inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: 1980: The Year in Music

Written By: whistledog on 09/18/13 at 8:46 pm

Thought I'd open this one with a band that recently reformed and have new material out. 

Already a known name in Europe, it was 1979 that Bob Geldof and his and Boomtown Rats released their 6th single I Don't Like Mondays and that same year, it hit #1 in the UK chart.  It went on to become their first hit in North America when it entered the Canadian Chart in November of 1979, rising to an eventual peak of #4, the first week of January 1980.  The song had a delayed reaction in America, finally entering the US Hot 100 in January of 1980, rising to a peak of #73, and making them one hit wonders in the US

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8yteMugRAc0

It was a good song, but for me, their finest moment in 1980 was the single Someone's Looking At You.  It peaked at UK #4 and also gave them a 2nd hit in Canada where it peaked at #86.  Not a big hit, but over here, that does not mean anything. 

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O9OEFnZHC2g

--------------------------------------------------------------

1980 was also the year that 70s Canadian hard rock band Prism released what I still think was their best single ever.  It was called Young and Restless and was taken from their 4th album Young and Restless.  With a peak of #14 in Canada, it became the highest charting single in their career.  Prism had a few hits in the US.  Sadly this was not one of them, but should have been!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IHU0pHnO0PE

Subject: Re: 1980: The Year in Music

Written By: Howard on 09/19/13 at 6:20 am

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QFyq-v-hf1U

George Benson-Give Me The Night

Written By: warped on 09/19/13 at 7:22 am

My favorite year for music in the 1980s, coz lots of music still sounded like the late 70s and so many of my 70s favorite bands/artists produced albums in 1980 (or had albums on the charts in 1980).  ;)

Songs from "The Long Run" (Eagles) and Led Zeppelin's "In through the out door"  were still on the charts, "The Wall" (Pink Floyd), "Duke" (Genesis) were very popular that year. John Lennon's "Double Fantasy" was released, so was Bob Seger's "Against the wind", Billy Joel's "Glass Houses", Queen's "The Game", Linda Ronstadt's "Mad Love",  The Police's "Zenyatta Mondatta", Pat Benatar's "Crimes of passion", AC/DCs "Back in black"

All these albums (which I owned) were really, really good.

It was also a sad year, because 1980 was the year that truly were...the last good albums by The Eagles, Led Zeppelin, (John Bonhan passed away that year) Pink Floyd, Queen, Genesis, and of course, John Lennon. No one could forget Dec 8th 1980. Still by far the "celebrity death" that has affected me the most in my life. Nothing even comes close to that...for my generation at least. He was the leader of the Beatles. It ended up that maybe Paul had more talent, but John was the guy they looked up to.

Written By: SpaceHog on 09/19/13 at 8:25 am

Yacht Rock was popular. You had artists like Mistress,Christopher Cross, Larsen-Feiten Band and others.

Written By: Dagwood on 09/19/13 at 9:59 am

Yacht Rock was popular. You had artists like Mistress,Christopher Cross, Larsen-Feiten Band and others.

I have never heard of Yacht Rock.  Is it like soft rock?  Christopher Cross is the only one of those you listed that I have heard of so I am truly clueless.

Written By: yelimsexa on 09/19/13 at 10:11 am

I have never heard of Yacht Rock.  Is it like soft rock?  Christopher Cross is the only one of those you listed that I have heard of so I am truly clueless.

"Yacht Rock" is basically soft rock on steroids that its really more easy listening than having real rock techniques. Billy Joel, Elton John, Bob Seger, John Cougar Mellencamp, Hall & Oates, Linda Ronstadt, and Steve Miller are more "standard soft rock" with gentle but motivating beats. But Christopher Cross, Dan Fogelberg, Barry Manilow, Gino Vannelli and the like basically combine true soft rock with influences by adult standards/MOR/easy listening artists such as Sinatra/Como/Andy Williams. This was also the age of "yacht country": Kenny Rogers, Eddie Rabbitt, Dolly Parton, etc. That said, 1980 had a lot of good music that didn't go far on the charts. I have many promotional singles from that year in my record collection,  many of which were R&B music which was transitioning from disco to electrofunk.

Written By: warped on 09/19/13 at 11:18 am

You aren't alone Dag, same for me, never heard of the term, and I don't care for it because the first thing that comes to mind when I hear the term "Yacht Rock", is music for snobby rich people who are saddened when one of their 6 cars is not a BMW or Porsche, or if their caviar delivery is 1 day late. lol

Written By: c_keenan2001@hotmail.com on 09/19/13 at 11:54 am

W8h5OEivJdA

Video Killed The Radio Star by the Buggles came out on my 3rd birthday.  But was a massive hit in the 1980s and was one of the first videos to be aired on MTV on its launch in 1981.  :)

Written By: karen on 09/19/13 at 3:28 pm

Thought I'd open this one with a band that recently reformed and have new material out. 

Already a known name in Europe, it was 1979 that Bob Geldof and his and Boomtown Rats released their 6th single I Don't Like Mondays and that same year, it hit #1 in the UK chart.  It went on to become their first hit in North America when it entered the Canadian Chart in November of 1979, rising to an eventual peak of #4, the first week of January 1980.  The song had a delayed reaction in America, finally entering the US Hot 100 in January of 1980, rising to a peak of #73, and making them one hit wonders in the US

wasn't its released banned/delayed because of the court case?

Written By: whistledog on 09/19/13 at 3:59 pm

wasn't its released banned/delayed because of the court case?

I do believe so yes.  That woman who didn't like Mondays was still in the news

I too have never heard the term Yacht Rock, but when you said that, it made me think of a song from 1980 that I still very much enjoy alot ...

Nielsen and Pearson - If You Should Sail
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=90iFTpoojOo

This one was a Top 40 hit in the US.  though it never charted here in Canada, it was a radio favourite and even appeared on a K-Tel Hits compilation called High Voltage

Written By: nally on 09/19/13 at 5:18 pm

Ah...the year I was born. There are a number of songs I enjoy from the year 1980; which ones should I start with? How about...

"Fame" - Irene Cara
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WwGKD5hjNaw

"I Got You" - Split Enz
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sb-2gFO1uUc

More to come later.

Written By: Howard on 09/19/13 at 7:12 pm

You aren't alone Dag, same for me, never heard of the term, and I don't care for it because the first thing that comes to mind when I hear the term "Yacht Rock", is music for snobby rich people who are saddened when one of their 6 cars is not a BMW or Porsche, or if their caviar delivery is 1 day late. lol

So would that be a good or bad thing?  ;D

Written By: Howard on 09/19/13 at 7:15 pm

Video Killed The Radio Star by the Buggles came out on my 3rd birthday.  But was a massive hit in the 1980s and was one of the first videos to be aired on MTV on its launch in 1981.  :)

I love this song.  :)

Written By: Howard on 09/19/13 at 7:20 pm

Sugarhill Gang 8th Wonder

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_rwpBYQn3S8

rap was starting to appeal to kids all around.

Written By: whistledog on 09/19/13 at 7:40 pm

Video Killed the Radio Star was written by Bruce Woolley, Trevor Horn and Geoff Downes.  Throughout Europe, it was a massive hit in 1979, but did not reach the North American Top 40 until early 1980.  In the US, it just made the Top 40, peaking at #40.  In Canada, it went to #6 in February of 1980 and placed 30th in the Top 100 songs of 1980. 

Did you know it was not the original version?  The song was first recorded by Bruce Woolley and his band The Camera Club in 1979.  I do not know where else this version charted, but it reached #18 in Canada in April of 1980.  One of the members of the Camera Club was Thomas Dolby.

