inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: Oppressive old homes during the 1980s!

Written By: The Valley Goth on 04/18/13 at 1:00 am

Like, Hi, Fer Shurr,

I once looked at some pre-prom/ Homecoming photos from the mid-late 1980s, and I was personally struck by the stark contrast between the drably-hued, dreary-looking 1960s/1970s homes and the cheerfully-hued dresses of the teens who were about to go out dancing, and I began wondering...

Did the teen girls of the mid-late 1980s ever feel that their older-style homes were oppressive, stuffy, etc., or that such homes were cramping their style, dating them, forcing them to not fit in with their friends, depressing them?

I'm asking the question, because when I felt such strong feelings of oppression while I was looking at the photos, I got the idea to write a story about a late 1980s girl who feels SO oppressed by her dated house, family, etc., that she goes completely and irrevokably insane, deciding to outdo everybody else's mile high hair, setting fires that she won't claim responsibility for, etc.  Of course, that would ONLY be a story.  I don't know anybody who's like that...

I'm not saying that 1970s faux wood wall paneling ever made a teen girl go insane, or anything like that, but I'm curious to know if the leftover influences of the 1970s ever oppressed any 1980s teens in any way.
8)

Subject: Re: Oppressive old homes during the 1980s!

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 04/20/13 at 7:42 pm

The repression problem starting in the eighties was no longer with the stern father but the "dysfunctional family."  The difference is you can get over a stern father.  The oppression in my generation is from crummy values handed to us by daytime TV in the absence of better mentors!

Thanks, Dad!
:D

Check for new replies or respond here...