inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: Morrissey's New Autobiography - "Autobiography"

Written By: gumbypiz on 10/18/13 at 1:22 am

Morrissey, the sad and prolifically wordy singer of all things depressing in life and love, has finally come out with a book and autobiography called “Autobiography” (clever name there Moz).

I actually know a printer who got a copy of this a few months back, a paste script they call it, and, dumb as I was, I actually read a good (or is that a “bad”) portion of this book. I didn't think they'd actually go to print with it, it was too embarrassing a story of a old, egotistic former singer trying to hold on to former glory.

Well, this is what I found out reading Steven Patrick Morrissey’s telling of his life (if you have a few seconds to spare), he is gay (wow, that’s a revelation, huh? NEVER would have thought that), he is spiteful and holds grudges (I’m sure any one of his Smiths band mates could tell you some stories from the studio confirming that), borderline racist and misogynist (the Nazi outfits and swastikas didn’t really give me a clue about that), selfish and, get this (spoiler here) DEPRESSED. No s**t. Really?

Sorry, I know I’m being just a bit facetious here, but as a teen in high school, I made the mistake of putting WAYY too much faith & time into what this mans lyrics in Smith’s songs. As a slightly shy (not anymore, I assure you) overweight black guy in high school, I got plenty of s**t for listening to the Smiths and defending the band and the lyricist.

As I grew and got older and experienced life, every day was not so silent and grey (as every Sunday) as Morrissey described life to be and I kind of grew to resent that I had spent so much of my time and psyche listening to what he said, and this book bares out my fears.

I still love the Smiths music though; Johnny Marr was, and still is a wizard musician and songwriter.

Maybe it’s just me, but is there anyone else out there that has this bittersweet association with the Smiths and Morrissey antics? Have you had this type of feeling with any other band or music artist before? Are you going to pay $ to read the book?

Subject: Re: Morrissey's New Autobiography - "Autobiography"

Written By: Paul on 10/18/13 at 4:51 am

It was only a matter of time before Moz took the bait of filthy lucre...

The Smiths made some good stuff in their day, but they (and Moz) are certainly not deserving of 'God-like' status...

Maybe it’s just me, but is there anyone else out there that has this bittersweet association with the Smiths and Morrissey antics? Have you had this type of feeling with any other band or music artist before? Are you going to pay $ to read the book?

In short...no, no and I've better things to do with my hard-earned!

Written By: whistledog on 10/18/13 at 6:56 pm

A better title for Moz's autobiography?

Bigmouth Strikes Again (come on, it's the obvious choice lol)

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 10/19/13 at 10:48 pm

I was the biggest Smitty in high school, but I never thought Moz was a nice guy.  I was so angry, I liked songs written by mean guys.  Mean gay guys (even though I was straight).  Marc Almond was another favorite of mine!
:)

I'll read Moz's bio.  I read Al Jourgensen's bio.  The man was FOS, but it was still lots of fun!

Written By: Foo Bar on 10/20/13 at 1:32 am

Maybe it’s just me, but is there anyone else out there that has this bittersweet association with the Smiths and Morrissey antics?

The most bittersweet moment I had was a few weeks after I'd first heard it and realized the line was "I am the son and the heir..." not "I am the sun and the earth", which doesn't even make sense.  Man, did I feel like a dork.  Then again, I was a dork, so I shouldn't feel bitter about that.  Still am one, come to think of it.

I guess what I'm trying to say is that crazy people make the best music, and part of enjoying music means looking past the politics and just appreciating the talent for what it is/was.

Check for new replies or respond here...