I still do not know which version I prefer.  The Buggles version was disco.  Bruce Woolley's version was new wave.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yXlxqdX2WLA

Written By: Foo Bar on 09/19/13 at 8:51 pm

"Yacht Rock" is basically soft rock on steroids that its really more easy listening than having real rock techniques. Billy Joel, Elton John, Bob Seger, John Cougar Mellencamp, Hall & Oates, Linda Ronstadt, and Steve Miller are more "standard soft rock" with gentle but motivating beats. But Christopher Cross, Dan Fogelberg, Barry Manilow, Gino Vannelli and the like basically combine true soft rock with influences by adult standards/MOR/easy listening artists such as Sinatra/Como/Andy Williams. This was also the age of "yacht country": Kenny Rogers, Eddie Rabbitt, Dolly Parton, etc. That said, 1980 had a lot of good music that didn't go far on the charts. I have many promotional singles from that year in my record collection,  many of which were R&B music which was transitioning from disco to electrofunk.

Yacht Rock for the win!

Also, the title of this hilarious 12-part parody/documentary series from 2005-2010.  Precisely the sorts of artists you've described: Rock-ish artists that wouldn't sound out of place as background music at the country club.  It's not that the music was bad; it was often very well-executed to the point of perfection, and that was its problem.  It was just so blandly inofenssive that it didn't mean anything, regardless of how talented the performers were.

Written By: c_keenan2001@hotmail.com on 09/19/13 at 10:49 pm

QnH1ChxE7ZI

Here's another one that wasn't a hit until the 1980s.  :)

Written By: nally on 09/19/13 at 11:04 pm

A couple more of my personal favorites...

"Magic" by Olivia Newton-John (from the Xanadu soundtrack)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tfA49i3SnyI

"You May Be Right" by Billy Joel:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aoyAg75PsTA
...as well as "It's Still Rock And Roll To Me", which was a hit just a few months before this one.

Written By: Paul on 09/20/13 at 4:07 am

Britians biggest-selling 30 of that year...

1-Super Trouper-Abba
  2-Crying-Don McLean
  3-Woman In Love-Barbra Streisand
  4-Brass In Pocket-Pretenders
  5-Feels Like I'm In Love-Kelly Marie
  6-Funky Town-Lipps Inc
  7-(Just Like) Starting Over-John Lennon
  8-Working My Way Back To You-(Detroit) Spinners
  9-Use It Up And Wear It Out-Odyssey
10-The Tide Is High-Blondie
11-Geno-Dexy's Midnight Runners
12-Don't Stand So Close To Me-Police
13-Xanadu-Olivia Newton-John & ELO
14-No Doubt About It-Hot Chocolate
15-D.I.S.C.O.-Ottawan
16-Together We Are Beautiful-Fern Kinney
17-Theme From Mash (Suicide Is Painless)-Mash
18-Embarrassment-Madness
19-9 To 5 (Morning Train)-Sheena Easton
20-Dance Yourself Dizzy-Liquid Gold
21-Ashes To Ashes-David Bowie
22-Baggy Trousers-Madness
23-Upside Down-Diana Ross
24-Coward Of The County-Kenny Rogers
25-The Winner Takes It All-Abba
26-Start-Jam
27-Stop The Cavalry-Jona Lewie
28-What You're Proposing-Status Quo
29-Banana Republic-Boomtown Rats
30-Going Underground/Dreams Of Children-Jam

Such was the musical 'divide' at the time, that our American friends will not recognise much outside of that Top 10 circle!

I simply cannot (or refuse to!) believe that it's over 30 years ago!

Written By: the_jock on 09/20/13 at 5:09 am

One of the greatest pop songs of all time - 'Never Knew Love Like This Before' by Stephanie Mills came out in 1980. If they still made music like this I'd never get bored with new music.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LExCRKCS5SM

The violins, the sweet lead vocal, the heavenly 'ooohs' by the backing singers. Add to that a music video shot in a park... with trees and ponds, no record studios, no stages, no cars visible. Just Stephanie surrounded by nature. Pure perfection. :)

Written By: warped on 09/20/13 at 8:21 am

Top 35 in Canada for 1980

1. Another Brick in the Wall (Part II) - Pink Floyd
2. Crazy Little Thing Called Love - Queen
3. Call Me - Blondie
4. Coward of the County - Kenny Rogers
5. Cars - Gary Numan
6. It's Still Rock and Roll to Me - Billy Joel
7. Misunderstanding - Genesis
8. Please Don't Go - KC and the Sunshine Band
9. The Rose - Bette Midler
10. Magic - Olivia Newton-John
11. Coming Up - Paul McCartney
12. Emotional Rescue - The Rolling Stones
13. Ladies Night - Kool and the Gang
14. Funkytown - Lipps Inc.
15. Little Jeannie - Elton John
16. Echo Beach - Martha and the Muffins
17. Rock With You - Michael Jackson
18. Refugee - Tom Petty and the Heartbreakers
19. Escape - Rupert Holmes
20. Rock Lobster - The B-52s
21. Ride Like the Wind - Christopher Cross
22. Fire Lake - Bob Seger
23. On the Radio - Donna Summer
24. Sailing - Christopher Cross
25. Do That to Me One More Time - Captain and Tennille
26. An American Dream - The Dirt Band featuring Linda Ronstadt
27. Rapper's Delight - The Sugarhill Gang
28. Tired of Toein' the Line - Rocky Burnette
29. We Don't Talk Anymore - Cliff Richard
30. Video Killed the Radio Star - The Buggles
31. Boulevard - Jackson Browne
32. Don't Fall in Love With A Dreamer - Kenny Rogers with Kim Carnes
33. Another One Bites the Dust - Queen
34. Message in A Bottle - The Police
35. Let My Love Open the Door - Pete Townshend

Also a mix if styles and genres. Some really good songs, some really bad ones too. I was already listening to FM rock stations for years and what I listened to was different than what was on the top 40. Having said that, I was still listening to AM radio and rarely heard #4 or #27. No idea how they made it so high on the list. 

My favorite song of the year was:  Pink Floyd ~ Comfortably Numb

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y7EpSirtf_E

Yeah the album came out a month before 1980 began but it was released as a single in 1980.  I'd say it's also my favorite song of the whole decade of 1980s. The song still blows me away every time I hear it, 30+ years later.

Written By: Howard on 09/20/13 at 3:10 pm

Video Killed the Radio Star was written by Bruce Woolley, Trevor Horn and Geoff Downes.  Throughout Europe, it was a massive hit in 1979, but did not reach the North American Top 40 until early 1980.  In the US, it just made the Top 40, peaking at #40.  In Canada, it went to #6 in February of 1980 and placed 30th in the Top 100 songs of 1980. 

Did you know it was not the original version?  The song was first recorded by Bruce Woolley and his band The Camera Club in 1979.  I do not know where else this version charted, but it reached #18 in Canada in April of 1980.  One of the members of the Camera Club was Thomas Dolby.

I still do not know which version I prefer.  The Buggles version was disco.  Bruce Woolley's version was new wave.

Wow I didn't know there were 2 versions.

Written By: Howard on 09/20/13 at 3:12 pm

M - Pop Musik

So I'm guessing M never came up with another hit besides this one? ???

Written By: Howard on 09/20/13 at 3:14 pm

One of the greatest pop songs of all time - 'Never Knew Love Like This Before' by Stephanie Mills came out in 1980. If they still made music like this I'd never get bored with new music.

The violins, the sweet lead vocal, the heavenly 'ooohs' by the backing singers. Add to that a music video shot in a park... with trees and ponds, no record studios, no stages, no cars visible. Just Stephanie surrounded by nature. Pure perfection. :)

I like this.

Written By: Howard on 09/20/13 at 3:18 pm

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Wg077FI1KQg

Mandolay- La Flavour

Who remembers this?  :)

Written By: whistledog on 09/20/13 at 5:23 pm

M - Pop Musik

That one was a hit in late 1979.  In the UK, it placed 14th in the Top 100 singles of 1979 and here in Canada, it placed #21 on the Top 100 Singles of 1979

Written By: c_keenan2001@hotmail.com on 09/20/13 at 7:34 pm

I don't think so.  I'll look it up but I'm pretty sure that they never matched to popularity of this song.

