inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: Uncharted Outside of Canada: Platinum Blonde

Written By: whistledog on 07/26/13 at 7:17 pm

Platinum Blonde was/are a new wave band from Canada, who during their heyday, were considered the Duran Duran of Canada (I always thought it was silly when they were branded that).  The title of this topic is a bit misleading as they did chart in the US, but nothing that would have been remembered by the average radio listener.

http://www.cbc.ca/gfx/images/arts/photos/2009/12/17/PlatinumBlonde_cmw.jpg
Left to Right:  Chris Steffler (Drums), Kenny MacLean (Bass), Mark Holmes (Voice), Sergio Galli (Guitar)

The group originally began as a trio.  Kenny MacLean joined in 1985 and in 1987, Chris Steffler was replaced by Sascha Tukatsch.  In 1990, the band changed their name to The Blondes before parting ways.  Holmes and Galli have since reformed under the original Platinum Blonde name with new members and released a new album in 2012

Kenny MacLean sadly passed away in 2008

Platinum Blonde - The Albums
1983 - Platinum Blonde EP
1983 - Standing in the Dark
1985 - Alien Shores
1987 - Contact
1990 - Yeah, Yeah, Yeah
1999 - Seven Year Itch 1982-1999
2012 - Now and Never

Platinum Blonde - The Hit Singles
1984 - Doesn't Really Matter
1984 - Standing in the Dark
1984 - Sad Sad Rain
1985 - Not in Love
1985 - Crying Over You
1985 - Situation Critical
1986 - Somebody Somewhere
1986 - Hungry Eyes
1987 - Contact
1988 - Connect Me
1988 - Fire
1988 - If You Go This Time
1990 - Yeah Yeah Yeah <as The Blondes>

Kenny MacLean - The Albums
1990 - Don't Look Back
1995 - Clear
2008 - Completely

Kenny MacLean - The Hit Singles
1990 - Don't Look Back
1990 - Rescue Me
1990 - Don't You Know It

Doesn't Really Matter | Crying Over You
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I4SOnBDe7qs http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KCfEAzeLP-w

Kenny MacLean - Don't Look Back
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cdBHcCoxHTY

Subject: Re: Uncharted Outside of Canada: Platinum Blonde

Written By: warped on 07/26/13 at 7:22 pm

I like these guys. I have said this before on another thread, I saw them in concert in 1982 or 1983 when they were a Police cover band and they were great. I went on stage to meet a couple of the guys after the concert (I sat by the stage) They were friendly and had all that hair ...very cool.

I saw many bar bands in between 1980-84 and I remembered these guys. When they released their first album I got it and it was pretty good.
My fave is "It doesn't really matter"

Written By: whistledog on 07/26/13 at 7:26 pm

My fave is "It doesn't really matter"

That is the one that I hear most on the radio these days which is odd because it was the least successful of their Top 40 entries.  Back in the day though, when Crying Over You came out, that one dominated for years

Written By: c_keenan2001@hotmail.com on 07/26/13 at 7:39 pm

Platinum Blonde was inducted into the Canadian Music and Broadcast Industry Hall Of Fame in 2010 as part of Canadian Music Week.  And that was when they decided that they should get back together.  I wish I had footage of Mark's acceptance speech or that there was Mark's entire speech posted on You Tube.  But there isn't.  :(

I also thought that the Canadian Duran Duran reference was a bit ridiculous.  Yes both bands are fronted by a Brit and both bands wear nice clothes, have nice hair, and wear make up and that's all that they have in common.

OlV-TSdVnbE

Kenny MacLean and Chris Steffler at the Sleep is for Whimps Much Music 10th Aniversary Party.  They joke about Mark not being there because of some variety of "accident" in which his hair went up.  ;D

Written By: Howard on 07/27/13 at 3:32 pm

never heard of this group before but their music is great.

Written By: c_keenan2001@hotmail.com on 07/27/13 at 3:57 pm

Most people outside of Canada have never heard of Platinum Blonde.  They weren't nearly as popular in the US as they were in Canada.  The Canadian girls used to flip out over them.  They toned down their glam rock image because it was becoming evident to them that the girls were only into them because they were attractive looking.  ;D Which really isn't a bad thing mind you but still it must have been annoying to them to see a sea of people who looked just like them.  :)

Written By: warped on 07/27/13 at 4:00 pm

That is the one that I hear most on the radio these days which is odd because it was the least successful of their Top 40 entries. 

