inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: Was New Wave/Romantics the soundtrack to deindustrialization?

Written By: safetynotguaranteed on 10/08/13 at 1:41 pm

It's often said that hip hop is the soundtrack to globalization, and psychedelic music the soundtrack to the hippie movement. Do you think new wave and synth pop were the soundtrack to the offshoring and automation of the blue collar economy and the desolation this caused starting in the late 70s and into the 80s and beyond?

I've noticed many of the new wave groups came from the Rust Belt and northern England, while the "glam" groups tended to come from places that were doing quite well in the 80s like California. New Wave music was largely about technological alienation and a sense of losing that human touch, and the disenfranchisement that generation born in the 50s/early 60s felt.

What do you think?

Subject: Re: Was New Wave/Romantics the soundtrack to deindustrialization?

Written By: whistledog on 10/08/13 at 2:55 pm

It's music.  Why not just listen, not analyze?

Written By: c_keenan2001@hotmail.com on 10/09/13 at 12:50 am

Well, I've been listening to new wave music for a while and I don't see how it could have killed off industry.  I think in a small way New Wave music improved what was already going on at that time.

Written By: yelimsexa on 10/09/13 at 10:29 am

IMO it represented the transition from the industrial to the information age. If playing real instruments were like typewriters, synthesizers and drum machines were like PCs. That said, you had songs such as Mr. Roboto that represents the automation of jobs that analog machines once provided. There were also many nuclear war songs that reflected the later stages of the Cold War. Some of the new synthesizers were made in Japan, where much of the new '80s technology also came from. Deindustrialization is more of a disco-era thing with its message to just party on but without the luxury of seeing the artists perform live.

Check for new replies or respond here...