Pop Muzik reached the #2 position on the UK charts and reached the #1 position on 10/27/1979

Written By: whistledog on 09/20/13 at 7:41 pm

I don't think so.  I'll look it up but I'm pretty sure that they never matched to popularity of this song.
Pop Muzik reached the #2 position on the UK charts and reached the #1 position on 10/27/1979

Pop Musik was the lone chart entry in North America.  As M were a UK group, they were not one hit wonders in the UK ...

1979 | Pop Musik
1979 | Moonlight and Musak
1980 | That's the Way the Money Goes
1980 | Official Secrets
1989 | Pop Musik (re-release)

Written By: c_keenan2001@hotmail.com on 09/20/13 at 7:43 pm

noHlrgPKX5U

Written By: c_keenan2001@hotmail.com on 09/20/13 at 7:48 pm

Pop Musik was the lone chart entry in North America.  As M were a UK group, they were not one hit wonders in the UK ...

1979 | Pop Musik
1979 | Moonlight and Musak
1980 | That's the Way the Money Goes
1980 | Official Secrets
1989 | Pop Musik (re-release)

Thank you for that useful bit of information whistledog.  :)

Written By: robby76 on 09/21/13 at 1:37 am

I was only 4yrs old but I remember listening to "Can You Feel It" by the Jacksons and Air Supply. More recent finds from that year would be Andy Gibb's 3rd album "After Dark".

Written By: Paul on 09/21/13 at 3:20 am

Very true, but hardly anyone will remember any of the other hits, so they could reasonably be given OHW status here too!

M wasn't really a group as such (more of a studio concoction by Robin Scott), but 'Pop Musik' did feature a couple of musicians who would later go on to form...Level 42!

Written By: c_keenan2001@hotmail.com on 09/21/13 at 8:32 am

p

Yes I did know that was a cover version.  I never said that it was the "ORIGINAL!" I just said that it was a hit for The Buggles.;)
The other cover of this song was done by The Presidents of the United States of America in 1996 and it was a big hit for them too.

Written By: nally on 09/21/13 at 11:27 am

Yes I did know that was a cover version.  I never said that it was the "ORIGINAL!" I just said that it was a hit for The Buggles.;)
The other cover of this song was done by The Presidents of the United States of America in 1996 and it was a big hit for them too.

I remember that one; it was on the soundtrack to the 1998 movie Wedding Singer (and played during the ending credits). Not as good as the original, IMO, however. :-\\

Written By: Howard on 09/21/13 at 3:02 pm

So they were popular in The U.K. but not the U.S.? Why is that? ???

Written By: Howard on 09/21/13 at 3:05 pm

Ottawan - Hands Up

Jean Patrick also had songs like:

"D.I.S.C.O." - UK #2
    "You're OK"

Written By: Howard on 09/21/13 at 3:10 pm

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F-mjl63e0ms

I'm Coming Out- Diana Ross

Written By: whistledog on 09/21/13 at 6:12 pm

'Pop Musik' did feature a couple of musicians who would later go on to form...Level 42!

This I was not aware of.  Level 42 was a band I really enjoyed

Written By: whistledog on 09/21/13 at 7:05 pm

Some one hit wonders of 1980 ...

Charlie Dore - Pilot of the Airwaves
This peaked in the UK chart in 1979
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SGKrgJZhpzk

Flying Lizards - Money
This peaked in the UK chart in 1979, and is technically inelligible as a OHW there as a 2nd single titled TV made it to #43 in 1980
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E-P2qL3qkzk

Hansie - Automobile
Her name is actually spelled Hansje and she is from Holland.  Her name was changed for North American release.  Don't let the Canadian chart position fool you.  This was well played on radio
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dueXrNAipCE

Written By: c_keenan2001@hotmail.com on 09/21/13 at 8:13 pm

Jean Patrick also had songs like:

"D.I.S.C.O." - UK #2
    "You're OK"

RPo4lS0fHd8

Does anybody remember the Club Med commercials that used Hands Up (Give Me Your Heart) as its theme song?

Written By: whistledog on 09/21/13 at 9:18 pm

Does anybody remember the Club Med commercials that used Hands Up (Give Me Your Heart) as its theme song?

I do indeed.  Hands Up by Ottawan never charted in Canada, but it's weird, I have a 1989 Polytel compilation album called "Hit Wave" and that song is on it.

http://www.discogs.com/Various-Hit-Wave/release/3107006

Perhaps they meant to include the Canadian version by Sway, which was a Top 20 hit in Canada in 1988

Written By: warped on 09/21/13 at 9:54 pm

Some one hit wonders of 1980 ...

Charlie Dore - Pilot of the Airwaves
This peaked in the UK chart in 1979

Flying Lizards - Money
This peaked in the UK chart in 1979, and is technically inelligible as a OHW there as a 2nd single titled TV made it to #43 in 1980

Hansie - Automobile
Her name is actually spelled Hansje and she is from Holland.  Her name was changed for North American release.  Don't let the Canadian chart position fool you.  This was well played on radio

I don't know the Hansie song, but I know the others very well.

Written By: robby76 on 09/21/13 at 10:54 pm

I went to Club Med in the mid 80s and every night the club GO's would make us all do a dance to "Hands Up" after dinner...  :D

Written By: Paul on 09/22/13 at 7:10 am

This I was not aware of.  Level 42 was a band I really enjoyed

Phil Gould (original drummer) and Mark King were both at the session that produced 'Pop Musik' and some of the LP, but even Mark can't quite remember who played on what!

But Phil did appear on some personal appearances for the single - that's him at the drumkit here but it's a very brief appearance...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tcCbuIKaAtY

(Heh! After all that, I still regard this as a 70s record (for obvious reasons!)

Written By: c_keenan2001@hotmail.com on 09/22/13 at 8:47 am

I went to Club Med in the mid 80s and every night the club GO's would make us all do a dance to "Hands Up" after dinner...  :D

Did that song start to drive you up the wall robby? ;D

Written By: Howard on 09/22/13 at 3:16 pm

I don't remember.  ???

Written By: Howard on 09/22/13 at 3:21 pm

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MHw0INuEzrE

Lakeside- Your Love Is On The One

Written By: nally on 09/22/13 at 8:36 pm

Another one that I've always enjoyed...

"Pulling Mussels From A Shell" by Squeeze
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u-fXmS_JmvA

Written By: Howard on 09/23/13 at 6:24 am

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ldyx3KHOFXw

Cars-Gary Numan

Written By: warped on 09/23/13 at 8:06 pm

This was from a very popular album in 1980.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tnz_jP3OHpM

Written By: whistledog on 09/23/13 at 8:50 pm

^ Good song!

Here's a trio of artists from the UK with Top 40 hits they had in Canada in 1980 ...

Robert Palmer - Johnny and Mary
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7_SAMrDnXOE

The Monks - Drugs in My Pocket
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dXARaoXHYMI

Nazareth - Holiday
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C1mJRmM7Ql44

Written By: whistledog on 09/23/13 at 11:42 pm

Some Top 40 hits of 1980 from British artists ...

Peter Gabriel - Games Without Frontiers
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3xZmlUV8muY

The Babys - Back on My Feet Again
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A39kPkfLq7Y

The Alan Parsons Project - Damned If I Do
This one was actually released in 1979, but peaked in early 1980
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QkqAEjZfVv8

Written By: Howard on 09/24/13 at 6:25 am

Peter Gabriel - Games Without Frontiers

one of my favorite Peter Gabriel songs.

Written By: Paul on 09/24/13 at 1:19 pm

The Monks - Drugs in My Pocket

Never charted in their home country, where they're only known for the decidedly un-PC 'Nice Legs, Shame About Her Face' which charted the previous year - and even that wasn't meant for release! It was simply a demo recording!

