inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: One Hit Wonder: F-R David

Written By: whistledog on 08/18/13 at 7:26 pm

And now for a break from my uncharted/charted series.  Here is the first edition of my One Hit Wonder series of artists who are branded one hit wonders, but either had smaller hits, or hits in other countries, thus nullifying them as a one hit wonder, or maybe they were in actuality a one hit wonder.
NOTE:  This topic is not for posting other artists who are one hit wonders. It is specifically for the artist in the topic title

F-R David is a singer from France. 

http://1.bp.blogspot.com/_0vVfSey1Ki0/TD0bD8c-ClI/AAAAAAAABDM/tAbRq3h4y2I/s320/fr_david_words.jpg

Born Elli Robert Fitoussi in 1947, he struggled as a singer, appearing as a backup singer for Vangelis among other projects in the 70s before going solo in the early 80s.  In 1982, he recorded a synth pop song called Words and in 1983, it just missed the top spot in the UK chart.  It would go on to become the 22nd best selling single in the UK for 1983, and also made a minor dent in the US chart.  It was not his only chart single, but it is commonly the only one remembered

The Hit Singles
1983 - Words
1983 - Music

WORDS / MUSIC
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PTsSk0r_Tq8 http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qkfpbRxw2Q8

Subject: Re: One Hit Wonder: F-R David

Written By: warped on 08/20/13 at 10:05 am

I heard this song years ago and forgot about it, discovered it once more thanks to youtube. Such a nice song. Words don't come easy when I want to express the shock I felt, why it never charted well in Canada.  :D

My wife used this song when she taught line dancing.

Written By: whistledog on 08/20/13 at 6:30 pm

I heard this song years ago and forgot about it, discovered it once more thanks to youtube. Such a nice song. Words don't come easy when I want to express the shock I felt, why it never charted well in Canada.  :D

From November 1980 - July 1984, the Canadian charts went from a 100 Singles to a 50 singles chart.  I can only assume that if it was a Top 100 chart, Words would be in there somewhere.  It is such a soothing song.  I love it

Written By: Philip Eno on 05/12/14 at 12:47 pm

The last I heard of F.R. David he was working as a hairdresser in West London.

Written By: Paul on 05/19/14 at 2:39 pm

There was a very close (and rather unlikely) battle between two competing versions of this song when released in the UK. In one corner was the lad himself, but in the other corner (and the red-hot favourites, due to their past hit-making pedigree) was The Tremeloes! Attempting to make a chartbound comeback after over a hitless decade.

The battle raged for a few weeks outside the chart - both versions received pretty good promotion - but in the end, the original was victorious.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hWPwb3a2YXY

And that's Chesney ('One And Only') Hawkes' dad Len on vocals...

Written By: whistledog on 05/27/14 at 4:05 pm

There was a very close (and rather unlikely) battle between two competing versions of this song when released in the UK. In one corner was the lad himself, but in the other corner (and the red-hot favourites, due to their past hit-making pedigree) was The Tremeloes! Attempting to make a chartbound comeback after over a hitless decade.

The battle raged for a few weeks outside the chart - both versions received pretty good promotion - but in the end, the original was victorious.

And that's Chesney ('One And Only') Hawkes' dad Len on vocals...

I had no idea this version existed, let alone Chesney's dad was a singer.  It's not a bad version at all, but I still prefer F-R David

Written By: warped on 05/27/14 at 10:53 pm

I had no idea this version existed, let alone Chesney's dad was a singer.  It's not a bad version at all, but I still prefer F-R David

I still don't understand ... Or can't believe that song did nothing on the North American charts. It's a lovely song .

Check for new replies or respond here...