Back in '83 to '85, it's the one I heard most too. A little surprised it didn't chart higher.

I also thought that the Canadian Duran Duran reference was a bit ridiculous.  Yes both bands are fronted by a Brit and both bands wear nice clothes, have nice hair, and wear make up and that's all that they have in common.

I'd not heard of the Duran Duran reference before. It never occurred to me. I was not a Duran Duran fan but over the years I appreciate their music more. Their (Duran Duran) music sounds a whole lot better than what's on the top 40 today.

Has anyone seen Platinum Blonde in concert since 1984? I'm interested if they still covered some "Police" songs in concert, after they got famous.

Written By: warped on 07/27/13 at 4:03 pm

Most people outside of Canada have never heard of Platinum Blonde.  They weren't nearly as popular in the US as they were in Canada.  The Canadian girls used to flip out over them.  They toned down their glam rock image because it was becoming evident to them that the girls were only into them because they were attractive looking.  ;D Which really isn't a bad thing mind you but still it must have been annoying to them to see a sea of people who looked just like them.  :)

I'm sure Jason could come up with a lenghty list of 80s Canadian bands, popular in Canada and uncharted in the USA.  Too bad, some good music there. My guess is Luba, Honeymoon Suite, Parachute club, The Box, One to One, Saga, The spoons (and others) didn't do much down south.

Written By: c_keenan2001@hotmail.com on 07/27/13 at 4:26 pm

Back in '83 to '85, it's the one I heard most too. A little surprised it didn't chart higher.

I'd not heard of the Duran Duran reference before. It never occurred to me. I was not a Duran Duran fan but over the years I appreciate their music more. Their (Duran Duran) music sounds a whole lot better than what's on the top 40 today.

Has anyone seen Platinum Blonde in concert since 1984? I'm interested if they still covered some "Police" songs in concert, after they got famous.

Oh me too. 

I think the DD reference was because they looked, sounded, and wore nice clothes, had spiky hair, and wore make up like Duran Duran.  Oh and both bands are fronted by a brit.  Mark Holmes, who was born in Mansfield, and Simon Le Bon, who was born in Bushey, and that's about all that these two bands have in common. 
I think this was about the two bands competling with one another for glory and fans but I think that both bands are about even in terms of musical glory and fans.  :)

Written By: whistledog on 07/27/13 at 4:27 pm

I'm sure Jason could come up with a lenghty list of 80s Canadian bands, popular in Canada and uncharted in the USA.  Too bad, some good music there. My guess is Luba, Honeymoon Suite, Parachute club, The Box, One to One, Saga, The spoons (and others) didn't do much down south.

More "Uncharted" threads to come ...

Written By: c_keenan2001@hotmail.com on 07/27/13 at 10:21 pm

I was watching an interview that Mark Holmes did with Now Magazine.  And he said that Doesn't Really Matter was an unintentional political statement.  He wrote it after the IRA set off a bomb somewhere in Ireland.  I have a feeling that this is the entire reason why Mark's family fled to Canada because they couldn't live in England because it was too dangerous.

Written By: c_keenan2001@hotmail.com on 07/28/13 at 8:12 pm

http://365-kw.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/02/Screen-Shot-2012-02-28-at-9.50.50-PM.png http://karenbooth.net/wp-content/uploads/2011/09/Duran-Duran-1983-2.jpg

See? The hair, the make up, the clothes, and being fronted by a brit are all these two bands have in common.  The music and everything else I don't see the connection?

Written By: whistledog on 07/28/13 at 8:37 pm

It was pretty much just the "screaming teenage girls" connection why they were compared to Duran Duran.

UK had Duran Duran
Canada had Platinum Blonde
America had Bon Jovi

I've heard Duran Duran referenced as the Beatles of the 80s.  It's all about the screaming fans

Written By: c_keenan2001@hotmail.com on 07/28/13 at 8:53 pm

It was pretty much just the "screaming teenage girls" connection why they were compared to Duran Duran.

