inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: Why are the 60's revival(s) of the 80's so forgotten?

Written By: yearofthemonkey on 04/02/13 at 6:41 am

Was there something about the Sixties revivalism in the Eighties that slips into a memory hole? Most people who didn't live through the eighties have trouble recalling or even recognizing 60's elements in 1980's pop culture. Several website's descriptions of the "twenty-year rule" even leave out or skip through the eighties.

But yet, as Eighties people insist, it was definitely there, with TV shows like "The Wonder Years" and "thirtysomethings," movies like "Mississipi Burning" and "Stand By Me," revivals of tie-dye and peace signs in fashion, and the development of classic rock.

I've just finished reading "Happy Days and Wonder Years: The Fifties and Sixties in Contemporary Cultural Politics," and a couple of possible factors seem to stand out - the politicized nature of many sixties portrayals; the fractured nature of various sixties music revivals; and the somewhat smaller scope of 60's revival (compared to the Fifties boom of the 1970's). But that doesn't seem to be all.

So, what happened to the people's memories of 60's nostalgia in the 1980's? Why haven't they lasted the way the 50's or 70's booms have?

Subject: Re: Why are the 60's revival(s) of the 80's so forgotten?

Written By: snozberries on 04/02/13 at 7:30 am

I've had this discussion on these boards on more than one occasion.

I'm not sure where you're getting this

here's something I wrote in some thread that got locked

All you have to do is immerse yourself in tv shows and movies from the 80s and you'll observe an abundance of 50s & 60s songs...

That music was all over the place. Practically the only genre of 70s music that was hated was disco.

the 80s love affair with the 60s is clearly evident in many facets of pop culture produced at the time... 

Written By: warped on 04/02/13 at 7:48 am

the 80s love affair with the 60s is clearly evident in many facets of pop culture produced at the time...

Eeyup, totally agree.

Written By: c_keenan2001@hotmail.com on 04/02/13 at 1:19 pm

That gets a ditto from me.  There were a lot of great TV shows from the 60s that made great comebacks in the 1980s.  Shows like Giligan's Island, The Munsters, and the Original Bat Man series all made come backs at the time.  Even shows that had their time in the 1970s like Starsky and Hutch, The 1 Million Dollar Man, The Bionic Woman, Wonder Woman, and The Incredible Hulk enjoyed a great deal of success in the 1980s.

Written By: AmericanGirl on 04/02/13 at 4:29 pm

From my personal experience, 60's music made a big comeback splash in the 80's, the decade when oldies stations first became big.  Not only stuff like the Beatles - who had a resurgence in popularity then - but all types of 60's music began hitting the airwaves again for the first time in many years.

I used to listen to the oldies station a whole lot as a college student ('84ish).  I'd talk to my friends, many of whom said the same thing - or at least they weren't freaked out by that choice.  (As popular as 80's music might be today, at that time it didn't have quite the stranglehold on the youth that you would've observed in, for instance, the early 70's.)

I don't know the extent of the 60's influence on movies and television; certainly there was some.  But the influence on popular music was indisputable.

Written By: yearofthemonkey on 04/02/13 at 7:31 pm

It looks like nobody understood my topic. I know there was alot of 60's nostalgia back then, I even discuss it in my post.

My question is why nobody under 25 remembers it, even though they can easily recognize 20-year nostalgia in other decades.

Written By: Dagwood on 04/02/13 at 7:34 pm

It looks like nobody understood my topic. I know there was alot of 60's nostalgia back then, I even discuss it in my post.

My question is why nobody under 25 remembers it, even though they can easily recognize 20-year nostalgia in other decades.

Here's a thought.  Because they didn't live in the 80's and didn't have the first hand experience....and mostly of them probably don't give a damn anyway.

Forgive me if this is mean and mods delete away but what the hell kind of question is that anyway?  What does it matter if a 24 year old recognizes 60's nostalgia in the 80's?  Why don't we spend time trying to solve real problems to make the world better.  ::)

Written By: Howard on 04/02/13 at 7:38 pm

Why don't we spend time trying to solve real problems to make the world better.

I agree.

Written By: yearofthemonkey on 04/02/13 at 11:14 pm

Here's a thought.  Because they didn't live in the 80's and didn't have the first hand experience....and mostly of them probably don't give a damn anyway.

