inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: Sixteen Candles vs The Breakfast Club vs Pretty In Pink

Written By: the_jock on 10/02/13 at 4:42 am

I personally like Sixteen Candles better out of these three brat pack movies. I like everything about it. It's less sugary than Pretty In Pink, yet lighter and more upbeat than The Breakfast Club. Out of the three I put The Breakfast Club on second place and Pretty In Pink on distant third. TBC is more moody. Sam was more likeable than Andie. Andie was more selfish. And of all the males in those, I want to be like Jake Ryan - a cool and popular guy that also has a heart of gold, a red-headed girlfriend, a red sports car, and a lot of friends. Not your typical Hollywood popular jerk. :) What do you all think?

Subject: Re: Sixteen Candles vs The Breakfast Club vs Pretty In Pink

Written By: snozberries on 10/02/13 at 12:11 pm

The breakfast club will always be my #1
You didn't mention it but I liked Sime Kind of Wonderful way more than pretty in pink.
Then 16 candles
Then pretty in pink

Written By: ladybug316 on 10/02/13 at 5:55 pm

This is why I love you, Q.  All of those, listed in the exact same order for me too!  8)

Breakfast Club is the best of the bunch!

Written By: snozberries on 10/02/13 at 5:57 pm

This is why I love you, Q.  All of those, listed in the exact same order for me too!  8)

Breakfast Club is the best of the bunch!

8)

I'm just happy you've actually seen them all.  ;)

Written By: Howard on 10/02/13 at 7:16 pm

The Breakfast Club

Written By: ladybug316 on 10/02/13 at 7:40 pm

8)

I'm just happy you've actually seen them all.  ;)

Yes, and Weird Science, too but I hate that movie.

Written By: 2kidsami on 10/02/13 at 7:52 pm

I love Some Kind of Wonderful!!!!  I also love weird science!  And mannequin!  And my all time fave St. Elmo's Fire!  As well as Better off Dead!

Written By: Howard on 10/02/13 at 7:53 pm

Why?

Written By: apollonia1986 on 10/02/13 at 8:59 pm

Sixteen Candles--"No More Yanky my Wanky, the Donger need food!"

With Breakfast Club as a close second. The first two pictures, I could totally see myself in.

Pretty in Pink Was a Film I couldn't get behind. Namely because Andie abandoned Duckie and I would have been all over Duckie.  I couldn't see myself in it like I did with the others.

Written By: ladybug316 on 10/02/13 at 9:21 pm

I love Some Kind of Wonderful!!!!  I also love weird science!  And mannequin!  And my all time fave St. Elmo's Fire!  As well as Better off Dead!

Ha!  Better Off Dead!  "People throwing away a perfectly good white boy"  ;D

Written By: ladybug316 on 10/02/13 at 9:22 pm

Why?

It was just not funny to me!

Written By: whistledog on 10/02/13 at 9:35 pm

I would also agree that The Breakfast Club is the best of the bunch, and anyone who disagrees, I have just one thing to say ...

SHUT YOUR HOLE WANG CHUNG!
http://img190.imageshack.us/img190/6640/20080129bushprincipal.jpg

:D

As well as Better off Dead!

I WANT MY TWO DOLLARS!

Written By: 2kidsami on 10/02/13 at 9:53 pm

Ha!  Better Off Dead!  "People throwing away a perfectly good white boy"  ;D
precisely!!!

Written By: 2kidsami on 10/02/13 at 9:54 pm

I WANT MY TWO DOLLARS!
you got the movie!!!! 

Written By: snozberries on 10/02/13 at 10:39 pm

Ha ha. I actually liked weird science but I wouldn't put it high on the list.

Written By: snozberries on 10/02/13 at 10:40 pm

Sixteen Candles--"No More Yanky my Wanky, the Donger need food!"

With Breakfast Club as a close second. The first two pictures, I could totally see myself in.

Pretty in Pink Was a Film I couldn't get behind. Namely because Andie abandoned Duckie and I would have been all over Duckie.  I couldn't see myself in it like I did with the others.

Tif.  Based on your assessment of PiP I think you might like Some Kind of Wonderful.

Written By: apollonia1986 on 10/02/13 at 11:24 pm

Tif.  Based on your assessment of PiP I think you might like Some Kind of Wonderful.

