvd.com/graphics/news3/DragonsLair_CompleteSeries.jpg

Written By: Howard on 03/06/13 at 6:22 am

There was also a Dragon's Lair III that came out in the 2000s.  It incorporated graphics from Dragon's Lair 3D that came out for Xbox/PS2, but featured the classic format of the original Dragon's Lair and Dragon's Lair II:  Time Warp (follow the flashing lights, etc)

http://pics.mobygames.com/images/covers/large/1036851616-00.jpg

And of course, there was also the Dragon's Lair cartoon in the 80s.  Now available on DVD.  there was also a Space Ace cartoon (that aired as part of Saturday Supercade), but it is not on DVD yet

http://tvshowsondvd.com/graphics/news3/DragonsLair_CompleteSeries.jpg

I don't think I remember watching this on television.  ???

Written By: moycon on 03/06/13 at 8:20 pm

I have the DVD set for Dragon Lair. I actually glad it got brought up, as I've only watched a couple of episodes. I had forgotten I'd even had it, now that I'm reminded, I'll have to watch some more this weekend.

The animation is pretty rough compared to the game. And they seriously toned down the sexiness of Daphne, no shear clothing and nipples in the cartoon! LOL As a kid I liked it, at certain times in the cartoon, I think usually at commercial breaks, Dirk and company would be at a "cliff-hanger" and a narrator would explain the scenario and ask "what would you do?"  When the show resumed, it would show a couple things Dirk could have tried, usually resulting in his demise!! They also would end with, but this is what Dirk did do, and it was always the smart thing, and the story would continue on it way.

Written By: mashedbutton1 on 03/22/13 at 5:56 am

"

I never finished any of the other Dragon's Lair games, and on Space Ace, I couldn't even get past the first scenario LOL
"

Almost every version Space Ace of is very hard. Its one of those types of games you really need to be chronically obsessed to get anywhere.

Check for new replies or respond here...