Forgive me if this is mean and mods delete away but what the hell kind of question is that anyway?  What does it matter if a 24 year old recognizes 60's nostalgia in the 80's?  Why don't we spend time trying to solve real problems to make the world better.  ::)

But many people my age can easily recognize "Happy Days" in the 70's or "Dazed and Confused" in the 90's, so its not simply a question of not caring. I'm wondering if there was something specifically about the 1980's (and the way people think about the 80's) that makes it less obvious for younger people.

And yes, its a question about people remembering people remembering things... its inherently unimportant.

Written By: snozberries on 04/02/13 at 11:40 pm

well now you're talking decadeology which is banned here...

But many people my age can easily recognize "Happy Days" in the 70's or "Dazed and Confused" in the 90's, so its not simply a question of not caring. I'm wondering if there was something specifically about the 1980's (and the way people think about the 80's) that makes it less obvious for younger people.

And yes, its a question about people remembering people remembering things... its inherently unimportant.

at least we can all agree about one thing  ::)

Written By: yearofthemonkey on 04/03/13 at 12:22 am

I don't know the extent of the 60's influence on movies and television; certainly there was some.  But the influence on popular music was indisputable.

That's the feeling I got, too, looking it up. It was largely a musical trend. Music revivals are probably less obvious after the fact, than fashion revivals, for instance, where one could just look at old pictures and see the influence.

well now you're talking decadeology which is banned here...

I was trying to start a topic comparing how the Sixties revival in the 1980's, to other twenty year revivals in content, not in vibes or zeitgeists etc. For instance, the Fifties revival in the 1970's was a big deal, it helped inspire the New Right of the 80's and sparked a national dialogue about the legacy of the 1950's, while to my knowledge, the Sixties revivals were rarely that controversial.

Written By: snozberries on 04/03/13 at 12:51 am

Twilight Zone & Alfred Hitchcock Presents were revamped in the 80s
Streets of Fire had heavy 60s influence, as did Grease 2 (which was an 80s sequel to a 70s movie which was set in the 50s).  I would argue that Tuff Turf, which was very 80s was still rife with 60s tone.   
Wonder Years which has already been mentioned was set in the 60s
China Beach and Crime Story were also set in the 60s

This is just a random sampling there are many, many more examples.....

Written By: snozberries on 04/03/13 at 12:52 am

I was trying to start a topic comparing how the Sixties revival in the 1980's, to other twenty year revivals in content, not in vibes or zeitgeists etc. For instance, the Fifties revival in the 1970's was a big deal, it helped inspire the New Right of the 80's and sparked a national dialogue about the legacy of the 1950's, while to my knowledge, the Sixties revivals were rarely that controversial.

that may have been your intention but once you posted this

you sort of derailed your own thread....

Written By: yearofthemonkey on 04/03/13 at 5:49 am

I'm starting to see the problem with this thread. Since I can't actually prove my hypothesis about young people, the discussion automatically starts to fall into decadeological chatter about "this generation" and "that generation"... hmmm... Since I can't pull up a survey or anything, I'll probably have to abort this thread.

But first I'll just say what I think about the causes of my generations ignorance:
1. Most of the most famous 80's movies are family oriented or horror movies (E.T., Ghostbusters, Nightmare on Elm Street)
2. Most currently well-known 80's television is child-oriented, therefore sitcoms and dramas many of which reference  or take place in the 1960's are less well known
3. Lack of a big defining period piece comparable to American Graffitti, Dazed and Confused, or The Wedding Singer
4. Few recognizable large-scale fashion comebacks

I'll stop now.

Written By: snozberries on 04/03/13 at 6:32 am

Twilight Zone & Alfred Hitchcock Presents were revamped in the 80s
Streets of Fire had heavy 60s influence, as did Grease 2 (which was an 80s sequel to a 70s movie which was set in the 50s).  I would argue that Tuff Turf, which was very 80s was still rife with 60s tone.   
Wonder Years which has already been mentioned was set in the 60s
China Beach and Crime Story were also set in the 60s

This is just a random sampling there are many, many more examples.....

How on earth could I forget to mention Eddie and the Cruisers!?!?!?!  http://www.stationwagonforums.com/forums/images/smilies/slap.gif

Written By: Dagwood on 04/03/13 at 7:00 am

How on earth could I forget to mention Eddie and the Cruisers!?!?!?!  http://www.stationwagonforums.com/forums/images/smilies/slap.gif

No kidding.  Awesome movie....and the eyes on Michael Pare.  I think I need to watch that one this weekend.