I have that film and don't like it. Once I realized Eric Stoltz was the kid from "Mask" all I could see was this:
http://dippedincream.com/wp-content/uploads/2010/03/eric_stoltz_mask.jpg

The Real Rocky Dennis.
http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/e/e3/RockyDennis.JPG

Written By: 80sfan on 10/02/13 at 11:48 pm

1. Sixteen Candles
2. The Breakfast Club
3. It was okay, but the energy of the film was kinda downy. I know that the girl had financial problems, but still, the movie was kinda depressing. I liked the film though, but I would rank other movies higher.

Written By: snozberries on 10/03/13 at 2:10 am

But Mannequin, St. Elmo's Fire and Better Off Dead aren't John Hughes films...  :P

Written By: snozberries on 10/03/13 at 2:12 am

I have that film and don't like it. Once I realized Eric Stoltz was the kid from "Mask" all I could see was this:

The Real Rocky Dennis.

I love Mask (also not a John Hughes film)  but I'm also able to separate Eric Stolz in Mask from the real....very handsome... Eric Stolz.

Written By: danootaandme on 10/03/13 at 3:59 am

I disliked all of those movies.

Written By: Howard on 10/03/13 at 7:00 am

you got the movie!!!!

Could you be able to watch it on Netflix?

Written By: Howard on 10/03/13 at 7:02 am

The Real Rocky Dennis.

I wonder how long they took to put that makeup on him to make him look deformed? ???

Written By: Howard on 10/03/13 at 7:16 am

Breakfast Candles
The Sixteen Club

Written By: 2kidsami on 10/03/13 at 8:23 am

But Mannequin, St. Elmo's Fire and Better Off Dead aren't John Hughes films...  :P
nope...  But they are brat pack from the era...  ;)

Written By: Starde on 10/03/13 at 12:16 pm

You didn't mention it but I liked Sime Kind of Wonderful way more than pretty in pink.
Then 16 candles
Then pretty in pink

I love Some Kind of Wonderful! It bugs me that a lot of people tend to forget about that movie. If I had to rank the big 3 Hughes films, it'd be:

1. Sixteen Candles
2. The Breakfast Club
3. Pretty in Pink

In terms of Brat Pack movies in general, St. Elmo's Fire is WAY up there.

Written By: snozberries on 10/03/13 at 1:18 pm

St Elmo's is (mostly) abrat pack cast film.
Better off dead is from the same era.
I don't think of John cusack as a brat packer even tho he was in a John Hughes film (16 candles)
All three films mentioned in the title of the thread are John Hughes films. (As are weird science and some kind of wonderful)

Written By: 2kidsami on 10/03/13 at 2:13 pm

St Elmo's is (mostly) abrat pack cast film.
Better off dead is from the same era.
I don't think of John cusack as a brat packer even tho he was in a John Hughes film (16 candles)
All three films mentioned in the title of the thread are John Hughes films. (As are weird science and some kind of wonderful)
well if we are going solely on John Hughes films then my all time favorite (excluding Christmas Vacay) has got to be Ferris Bueller's Day Off!!!!  It makes me laugh ever time!!! 

Written By: snozberries on 10/03/13 at 2:31 pm

well if we are going solely on John Hughes films then my all time favorite (excluding Christmas Vacay) has got to be Ferris Bueller's Day Off!!!!  It makes me laugh ever time!!!

I don't know if we are I just thought since the OP onlyentioned the Hughes coming-of-age films that that was the intent.    I always forget FBDO is a Hughes film.  I need to rewatch it and see if I like it any better as an adult.

Written By: Jake_Ryan on 10/04/13 at 7:03 am

Nothing personal, but i have to speak up! ;) I'm begging the moderator to remove some of the images from this thread. I'm sorry but I don't want to associate Sixteen Candles with disfigured people instead of associating it with a cute readhead girl, a boy every male wants to be like, a red Porsche and a cake. :)

Written By: snozberries on 10/04/13 at 7:26 am

Nothing personal, but i have to speak up! ;) I'm begging the moderator to remove some of the images from this thread. I'm sorry but I don't want to associate Sixteen Candles with disfigured people instead of associating it with a cute readhead girl, a boy every male wants to be like, a red Porsche and a cake. :)

Actually she was associating Some Kind of Wonderful with the images of Rocky Dennis since Eric Stolz (who played Rocky Dennis) was the lead in Some Kind of Wonderful. 

The pics werent at all associated with 16 candles

Written By: warped on 10/04/13 at 7:31 am

Then 16 candles
Then pretty in pink

Yeh, same order for me.

Breakfast Club was fantastic.

Written By: Jake_Ryan on 10/04/13 at 8:42 am

Actually she was associating Some Kind of Wonderful with the images of Rocky Dennis since Eric Stolz (who played Rocky Dennis) was the lead in Some Kind of Wonderful. 

