inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: Uncharted in North America: Dollar

Written By: whistledog on 06/03/13 at 8:50 pm

Dollar was the British duo of David Van Day and Thereza Bazar.  Popular group in Europe, but unknowns in North America.  They did chart one single in the US though.

http://ichef.bbci.co.uk/music/images/artists/542x305/2c31fd03-5e41-4da3-853e-b661ed4e6788.jpg

Both had previously been in the 70s pop group Guys 'n' Dolls, notching a few popular hits throughout Europe before deciding to leave the group to form Dollar. 

TRIVIA:  Thereza Bazar is a Canadian-born Brit.  This qualifies her for Canadian Content, but Dollar never qualified because at the time, CANCON rules stated that the main members of a group must all be Canadian.  I often wonder if they would have had success in Canada if the rules were then what they are now.  We will never know!

DOLLAR
1978 - Shooting Star
1979 - Who Were You With in the Moonlight
1979 - Love's Gotta Hold on Me
1979 - I Wanna Hold Your Hand
1980 - Taking a Chance on You
1981 - Hand Held in Black and White
1981 - Mirror Mirror (Mon Amour)
1982 - Ring Ring
1982 - Give Me Back My Heart
1982 - Videotheque
1982 - Give Me Some Kinda Magic
1986 - We Walked in Love
1987 - Oh L'Amour
1988 - It's Nature's Way

DAVID VAN DAY
1983 - Young Americans Talking

THEREZA BAZAR
1985 - The Big Kiss

Their biggest hit was Mirror Mirror (Mon Amour) which I also think was their best ...
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fqkI2VBiLgg

Oh, and if you are wondering, I Wanna Hold Your Hand is indeed a Beatles cover.  I purchased a Dollar greatest hits CD from Amazon, and this is sadly absent.  I was quite disappointed.  I like this version ...
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eO4cw534XjY

Subject: Re: Uncharted in North America: Dollar

Written By: Paul on 06/04/13 at 4:29 am

Although unfairly placed in the 'weenybop' camp, their quartet of efforts produced by Trevor Horn ('Hand Held In Black And White', 'Mirror Mirror', 'Give Me Back My Heart' and 'Videotheque') are literal masterpieces in production...

So much so, that as a direct consequence, artists were queueing up to have their product given the once over with Trevor's magic, making him one of the celebrated producers of his age...

Everything else of Dollar's is weak tea by comparison...

Written By: Henk on 06/04/13 at 5:33 am

Dollar was the British duo of David Van Day and Thereza Bazar.  Popular group in Europe, but unknowns in North America.  They did chart one single in the US though.

Well, not everywhere in Europe...They had zero success over here.

Instead we (still) had Guys 'n' Dolls, and subsequently Dollar's counterpart Grant & Forsyth, to rock the charts... Dominic Grant even had some solo success.

Written By: whistledog on 06/04/13 at 5:03 pm

Although unfairly placed in the 'weenybop' camp, their quartet of efforts produced by Trevor Horn ('Hand Held In Black And White', 'Mirror Mirror', 'Give Me Back My Heart' and 'Videotheque') are literal masterpieces in production...

So much so, that as a direct consequence, artists were queueing up to have their product given the once over with Trevor's magic, making him one of the celebrated producers of his age...

Everything else of Dollar's is weak tea by comparison...

It's a shame the many produced works of Trevor Horn didn't emulate in North America.  I do believe the biggest of Horn's productions seen over here was Frankie Goes to Hollywood's Welcome to the Pleasuredome LP and the ABC album The Lexicon of Love

Well, not everywhere in Europe...They had zero success over here.

Instead we (still) had Guys 'n' Dolls, and subsequently Dollar's counterpart Grant & Forsyth, to rock the charts... Dominic Grant even had some solo success.

Wow!  That's cool about Grant & Forsyth.  Makes you wonder what Grant & Forsyth had that Dollar did not

Written By: warped on 06/04/13 at 6:40 pm

I didn't think I knew this band but just listened to "Shooting Star" on youtube and I recognize the song.

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 06/06/13 at 7:04 pm

I liked their cover of Oh L'Amour, one of my favorite Erasure songs!
:)

Check for new replies or respond here...