Written By: warped on 04/03/13 at 7:01 am

Both Happy Days & "Laverne and Shirley" also went into the 60s. 
One of my favorite albums in the 80s was "An innocent man" by Billy Joel, very early 60s influenced (and some late 50s too)
"Stars on 45" were fairly popular in the early 1980s, got famous doing Beatles stuff.

"Little Shop of Horrors" was originally a 60s movie title.

Quite a few "Vietnam" movies in the 1980s (Platoon, Hamburger Hill, Casualties of War, Full Metal Jacket)

Written By: snozberries on 04/03/13 at 7:35 am

No kidding.  Awesome movie....and the eyes on Michael Pare.  I think I need to watch that one this weekend.

I was thinking the same thing!!! I am totally gonna watch it this weekend
and maybe Tuff Turf too...  aw hell....triple feature.... streets fire is getting watched too...

it'll be a James spader sandwich made with Michael Pare bread!  :D

Written By: snozberries on 04/03/13 at 7:46 am

Both Happy Days & "Laverne and Shirley" also went into the 60s. 
One of my favorite albums in the 80s was "An innocent man" by Billy Joel, very early 60s influenced (and some late 50s too)
"Stars on 45" were fairly popular in the early 1980s, got famous doing Beatles stuff.

"Little Shop of Horrors" was originally a 60s movie title.

Quite a few "Vietnam" movies in the 1980s (Platoon, Hamburger Hill, Casualties of War, Full Metal Jacket)

I intentionally left out L&S And HD because they started in the 70s but yeah by the time the 80s hit they were in the 60s....

Billy Joel's The Longest Time is a great doo wop throw back.
Also Kylie Minogue, Soft Cell, Joan Jett, Honey Drippers and Phil Collins covered 60s songs (but since there was no argument about musical influences I chose not to mention these)  ;)

FULL METAL JACKET!!!! one of my favorite films!
the emphasis on VietNam in the 80s is quite compelling... I'm sure there's a topic in there somewhere.  ;)

Leave it to Beaver was on the air from 57-63 so it falls into the 60s category....
They brought back the cast for a revival The New Leave It To Beaver (it lasted 4 seasons!)

and the Brady reunion movies were mostly in the 80s
Brady Girls Get Married  and tv series The Brady Brides was 1981
A Very Brady Christmas was in 88
The hour long drama series The Bradys was in 1990 but that's because the 90s were so angsty and whiny ---- guess the brady's figured it out long before we were aware of it  :D

Written By: Katluver on 04/03/13 at 11:59 am

and the Brady reunion movies were mostly in the 80s
Brady Girls Get Married  and tv series The Brady Brides was 1981
A Very Brady Christmas was in 88
The hour long drama series The Bradys was in 1990 but that's because the 90s were so angsty and whiny ---- guess the brady's figured it out long before we were aware of it  :D

But the Bradys were from the 70s.

It seems like trends get recycled from 2 or 3 decades ago since the 70s (haven't noticed anything in the 60s era that was influenced from the 30s or 40s) so I remember the 80s copying some of the trends from the 50s and 60s.

Shows: Back to the Future, Dead Poets Society, Stand By Me, Alvin and the Chipmunks, Dirty Dancing, Good Morning Vietnam, The Wonder Years, Born On the Fourth of July

Music: Don't Be Cruel (Cheap Trick), Modern Love (David Bowie), The Longest Time (Billy Joel), Locomotion (Kylie Minogue), California Girls (David Lee Roth), Keep Me Hanging On (Kim Wilde), Love Shack (B-52s). Revival of the Beach Boys, and many shows and commercails used music from the 50s and 60s.

Fashion: Converse or canvas shoes, crew cuts, calf-length skirts, ankle socks, ponytails, scarves, bubble pink or frosted lipstick, pastels, surfer pants, the peace sign, neon colors (very psychedelic)

Other: the pogoball ('80s version of pogostick), retro diners, hulahoops

Written By: warped on 04/03/13 at 1:24 pm

But the Bradys were from the 70s.

We remember then from the 70s, but the show began in 1969.

