inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: The Rolling Stones - Strictly 80s

Written By: whistledog on 05/12/13 at 11:34 am

ALBUM:  1980 - Emotional Rescue
1980 - Emotional Rescue
1980 - She's So Cold

ALBUM:  1981 - Tattoo You
1981 - Start Me Up
1981 - Waiting on A Friend
1982 - Hang Fire

ALBUM:  1982 - Still Life (American Concert 1981)
1982 - Going to A Go-Go
1982 - Time is On My Side

ALBUM:  1983 - Undercover
1983 - Undercover of the Night
1983 - She Was Hot

ALBUM:  1984 - Rewind (1971-1984)
1984 - Brown Sugar (re-release)

ALBUM:  1986 - Dirty Work
1986 - Harlem Shuffle
1986 - One Hit (to the Body)

ALBUM:  1989 - Steel Wheels
1989 - Mixed Emotions
1989 - Rock and A Hard Place

* Rock and A Hard Place peaked in the UK chart in December of 1989

Subject: Re: The Rolling Stones - Strictly 80s

Written By: warped on 05/12/13 at 3:37 pm

Nice poll.

I voted for "Start me up". I think "Tattoo you" was the Stones last great album, because the one before that "Emotional Rescue" wasn't great.

My 2nd favorite song would be "Waiting on a friend", my 3rd is off the list "Little T & A" (also from Tattoo you")

I had a chance to see them in 1979 (Concert for the blind) in Oshawa, my friend lined up for tickets, but it was sold out. I also wanted to see them in 1981 (after "Tattoo you" was released)  but I don't think they came to Toronto. They did go to Buffalo, but at the time it was too far to go for me (but I had friends that went).

Finally saw them on their "Steel Wheels" tour in 1989.

Written By: Howard on 05/12/13 at 5:30 pm

Emotional Rescue
Start Me Up
Harlem Shuffle

Written By: zcrito on 05/12/13 at 8:09 pm

"Mixed Emotions", "Start Me Up" or "Emotional Rescue" ?

I went with "Mixed Emotions", and second place would have been "Emotional Rescue".

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 05/15/13 at 9:21 pm

I might be the only one to pick "Undercover of the Night."  I think it was a terribly underrated song and belongs about there with RS greats!

Written By: Foo Bar on 05/15/13 at 11:41 pm

I might be the only one to pick "Undercover of the Night."  I think it was a terribly underrated song and belongs about there with RS greats!

I went with "Start Me Up", but this was a very close second. Undercover of the Night is both catchy and then, when you realize it's actually about Central/South American politics, the Dirty War in Argentina, the disappeared, etc... you still don't stop wanting to dance to it because it's just so damn catchy. Cuddlerank it up baby, keep it all outa sight.  (In fact, having dug around for the answer to Center 42 and having failed, I'd change my answer if it were possible to do so.)

So, just where the hell was Center 42, because all I'm getting is Rolling Stones lyrics (I haven't read the W S B novel mentioned in the interview) and one suggestion that it was just something Jagger made up so that it would rhyme.  Was "Center 42" it a reference to something real, something in the novel, or just made to rhyme with "blues" and "two"?

At least one person has been looking for an answer for at least 7 years, and the suggestions that it has to do with Arnold Wesker or 42nd Street, NYC don't make any sense considering this collection of comments from the Stones themselves about the track's political intent.

Fellow 00zers, I put it to you, we have a mystery here:  The Stones won't be alive forever and are on tour in 2013.  The song is 30 years old.  Can anyone answer, or even ask, the right people?  Did Center 42 exist, or was it just a fictional device like "Room 101" was in Orwell's 1984?

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 05/17/13 at 12:21 pm

I went with "Start Me Up", but this was a very close second. Undercover of the Night is both catchy and then, when you realize it's actually about Central/South American politics, the Dirty War in Argentina, the disappeared, etc... you still don't stop wanting to dance to it because it's just so damn catchy. Cuddlerank it up baby, keep it all outa sight.  (In fact, having dug around for the answer to Center 42 and having failed, I'd change my answer if it were possible to do so.)

So, just where the hell was Center 42, because all I'm getting is Rolling Stones lyrics (I haven't read the W S B novel mentioned in the interview) and one suggestion that it was just something Jagger made up so that it would rhyme.  Was "Center 42" it a reference to something real, something in the novel, or just made to rhyme with "blues" and "two"?

At least one person has been looking for an answer for at least 7 years, and the suggestions that it has to do with Arnold Wesker or 42nd Street, NYC don't make any sense considering this collection of comments from the Stones themselves about the track's political intent.

Fellow 00zers, I put it to you, we have a mystery here:  The Stones won't be alive forever and are on tour in 2013.  The song is 30 years old.  Can anyone answer, or even ask, the right people?  Did Center 42 exist, or was it just a fictional device like "Room 101" was in Orwell's 1984?

I think it's something RS made up.  I read "Cities of the Red Night" a long time ago and it was like somewhere between a bad meth trip and getting hit by a city bus.  I don't remember a Center 42 in COTRN, but I don't remember if there was a green splotch in the corner of that Pollock painting either. 

My guess is "Center 42" was a good rhyme and had a militarized zone ring to it.  Anyway, 42 is the answer, but what's the question?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_HXZpCTN3rg

Another favorite RS single from the '80s is "Hang Fire," even though the lyrics have kind of Tory attitude about loafers on the dole. 
To "hang fire" means to procrastinate.  Like say you got finished cleaning the garage and you're supposed to mow the lawn, but you kick back with a few beers instead.  So you're hanging fire.  The term might come from gun terminology, in which "hang fire" refers to an unexpected delay between the triggering of a firearm and the ignition of the propellant. (Wikipedia)

It's also short and sweet, under three minutes.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3xbtlW16Gts

Mick stole Barney's pants.

Check for new replies or respond here...