inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: Stereo systems from the 80's

Written By: wsmith4 on 04/29/13 at 5:59 am

Remember when home audio looked like this??  ;D

http://file.vintageadbrowser.com/b3h0grn0fj19a2.jpg

Now...

http://images.macworld.com/images/legacy/images/content/2004/11/sounddock.jpg

Things have certainly gotten more... compact.

Subject: Re: Stereo systems from the 80's

Written By: robby76 on 04/29/13 at 6:31 am

http://24.media.tumblr.com/757af955be165478aac4ca42cb659d8a/tumblr_mk2etgkRif1qeablwo1_500.jpg

Written By: Howard on 04/29/13 at 6:39 am

http://24.media.tumblr.com/757af955be165478aac4ca42cb659d8a/tumblr_mk2etgkRif1qeablwo1_500.jpg

headphones are definitely much bigger now as compared to 20 years ago.

Written By: Howard on 04/29/13 at 6:40 am

I remember when I used to own a Victrola, those were the good old days.

Written By: warped on 04/29/13 at 6:58 am

I had a Lloyds stereo I bought wholesale ( a friend worked there) in 1982. Can't find a picture of it on the net. Stereo & dual cassette deck. Very modern and Hi tech at the time.

Technology has come a long way. You had 10 to 12 songs on each side of a cassette. Now When I burn CD's I can put 200_ mp3 songs on it, and have thousands of songs on a ipad, and 10s of thousands of songs on my computer hard drive. Amazing.

Written By: Tashlovglit on 04/29/13 at 8:51 pm

I use earbuds.  To me they're more comfortable...  8)

Written By: Howard on 04/30/13 at 6:30 am

I remember the scratching the record made when you put the needle on the record.

Written By: yelimsexa on 04/30/13 at 8:43 am

That's more of a lower-end '70s stereo system in the first picture (no cassette deck or eight track player!) Wood was also much less common by the '80s in terms of styling, with black/silver systems dominating. That said, with so many in attics/basements, they can be purchased for at a dirt cheap price when found, even the high-end models at a sizeable discount compared to their original price. My father had a silvery radio with a separate cassette unit with two black speakers, with a Technics vinyl turntable that was later replaced by a black, boxy CD player. He also received a portable boombox in 1986. All of these still exist in the basement.

Written By: warped on 04/30/13 at 9:24 am

I remember the scratching the record made when you put the needle on the record.

I will not buy this record, it is scratched.

Written By: wsmith4 on 04/30/13 at 1:12 pm

That's more of a lower-end '70s stereo system in the first picture (no cassette deck or eight track player!) Wood was also much less common by the '80s in terms of styling, with black/silver systems dominating. That said, with so many in attics/basements, they can be purchased for at a dirt cheap price when found, even the high-end models at a sizeable discount compared to their original price. My father had a silvery radio with a separate cassette unit with two black speakers, with a Technics vinyl turntable that was later replaced by a black, boxy CD player. He also received a portable boombox in 1986. All of these still exist in the basement.

Oh?  ???

Written By: karen on 04/30/13 at 4:36 pm

I still have a black and silver set up of turntable, amp, cassette deck and CD player.  The amp was replaced in the late nineties and has just started to go abit dodgy (or maybe the speakers are starting to fail).  Not sure if the repair place is still open in town

Written By: mitch1987 on 05/04/13 at 9:05 am

Actually this would be an 80s Sanyo..most likely 83-85.  And a lot of the older stereos are starting to get expensive.  If you can find certain models they can go into the $1000s on ebay.  Its getting harder and harder to find anyone who knows how to repair one as most of the old repair shops are long gone. I can still remember taking my first VCR to a repair shop because it wasn't cheap to buy a new one then so people took them in to get fixed. This was back when you could only afford one TV, one stereo, one VCR and when you bought it it lasted for years if not a decade. Life before it all became disposable.

Written By: Stinkyy on 05/04/13 at 2:48 pm

Remember when home audio looked like this??  ;D

http://file.vintageadbrowser.com/b3h0grn0fj19a2.jpg

http://4.bp.blogspot.com/_-3MG6htEz9A/SWl3aRCj7oI/AAAAAAAAAO0/jskdJdMQ22A/s400/its-beautiful.jpg

Written By: sonikuu on 05/04/13 at 5:19 pm

Nobody used earbuds in the 90s.  I didn't see any of that stuff until the ipod became popular.

Written By: Howard on 05/04/13 at 7:21 pm

Its getting harder and harder to find anyone who knows how to repair one as most of the old repair shops are long gone

And I think a lot of them are becoming obsolete.

Written By: mitch1987 on 05/04/13 at 9:06 pm

And I think a lot of them are becoming obsolete.

Yeah nobody even thinks of getting anything repaired now..its just chuck it out and buy a new one. of course its easier to do now with everything being cheaper..at least as far as electronics go. When you paid $1000 for a VCR in 1979 ( about $3100 in 2013 value) you paid to get it fixed..Now you buy a dvd player for $30 and if it breaks a month later you go buy a new one lol.

Written By: Howard on 05/05/13 at 4:40 pm

Yeah nobody even thinks of getting anything repaired now..its just chuck it out and buy a new one. of course its easier to do now with everything being cheaper..at least as far as electronics go. When you paid $1000 for a VCR in 1979 ( about $3100 in 2013 value) you paid to get it fixed..Now you buy a dvd player for $30 and if it breaks a month later you go buy a new one lol.

the thing is now, people just want to pay to buy a new item instead of paying for it to have it fixed.

Check for new replies or respond here...