inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: 1987 Vietnamese Madonna-wannabe

Written By: 80sfan on 11/14/13 at 11:57 pm

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TzTMsZmjEs8&list=PL7821DBEA5B3AC682

I'm about 90% sure she's inspired by Madonna in this video circa 1985/1986 Madonna.

Subject: Re: 1987 Vietnamese Madonna-wannabe

Written By: 80sfan on 11/14/13 at 11:59 pm

Here's a 1988 one.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_zSB8o_8P0A

Written By: Howard on 11/15/13 at 3:22 pm

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TzTMsZmjEs8&list=PL7821DBEA5B3AC682

I'm about 90% sure she's inspired by Madonna in this video circa 1985/1986 Madonna.

Wow, that's neat. :)

But how come she's not singing in her native language?  ???

Written By: 80sfan on 11/15/13 at 5:55 pm

Wow, that's neat. :)

But how come she's not singing in her native language?  ???

Her name is Linda Trang Dai, she was known as the Vietnamese Madonna. I'm sure some parents didn't like her much, LOL. She was born October 1967 so she was about 19 or 20 in 1987.

As for her native language, she didn't speak it sometimes because she wanted to attract young teenage audiences Vietnamese and white alike.

Written By: danootaandme on 11/16/13 at 5:55 am

I've always hated the term wannabe.....just saying

Written By: 80sfan on 11/16/13 at 2:03 pm

I've always hated the term wannabe.....just saying

She was inspired by Madge in the first one, but the second one she wasn't.

As for the word wannabe, words only have power if you give them any.

Written By: Howard on 11/16/13 at 3:13 pm

Her name is Linda Trang Dai, she was known as the Vietnamese Madonna. I'm sure some parents didn't like her much, LOL. She was born October 1967 so she was about 19 or 20 in 1987.

As for her native language, she didn't speak it sometimes because she wanted to attract young teenage audiences Vietnamese and white alike.

Did she have a music or film career like Madonna did? ???

Written By: 80sfan on 11/16/13 at 8:56 pm

Did she have a music or film career like Madonna did? ???

Her career started either in 1986 or 1987. In the Vietnamese world I guess you could say she's lasted a lonnng time. I'd say she's more like Janet Jackson than the Material girl. But of course, she was her own person in the end.

Written By: danootaandme on 11/18/13 at 5:12 am

She was inspired by Madge in the first one, but the second one she wasn't.

As for the word wannabe, words only have power if you give them any.

No, words do have power.  Take, for instance, the Gettysburg address.

Written By: 80sfan on 11/18/13 at 9:54 am

No, words do have power.  Take, for instance, the Gettysburg address.

We're getting into a philosophical debate now (I think). It depends I guess. Some people like Abraham Lincoln, are great with words, and can touch people because he/she knows how to arrange and put words in order to make your heart tremble (for good or ill, for the ill part think Adolf Hitler). A lot of people however can't write as good (I may be included in this category) and our words are neutral to most people or boring. At the most extreme some people are terribly touchy (not you Danoota&Me) and EVERYTHING offends them. There's nothing worse than a self-righteous person who can't see someone else's point of view, 'Everyone's wrong, everyone's terrible people, everything hurts'. These people just find the most small inkling of wrong in people just so they can get compassion or play the victim.

You're 100% right, words do have power. I guess that's one way of looking at it. For example, if someone wrote 'Loser' in front of my locker (in high school) with spray paint once, I wouldn't feel bad. But if they did it everyday, three times a day, for the next six months? My self esteem and ego would take a huge hit.

I guess my point is you're right, but I'm not exactly wrong either. If someone called me the c word for Asian people once, I'd be offended but not down (in this case the word has no power over me and in this case 80sfan is right. But rub it in my face every minute of every day? Then I'm going down. In this instance you're right.

Written By: danootaandme on 11/18/13 at 11:30 am

We're getting into a philosophical debate now (I think). It depends I guess. Some people like Abraham Lincoln, are great with words, and can touch people because he/she knows how to arrange and put words in order to make your heart tremble (for good or ill, for the ill part think Adolf Hitler). A lot of people however can't write as good (I may be included in this category) and our words are neutral to most people or boring. At the most extreme some people are terribly touchy (not you Danoota&Me) and EVERYTHING offends them. There's nothing worse than a self-righteous person who can't see someone else's point of view, 'Everyone's wrong, everyone's terrible people, everything hurts'. These people just find the most small inkling of wrong in people just so they can get compassion or play the victim.

You're 100% right, words do have power. I guess that's one way of looking at it. For example, if someone wrote 'Loser' in front of my locker (in high school) with spray paint once, I wouldn't feel bad. But if they did it everyday, three times a day, for the next six months? My self esteem and ego would take a huge hit.

I guess my point is you're right, but I'm not exactly wrong either. If someone called me the c word for Asian people once, I'd be offended but not down (in this case the word has no power over me and in this case 80sfan is right. But rub it in my face every minute of every day? Then I'm going down. In this instance you're right.

We are both right.  Words have the power that is given to them, but it can take a lot of fortitude to combat words for they can bring a hurt that lasts longer than a physical pain.

"It's only words, and words are all I have........."

Written By: 80sfan on 11/18/13 at 11:39 am

We are both right.  Words have the power that is given to them, but it can take a lot of fortitude to combat words for they can bring a hurt that lasts longer than a physical pain.

"It's only words, and words are all I have........."

Who said that? I think I heard it before!

Written By: danootaandme on 11/18/13 at 1:58 pm

...to take your heart away 

Written By: warped on 11/18/13 at 2:13 pm

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sr-WW5abcwQ

Written By: 80sfan on 11/18/13 at 11:31 pm

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sr-WW5abcwQ

That's just grrrooooovy! Is that what you kids say these days??  ;D

Written By: aja675 on 11/19/13 at 5:37 am

Her career started either in 1986 or 1987. In the Vietnamese world I guess you could say she's lasted a lonnng time. I'd say she's more like Janet Jackson than the Material girl. But of course, she was her own person in the end.

Is she still famous nowadays?

Written By: Howard on 11/19/13 at 7:36 am

and has she ever been to The United States?

Written By: 80sfan on 11/19/13 at 9:10 am

In the Vietnamese community in a way she is. She's definitely a veteran and looks 10 years younger than being in her 40s. She was a lot more popular in the late 80s and 90s though. She didn't really become popular until 1986 or 1987 (my guess is more likely 1987). 

Written By: 80sfan on 11/19/13 at 9:13 am

and has she ever been to The United States?

Yup, many times!! I'm unsure, but I think she lives in the United States too.

Written By: Howard on 11/19/13 at 3:22 pm

Yup, many times!! I'm unsure, but I think she lives in the United States too.

and she toured Madison Square Garden?

Check for new replies or respond here...