The pics werent at all associated with 16 candles

Yeah, I know that. But it's still too much for a thread about light entertainment. I guess Eric hates that role because nowadays more people think about it when they hear his name instead of Keith from SKOW or some other part he took. No wonder he went low-profile. I just think that threads about teen movies should be filled with lighter stuff and images, you know. Not ones that make a person sad. It's not that I cannot get the connections and where people here are coming from. ;)

Written By: 2kidsami on 10/04/13 at 12:36 pm

Yeah, I know that. But it's still too much for a thread about light entertainment. I guess Eric hates that role because nowadays more people think about it when they hear his name instead of Keith from SKOW or some other part he took. No wonder he went low-profile. I just think that threads about teen movies should be filled with lighter stuff and images, you know. Not ones that make a person sad. It's not that I cannot get the connections and where people here are coming from. ;)
but Mask was a teen movie! 

No teen movie is really happy and light..  Really Molly Ringwald being forced upon by a drunk jerk...  Ally Sheedy in Breakfast club talking about suicide, or Emilio talking of hazing a little freshman student...  Not really light hearted stuff!  But maybe I am just looking at it from a high school teachers point of view!  We all differ, that's what make the boards work!

Written By: Howard on 10/04/13 at 3:05 pm

and they were from the 80's.

Written By: Howard on 10/04/13 at 3:06 pm

I love Ferris Bueller.

Written By: ladybug316 on 10/04/13 at 4:20 pm

Who said this thread was about light entertainment?  Breakfast Club is not "light entertainment".  It deals with all of the issues teenagers go through:  Bullying, being an outcast, Bender's father was a mean drunk, etc.  Just because you put a winky face on things doesn't really lighten them up  ;)  See?

Written By: snozberries on 10/04/13 at 5:10 pm

Well sign up for an account and maybe the mod will think about it.

Even tho Mask wasn't a John Hughes film it was a coming of age story and totally fits the genre.
In fact your reaction is exactly why the movie was made. To get people to see beyond the "mask" and recognize the beautiful spirit that lied beneath it.

If you haven't seen the film I highly recommend it.

Eric Stolz should be proud of (and probably is) the work he did in mask. Better that than the stoner buddie w/ Anthony Edwards in Fast Times...

Btw 16 candles is a sad film masked by lame comedy. Molly ringwald is trapped in the most annoying family who neglects her on her birthday (and presumably every day of her life)

Pretty in pink is uber depressing. Is a class commentary and stupid Molly ringwald chooses a relationship that's destined to be full of misery and fail. I actually hate pretty in pink.

ETA: and what Sami & ladybug said.

Written By: Foo Bar on 10/04/13 at 11:51 pm

I don't know if we are I just thought since the OP onlyentioned the Hughes coming-of-age films that that was the intent.    I always forget FBDO is a Hughes film.  I need to rewatch it and see if I like it any better as an adult.

Since you've already seen the movie and remember it the way Hughes wrote it, read this: Ferris Bueller / Fight Club Theory, and then rewatch it.

Written By: ItsElle on 10/24/13 at 2:13 pm

I still love The Breakfast Club. lol. I watch it every few years or so.

Written By: snozberries on 11/08/13 at 10:05 pm

The Real Rocky Dennis.

I have to say this... and it's going to make you mad....but at least i didn't post it in your ask me thread....

how can you look at Rocky Dennis and be disturbed by what you see when he was born the way he was but you post pic after pic of MJ who chose to disfigure himself... I'm sorry but the MJ pics I find very disturbing... you have the right to post them but since you chose to make a comment about how you feel about Rocky I'm countering with my feelings on MJ. 

edited to add... the quoted post was made over a month ago and I'm still mad about the insensitivity.

Written By: warped on 11/08/13 at 10:12 pm

I have to say this... and it's going to make you mad....but at least i didn't post it in your ask me thread....

how can you look at Rocky Dennis and be disturbed by what you see when he was born the way he was but you post pic after pic of MJ who chose to disfigure himself... I'm sorry but the MJ pics I find very disturbing... you have the right to post them but since you chose to make a comment about how you feel about Rocky I'm countering with my feelings on MJ. 

edited to add... the quoted post was made over a month ago and I'm still mad about the insensitivity.

I'm glad you posted this, Q  Coz honestly..in the last 10 years or MJ's life, I found him pretty much the uggliest human on earth. I am very disturbed looking at any of his pics, so I chose not to. That's my choice.
I'd rather look at the guy from MASK than MJ, any day of the week.