Written By: snozberries on 04/03/13 at 6:17 pm

We remember then from the 70s, but the show began in 1969.

Beat me to it. 

Written By: Howard on 04/03/13 at 7:29 pm

and don't forget his song "Keeping The Faith".

Written By: snozberries on 04/03/13 at 10:21 pm

and don't forget his song "Keeping The Faith".

That's a good one too!

Written By: robby76 on 04/03/13 at 10:27 pm

Shows: Back to the Future, Dead Poets Society, Stand By Me, Alvin and the Chipmunks, Dirty Dancing, Good Morning Vietnam, The Wonder Years, Born On the Fourth of July

Music: Don't Be Cruel (Cheap Trick), Modern Love (David Bowie), The Longest Time (Billy Joel), Locomotion (Kylie Minogue), California Girls (David Lee Roth), Keep Me Hanging On (Kim Wilde), Love Shack (B-52s). Revival of the Beach Boys, and many shows and commercails used music from the 50s and 60s.

Fashion: Converse or canvas shoes, crew cuts, calf-length skirts, ankle socks, ponytails, scarves, bubble pink or frosted lipstick, pastels, surfer pants, the peace sign, neon colors (very psychedelic)

Other: the pogoball ('80s version of pogostick), retro diners, hulahoops

Not forgetting Chubby Checker and The Fat Boys (The Twist), Rags To Riches (tv series), rah-rah skirts, Hawaiian shirts / bermuda shorts. Most movie soundtracks also had at least one or more songs from the 60s... Ferris Bueller (Twist and Shout), Teen Wolf (Surfin USA).

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 04/04/13 at 12:32 am

I was glad to see some of of the sixties nostalgia die out.  The nostalgia THE BIG CHILL personified. 
Weren't we cool in the sixties?  We ended Vietnam with sex, drugs, rock 'n' roll, and being the first humans in history to say "all you need is love."
Got tired of it awful quick.  It was pure self-congratulation.  The baby boomers were full of it.  Now we have the fascist CEO of Whole Foods as the hippie feel-good legacy.
::)

Written By: Foo Bar on 04/04/13 at 1:00 am

Because you have the Internet:  "Everything That Ever Was, Available Forever".  In the 70s/80s, we didn't have three channels, we had thirty at best.  Three hundred channels (modern cable) wasn't even vaporware yet.  Three hundred thousand channels (P2P, YouTube) wasn't even in anyone's imagination.  My parents could tell me who the Lone Ranger and the Cisco Kid were, but I never saw a whole episode of the original 50s TV show until someone upped them to YouTube.  Shown the stars of 50s/60s westerns, I could have guessed that the guy in the mask was probably the Lone Ranger, but I couldn't have picked up the Cisco Kid from the rest of them if you'd paid me.

Written By: Howard on 04/04/13 at 7:15 am

That's a good one too!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ph7oZnBH05s

sure is!

Written By: Howard on 04/04/13 at 7:17 am

I was glad to see some of of the sixties nostalgia die out.  The nostalgia THE BIG CHILL personified. 
Weren't we cool in the sixties?  We ended Vietnam with sex, drugs, rock 'n' roll, and being the first humans in history to say "all you need is love."
Got tired of it awful quick.  It was pure self-congratulation.  The baby boomers were full of it.  Now we have the fascist CEO of Whole Foods as the hippie feel-good legacy.
::)

and also don't forget the "hair generation" when men and women let their hair down for peace.

Written By: Venomous Mask on 04/04/13 at 10:08 pm

The broad cultural landscapes of the 60s and 80s were almost 180 degrees different in their values.  I am not going to go into decadeology, but much of the 60s was under the influence of the Great Society ethos, while the 80s were largely driven by the "greed is good" mentality.  These are of course very broad statements about very complicated, nuanced periods.  But as people largely think of things in terms of stereotypes, I can easily see how many don't draw any cultural connections between the two decades.

Written By: Emman on 04/05/13 at 11:53 pm

The '80s had some '20s, '30s, and '40s influences as well, with the revival of art deco designs(look at the logo for Miami Vice), broad shoulder pads, the Smooth Criminal video, ect. but the '50s/early '60s seemed to have the biggest revival in the '80s, especially with Reagan trying  to evoke a simpler, innocent time in america's past.

Check for new replies or respond here...