inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: Sixteen Candles

Written By: singer on 03/22/13 at 10:05 am

Don't you think Sixteen Candles is way underrated compared to other 80's teen flicks like Pretty In Pink? I really love it and I think it deserves more mentions.

Subject: Re: Sixteen Candles

Written By: singer on 03/23/13 at 8:25 pm

Molly Ringwald's character in Sixteen Candles (Sam Baker) is more likeable than her character in Pretty in Pink (Andie). I'm sorry I really don't feel sorry for Andie at all in the entire movie. Here is my rant:

- Andie always has a bitch look on her face throughout the movie

-She is a total bitch to Duckie most of the time even though he was annoying. Rolling her eyes at him, cutting him off at the nuts when he was just trying to make friendly conversation. When she says to Iona "did you ever have one of these?!" when Duckie comes to Traxx to pick her up. Duckie should have told her to kiss his ass.

-The way she says in a condescending manner "American Platinum Express Card?" to Blaine when he wants to buy a record. Jesus she has issues with wealthy people all rooted out of jealousy.

-She goes to the party with Blaine and acts like a mopey bitch, chooses not to stick up for herself and gives Blaine attitude after he sticks up for her. She wouldn't even lighten up for a second. Blaine tells her they can go wherever she wants and he doesn't act like a dick about it, and he even laughs it off when people there pick on him.

-She acts like a psycho bitch when he is ready to take her home.

-She was only dating him for a week and she was stalking him on the phone getting lippy with his mother.

-She talks down to her father like she is his mother.

-She goes to the principal to complain that it isn't fair for her friend to get in trouble for doing the same thing that the rich bitches do.

-She is a rude bitch to Iona when it came to asking for the dress. "I just need it okay?!" Uh forget you bitch!

-She acted like a lunatic bitch in the halls screaming at Blaine and HITTING him. Yea it was a total puss move to do what he did, but she is acting like he wanted to take her Duckie to the prom instead of her.

-She was a bitch to Steff just for asking her out. Saying a polite no would have been better than her total bitch response.

-Her whole "oh this house is so pretty, they probably don't think it's as pretty as I do whah whah whah".... Stfu Andie, the people that live in that house probably worked their ass off for that house. Don't be all butthurt because your Dad can't even get off the couch to get a job at Mickey D's.

Written By: Dagwood on 03/23/13 at 9:54 pm

Molly Ringwald's character in Sixteen Candles (Sam Baker) is more likeable than her character in Pretty in Pink (Andie). I'm sorry I really don't feel sorry for Andie at all in the entire movie. Here is my rant:

- Andie always has a bitch look on her face throughout the movie

-She is a total bitch to Duckie most of the time even though he was annoying. Rolling her eyes at him, cutting him off at the nuts when he was just trying to make friendly conversation. When she says to Iona "did you ever have one of these?!" when Duckie comes to Traxx to pick her up. Duckie should have told her to kiss his ass.

-The way she says in a condescending manner "American Platinum Express Card?" to Blaine when he wants to buy a record. Jesus she has issues with wealthy people all rooted out of jealousy.

-She goes to the party with Blaine and acts like a mopey bitch, chooses not to stick up for herself and gives Blaine attitude after he sticks up for her. She wouldn't even lighten up for a second. Blaine tells her they can go wherever she wants and he doesn't act like a dick about it, and he even laughs it off when people there pick on him.

-She acts like a psycho bitch when he is ready to take her home.

-She was only dating him for a week and she was stalking him on the phone getting lippy with his mother.

-She talks down to her father like she is his mother.

-She goes to the principal to complain that it isn't fair for her friend to get in trouble for doing the same thing that the rich bitches do.

-She is a rude bitch to Iona when it came to asking for the dress. "I just need it okay?!" Uh forget you bitch!

-She acted like a lunatic bitch in the halls screaming at Blaine and HITTING him. Yea it was a total puss move to do what he did, but she is acting like he wanted to take her Duckie to the prom instead of her.

-She was a bitch to Steff just for asking her out. Saying a polite no would have been better than her total bitch response.

-Her whole "oh this house is so pretty, they probably don't think it's as pretty as I do whah whah whah".... Stfu Andie, the people that live in that house probably worked their ass off for that house. Don't be all butthurt because your Dad can't even get off the couch to get a job at Mickey D's.

;D So, how do you really feel?

I don't like that movie, either.  A big part of my problem is that I just don't like Molly Ringwald.  There is something about her that puts me off, big time.  (Don't get me started on casting her as Fran in The Stand.  SHE IS NOT FRAN!!!!!) 

I do love 16 candles, though.  It is the first movie I have seen her in so I have always been able to get past her in the film.  Plus, a big chunk of it doesn't even show her.  Long Duc Dong is one of the greatest movie characters ever.

Written By: 80sfan on 03/23/13 at 9:56 pm

I don't like that movie, either.  A big part of my problem is that I just don't like Molly Ringwald. There is something about her that puts me off, big time.  (Don't get me started on casting her as Fran in The Stand.  SHE IS NOT FRAN!!!!!) 

