inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: Looking for two sitcoms that I think are from the 80's

Written By: The Silver on 02/28/13 at 2:59 am

Hi al

The first show is about a washed up older glamor actress (i think American) who gets help from a cute english girl with glasses. Not a great show but i was so in love with the girl.
The second show takes place in a hotel, a comedy like Airplane or Naked gun.

Subject: Re: Looking for two sitcoms that I think are from the 80's

Written By: Henk on 02/28/13 at 5:34 am

Hi al

The first show is about a washed up older glamor actress (i think American) who gets help from a cute english girl with glasses. Not a great show but i was so in love with the girl.
The second show takes place in a hotel, a comedy like Airplane or Naked gun.

Don't know about the first, but the second could be "Fawlty Towers" (two series that originally aired in 1975 and 1979 respectively, but were rerun in later years, basically up till present).

Written By: snozberries on 02/28/13 at 8:19 am

If its not Fawkty Towers then there was a comedy about people in a hotel in 1973-ish
Called Hot L Baltimore

Written By: warped on 03/02/13 at 4:50 pm

I'm thinking the 2nd one is Fawlty Towers as well. The 1st one doesn't ring any bells for me.

@ The Silver    What country did you see these shows. Is the first one a British show?

Written By: whistledog on 03/02/13 at 6:01 pm

The hotel one, could it be 'Checking In'?  It was a super short lived spin-off fromn the Jeffersons starting Marla Gibbs as Florence Johnston who became the executive housekeeper in a posh hotel

Written By: Howard on 03/02/13 at 7:27 pm

The hotel one, could it be 'Checking In'?  It was a super short lived spin-off fromn the Jeffersons starting Marla Gibbs as Florence Johnston who became the executive housekeeper in a posh hotel

Wow, "Checking In" lasted only 20 days. What a flop that was.

Written By: Kay on 03/03/13 at 9:59 am

The hotel one I betcha was "It's a Living" look it up and tell me.  :)

Written By: The Silver on 03/04/13 at 4:32 am

Right after i had sent in this post i started to realy think about it and i started to se Anne Bancroft and sure enough the first serie is Freddie and Max 1990. The cute girl that stole my heart was Charlotte Coleman. Apparently she died a coupple of yers later.

The second show is not any of the suggested shows. It is a much more twisted humor, more like Airplane. There is a risk / chans that it is not about a hotel, it could be a radio station. the hotel / radiostation´s name was show on top of a building in neon letters.

Written By: warped on 03/04/13 at 7:10 am

Right after i had sent in this post i started to realy think about it and i started to se Anne Bancroft and sure enough the first serie is Freddie and Max 1990. The cute girl that stole my heart was Charlotte Coleman. Apparently she died a coupple of yers later.

The second show is not any of the suggested shows. It is a much more twisted humor, more like Airplane. There is a risk / chans that it is not about a hotel, it could be a radio station. the hotel / radiostation´s name was show on top of a building in neon letters.

Aha, Freddie and Max is a UK show. Most people here are American (I'm not) and that show is probably unfamiliar to most us. Having said that, there are a few here from the UK.

The Hotel/Radio  It's it's not a hotel but a radio station, I'm thinking WKRP in Cincinnati.
My 2nd choice might be "Throb" with Diana Canova and Jane Leeves, it was in the late 1980s.

Check for new replies or respond here...