That's just my opinion, and I damn well have a right to say it.  8)

Written By: snozberries on 11/08/13 at 10:16 pm

I'm glad you posted this, Q  Coz honestly..in the last 10 years or MJ's life, I found him pretty much the uggliest human on earth. I am very disturbed looking at any of his pics, so I chose not to. That's my choice.

I liken it to my zombie pics.... GDBD doesn't like them and I can appreciate that but I'm not changing them... actually now that halloween is over I probably will change them... the point is i'm not asking Tiff to stop posting pics of MJ because she has the right to post all she wants I just personally dislike the whole Rocky Dennis conversation.

Written By: warped on 11/08/13 at 10:19 pm

I liken it to my zombie pics.... GDBD doesn't like them and I can appreciate that but I'm not changing them... actually now that halloween is over I probably will change them... the point is i'm not asking Tiff to stop posting pics of MJ because she has the right to post all she wants I just personally dislike the whole Rocky Dennis conversation.

Oh, I totally get that. Sure she can post as many pics of him as she wants. It's an internet website, anyone can post anything they like, as long as if falls within the rules. No problem.
Yes, I disliked the Rocky Dennis conversation too.  :-[

Written By: 2kidsami on 11/08/13 at 10:33 pm

Rocky Dennis who lived gracefully with the horrible circumstances life dealt him!  His story was very motivational for me, he lived his life beyond the doctor's expectations! Beautiful story! 

Written By: Dagwood on 11/09/13 at 8:52 am

True.  Rocky had no choice in his disfigurement. 

Now I must go watch that movie again.  I love that movie.

Written By: ladybug316 on 11/09/13 at 9:15 am

I have never seen Mask  :-\\

Written By: Dagwood on 11/09/13 at 9:55 am

It is an awesome movie.  Tearjerker.  Also, it doesn't hurt that Sam Elliot is in it. :)

Written By: Howard on 11/09/13 at 3:15 pm

Rocky Dennis who lived gracefully with the horrible circumstances life dealt him!  His story was very motivational for me, he lived his life beyond the doctor's expectations! Beautiful story!

and it's sad that he died from that horrible disease.  :(

Written By: Rediscovery-101 on 11/10/13 at 1:35 am

Alright, guys and gals... Lets cut the crap here and get to the real meat and potatoes...
Assuming that the jock  is a guy, I think I can make a strong case that our boy STILL has the hots for the most beautiful ugly duckling ever to grace the big screen!  Hands down...she was freaking HOT and not just for that flaming red hair.

If, on the other hand, the jock is 'sans-member', then our poster probably has a strong personal correlation to the lives portrayed on-screen and would have had wall posters of jocks of the period rather than a poster of Miss Molly!

But I digress...  I think she was a good compliment to many of the other hot, young female actresses of the time...  Mia Sara, Jennifer Grey, Ally Sheedy, Lea Thompson, Carrie Fisher...  I could go on but you get the point.  Make a wish and blow out the candles...it's time to go go sleep...zzZZzzz

Written By: snozberries on 11/10/13 at 4:10 am

Get off your ass and watch one of the most heart warming & heart wrenching stories to come out of our decade.

Rocky was a better human being than ALL us.

Written By: snozberries on 11/10/13 at 4:12 am

Spoiler alert.

Written By: snozberries on 11/10/13 at 4:20 am

But I digress...  I think she was a good compliment to many of the other hot, young female actresses of the time...  Mia Sara, Jennifer Grey, Ally Sheedy, Lea Thompson, Carrie Fisher...  I could go on but you get the point.  Make a wish and blow out the candles...it's time to go go sleep...zzZZzzz

Ummmm.... Gold slave girl costume aside Carrie Fisher never played a teenager in an 80s flick so that's a bad comparison

Written By: ladybug316 on 11/10/13 at 10:46 am

Thanks for the spoiler, Howard  ;D

Written By: ladybug316 on 11/10/13 at 10:48 am

Spoiler alert.

Ohh, too late. I did not see your attempt at salvation!

Written By: Howard on 11/10/13 at 3:38 pm

Spoiler alert.

I knew you would do that.  ;D

Written By: Rediscovery-101 on 11/10/13 at 7:50 pm

For the snoz...

I never said 'teenager', did I?  I said 'Hot' and 'Young'.  Besides, if you factor in the 'prequels' she would have been 'younger'...touche

Still hot...still gorgeous...just sayin...

Hey Jock, wherever you are...thanks for the memories...

Check for new replies or respond here...