inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: Charted Outside of Canada: David Foster

Written By: whistledog on 08/04/13 at 6:42 pm

As a Producer and Songwriter, Vancouver born David Foster is world famous!  He originally got his start in the 70s as the keyboardist for the band Skylark.  Their song Wildflower made them one hit wonders in the US.  As a solo artist, he is primarily known for the Love Theme to the 1985 film St. Elmo's Fire.  This was not his only hit outside of Canada, but it was the only one that saw the US Top 40. 

http://imgcache.qq.com/music/photo/album/13/albumpic_4213_0.jpg

THE SKYLARK HIT SINGLES
1972 - What Would I Do (Without You)
1973 - Wildflower
1973 - I'll Have to Go Away

THE DAVID FOSTER HIT SINGLES
1985 - Love Theme From St. Elmo's Fire
1986 - The Best of Me (featuring Olivia Newton-John)
1986 - Anything For Love (with Gordon Lightfoot) *
1986 - Who's Gonna Love You Tonight
1988 - Winter Games
1988 - And When She Danced (with Marilyn Martin)
1991 - River of Love

* Anything For Love is not credited as involvement by David Foster, other than in the linear notes.  Given the style of music that was popular at the time, Lightfoot asked for Foster's assistance on the song.  Foster co-wrote it, produced it, played all the keyboards and synths on it, and it became Lightfoot's last ever Top 40 hit in Canada.  Many highly regard the song as credited to Gordon Lightfoot and David Foster

WILDFLOWER / THE BEST OF ME
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c9bJJNUdXEs http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9ALu9dUEUmM

ANYTHING FOR LOVE
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l12JxT-JUWE

Subject: Re: Charted Outside of Canada: David Foster

Written By: c_keenan2001@hotmail.com on 08/04/13 at 9:01 pm

fsWGfQC3jMs

David was also involved in the Northern Lights for Africa charity single.  :)

Written By: whistledog on 08/04/13 at 10:18 pm

David was also involved the Northern Lights for Africa.  :)

Only as songwriter and producer.  I always thought he was one of the featured performers on it, and was surprised to learn he was not

Written By: c_keenan2001@hotmail.com on 08/04/13 at 10:36 pm

Only as songwriter and producer.  I always thought he was one of the featured performers on it, and was surprised to learn he was not

No he wasn't.  That's the most disappointing thing about it that the guy who wrote the song didn't sing one note on it. 

Written By: whistledog on 08/05/13 at 10:26 pm

No he wasn't.  That's the most disappointing thing about it that the guy who wrote the song didn't sing one note on it. 

As heard in 'The Best of Me', he really has a fantastic voice.  He would have sounded great among the rest

Written By: warped on 08/06/13 at 7:31 am

His "Love Theme From St. Elmo's Fire" is one of the best instrumentals of the 1980s. Great song.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f7qcOxhZ8Dw

I am surprised again at "Who's Gonna Love You Tonight" only reaching #75. As someone who listened to hours and hours of AM radio back then, it was heard often.  #75? really? I would have thought top 20 or top 30 for sure.

Written By: whistledog on 08/06/13 at 8:09 am

I am surprised again at "Who's Gonna Love You Tonight" only reaching #75. As someone who listened to hours and hours of AM radio back then, it was heard often.  #75? really? I would have thought top 20 or top 30 for sure.

I know right.  It's quite odd how the chart system worked/works in Canada.  Songs you heard on the radio that you assumed were big chart hits, actually were not.  If you think that is surprising, you ain't seen nothing yet.  Stay tuned for the next charted outside of Canada ...

Written By: warped on 08/06/13 at 1:46 pm

I know right.  It's quite odd how the chart system worked/works in Canada.  Songs you heard on the radio that you assumed were big chart hits, actually were not.  If you think that is surprising, you ain't seen nothing yet.  Stay tuned for the next charted outside of Canada ...

I'm sure. It's probably because of the CanCon thing that arrived in the very early 70s where DJs had to play a certain percentage of Canadian songs (since very few CDN songs got radio airtime before that). So even if I often heard "Who's Gonna Love You Tonight" or a bunch of Paul Janz songs in the 80s, or several others, doesn't mean they charted high, they were just played. But honestly most of those Canadian songs that charted poorly (like "Who's Gonna Love You Tonight") deserved a better fate.

Check for new replies or respond here...