inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: Does anyone else hate the 80s?

Written By: Ryan112390 on 04/15/13 at 1:31 pm

I just hate everything the '80s represents--Reagan, Thatcher, all the self indulgent and horribly dated fashions, "cock rock", shoulder pads, gimmicky crap and plasticity in everything. The "We Are the World" decade. Yuck. Such an incredibly fake time in history.

Subject: Re: Does anyone else hate the 80s?

Written By: CatwomanofV on 04/15/13 at 1:35 pm

Personally, the '80s really sucked the Big One for me. I would NEVER want to go back. But, the decade really did have good music.

Cat

Written By: warped on 04/15/13 at 1:36 pm

You hate the 80s almost as much as I hate decadeology.

Written By: c_keenan2001@hotmail.com on 04/15/13 at 1:53 pm

Yeah take your rants about the 80s elsewhere.  Decadeology has no place here.

Written By: Howard on 04/15/13 at 2:36 pm

I love the 80's. In fact National Geographic is having an 80's special this past Sunday for 3 days.

Written By: Dagwood on 04/15/13 at 7:37 pm

I love the 80's.  I was a teenager then and loved it. 

The music was great, too. :)

Written By: amjikloviet on 04/15/13 at 8:26 pm

I just hate everything the '80s represents--Reagan, Thatcher, all the self indulgent and horribly dated fashions, "cock rock", shoulder pads, gimmicky crap and plasticity in everything. The "We Are the World" decade. Yuck. Such an incredibly fake time in history.

Maybe if you would have lived through the '80s you would've felt differently about it.

Written By: whistledog on 04/15/13 at 8:53 pm

I can understand having a hate for something, but hating a whole decade?
Your parents were alive in the 80s.  If the 80s hadn't existed, you wouldn't have existed.  Hating a whole decade is like hating life.  That's not cool :(

Written By: Howard on 04/16/13 at 6:18 am

I love the 80's.  I was a teenager then and loved it. 

The music was great, too. :)

The music was better back then, today's music is just pure garbage.  :P

Written By: Howard on 04/16/13 at 6:20 am

Maybe if you would have lived through the '80s you would've felt differently about it.

I agree, How could he say he hated the decade if he hasn't lived through it?

Written By: moycon on 04/17/13 at 1:43 am

No hate here.....In fact, I LOVE the 80's!! (Well love thinking about the 80's anyways)

Written By: 80sfan on 04/17/13 at 3:13 am

Personally, the '80s really sucked the Big One for me. I would NEVER want to go back. But, the decade really did have good music.

Cat

Your 80s sound like my 00s decade. My life sucked during the decade!

Written By: wsmith4 on 04/17/13 at 9:29 am

Isn't a love for the 80's the very thing that brought most of us to this forum?  What are you doing here?  :D

Written By: c_keenan2001@hotmail.com on 04/17/13 at 11:09 am

Isn't a love for the 80's the very thing that brought most of us to this forum?  What are you doing here?  :D

There's only one word for this thread......  IDIOCY!! :P

Written By: Howard on 04/17/13 at 7:27 pm

I'm here to give my opinions.

Written By: CatwomanofV on 04/17/13 at 7:53 pm

I'm here for the free food.

Cat

Written By: moycon on 04/17/13 at 8:50 pm

I'm here for the girls with big hair.

Written By: c_keenan2001@hotmail.com on 04/17/13 at 9:16 pm

I'm here for the free food.

Cat

Hey Cat pass the pizza please?

Written By: Ryan112390 on 04/18/13 at 4:21 am

It's a generational thing. I was born in '90 so for me my time was the '90s and '00s. And I have a lot of issues with Gen Xers and they seem to idolize the '80s more than any of my generation idolizes the '90s or '00s....I just feel if one had to choose, for me it'd be easy to pick the '90s over the '80s. And I'm just sort of tired of seeing the '80s rehashed over and over again in our pop culture, fashion and music for the last half decade or so. I mean in the mid 00s to today you sort of saw an '80s revival, with new twists on '80s fashions, electro pop coming back to popularity, '80s movies being either remake or with new sequels etc. I suppose I just want a '90s revival, because that was my era.

Written By: Howard on 04/18/13 at 7:25 am

Hey Cat pass the pizza please?

with what kind of toppings?

Written By: Howard on 04/18/13 at 7:26 am

I'm here for the girls with big hair.

I'm here for the California Valley Girls. ;)

Written By: Howard on 04/18/13 at 7:30 am

I don't hate the 80's, The 80's was more of an up and down swing for me.