I do love 16 candles, though.  It is the first movie I have seen her in so I have always been able to get past her in the film.  Plus, a big chunk of it doesn't even show her.  Long Duc Dong is one of the greatest movie characters ever.

Does she come off a little smug to you?

Written By: 80sfan on 03/23/13 at 9:57 pm

Actually Sixteen Candles isn't underrated in my opinion at all.

Even Katy Perry's video "Last Friday Night" was kinda based on it.

Written By: Dagwood on 03/23/13 at 9:58 pm

Does she come off a little smug to you?

More than a little smug, a lot smug.  Almost like we should bow down and kiss her feet because she is Molly. 

Written By: 80sfan on 03/23/13 at 10:04 pm

More than a little smug, a lot smug.  Almost like we should bow down and kiss her feet because she is Molly.

LOL.

Written By: singer on 03/24/13 at 6:28 am

I don't like that movie, either.  A big part of my problem is that I just don't like Molly Ringwald.  There is something about her that puts me off, big time.

Well I like her very much although her 80's movies were made before I was born lol. I just wish I knew someone like her when I was a teen. In addition to 'Candles', I loved her cameo in 'Not Another Teen Movie'.
Anyway, I prefer 'Sixteen Candles' to 'Pretty In Pink' because it's more rough and somewhat less glittery. And it featured more humor and jokes. And also a wonderful red Porsche ;) 'The Breakfast Club' was nice, too but it was an ensemble cast and Molly's heroine was not the main star. In fact I think nothing tops her part as Samantha Baker in 'Sixteen Candles'.

Written By: Howard on 03/24/13 at 6:45 am

How about re-making Sixteen Candles?  ???

Written By: 80sfan on 03/24/13 at 6:48 am

How about re-making Sixteen Candles?  ???

No, just no. Lol.  :D

Written By: singer on 03/24/13 at 7:55 am

I think they should leave the classics alone. It'd be better if Hollywood remakes some obscure 80's movies like 'Final Exam'. BTW, I'm sorry that nowadays there are not many actors and actresses that look like real people like in the 80's.

Written By: Howard on 03/24/13 at 1:01 pm

No, just no. Lol.  :D

Just call it "32 Candles".

Written By: Howard on 03/24/13 at 1:02 pm

I think they should leave the classics alone. It'd be better if Hollywood remakes some obscure 80's movies like 'Final Exam'. BTW, I'm sorry that nowadays there are not many actors and actresses that look like real people like in the 80's.

I agree, they should leave the classics alone.

Written By: moycon on 03/25/13 at 11:33 am

I never felt like Pretty In Pink got more attention then 16 Candles!
16 Candles is and always has been AWESOME!
I think we went to see it like 3 times when it was out in the theater.
The comedy is far superior as well. I remember being a little disappointed going to the theater to watch Pretty In Pink, just wasn't much comedy, and honestly that dress she made at the end sucked. Not to mention 16 Candles has a shower scene. To a kid in 8th grade, that made it 1000% better right there!! LOL

Written By: Howard on 03/25/13 at 1:57 pm

What was 16 Candles about? ???

Written By: Dagwood on 03/25/13 at 6:48 pm

You have never seen 16 Candles?  You must, it is awesome.

It is about a girl whose 16th birthday takes place the day before her sister's wedding and everyone forgets her birthday.  Most of the movie takes place that one day. 

Written By: Howard on 03/26/13 at 6:14 am

You have never seen 16 Candles?  You must, it is awesome.

It is about a girl whose 16th birthday takes place the day before her sister's wedding and everyone forgets her birthday.  Most of the movie takes place that one day.

I don't think I have.

Written By: amjikloviet on 03/26/13 at 1:05 pm

Howard, you must be the only person on earth who has not seen 16 candles. lol.

Written By: karen on 03/26/13 at 1:19 pm

I haven't

But then these films (brat pack) weren't as popular in the UK anyway

Written By: CatwomanofV on 03/26/13 at 1:28 pm

16 Candles was definitely better than Pretty in Pink. I did not like Pretty in Pink at all-and that dress she made was just  8-P 8-P 8-P 8-P .

Cat

Written By: Howard on 03/26/13 at 7:06 pm

Hey I was a little kid at the time but I don't know if I saw it when it was on HBO or Showtime growing up.

Written By: warped on 03/26/13 at 7:43 pm

Hey I was a little kid at the time but I don't know if I saw it when it was on HBO or Showtime growing up.

It's OK Howard, my wife never saw it either, or "Pretty in Pink".

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 03/26/13 at 10:34 pm

Just call it "32 Candles".

They were going to do that in the nineties, but the project never got off the ground.  64 Candles might be just the thing!
:D

Don't forget in  "Pretty In Pink" Duckie came across as an obnoxious little pimp.  Farmer Ted was just a horny kid!
::)

Written By: Howard on 03/27/13 at 6:39 am

They were going to do that in the nineties, but the project never got off the ground.  64 Candles might be just the thing!

Are you serious?  ;D

Written By: Lindee on 04/11/13 at 9:26 pm

I've always felt that Joan Cusack resembled  Boy George in that movie.

Check for new replies or respond here...