Written By: whistledog on 09/24/13 at 6:38 pm

Never charted in their home country, where they're only known for the decidedly un-PC 'Nice Legs, Shame About Her Face' which charted the previous year - and even that wasn't meant for release! It was simply a demo recording!

Very odd.  I know that song and it is very odd lol.  I wonder was 'Drugs in My Pocket' even released a single for the UK?  Weird that it would not chart in their homeland

Written By: Foo Bar on 09/25/13 at 8:11 pm

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=972hw9_-fEA

I remember both tracks... but hadn't heard Nice Legs, Shame About Her Face in 20-30 years.  The only thing I'd remembered was the chorus.  Thanks for the walk through memory lane and the rediscovery.

Written By: Paul on 09/26/13 at 5:44 am

I wonder was 'Drugs in My Pocket' even released a single for the UK?  Weird that it would not chart in their homeland

It was, but only as a B side, which probably accounts for lack of airplay and chart action...

The story goes that the band was on the verge of calling it a day when they realised that 'Drugs' had taken off in Canada! They were so well received there, that Canada was one of the very few places where their second (and last) LP was released...

Written By: Howard on 09/26/13 at 6:41 am

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DPSatcfd0rw

I Ain't Gonna Stand For It-Stevie Wonder

Written By: whistledog on 09/26/13 at 4:16 pm

The story goes that the band was on the verge of calling it a day when they realised that 'Drugs' had taken off in Canada! They were so well received there, that Canada was one of the very few places where their second (and last) LP was released...

'Drugs in My Pocket' was a OHW in Canada, but such the hit it was, the album 'Bad Habits' peaked at #11 in the Canadian Albums Chart and placed 18th in the Top 100 albums in Canada for 1980.  I think it was the inappropriate album cover with the nun that did it lol

http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3091/3251367954_eb0dde775f.jpg

That 2nd album was called Suspended Animation and peaked at #30 in Canada.  It had no hits sadly, but it is a good album for what it was.  I proudly own it and Bad Habits on cassette tape.  Yep, ultra rare old school lol

http://www.recordsale.de/cdpix/t/the_monks-suspenden_animation.jpg

Written By: warped on 09/27/13 at 1:14 pm

'Drugs in My Pocket' was a OHW in Canada, but such the hit it was, the album 'Bad Habits' peaked at #11 in the Canadian Albums Chart and placed 18th in the Top 100 albums in Canada for 1980.  I think it was the inappropriate album cover with the nun that did it lol

http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3091/3251367954_eb0dde775f.jpg

The album “Bad habits” was a huge hit in Toronto. HUGE!    “Drugs in my pocket” received lots of AM radio play, but it wasn’t alone. “I ain’t getting any”, “Love in Stereo”, “Johnny be Rotten” and “Nice legs, shame about her face” got lots of airplay on AM, and more on FM radio. Very popular album during my last high of high school. All my friends and I loved it. We sang along to the tunes at parties...very popular songs.

I'd go as far to say that "Nice legs, shame about her face" was as popular as "Drugs in my pocket". "I ain't getting any" was also popular.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X7r5RYThiHM  http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZvDVQ-1NSDw

That 2nd album was called Suspended Animation and peaked at #30 in Canada.  It had no hits sadly, but it is a good album for what it was.  I proudly own it and Bad Habits on cassette tape.  Yep, ultra rare old school lol

http://www.recordsale.de/cdpix/t/the_monks-suspenden_animation.jpg

Their next album didn’t fare well, the only song I remember from it was “King Dong”. Funny song.

Written By: warped on 10/01/13 at 12:40 pm

Toronto's "1050 CHUM" top 100 songs from 1980

http://craig.sowny.ca/www/www3.sympatico.ca/craig.smith/chum80.htm

The top 10 Heavily dominated by British artists, which I remember was the case back then.  I counted 6 Canadian songs in the top 100.

1 Another Brick In The Wall (pt2) Pink Floyd
2 Emotional Rescue     Rolling Stones
3 Misunderstanding           Genesis
4 Brass In Pocket(I'm Special) Pretenders
5 Another One Bites The Dust Queen
6 Don't Stand So Close To Me Police
7 Dreamer             Supertramp
8 Let My Love Open The Door Peter Townsend
9 Crazy Little Thing Called Love Queen
10 (Just Like) Starting Over John Lennon

Written By: Howard on 10/01/13 at 2:13 pm

http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/41687wq7fcL._SY300_.jpg

and this was the final album John Lennon made before he was shot to death. ^

and many of the songs I've heard but not all of them from this album.

Written By: warped on 10/04/13 at 7:38 am

http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/41687wq7fcL._SY300_.jpg

and this was the final album John Lennon made before he was shot to death. ^

and many of the songs I've heard but not all of them from this album.

I listened to the whole album many times, even the Yoko songs.

Written By: Howard on 10/04/13 at 3:15 pm

I listened to the whole album many times, even the Yoko songs.

Did you enjoy them?  :)

Written By: warped on 10/05/13 at 7:06 am

Did you enjoy them?  :)

There are 1 or 2 Yoko songs that were tolerable, the rest was not something I enjoyed.

Written By: Howard on 10/05/13 at 3:24 pm

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=23cSH7cMKBw

Whispers- It's A Love Thing

Written By: warped on 10/05/13 at 3:38 pm

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=23cSH7cMKBw

Ooh, never heard of this song...or the band either. Must not have been played in Canada much.

Written By: Howard on 10/06/13 at 3:24 pm

Ooh, never heard of this song...or the band either. Must not have been played in Canada much.

The Whispers have been around for close to 45 years and both Walter and Wally Scott celebrated their 70th birthday last month. They still tour around the world.

Written By: whistledog on 10/06/13 at 5:28 pm

It's A Love Thing was not a chart hit in Canada, but in 1980, they did chart here as well as US with And the Beat Goes On.  That one I remember ...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=slldMEPvUqA

Written By: warped on 10/07/13 at 5:15 pm

It's A Love Thing was not a chart hit in Canada, but in 1980, they did chart here as well as US with And the Beat Goes On.  That one I remember ...

I remember this song on the radio. Still, never heard of the band....probably coz I'm not interested in either song.

Written By: Howard on 10/07/13 at 7:24 pm

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hpp3qzdlHuY

Savannah Nights-Tom Johnston

Written By: warped on 10/08/13 at 10:25 am

2 popular songs that year.

Saga ~ Don't Be Late

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tYt7dWb2knc

Ozzy Osbourne ~ Crazy Train

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=otdHbA4GlSI

Written By: Howard on 10/08/13 at 7:25 pm

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kd_Nb5i-5_Y

Rick James-Big Time

Written By: Starde on 10/11/13 at 10:15 pm

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AYUdldNzLNA

Love Hall & Oates! 8)

Written By: Henk on 10/12/13 at 1:48 am

Both songs also made Dutch Top 40 (in 1981 and 1980, respectively).

"It's A Love Thing" even made it to #5 over here. 8)

Written By: Henk on 10/12/13 at 1:57 am

Of course, you can't have a 1980 thread without the dance craze of the year... ::)

De Electronica's - De Vogeltjesdans

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CQeXiROc0iA

Written By: warped on 10/12/13 at 7:23 am

2 outstanding Rock and Roll females from 1980.

Pat Benatar ~ Treat me right

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1SNErApHBoA

Linda Ronstadt ~ How Do I Make You

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7ReOaMcJRUI

Written By: Howard on 10/12/13 at 3:44 pm

Both songs also made Dutch Top 40 (in 1981 and 1980, respectively).

"It's A Love Thing" even made it to #5 over here. 8)

and they continue to make music all over the world.