1980-I had to suffer through the whole year waiting for my hair to grow back from what happened to me a year earlier.
1984-I wound up with braces, been sucking my thumb for 10 years.
1988-wound up with 3rd degree burns on my body after a cold shower on me turned a scalding HOT!

Written By: c_keenan2001@hotmail.com on 04/18/13 at 3:42 pm

Lots of veggies please.

Written By: CatwomanofV on 04/18/13 at 4:07 pm

Everything except those little fishies.

Cat

Written By: warped on 04/18/13 at 6:45 pm

Cat

Fish
heads
Fish
heads
roly poly fish heads

Written By: whistledog on 04/18/13 at 6:46 pm

Fish
heads
Fish
heads
roly poly fish heads

eat them up yum!

Written By: longlivethenewflesh on 04/18/13 at 6:59 pm

I love the 80s but I admit they have an ugliness to them of sorts. And I don't think I would be happy not having the Internet (it existed then, but was very niche and expensive).

Written By: c_keenan2001@hotmail.com on 04/18/13 at 9:32 pm

I don't hate the 80's, The 80's was more of an up and down swing for me.

1980-I had to suffer through the whole year waiting for my hair to grow back from what happened to me a year earlier.
1984-I wound up with braces, been sucking my thumb for 10 years.
1988-wound up with 3rd degree burns on my body after a cold shower on me turned a scalding HOT!

1983 Wound up in the Sick Kids hospital with a closed head injury after falling off of a daycare swing
1983 Had a fireplace harth fall on top with me and ended up in Sick Kids again.
1984 Fell off the monkey bars when and ended up in a cast for three weeks.
1988 Fell off of my brother's bicycle after crashing into a street lamp and ended up with 7 stitches.

Written By: Foo Bar on 04/18/13 at 11:47 pm

Ticking away the moments that make up a dull day,
You fritter and waste the hours in an offhand way.
Kicking around on a piece of ground in your hometown,
Waiting for someone or something to show you the way.

I thought the same about the 60s and 70s.  Look at those silly lyrics up there.  Sure, I thought psychedelic rock/acid rock was for dinosaurs (but secretly enjoyed some of it).  Earth tones and tie-dye T-shirts?  Puh-leeze!  Thought disco was senseless cheeze (but secretly enjoyed seeing it morph into synthpop).  Couldn't stand the hypocrisy of how the hippies for free love and all the drugs they could do had transformed themselves into uptight yuppies who parroted slogans like "just say no"...  The "peace" decade that couldn't tell the difference between detente and appeasement.  Such an incredibly fake time in... aaw, dammit.

Tired of lying in the sunshine staying home to watch the rain.
You are young and life is long and there is time to kill today.
And then one day you find ten years have got behind you.
No one told you when to run, you missed the starting gun.

I disagree with you, but as someone who came of age in the 80s and who now has another 30 years of perspective to look back on, I can totally relate to where you're coming from.  Over the years, I've come to learn that Led Zep was awesome, and so was Donna Summer.  Jimmy Carter was a horrible president, but a pretty nice guy.  (On fashion, I am resolute: Tie-dye and bell bottoms will always look goofy to me.)  The yuppies weren't hypocritical hippies who sold out, they were the the smart hippies who bought in.

Speaking for my own generation, it turns out that Van Halen was awesome (but David Lee Roth was unabashedly cheezy) and so was Depeche Mode.  Reagan and Thatcher hurt millions of people while rebooting their countries' economies and winning the cold war.  (On fashion, I am resolute: ALL PEOPLE MUST GO THROUGH AT LEAST ONE CAN OF HAIRSPRAY PER DAY AND ALL WOMEN MUST WEAR NEON LEGGINGS AT ALL TIMES!, wait, no, I'm sorry, we looked like idiots too!)  The preppies were the spawn of the yuppies, and I was part of the problem.  "We are the world?"  Dude, we own the world, and just look at the mess we're making offun we're having with it!

And you run and you run to catch up with the sun, but it's sinking,
Racing around to come up behind you again.
The sun is the same in a relative way, but you're older,
Shorter of breath and one day closer to death.

k5x9XpwvWkw

Every year is getting shorter, never seem to find the time.
Plans that either come to naught, or half a page of scribbled lines
Hanging on in quiet desperation is the 00s way.
The time is gone, the song is over, thought I'd something more to say,
like how I look forward to the time when the n00bs are raving about the '10s as the only decade that mattered, he's defending his generation as the arbiter of all that was ever cool, and I'm the old fart asking everyone WTF is up with human-vs-genetically-enhanced-turtle marriage.