UK had Duran Duran
America had Bon Jovi

I've heard Duran Duran referenced as the Beatles of the 80s.  It's all about the screaming fans

Oh right right.  I had forgotten about the scores and scores of teenaged girls who thought that they were sex on a stick and dressed like them.  ;D

Written By: whistledog on 07/28/13 at 9:28 pm

Oh right right.  I had forgotten about the scores and scores of teenaged girls who thought that they were sex on a stick and dressed like them.  ;D

Circa 1985/1986, almost every teenage girl in Canada screamed for Platinum Blonde.  Whenever I'd see them on Much Music, it looked similar to that of back in the 60s when The Beatles first arrived at the Airport in America

Written By: whistledog on 07/28/13 at 9:43 pm

Platinum Blonde have the honour of being one of only 5 Canadian acts to have a #1 hit in Canada during the 1980s ...

1982 | New World Man - Rush
1985 | Tears Are Not Enough - Northern Lights
1985 | Never Surrender - Corey Hart
1985 | Crying Over You - Platinum Blonde
1986 | Everything in My Heart - Corey Hart
1986 | Don't Forget Me (When I'm Gone) - Glass Tiger
1987 | Can't Help Falling in Love - Corey Hart

Mark Holmes appears as one of the vocalists on Northern Lights along with Geddy Lee (of Rush) and Corey Hart

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VJN3u1wAWIk

Written By: c_keenan2001@hotmail.com on 07/28/13 at 9:58 pm

NwW8b4F4Q1c OlsFwrPS_x4

The original lineup of Platinum Blonde reunited for the first time in over 20 years in 2010 to perform at Mark's Mod Club Theatre in Toronto as part of Canadian Music Week 2010 Concert and they were inducted into the Canadian Music and Brodcast Industry Hall of Fame.
This is a far cry from when they first started out.  Platinum Blonde was probably one of the music industry's most hated bands back then and were often referred to as "spoiled brats" but they were far from it.

Written By: c_keenan2001@hotmail.com on 07/28/13 at 11:14 pm

Circa 1985/1986, almost every teenage girl in Canada screamed for Platinum Blonde.  Whenever I'd see them on Much Music, it looked similar to that of back in the 60s when The Beatles first arrived at the Airport in America

I wouldn't have known anything about Much Music before 1987 because we only got certain channels at that time.  Much Music, A&E, and TSN were all speciality channels at that time.  So I had all of these music video shows: Video Hits, Good Rockin Tonite, Solid Gold, Friday Night Videos, American Bandstand, Toronto Rocks with John Mahjor.
I can imagine why they would be so annoyed at the Duran Duran comparisons though? One band is new wave and glam rock and the other is new wave and new romantic music.

Written By: warped on 07/29/13 at 5:50 am

Platinum Blonde have the honour of being one of only 5 Canadian acts to have a #1 hit in Canada during the 1980s ...

1982 | New World Man - Rush
1985 | Tears Are Not Enough - Northern Lights
1985 | Never Surrender - Corey Hart
1985 | Crying Over You - Platinum Blonde
1986 | Everything in My Heart - Corey Hart
1986 | Don't Forget Me (When I'm Gone) - Glass Tiger
1987 | Can't Help Falling in Love - Corey Hart

Mark Holmes appears as one of the vocalists on Northern Lights along with Geddy Lee (of Rush) and Corey Hart

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VJN3u1wAWIk

3 songs by Corey Hart & no Bryan Adams in there?  :o    I am surprised.

Written By: Howard on 07/29/13 at 6:54 am

UK had Duran Duran
America had Bon Jovi

At least Duran Duran didn't go out and put on costumes like The Beatles did.

Written By: c_keenan2001@hotmail.com on 07/29/13 at 8:08 am

:(

Neither did Platinum Blonde.  All they did was bleach their hair blonde, wear nice clothes, and Mark Holmes wore more makeup than my mother did!  ;) ;D

Written By: warped on 07/29/13 at 9:17 am

I don't understand what your point is here, Howard. Maybe you can explain?

Written By: Howard on 07/29/13 at 1:40 pm

I don't understand what your point is here, Howard. Maybe you can explain?

The Beatles were popular during the Magical Mystery Tour era were they dressed up in costumes but Duran Duran were popular for them wearing makeup.

Written By: warped on 07/29/13 at 1:51 pm

The Beatles were popular during the Magical Mystery Tour era were they dressed up in costumes but Duran Duran were popular for them wearing makeup.