Written By: Howard on 10/12/13 at 3:47 pm

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IMhmPCZcHLE

Jacksons-Everybody

Written By: whistledog on 10/12/13 at 3:53 pm

Of course, you can't have a 1980 thread without the dance craze of the year... ::)

De Electronica's - De Vogeltjesdans

Dang, how many versions of that song does there need to be LOL

Written By: Henk on 10/12/13 at 5:08 pm

Dang, how many versions of that song does there need to be LOL

One too many. ;D

The original version of the "song" was recorded in 1973, by Swiss musician Werner Thomas under the pseudonym of Cash And Carry.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yV7XgY6y5N8

Written By: Howard on 10/13/13 at 3:53 pm

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Wlz6mTyiMZc

Elton John-Little Jeannie

Written By: Philip Eno on 10/22/13 at 7:31 am

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TGveEhfMPaQ

Just Tell Me You Love Me by England Dan and John Ford Coley

Written By: Howard on 10/22/13 at 7:28 pm

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JWwJYhFQ4RU

Locksmith-Unlock The Funk

Written By: Paul on 10/23/13 at 10:56 am

This bunch of nutcases did pretty well in the early 80s (and no, this is NOT my theme tune, if you were wondering!)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uW1Uy8etKzo

Written By: Howard on 10/23/13 at 2:02 pm

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FcLITA7Ugw0

Kurtis Blow-The Breaks

Written By: Paul on 10/23/13 at 3:56 pm

We were spared it until the following year...hastily put-together studio outfit The Tweets took the honours (if you can call it that) and the sales, while The Electronicas stalled just outside our 20...

The song was voted the most annoying song of all time a few years back (this was before 'Gangnam Style' and most of One Direction's output, so this may have changed...)

Written By: Paul on 11/04/13 at 5:27 pm

Disco's last stand? Not quite, as it was originally released the year before and simply took ages to be a hit!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WR03E91J_uA

Written by Ray Dorset (of Mungo Jerry fame) and originally thrown to some bloke called Elvis Presley, who died before he could record it (not sure if the song had anything to do with that, of course!)

Written By: warped on 11/04/13 at 5:47 pm

Disco's last stand? Not quite, as it was originally released the year before and simply took ages to be a hit!

Written by Ray Dorset (of Mungo Jerry fame) and originally thrown to some bloke called Elvis Presley, who died before he could record it (not sure if the song had anything to do with that, of course!)

Ooh, I don't remember that one. Glad I was spared this  ;D! 

Written By: Howard on 11/04/13 at 7:30 pm

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WR03E91J_uA

Wow, I remember hearing this on the radio.

Written By: Howard on 11/04/13 at 7:33 pm

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SxCBu45HgjE

Larry Graham-One In A Million You

Written By: whistledog on 11/05/13 at 8:11 pm

Here's one from 1979 by Dan Fogelberg, that reached it's peak in 1980.  It was his highest charting single in the US and perhaps his best known ...

Dan Fogelberg - Longer
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5Go6I2_PpBU

Written By: warped on 11/05/13 at 8:38 pm

Here's one from 1979 by Dan Fogelberg, that reached it's peak in 1980.  It was his highest charting single in the US and perhaps his best known ...

That is such a beautiful song.  :)

Written By: whistledog on 11/05/13 at 8:42 pm

That is such a beautiful song.  :)

It is.  I love the instrumental part with the trumpets the best

Written By: Howard on 11/06/13 at 7:09 am

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_WkR2Tv4dq4

Rupert Holmes-Escape (Pina Colada Song)

Written By: whistledog on 11/06/13 at 1:24 pm

Here is a song that is one of (if not THE) the most famous of cover songs of all time ...

Frank Sinatra - Theme From New York, New York
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W40y9W2PQxA

This song was originally written for Liza Minnelli to perform for the 1977 motion picture New York, New York in which she co-starred, but it failed to chart.  In 1978, Frank Sinatra sang it at one of his concerts, and it was so well received, he decided to record a studio version in 1979, which appears on his 1980 album Trilogy: Past, Present, Future.  It went on to become one of his most famous songs, as some might say, his signature hit

Written By: Howard on 11/06/13 at 3:07 pm

my favorite song by Frank Sinatra.  :)

Written By: Howard on 11/06/13 at 3:10 pm

Cars-Gary Numan

Written By: Philip Eno on 11/06/13 at 3:29 pm

Cars-Gary Numan
Cars by Gary Numan was released in the UKon September 1st 1979 and was gone from the charts by December 1979.

Written By: warped on 11/06/13 at 3:40 pm

Cars by Gary Numan was released in the UKon September 1st 1979 and was gone from the charts by December 1979.

I guess we got this song later here because it was number 1 in 1980...I'm gonna say spring of 1980 (that's a guess).  I don't think the song even hit the charts here until early 1980.

Written By: Paul on 11/06/13 at 4:38 pm

One of those songs that kind of 'spanned' not just a year, but a decade...

In much the same way as most Brits regard 'Love Shack' as a 1990 song, it was a hit the previous year in the US.

...and in any case, this didn't hit big here until six years later!

Written By: whistledog on 11/06/13 at 9:03 pm

Depending on where you are, Cars by Gary Numan is either a 70s song or an 80s song.  Much the same way as Video Killed the Radio Star  by The Buggles.

Cars first charted here in Canada in March (1980).  It reached #1 in June of 1980.  Speaking of 1979/1980 songs, another good one was Rock Lobster by The B-52s.  It was released as a single in 1978, where it (first) peaked at UK #37 in August of 1979.  In early of 1980, it peaked in North America, and strangely enough, saw it's greatest success in Canada ...

The B-52 - Rock Lobster
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=szhJzX0UgDM

Written By: whistledog on 11/06/13 at 9:20 pm

1980 was a number, just like the title of this hit song ...

Toto - 99
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uFeBp1PDKyg

This was the lead single from Toto's 2nd album Hydra that was released in late 1979.  The song peaked in early 1980 and was the only hit from that album

Remember that one hit wonder band The Knack?  Well if you thought they were one hit wonders, then you really don't remember them at all.  Here they are with their first hit of the 80s.  It was their 3rd Top 40 hit in North America, and would become their last ever Top 40 appearance ...

The Knack - Baby Talks Dirty
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P-dKbd3XBHM

Written By: Paul on 11/07/13 at 6:46 am

An achingly beautiful song that we completely ignored here in Britain...why? You tell me!

(I think this peaked just as the new decade dawned, so it goes here 'cause I said so!)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Abum9IDymTE

Written By: Howard on 11/07/13 at 6:53 am

Depending on where you are, Cars by Gary Numan is either a 70s song or an 80s song.  Much the same way as Video Killed the Radio Star  by The Buggles.

Cars first charted here in Canada in March (1980).  It reached #1 in June of 1980.  Speaking of 1979/1980 songs, another good one was Rock Lobster by The B-52s.  It was released as a single in 1978, where it (first) peaked at UK #37 in August of 1979.  In early of 1980, it peaked in North America, and strangely enough, saw it's greatest success in Canada ...

The B-52 - Rock Lobster

Was Rock Lobster considered like a dance craze sort of like The Macarena? ???

Written By: Howard on 11/07/13 at 6:54 am

An achingly beautiful song that we completely ignored here in Britain...why? You tell me!

(I think this peaked just as the new decade dawned, so it goes here 'cause I said so!)

I agree, this was a beautiful song.

Written By: Howard on 11/07/13 at 6:57 am

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YvSk2tzHFQs

Coffee- Casanova

Written By: warped on 11/07/13 at 7:00 am

1980 was a number, just like the title of this hit song ...

Toto - 99

Remember that one hit wonder band The Knack?  Well if you thought they were one hit wonders, then you really don't remember them at all.  Here they are with their first hit of the 80s.  It was their 3rd Top 40 hit in North America, and would become their last ever Top 40 appearance ...

The Knack - Baby Talks Dirty

The Toto song was good, the Knack song "My Sharona part 2" wasn't any good. #13 in Canada?? It didn't receive that much play on the radio.  How did it ever reach #13?