Written By: Howard on 04/19/13 at 3:14 pm

Cat

anchovies.

Written By: Howard on 04/19/13 at 3:15 pm

1983 Wound up in the Sick Kids hospital with a closed head injury after falling off of a daycare swing
1983 Had a fireplace harth fall on top with me and ended up in Sick Kids again.
1984 Fell off the monkey bars when and ended up in a cast for three weeks.
1988 Fell off of my brother's bicycle after crashing into a street lamp and ended up with 7 stitches.

Wowzers!  :o

Written By: c_keenan2001@hotmail.com on 04/19/13 at 8:15 pm

Wowzers!  :o

Yeah.  It's quite astonishing that I didn't end up with any brain damage from the falls that I took.  ::)

Written By: Foo Bar on 04/19/13 at 10:40 pm

anchovies.

XazaOWrnJ5o
  - J. Geils Band, No Anchovies Please.

Written By: ninny on 04/20/13 at 6:22 am

I for one have grown to appreciate and love several things about the 80's (like meeting my husband, getting married and the birth of my son) There are also things about the 80's I'd like to forget. (the death of my mother and both maternal grandparents)

Written By: CatwomanofV on 04/20/13 at 11:38 am

XazaOWrnJ5o
  - J. Geils Band, No Anchovies Please.

I was going to post this but you beat me to it.

Cat

Written By: c_keenan2001@hotmail.com on 04/20/13 at 12:26 pm

I for one have grown to appreciate and love several things about the 80's (like meeting my husband, getting married and the birth of my son) There are also things about the 80's I'd like to forget. (the death of my mother and both maternal grandparents)

I think that the 80s was such a great time to be a kid!

Written By: warped on 04/20/13 at 2:54 pm

The 80s were my University years, and when I started working full time after graduation. Lots of fun and weird stuff happened to me during the 80s. They were an exciting time. I have learned to like 80s music much more now than when I went through it. I think many 80s films were wonderful too.

Written By: Howard on 04/20/13 at 2:55 pm

Yeah.  It's quite astonishing that I didn't end up with any brain damage from the falls that I took.  ::)

You took more damage than I did during the 80's.

Written By: Howard on 04/20/13 at 2:56 pm

I think that the 80s was such a great time to be a kid!

I agree.

Written By: meesa on 04/20/13 at 4:09 pm

Loved the 80s-or I should say my perspective of the 80s. I can see why someone would get tired of the nostalgia of it, especially if they were not around to see it first hand, but what I don't understand is why someone who hates it would frequent what is a mostly nostalgia forum?

Written By: c_keenan2001@hotmail.com on 04/22/13 at 5:02 pm

You took more damage than I did during the 80's.

I did.  And believe me I survived being a child with all of the falls that I took.  :)

Both of the blows to the head that I took put me in the emergency room at Sick Kids.  I couldn't have imagined being in a better place than to be at Sick Kids because the doctors and nurses there treated me so well.  :)
The house we were living in at the time had all kinds of things wrong.  Things not attached to the wall, a 35 amp fuse being in a 25 amp circuit, and causing an electrical fire that set fire to my cousin's matress.  Oye vey! It's amazing how much and how many things I survived in my short life. ::)
When I fell off of the day care swing I had to stay overnight for observation.  I had Shreddies for breakfast the next morning, which at the time was something that my mother would have never let me have, before they kicked me out of the hosptial.
I was so happy to be home.  I think I sat on the floor in the middle of the hall and lay on my back with my arms and legs spread out and I had this big dopey grin on my face. My head was still a bit sore after I started lying down on my back.  :)  I think my brother, in his own unique way, was happy that I was home too.  :)

Written By: bryan adams on 04/23/13 at 3:39 am

I just feel if one had to choose, for me it'd be easy to pick the '90s over the '80s. And I'm just sort of tired of seeing the '80s rehashed over and over again in our pop culture, fashion and music for the last half decade or so. I mean in the mid 00s to today you sort of saw an '80s revival, with new twists on '80s fashions, electro pop coming back to popularity, '80s movies being either remake or with new sequels etc. I suppose I just want a '90s revival, because that was my era.

Well I was born in 1988 so we're about the same age and I think 90's music sucked compared to music from the 80's. Compare Bryan Adams' cool 80's offerings to his soppy 90's ballads for example. I agree that hair metal and Stock Aitken Waterman killed the 80's but 1980-1985 were great years in pop music. Sompare cool Bananarama to sheeshty Spicegirls. 1981-1986 Bananarama make all 90's groups look like created in lab tubes. I didn't experience the 80's, but I like the music that was made back then.