Yup, they wore those costumes for that film. 

http://i2.squidoocdn.com/resize/squidoo_images/590/draft_lens17581579module147867519photo_1297452056I-am-the-walrus-1.jpg

Written By: Howard on 07/29/13 at 1:58 pm

Yup, they wore those costumes for that film. 

http://i2.squidoocdn.com/resize/squidoo_images/590/draft_lens17581579module147867519photo_1297452056I-am-the-walrus-1.jpg

I was just saying that you would've never seen Duran Duran wear those types of costumes.

Written By: warped on 07/29/13 at 1:59 pm

I was just saying that you would've never seen Duran Duran wear those types of costumes.

You make it sound that it was a "bad thing" that the Beatles did. That's how I interpret your posts.  Is it bad to wear costumes for a film?  ???

Written By: whistledog on 07/29/13 at 8:03 pm

3 songs by Corey Hart & no Bryan Adams in there?  :o    I am surprised.

Bryan Adams never had a #1 hit in Canada until the vastly overplayed Everything I Do (I Do it For You) in 1991.  He did co-write Tears Are Not Enough, so you could technically count that.  His role in that song was great!

Written By: c_keenan2001@hotmail.com on 07/29/13 at 11:03 pm

Bryan Adams never had a #1 hit in Canada until the vastly overplayed Everything I Do (I Do it For You) in 1991.  He did co-write Tears Are Not Enough, so you could technically count that.  His role in that song was great!

Oh exactly.  He, Corey Hart, and Mark Holmes were the break out stars of that music video.

I wish I could find Mark's interview from the Tears Are Not Enough documentary.  But so far no luck in finding it.  I only found Corey Hart and Geddy Lee from Rush.  :(

Written By: Howard on 07/30/13 at 6:32 am

You make it sound that it was a "bad thing" that the Beatles did. That's how I interpret your posts.  Is it bad to wear costumes for a film?  ???

No, not at all. I'm sorry.
Let's move on, I'm going off topic.

Written By: c_keenan2001@hotmail.com on 07/30/13 at 2:13 pm

No, not at all. I'm sorry.
Let's move on, I'm going off topic.

Indeed! Let's get back on topic.  :)

Written By: c_keenan2001@hotmail.com on 07/30/13 at 5:16 pm

9HKC-6v8OoE

Platinum Blonde at the opening of the Calgary Stampeed in 2011.  :)

Written By: warped on 07/31/13 at 5:04 am

And this is them back in 1984, in concert.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cnvLtK5JLvs

Written By: c_keenan2001@hotmail.com on 07/31/13 at 7:21 am

And this is them back in 1984, in concert.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cnvLtK5JLvs

Yes I've seen that before.  How long was this before Kenny MacLean joined the band?

Written By: c_keenan2001@hotmail.com on 07/31/13 at 8:32 am

l5o9Pa_XqPs

Here's Mark and Kenny in sometime in the 1980s, 1985 with Crying Over You,  from Good Rockin Tonite.  You can see the commradery between Mark and Kenny that lasted well after the band put the finger on the pause button.

zwG0ppapcGY

And here's the band playing at the old MLG in 1985 after Chris enticed Kenny into joining Platinum Blonde.  "KENNY MACLEAN ON BASS GUITAR!"

Written By: warped on 07/31/13 at 1:35 pm

Yes I've seen that before.  How long was this before Kenny MacLean joined the band?

I'd tell ya if I knew, but I don't know.

Written By: c_keenan2001@hotmail.com on 07/31/13 at 3:18 pm

http://blog.beatgoeson.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/06/platinumblonde.jpg http://www.vinylvendors.com/Pictures/p/l/platinumblonde373801.jpg http://www.coverdude.com/covers/platinum-blonde-contact-1987-front-cover-45665.jpg

Standing In The Dark 1983, Alien Shores 1985, and Contact 1987.  Are all albums that are out of print that I would like to see rereleased on vinyl, although it may not even happen because Mark would rather not rely on nostalgia and take people's money, but still it would be nice to have the albums that are out of print.  :(

Written By: c_keenan2001@hotmail.com on 08/02/13 at 12:11 am

1YbSVneZrps

This is Kenny MacLean with Dennis Martel and the High Rollers singing It Doesn't Really Matter.  This footage was shot just days before Kenny died.  :(  I see this everytime and I can see a pattern of male bonding that Kenny and Mark Holmes shared.  The two of them were really starting to reconnect.  :( After Kenny died Mark was heart broken.  Mark just had an emotional breakdown when he and Chris and Sergio accepted their induction into the Canadian Music and Brodcast Industry Hall of Fame.