Written By: Howard on 11/07/13 at 2:22 pm

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7p941l8B9js

The SOS Band- Take Your Time (Do It Right)

Written By: whistledog on 11/09/13 at 8:07 pm

the Knack song "My Sharona part 2" wasn't any good. #13 in Canada?? It didn't receive that much play on the radio.  How did it ever reach #13?

I thought it was OK.  I mostly like it because it was a bigger hit in Canada than the US lol

Written By: whistledog on 11/09/13 at 8:17 pm

Lipps Inc. were a band best known for their 1980 disco hit Funkytown (from their 1979 debut album Mouth to Mouth) which is commonly referred as a one hit wonder.  For some countries though, they were not a one hit wonder.  In late 1980, they released their 2nd album Pucker Up and the lead single from it was a cover of the 1974 Ace song How Long.  It never charted in the US, but it did in Canada, and even saw the Top 40 in several parts of Europe.

Lipps Inc. - How Long
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vr69NcmYg3Q

----------------------------------

Here is one from Canada that still gets so much radio play, you'd swear it was a brand new hit still in the charts today!  Not a bad feat for a song that never made the Top 40 ...

The Kings - This Beat Goes On / Switchin' to Glide
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zMEeWhV68sM

Written By: whistledog on 11/09/13 at 8:35 pm

Here's a one hit wonder from 1980 ...

The Kingbees - My Mistake
Though they were an American band, this song qualified for Canadian Content as their lead singer Jamie James (who wrote the song) is from Canada
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Az5YBdtSE9Y

-------------------------------------------------------------------

Before Annie Lennox and Dave Stewart formed Eurythmics, they were the core members of a band called The Tourists.  From 1979-1980, they charted 5 hits in their native UK.  The biggest of those came in 1980 via a cover of the Dusty Springfield classic I Only Want to Be With You which was also the group's lone hit in North America. 

The Tourists - I Only Want to Be With You
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iVlEGHCSIro

Written By: warped on 11/10/13 at 7:37 am

---------------------------------

Here is one from Canada that still gets so much radio play, you'd swear it was a brand new hit still in the charts today!  Not a bad feat for a song that never made the Top 40 ...

Great song! This one fared better in Toronto than the rest on the country. On the Chum charts it finished in the top 100 songs of the year (#81) , and it reached #10 in October of 1980. We heard that one all the time in Toronto.

Written By: Paul on 11/10/13 at 11:14 am

Interesting-ish fact about that song...

The original version by Dusty Springfield hit UK#4 in late 1963
A cover by the Bay City Rollers hit UK#4 in autumn 1976
The Tourists hit UK#4 with it in late 1979...

...then Sam Fox ruined the entire sequence by spluttering out at #16 in early 1989!

When is a 1980 song NOT a 1980 song? When it gets issued and becomes a hit in 1981, that's when!

This wasn't meant to be issued, not in the UK, but it was issued in Germany and sold so many copies as an import that it ended up charting here - a very rare event in those days!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m-H0uIH5HHQ

Because of its import status, it stalled at #21, but it became the group's best known and much admired hit...

Written By: Howard on 11/10/13 at 3:27 pm

Lipps Inc. were a band best known for their 1980 disco hit Funkytown (from their 1979 debut album Mouth to Mouth) which is commonly referred as a one hit wonder.  For some countries though, they were not a one hit wonder.  In late 1980, they released their 2nd album Pucker Up and the lead single from it was a cover of the 1974 Ace song How Long.  It never charted in the US, but it did in Canada, and even saw the Top 40 in several parts of Europe.

Lipps Inc. - How Long

----------------------------------

It never charted in The U.S.? It must have been a crappy tune.

Written By: Howard on 11/10/13 at 3:29 pm

Here's a one hit wonder from 1980 ...

The Kingbees - My Mistake
Though they were an American band, this song qualified for Canadian Content as their lead singer Jamie James (who wrote the song) is from Canada

-------------------------------------------------------------------

Before Annie Lennox and Dave Stewart formed Eurythmics, they were the core members of a band called The Tourists.  From 1979-1980, they charted 5 hits in their native UK.  The biggest of those came in 1980 via a cover of the Dusty Springfield classic I Only Want to Be With You which was also the group's lone hit in North America. 

I see this was way before she dyed her hair orange.

Written By: Howard on 11/10/13 at 3:32 pm

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nakrQ9jVKM4

Please Don't Go- KC And The Sunshine Band

Written By: whistledog on 11/10/13 at 4:00 pm

Yes, because only the good songs make the U.S charts ::)

Written By: warped on 11/10/13 at 5:36 pm

;D yeah, must be.

Or...It must have been a crappy tune coz it was disco  ;)
;D

Written By: Howard on 11/11/13 at 7:04 am

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EA60raoEx18

Rocky Burnette- Tired Of Toein' The Line

Written By: Henk on 11/21/13 at 2:09 pm

Jona Lewie - You'll Always Find Me In The Kitchen At Parties

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=62eTq8ErUOQ

Written By: Howard on 11/21/13 at 2:16 pm

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bOm0Dq_kKNU

I'm sure you'll enjoy this ballad: Ambrosia-You're The Biggest Part Of Me

Written By: Paul on 11/26/13 at 5:33 pm

And I'm sure you'll enjoy this ballad from Motorhead...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1iwC2QljLn4

Written By: warped on 11/26/13 at 5:45 pm

Lemmy!. "The Ace of Spades"  Great song. Wonderful tune.

Written By: whistledog on 11/26/13 at 10:00 pm

Ace of Spades was their best ever!

Written By: Howard on 11/27/13 at 6:39 am

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CJ3DWa_QLO4

Dr. Hook-Sexy Eyes

Written By: Philip Eno on 12/21/13 at 10:11 am

"9 to 5" is a song written and originally performed by Dolly Parton for the 1980 comedy film of the same name.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LwDMFOLIHxU

Written By: Howard on 12/21/13 at 4:14 pm

"9 to 5" is a song written and originally performed by Dolly Parton for the 1980 comedy film of the same name.

great song.

Written By: Howard on 12/21/13 at 4:17 pm

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WflkuBweSYo

Kenny Loggins & Michael McDonald-This is it

Written By: AL-B Mk. III on 12/21/13 at 6:55 pm

And now, for something completely different:

Roky Erickson and the Aliens - Two Headed Dog (Red Temple Prayer)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F7aLXehSXAo

Written By: Howard on 12/22/13 at 6:53 am

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bmFRvpwVSwo

Genesis - Misunderstanding

Written By: Howard on 12/25/13 at 7:45 am

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L4Wh4JG51I0

Bon Bon Vie- TS Monk

Written By: CatwomanofV on 01/23/14 at 5:46 pm

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j-SgGHlZXQc

Cat

Written By: Howard on 01/24/14 at 3:33 pm

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CQPn79fucCM

MICHAEL JACKSON - OFF THE WALL

Written By: nally on 01/25/14 at 12:37 pm

Scorpions, "The Zoo":
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a8ZSdicyD2Y

I don't get to hear this one much, except mainly when rock stations play their music alphabetically, and this is one of the last ones to be played.

Written By: Howard on 01/25/14 at 3:10 pm

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x2JTjYTrFfQ&feature=kp

Jermaine Jackson -- Don't Take It Personal

Written By: Paul on 02/07/14 at 3:29 pm

Another one of those inexplicable one-hit wonders that the British chart of 1980 seemed to be full of...from the late Sue Wilkinson...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xFkAxMokhuk

(Yes, that IS Mr. Daltrey on presentation duty - thankfully, he didn't give up the day job before he got old!)

Written By: Howard on 02/07/14 at 3:32 pm

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f-skfwy10_s&feature=kp

Robbie Dupree - Steal Away

Written By: whistledog on 02/12/14 at 7:22 pm

Another one of those inexplicable one-hit wonders that the British chart of 1980 seemed to be full of...from the late Sue Wilkinson...