And btw, the only good things about the 90's imo were the economy and TV. But 90's music save for a few songs was attrocious. Thank God that in 2001-2002 the 90's were out and boybands were disbanded and Britney and Christina switched to a better sound and image. 2001-2004 were great years in music. A 90's revival should be avoided at any cost, let's go back to an early 2000's revival instead!

Written By: Howard on 04/23/13 at 6:18 am

I did.  And believe me I survived being a child with all of the falls that I took.

and yet, we're still here.  ;)

Written By: c_keenan2001@hotmail.com on 04/23/13 at 3:52 pm

and yet, we're still here.  ;)

Exactly.  :) I lived for the 80s just like the 80s lived for me.  :)

Written By: Howard on 04/23/13 at 7:40 pm

Exactly.  :) I lived for the 80s just like the 80s lived for me.  :)

same here.

Written By: mach!ne_he@d on 04/30/13 at 2:20 pm

I disagree with you, but as someone who came of age in the 80s and who now has another 30 years of perspective to look back on, I can totally relate to where you're coming from.  Over the years, I've come to learn that Led Zep was awesome, and so was Donna Summer.  Jimmy Carter was a horrible president, but a pretty nice guy.  (On fashion, I am resolute: Tie-dye and bell bottoms will always look goofy to me.)  The yuppies weren't hypocritical hippies who sold out, they were the the smart hippies who bought in.

Speaking for my own generation, it turns out that Van Halen was awesome (but David Lee Roth was unabashedly cheezy) and so was Depeche Mode.  Reagan and Thatcher hurt millions of people while rebooting their countries' economies and winning the cold war.  (On fashion, I am resolute: ALL PEOPLE MUST GO THROUGH AT LEAST ONE CAN OF HAIRSPRAY PER DAY AND ALL WOMEN MUST WEAR NEON LEGGINGS AT ALL TIMES!, wait, no, I'm sorry, we looked like idiots too!)  The preppies were the spawn of the yuppies, and I was part of the problem.  "We are the world?"  Dude, we own the world, and just look at the mess we're making offun we're having with it!

Great points all around, and I think they raise another one.

Truthfully, what modern era decade doesn't have it's cultural shortcomings? Sure, the '70s had disco, and the '80s had hairbands, but the '90s had a million warbling, garbling alt-rock knockoffs pretending to be as miserable as Kurt Cobain (as well as it's own secretly forgotten version of "cock rock" in Nu Metal), while the '00s had everything from glam rap posers to third wave teen pop no talents manufactured by the Disney Channel.

Now, having said all that, do I have an absurd amount of nostalgia for my junior high years in the late 90's? Of course I do. Do terrible songs by flash-in-the-pan acts like Sugar Ray and Smashmouth still fill me with a certain childish mirth deep inside? Without a doubt. Honestly, I think part of the reason why I like nostalgia so much is because it causes me to drop my cynical, adult attitudes about what makes for quality music, movies, television, or fashion, and just remember the things (both good and bad in hindsight) that gave me joy when I was growing up.

Written By: Mushroom on 04/30/13 at 5:26 pm

It's a generational thing. I was born in '90 so for me my time was the '90s and '00s. And I have a lot of issues with Gen Xers and they seem to idolize the '80s more than any of my generation idolizes the '90s or '00s....I just feel if one had to choose, for me it'd be easy to pick the '90s over the '80s. And I'm just sort of tired of seeing the '80s rehashed over and over again in our pop culture, fashion and music for the last half decade or so. I mean in the mid 00s to today you sort of saw an '80s revival, with new twists on '80s fashions, electro pop coming back to popularity, '80s movies being either remake or with new sequels etc. I suppose I just want a '90s revival, because that was my era.

Actually, this is a long and constant thing.  It is certainly not unique to the 1980's-2000's.  By and large, most "retro" seems to dip back about 20 years more or less.

In the 1970's, we had a ton of "50's retro" going on, everything from American Graffiti  and Happy Days to Grease and The Buddy Holly Story.  And in the 1980's we had some 1960's flashbacks, in hair styles and clothing (and even The Beach Boys had some hit records again).

In the 1990's we had a touch of 1960's flashback, bell bottoms came back for a bit, and "That 70's Show" always felt more late 1960's-early 1970's to me then it did the mid 1970's.

But I also admit, the music was much better then.  One thing we had that is missing now is variety.  In 1983, the top pop songs were by Michael Jackson, Rita Coolidge, Moody Blues, Wham, Hall & Oates, Frank Stallone, Prince, Kenny Rodgers and Dolly Parton.