"This is all very hard to talk about.  We miss him so much.  We've decided because of Kenny that we would get back together.  He always wanted us to get back together.  It was great to play again last night and we wish that Kenny was there.  Fame is fleeting, hit records come and go, thank you for making what we did perminant."

If not for Kenny's friend Rob Laidlaw pushing Mark to get back to the studio the new project would have never happened.  "I've booked some time in the recording studio NO MORE EXCUSES!"  Wow! It sounds like Rob won't take any crap from anybody.  Not even Mark.  ;D

Written By: whistledog on 08/02/13 at 6:48 pm

http://blog.beatgoeson.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/06/platinumblonde.jpg http://www.vinylvendors.com/Pictures/p/l/platinumblonde373801.jpg http://www.coverdude.com/covers/platinum-blonde-contact-1987-front-cover-45665.jpg

Standing In The Dark 1983, Alien Shores 1985, and Contact 1987.  Are all albums that are out of print that I would like to see rereleased on vinyl, although it may not even happen because Mark would rather not rely on nostalgia and take people's money, but still it would be nice to have the albums that are out of print.  :(

I have all three of these on Vinyl and Cassette.  I used to have Contact on CD, but I don't know what I did with it

Written By: c_keenan2001@hotmail.com on 08/03/13 at 1:17 am

I have all three of these on Vinyl and Cassette.  I used to have Contact on CD, but I don't know what I did with it

I think their music is due for an aniversary rerelease That's assuming that Mark wants to do that.  I would love to have everything they did on vinyl simply because the first time around I didn't know who they were and I wasn't old enough to really care.  ;D

Written By: c_keenan2001@hotmail.com on 08/03/13 at 11:02 pm

RsoXZ9SKXAo

Mark explains why it's so humbling to get letters from people who say that Platinum Blonde's music makes them "feel better!"  :)

Written By: c_keenan2001@hotmail.com on 08/06/13 at 12:45 am

4hQnzuFdBVk

This is Dan Todd who's a fill in for Chris Steffler.  :)  I wonder if he would enter into a drum off with Chris? Even though i don't think that would happen at the present moment.  ;D

Written By: c_keenan2001@hotmail.com on 08/07/13 at 1:20 am

VMg2keerNHo

Here's their lone US hit Somebody Somewhere.  :) This song is amazing and one of my most favourites of all of PB's earlier works before Contact in 1987.  ;D

Written By: c_keenan2001@hotmail.com on 08/09/13 at 1:45 am

6iteyXPaJgM

Mark and Sergio singing my favourite tune Somebody Somewhere.  ;D

Written By: whistledog on 08/10/13 at 5:15 pm

I was just watching the 1988 movie 'The Accused' starring Jodie Foster.  There is a scene where she is in a record store, and what do I see on the shelf?  Standing in the Dark by Platinum Blonde.  This movie was filmed in Canada :D

Seeing that album in that scene made me want to listen to it, so I pulled out my vinyl and was listening to a song on it that I always thought should have been a single ...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m9KhmnVJJOY

Written By: c_keenan2001@hotmail.com on 08/13/13 at 5:16 pm

JRO7_kxd41U

I can't believe Kenny is gone now.  :\'( This was filmed several days before he died.  :\'(

"No alcohol, no drugs, NOTHING....how did we do it?"?

LMFAO! :)

Chris Steffler said that Kenny had put his party days behind him.  He hadn't drank or abused drugs in years.  :\'(  So what the hell happened that put all of that stress on his heart?

Written By: Howard on 08/13/13 at 7:07 pm

I can't believe Kenny is gone now.  :'( This was filmed several days before he died.

When did he pass away?  ???

Written By: c_keenan2001@hotmail.com on 08/13/13 at 8:16 pm

When did he pass away?  ???