(Yes, that IS Mr. Daltrey on presentation duty - thankfully, he didn't give up the day job before he got old!)

Oh my.  That is one unusual song.  I am not sure if I like it or hate it, but I kind of want to give it a 2nd listen

Written By: whistledog on 02/12/14 at 7:31 pm

Here is one from Canada that never charted, but that didn't matter as radio stations played it like it was sitting comfortable in the Top 20.  I remember this one well ...

Straight Lines - Heads Are Gonna Roll
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q1z8j-M-5WA

Here is another one from Canada that never charted, yet radio loved it ...

The Start - Hey You
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X4szuWyZIqQ

Written By: Howard on 02/12/14 at 7:38 pm

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7HEfd2MgPeY&feature=kp

Brothers Johnson - Light up the Night

Written By: warped on 02/12/14 at 7:40 pm

Here is one from Canada that never charted, but that didn't matter as radio stations played it like it was sitting comfortable in the Top 20.  I remember this one well ...

Straight Lines - Heads Are Gonna Roll

Here is another one from Canada that never charted, yet radio loved it ...

The Start - Hey You

Again, I am surprised neither single charted, it did receive lots of AM and FM radio play...both of them did. I haven't heard "heads are gonna roll" in a long time.  Straight lines had a more successful song ''Letting go" released in late 1981 or early 1982. 

Written By: Howard on 02/13/14 at 7:19 am

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X_LGm1e8uFU

Doobie Brothers - Real Love

Written By: nally on 03/24/14 at 11:05 pm

Joy Division, "Love Will Tear Us Apart"

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I-2i2SR_OsU

This one was released not long before lead singer Ian Curtis took his own life. :\'(

Written By: Howard on 04/04/14 at 3:21 pm

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v4H4dT7cFFY&feature=kp

It's Time To Party Now - RAY PARKER Jr. And RAYDIO

Written By: Foo Bar on 05/01/14 at 9:24 pm

Coming from 1977, we have a little more Odyssey...

Gb1QCTAlzbM
  - Odyssey, Use It Up and Wear It Out, 1980.

Choose your own adventurous musical conclusion: Jump forward to 1990 or back to 1979!

Written By: Howard on 05/02/14 at 3:36 pm

Kool And the Gang - night people

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ojyqvCDXhlE

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 05/10/14 at 12:04 am

2 anti-apartheid songs --

The Human League: Dreams of Leaving

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M9dxPEyQaT0

Peter Gabriel: Biko

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3ncVyxQRw70

Written By: Howard on 05/10/14 at 3:33 pm

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bi_WayqBVYg

Robbie Dupree: Steal away

Written By: Philip Eno on 01/26/15 at 9:42 pm

Z5ohUHIjAxI

The theme tune to the British comedy-drama "Minder", "I Could Be So Good for You", was written in 1979 by Patricia Waterman and Gerard Kenny and sung by Dennis Waterman. The record reached No.3 in the UK charts in November 1980 and led Waterman to tour as a singer. Dennis Waterman also sang the theme songs to other programmes he starred in, including On the Up, Stay Lucky, and New Tricks, and this led to a parody in Little Britain where Dennis Waterman is offered acting work; he always assumes he will also "write the theme tune, sing the theme tune...".

Written By: Foo Bar on 02/22/15 at 1:07 am

PeGTJOFSIgU
vMPR6Ujop4k

Little-known fact, there were two completely different videos for Visage's 1980 New Romantic hit Fade to Grey

Written By: Philip Eno on 03/12/15 at 8:33 am

"Love Enough for Two" was the British entry in the Eurovision Song Contest 1980, performed in English by Prima Donna. The song is uptempo and about the love between two people. The song was performed 13th on the night, following Germany's Katja Ebstein with "Theater" and preceding Portugal's José Cid with "Um grande, grande amor". At the close of voting, it had received 106 points, placing 3rd in a field of 19. The song reached #48 on the UK Singles Chart.

Prima Donna comprised of sisters Kate Robbins and Jane Robbins, Sally Ann Triplett, Danny Finn, Alan Coates and Lance Aston (brother of Jay Aston, who performed with Bucks Fizz, the following year's contest winners). Finn was a former member of The New Seekers and was married to fellow ex-Seeker Eve Graham. Robbins later embarked on a successful career as a comedienne, impressionist and actress.

WpwpDSDnNj0

Written By: Philip Eno on 06/22/15 at 1:15 pm

In 1980 , Don McLean released a covered Roy Orbison's  1961 hit "Crying", taking it to No. 5 on the hot 100 in early 1981, No. 2 on adult contemporary, No. 6 on country, and No. 1 on the UK Singles Chart. It appeared on his 1978 album, Chain Lightning.

XjMNOouIb0k

Written By: Philip Eno on 08/08/15 at 1:45 pm

"Flash" is a song by British rock band Queen. Written by guitarist Brian May, "Flash" is the theme song of the 1980 film Flash Gordon. The soundtrack released to coincide with the film contained only the music composed and performed by Queen.

MS4_Z84-rRE

Written By: whistledog on 11/05/15 at 2:08 am

Here is one (released in 1979) that became a big hit in March of 1980 ...

The Dirt Band (featuring Linda Ronstadt) - An American Dream
99snk-CAVMw

Linda is on backing vocals on this song, but her voice is so noticeable on the chorus, I would consider it a duet even though it technically is not

Written By: Philip Eno on 04/26/16 at 1:56 pm

"Call Me" is a song by the American rock band Blondie. Released in the US early 1980 as a single, "Call Me" was number one for six consecutive weeks on the Billboard Hot 100 chart, where it became the band's biggest single and second #1. It also hit #1 in the UK and Canada, where it became their fourth and second chart-topper respectively. In the year-end charts of 1980 it was Billboard's #1 hit, and according to Billboard magazine, was the top-selling single of the year in the United States in 1980 and RPM's #3. The song was featured in the Richard Gere movie 'American Gigolo', the track was also a No.1 in the US where it became the band's biggest selling single. Producer Giorgio Moroder originally asked Stevie Nicks from Fleetwood Mac to help compose and perform a song for the soundtrack, but she declined.

StKVS0eI85I

Written By: Philip Eno on 04/26/16 at 2:00 pm

"Mirror in the Bathroom" is a single by British ska band The Beat, released as a single in 1980 from their debut album, I Just Can't Stop It (1980). It reached #4 in the UK charts and consequently was their biggest selling single/highest charting release in the UK until 1983. It was also their highest charting original single. It was released again in 1995 as a CD single (Remix EP) to promote b.p.m.: The Very Best of the Beat (1996). The single featured #44 in 1995. That same album also features four remixes of the song on CD2 (m.p.b.m.): These are "Dub in the Bathroom", "Just Can't Stop the Dub", Mark 'Spike' Stent Remix, and Tic Tac Toe remix. It was the first single released in the UK to have been digitally recorded.

f_-7fqUMuyg

Written By: Redhairkid on 05/21/16 at 12:08 pm

"Love Enough for Two" was the British entry in the Eurovision Song Contest 1980, performed in English by Prima Donna. The song is uptempo and about the love between two people. The song was performed 13th on the night, following Germany's Katja Ebstein with "Theater" and preceding Portugal's José Cid with "Um grande, grande amor". At the close of voting, it had received 106 points, placing 3rd in a field of 19. The song reached #48 on the UK Singles Chart.

Prima Donna comprised of sisters Kate Robbins and Jane Robbins, Sally Ann Triplett, Danny Finn, Alan Coates and Lance Aston (brother of Jay Aston, who performed with Bucks Fizz, the following year's contest winners). Finn was a former member of The New Seekers and was married to fellow ex-Seeker Eve Graham. Robbins later embarked on a successful career as a comedienne, impressionist and actress.