Tell me a decade since then when Top 40 pop was so varied.  Heck, even my dad listened to Top 40 back then.  While I am at his age now, and have not listened to "Pop music" in over a decade.  And when was the last time a country song was heard on top 40 music stations?

Written By: 80sfan on 04/30/13 at 7:58 pm

Music was 2000XX better in the 80s than it is now! And by that I mean mainstream music.

Mainstream music will be good again one day, but just not now and may be generic for a long time.

Written By: c_keenan2001@hotmail.com on 05/01/13 at 10:04 am

I was born in the late 1970s so I had a chance to experience a lot of what the 1980s had to offer!

Written By: warped on 05/01/13 at 10:15 am

I was born in the late 1970s so I had a chance to experience a lot of what the 1980s had to offer!

For me the 80s represented the last good decade I've experienced. Good TV, good music, good films. Economy was good.

Written By: c_keenan2001@hotmail.com on 05/01/13 at 1:32 pm

Fish
heads
Fish
heads
roly poly fish heads

In the morning
laughy daffy fish heads

In the evening
floating in the soup
Fish
heads
Fish
Heads
Rolly polly
Fish
heads
Fish
heads
eat them up
Yum!

Ask a fish head anything you want to
they can't answer they can't talk.  :)

Written By: Howard on 05/01/13 at 3:06 pm

For me the 80s represented the last good decade I've experienced. Good TV, good music, good films. Economy was good.

Yep, I agree with you.

Written By: Step-chan on 05/01/13 at 5:11 pm

I know I don't hate the 80s. There are a lot of things I miss from back then when I was growing up.

I remember getting things like packs of Strawberry Starbursts, Hostess Vanilla pudding pies(they were chocolate covered) and weird gimmicky Kool Aid Flavors(Remember Sharkleberry Fin and Purplesaurus Rex?).

I also tend to have a higher level of fondness for cartoons from that decade. 80s song tend to make me feel a little nostalgic too(although for non music reasons. I tend to prefer the 90s music wise, but lack the nostalgia for it due to my strong dislike of high school).

I'll take a lot of 80s movies over the ones they're making nowadays.

Written By: Howard on 05/02/13 at 7:05 am

I'll take a lot of 80s movies over the ones they're making nowadays.

I agree.

Written By: Step-chan on 05/03/13 at 12:29 pm

I've been trying to find One Crazy Summer. ^

Written By: Howard on 05/03/13 at 7:43 pm

What about any other movies? ???

Written By: AL-B Mk. III on 05/05/13 at 11:18 pm

I was born in 1990, so just at the beginning of the '90s, but I totally missed the '80s. My siblings were born in '72, '73 and '80 respectively so they all experienced those decades. I look back at family photos and TV shows and movies from the '80s and it just seems like it was a great time and I kinda wish I was born earlier so I could've taken part in it.

Anyone feel the same way?

http://i149.photobucket.com/albums/s78/AL-B_photos/frabz-yeah-if-you-could-just-have-a-little-bit-more-consistency-in-you-90dca5_zpsd381fcca.jpg

Written By: 80sfan on 05/06/13 at 12:09 am

Ha ha, I don't think most people 'hate' a decade. The key word here is 'most.

For example I know my mother hated and still hates the 80s because of what our family went through in that decade. It was a cruel and grueling decade for her!

But I think most people might not like a decade. Like how someone might not like the 80s because of the hair!  :D

Written By: c_keenan2001@hotmail.com on 05/06/13 at 6:37 am

For example I know my mother hated and still hates the 80s because of what our family went through in that decade. It was a cruel and grueling decade for her!

But I think most people might not like a decade. Like how someone might not like the 80s because of the hair!  :D

My family and I went through a lot in the 80's as well.

Written By: Howard on 05/06/13 at 6:40 am

I don't hate a decade, It's just some things that came out of that decade.

Written By: Step-chan on 05/06/13 at 12:41 pm

What about any other movies? ???

That's mainly one of the ones I've really been wanting to find(along side the Police Academy movies), I have some others(mostly on VHS).

Written By: 80sfan on 05/06/13 at 1:13 pm

My family and I went through a lot in the 80's as well.

Oh.  :o

Written By: c_keenan2001@hotmail.com on 05/07/13 at 11:55 pm

Oh.  :o

I went through some pretty rough stuff, stuff that I don't wish to discuss in an opened forum like this, but it got me and my brother shipped off to our maternal grandparent's house for a month and me being 6 at the time scared to death that my mother would leave and she wouldn't come back for us.  :\'(

Check for new replies or respond here...