He passed away right after his CD listening party on November 21, 2008.  But nobody found him until 3 days later on the 24th when he failed to answer his phone to confirm that he was ready to reunite with the band.  Kenny's sister found him that Monday collapsed and unresponsive in his home bathroom with the tap running and clutching a toothbrush in his hand.  Everyone in the media, bunch of money hungry leaches,  had speculated that he had died of a drug overdose but everyone who knew Kenny said that he had put his party days behind him and that he hadn't touched any alcohol or drugs for years. He was happy that his life was going well and that the band was getting back together again.  The way that Kenny collapsed suggested that he died of a massive heart attack which doesn't surprise me in the least because of all of crap that he was doing back in the day coupled with the fact that it didn't look like he was taking great care of himself.
Chris Steffler said that he was dressed in sweat pants and a t-shirt and it wasn't like he had any coccaine on his face or any needles sticking out of anyplace or anything that would suggest a drug overdose or a suicide attempt.  The whole band was shocked by Kenny's death.  Mark Holmes the band's lead singer took it the hardest because he and Kenny were so close to each other.  Who knew that an brit and a scotsman could be so close to one another and be like brothers?
It was 2 years later that the band decided that because of Kenny that they would get back together but the new project Now And Never probably would have never happened if the new bass player Rob Laidlaw hadn't pushed Mark back into the studio.  Mark was running out of excuses to not move forward.
"I've booked some time in the recording studio NO MORE EXCUSES!!"  I think that was just the kick in the ass that Mark needed to move forward with the new band.  :)

Written By: c_keenan2001@hotmail.com on 08/17/13 at 12:25 am

b3wZ30TTPNM

Mark Holmes talks about how Platinum Blonde doesn't let fashion dictate how their music is performed.

Written By: c_keenan2001@hotmail.com on 08/20/13 at 11:38 pm

I'm so happy! Mark Holmes himself said that there's going to be an aniversary rerelease of Standing In The Dark on vinyl and CD next year.  :D

Written By: c_keenan2001@hotmail.com on 08/22/13 at 9:37 pm

iUorJHcMMzE

Some very early Platinum Blonde from 1982.  Mark looks like he could be either a drag queen or he could be bisexual.  I don't know which? ;D

Written By: Tam on 08/29/13 at 4:53 pm

I saw them in '86. Their opening act was The Spoons. Loved them and their Romantic Traffic! ;)

As for Platinum Blonde... they performed all of their songs and yes warped, they even did a couple of Beatles songs! They performed Revolution and Hey Jude. I don't remember it off of the top of my head though lol. I have their 45 of Somebody Somewhere and apparently I wrote down their set list and kept the info inside the record sleeve. ;)

My absolute favourite song of theirs though was Not In Love. <3

Written By: c_keenan2001@hotmail.com on 08/29/13 at 9:46 pm

I saw them in '86. Their opening act was The Spoons. Loved them and their Romantic Traffic! ;)

As for Platinum Blonde... they performed all of their songs and yes warped, they even did a couple of Beatles songs! They performed Revolution and Hey Jude. I don't remember it off of the top of my head though lol. I have their 45 of Somebody Somewhere and apparently I wrote down their set list and kept the info inside the record sleeve. ;)

Somebody Somewhere was my favourite from Alien Shores.  I think Kenny MacLean was just what they needed to add something to their music.  Rob Laidlaw, the transfer from Honeymoon Suite,  is good but PB just isn't the same without Kenny.
Kenny just added something to the music with his bass playing style.  It was something that was different than Mark and Rob's style.

Written By: warped on 08/30/13 at 3:39 pm

Nice!  Some Beatles songs too. I can't remember if they did any when I saw them. But cool you remembered that.

Written By: c_keenan2001@hotmail.com on 08/31/13 at 12:28 am

J8kfK8NzWhY

A little bit of an ear worm/eye candy double whammy for us girls.  ;D

Written By: c_keenan2001@hotmail.com on 09/02/13 at 1:05 am

http://i4.ytimg.com/li/GtfWMWUoYxk/hqdefault.jpg http://www.musicbymailcanada.com/PlatinumBlonde/mark_sm.JPG http://goodlifemississauga.com/112-gl-2012/platinum_03.jpg
Mark Holmes in 1983, 1985, and 2012.  :)

Written By: Howard on 09/02/13 at 6:44 am

http://i4.ytimg.com/li/GtfWMWUoYxk/hqdefault.jpg http://www.musicbymailcanada.com/PlatinumBlonde/mark_sm.JPG http://goodlifemississauga.com/112-gl-2012/platinum_03.jpg
Mark Holmes in 1983, 1985, and 2012.  :)

His hair looks disheveled.

Written By: c_keenan2001@hotmail.com on 09/02/13 at 3:10 pm

His hair looks disheveled.