WpwpDSDnNj0

Alan Coates later joined the Hollies and was part of the lineup I saw when I saw them live in November 2003.

The song which came 10th was my favourite. Still love him now!

Written By: Henk on 07/19/16 at 3:19 pm

Maybe this one's been mentioned before, but I can't be bothered. I just wanna hear it again! :D

Matchbox - Buzz Buzz A Diddle It

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RnOKjC3RrB0

Written By: Philip Eno on 11/25/16 at 8:54 pm

"Woman in Love" is a song performed by Barbra Streisand and taken from her 1980 album, Guilty. The song was written by Barry and Robin Gibb of the Bee Gees, who received the 1980 Ivor Novello award for Best Song Musically and Lyrically. It is her fourth of four Platinum records, and is considered her greatest international hit.

0KJ60uJZ3-Q

Written By: AL-B Mk. III on 12/04/16 at 4:03 am

Olivia Newton-John - Magic

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jj5vagsGC38

(Yeah I know this is a repeat but damn, ONJ was hot back in the day.  ;))

Written By: Philip Eno on 11/11/17 at 1:59 pm

Captain Beaky & His Band (Not Forgetting Hissing Sid!!!), commonly shortened to Captain Beaky & His Band or Captain Beaky, is the title of two albums (volumes 1 and 2) of poetry by Jeremy Lloyd set to music by Jim Parker and recited by various British celebrities. The albums generated two books of poetry, BBC television shows, a West End musical, a pantomime (Captain Beaky and His Musical Christmas performed by Twiggy, Eleanor Bron, Keith Michell and Jeremy Lloyd at the Apollo Victoria Theatre, London, in December 1981), performances by the National Youth Ballet of Great Britain and a gala in aid of UNICEF performed by Roger Moore, Joanna Lumley, Jeremy Lloyd and the National Youth Ballet at the Royal Albert Hall, London, in December 2011. The first album was released on vinyl in 1977 and the second in 1980. Both were rereleased on compact disc in 2002. Captain Beaky's band consist of Timid Toad, Reckless Rat, Artful Owl and Batty Bat. The title track from the first album, "Captain Beaky", was released as a 7 inch single with "Wilfred the Weasel" and "Blanche" on the B-side by Polydor in 1980; it reached Number 5 in the UK pop charts. The song, sung by Keith Michell.

8r2mPdsPqrw

Written By: Philip Eno on 10/24/18 at 2:41 am

"Could You Be Loved" is a song by Jamaican reggae band Bob Marley and the Wailers. It was released in 1980 on their last album Uprising and is included on Bob Marley & The Wailers greatest hits album Legend. It was written in 1979 on an aeroplane while The Wailers were experimenting on guitar.

Mm7muPjevik

Written By: cowboy on 02/02/19 at 3:55 am

Since we're talking about reggae, Raising My Family by Steve Kekana from 1980 was a big hit in Europe. It still gets played on oldies stations. I like the lyrics and the chorus is bitter-sweet (if you happen to live away from your family abroad) but also hopeful:
QIK7EXxxE6s

Written By: robby76 on 02/02/19 at 4:21 am

Since we're talking about reggae, Raising My Family by Steve Kekana from 1980 was a big hit in Europe.

That beginning must've inspired Bucks Fizz's "If You Can't Stand The Heat".

Written By: Philip Eno on 05/13/19 at 6:46 am

"What's Another Year" was Johnny Logan's first Eurovision Song Contest winner, achieving success in the 1980 edition of the Contest. This was Ireland's second Contest victory. Composed by Shay Healy, the song reached number one in the UK Singles Chart for two weeks in May.

-b3XTj5G_SA

Written By: Philip Eno on 03/05/20 at 7:24 am

"Happy Birthday" is a song written, produced and performed by Stevie Wonder for the Motown label. Wonder, a social activist, was one of the main figures in the campaign to have the birthday of Martin Luther King, Jr. become a national holiday, and created this single to make the cause known. The song was first released in September 1980 on Wonder's Hotter than July album. Released as a single, it was one of his most popular entries in the UK Singles Chart.

RcVZfJO01NI

Written By: c_keenan2001@hotmail.com on 03/07/20 at 7:00 pm

xv6oOxn1axw

Written By: Philip Eno on 04/20/20 at 1:23 am

"The Wayfaring Stranger" (also known as "Poor Wayfaring Stranger" or "I Am a Poor Wayfaring Stranger"), is a well-known American folk and gospel song likely originating in the early 19th century about a plaintive soul on the journey through life. As with most folk songs, many variations of the lyrics exist. Emmylou Harris covered the song on her 1980 album Roses in the Snow. Harris' version peaked at number 7 on the Billboard Hot Country Singles chart. It reached number 1 on the RPM Country Tracks chart in Canada.

LDZkg5_YSWc

Written By: Henk on 04/21/20 at 12:39 pm

Since we're talking about reggae, Raising My Family by Steve Kekana from 1980 was a big hit in Europe.

Well, not ALL of Europe, as it completely missed the Netherlands.

That beginning must've inspired Bucks Fizz's "If You Can't Stand The Heat".

I totally agree!

Now here's a song that made it to #1 in Dutch Top 40 in 1980 that you probably don't know.

Massada - Sajang E

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aRtMOvm1meI

Written By: Voiceofthe70s on 04/21/20 at 1:07 pm

"The Wayfaring Stranger" (also known as "Poor Wayfaring Stranger" or "I Am a Poor Wayfaring Stranger"), is a well-known American folk and gospel song likely originating in the early 19th century about a plaintive soul on the journey through life. As with most folk songs, many variations of the lyrics exist. Emmylou Harris covered the song on her 1980 album Roses in the Snow. Harris' version peaked at number 7 on the Billboard Hot Country Singles chart. It reached number 1 on the RPM Country Tracks chart in Canada.

Yes, many, many people have covered that song. I also particularly like the version by Joan Baez, from her 1969 album "David's Album". She recorded it in Nashville, so many pf the songs have a country feel.

Written By: Philip Eno on 04/21/20 at 1:11 pm

Yes, many, many people have covered that song. I also particularly like the version by Joan Baez, from her 1969 album "David's Album". She recorded it in Nashville, so many pf the songs have a country feel.
I have been hanuted by this song since seeing the Oscar Winning film "1917" which "Wayfaring Stranger" was featured in.

Written By: whistledog on 02/03/21 at 4:07 pm

Here's a nice little dance classic called Jump to the Beat by Stacy Lattisaw.  This made it to #3 in the UK and #1 on the US Dance chart

Vtq4PMJvSI0

Written By: whistledog on 02/03/21 at 4:19 pm

Here is a hold over from '79 by a British duo called Dollar.  It is a nice cover of The Beatles classic I Wanna Hold Your Hand that peaked in the UK Top 10 in early 1980.  Theresa Bazar, the female half of this group was born in Canada

nLWNB8iYImk

Written By: robby76 on 02/04/21 at 12:27 am

Here's a nice little dance classic called Jump to the Beat by Stacy Lattisaw.  This made it to #3 in the UK and #1 on the US Dance chart

Didn't realise she was so young when this came out. A mere 14 yrs of age!
I remember Dannii Minogue's 1991 version of "Jump To The Beat".

Written By: Howard on 02/04/21 at 4:54 am

Vtq4PMJvSI0

She also had other hits during The 1980's and one included Johnny Gill "Perfect Combination" in 1984.

Written By: Redhairkid on 02/04/21 at 7:20 am

I hate 'Jump To The Beat' with a vengeance.
1980 was when music started to go downhill.

Written By: whistledog on 02/04/21 at 4:25 pm

Didn't realise she was so young when this came out. A mere 14 yrs of age!
I remember Dannii Minogue's 1991 version of "Jump To The Beat".

Dang, I forgot Dannii covered it

Check for new replies or respond here...