inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: Why aren't there as many 80s cars becoming collectible compared to earlier cars?

Written By: yelimsexa on 10/28/13 at 7:49 am

You watch a bunch of music videos from the '80s/early '90s, you'll notice quite frequently a classic car from the '50s or '60s is featured. Today those decades (and to a lesser degree the '70s) remain quite collectible for cars combining their "they don't make them like this anymore" aspect, and exceptionally rare cars can fetch over a million. Many '80s Toys are taking off in value just as quickly as those from the '50s did back in the '80s, as are other goods ranging from fashion to magazines to concert memorabilia. But when it comes to cars from the '80s, save for a select few like the DMC Delorean, most of these cars (even many luxury models and even limos) cost considerably less today then when they were new, even BEFORE adjusting for inflation! I feel that not too far in the future, it will be easier to see a car from the '50s or '60s compared to one from the '80s on the road or at a parade! It's a shame since for example a 1985 Chevrolet Caprice is only worth around $1500 today, whereas the equivalent  '57 Chevy was worth well over $10000 in 1985. While there is definately some slight upward momentum in the value of some '80s cars, especially the sportier cars and coupes, what do you feel is holding back their collectors' value?

That said, I feel that the cars featured in this video are my best bets for collecting.
XRCfvDkG3dM

Subject: Re: Why aren't there as many 80s cars becoming collectible compared to earlier cars?

Written By: 80sfan on 10/28/13 at 9:34 am

I hate to admit it, but 80s cars were kinda unattractive.

However, I do see cars from the 00s and 10s being classics in the future though, I mean those cars are beautifull!!

Subject: Re: Why aren't there as many 80s cars becoming collectible compared to earlier cars?

Written By: Michael Dulin on 11/05/13 at 6:16 pm

I actually really like the boxy look, I think it fits an urban environment better. Cars from the 2000s and 2010s are cheap looking and their roundness contrasts in an ugly way with the surroundings. 1990s cars are the worst of both worlds, though.  ;D

Written By: Doc Brown on 12/09/13 at 7:33 pm

The 80's cars most likely to become collectible are probably the most often seen on TV or the movies. Trouble is, they will most likely be the most expensive and hard to find, particularly the Ferraris! (Red for Magnum, Black/White for Crockett).
Even worse, with GM forced to shut down their Pontiac and Saturn divisions in the recession, their classics will be even harder to acquire(especially the black Trans Am popularized by Knight Rider). Probably the most famous car of the 80's is my DeLorean Motor Car, and anyone who wants to buy one can borrow mine to go back to 1985, but good luck getting it here to the 21st Century!
At least for other GM fans, there's always the "Pink Cadillac" and "Little Red Corvette"!

Your Pal,
Doc

8)

Written By: Dagwood on 12/10/13 at 9:57 pm

I hate to admit it, but 80s cars were kinda unattractive.

This was the first thing that came to my mind as well.  Not quite so well put, though.  It was that they are ugly as heck. ;D

Written By: 80sfan on 12/11/13 at 12:17 am

This was the first thing that came to my mind as well.  Not quite so well put, though.  It was that they are ugly as heck. ;D

Honest, aren't we?

https://encrypted-tbn2.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcRzXmXaFzfCCmuaBdjEoX06txKGJlPaV2BrEV7U0nWeOlsdrffdIA

Check for new replies or respond here...