Yeah.  I think he just wanted to shed the "pretty boy party boy" image that the band had back in the day.  The last picture looks like he just rolled out of bed.  Now he's in much better shape than he was 30 years ago.  His son is the exact same way as he was at 21.  Justin loves to flirt with the female customers at his dad's nightclub the Mod Club Theatre in Toronto and buy them drinks. 

https://fbcdn-sphotos-a-a.akamaihd.net/hphotos-ak-prn2/954890_613768471991284_1826815193_n.jpg

Written By: c_keenan2001@hotmail.com on 09/02/13 at 11:40 pm

EH5THoi_nlQ

Written By: c_keenan2001@hotmail.com on 09/05/13 at 4:21 pm

http://www.cbc.ca/archives/categories/arts-entertainment/music/banding-together-singing-out-for-disaster-relief/recording-tears-are-not-enough.html

Tears Are Not Enough Recording Sessions 1984

Written By: whistledog on 09/05/13 at 5:13 pm

The Now & Never CD doesn't have the Can-Con logo so I'm guessing the whole album was recorded elsewhere.

Not all Canadian albums have it.  It's up to the record companies if they choose to include the logo. 

Initially, all an artist had to do was meet 2 of the 4 MAPL criterion to meet CANCON qualifications.  These rules were changed in 1991 to accommodate the Bryan Adams album Waking Up the Neighbours.  At the time, the rules stated that the music and/or lyrics must be written entirely by a Canadian to get the M and/or L.  Since all of the songs on it were co-written and produced by British producer Mutt Lange in England, that disqualified him for MPL, therefore being a Canadian Artist was not enough, which is wrong, therefore got changed.

Now, as long as the artist is Canadian, they qualify for CANCON regardless

Written By: c_keenan2001@hotmail.com on 09/06/13 at 1:13 am

Not all Canadian albums have it.  It's up to the record companies if they choose to include the logo. 

Initially, all an artist had to do was meet 2 of the 4 MAPL criterion to meet CANCON qualifications.  These rules were changed in 1991 to accommodate the Bryan Adams album Waking Up the Neighbours.  At the time, the rules stated that the music and/or lyrics must be written entirely by a Canadian to get the M and/or L.  Since all of the songs on it were co-written and produced by British producer Mutt Lange in England, that disqualified him for MPL, therefore being a Canadian Artist was not enough, which is wrong, therefore got changed.

Now, as long as the artist is Canadian, they qualify for CANCON regardless

Yeah.  Mark Holmes was born in Mansfield in England and Kenny MacLean was born in Glasgow in Scotland  so under the old rules that would have disqualified Platinum Blonde from being declared to be Canadian artists even though Chris Steffler and Sergio Galli are Canadians?
Boy this is confusing? ::)

Written By: whistledog on 09/06/13 at 7:53 am

Yeah.  Mark Holmes was born in Mansfield in England and Kenny MacLean was born in Glasgow in Scotland  so under the old rules that would have disqualified Platinum Blonde from being declared to be Canadian artists even though Chris Steffler and Sergio Galli are Canadians?
Boy this is confusing? ::)

As long as the band was formed in Canada, they will meet CANCON as an artist.

Written By: c_keenan2001@hotmail.com on 09/06/13 at 7:56 pm

As long as the band was formed in Canada, they will meet CANCON as an artist.

Okay.  :)

Written By: c_keenan2001@hotmail.com on 09/28/13 at 11:29 am

:) I've grown to love some artists on our own shores.  I think that people don't realize the kind of musical talent that our country has to offer.  :) It kind of pisses me off when people equate Justin Beiber and drake to Canada because that just not the way that most people see things. I went back to bands like Mark Holmes and his boys who are talented singers, song writers, and musicians who work hard for everything that they've earned.
I just can't understand how Justin and Drake could even be considered to be the mecha of Canandian talent when there's so much more that our country has to offer.

Celeste's Rant of the Day.  :)

Written By: c_keenan2001@hotmail.com on 12/18/13 at 1:53 am

BpkDE1zWJ8A

I finally found a whole video of the T and T the TV series in which Mark Holmes was a guest star

Adam Dalton: This is all sounding very exciting Mr Turner.  Shall we take the limosine?
T.S. Turner: No brother! I think we'd better dress down for this one.

Check for new replies or respond here...