inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: Do You Consider Bands Like Duran Duran To Be Boy Bands?

Written By: c_keenan2001@hotmail.com on 01/18/14 at 11:48 am

:)  Since it was suggested in another thread I thought I might put this question to a vote.  :) I do consider Duran Duran to be a boy band simply because of how old they were when they started, late teens - early twenties, and the demographics of their fan base which was 16-20 year old females. :)

Subject: Re: Do You Consider Bands Like Duran Duran To Be Boy Bands?

Written By: Philip Eno on 01/18/14 at 11:56 am

Duran Duran are a rock band for they play musical instruments.

Boy bands are vocal groups that do not play musical instruments, i.e. (among many)  Boyzone, Westlife, Take That, Backstreet Boys and The Osmonds.

Therefore, the answer is no.

Written By: AL-B Mk. III on 01/18/14 at 12:11 pm

Boy bands are vocal groups that do not play musical instruments, i.e. (among many)  Boyzone, Westlife, Take That, Backstreet Boys and The Osmonds.

I agree. In addition, boy bands tend to be put together by producers and/or managers who have a concept and hold auditions for the individual members. The producers then carefully craft the image of the group, use outside songwriters for their material, and employ session musicians to record the music. Members of boy bands tend to have little to no actual input in the overall creative process, besides the vocals.

Duran Duran, on the other hand, were already skilled musicians who decided to form a group on their own and wrote and played their own music.

Written By: c_keenan2001@hotmail.com on 01/18/14 at 12:47 pm

You can still be good at what you do and still have managers that tell you which way to piss?

That's some of what happened to DD when two of the three Taylors left.  One couldn't get his head around their fame, had a breakdown, and quit and the other just didn't like the teenybopper image.

Written By: Dagwood on 01/18/14 at 1:22 pm

I said it in the other thread and I will say it here since this is a more fitting place....no.  they were too old to be a boy band.  Also Philip's answer works for me as well. 

Written By: c_keenan2001@hotmail.com on 01/18/14 at 2:05 pm

Well they were to me.  They were young when they started in 1981

Nick Rhodes: 19
Andy Taylor: 20
John Taylor and Roger Taylor: 21
Simon Le Bon: 23.

Yes they wrote their own songs, played their own instruments, and sung their own songs.

Written By: loki 13 on 01/18/14 at 2:36 pm

I have to agree with Philip.

Using age as a criteria wouldn't Def Leppard  qualify, their ages ranged from 17 to 23 and had an average age of 19.5?
The Beatles were young when they formed, George Harrison was 14 when he auditioned. Many bands of the 60's through
80's were formed by friends in High Schools.

I don't think age of the band nor the fan demographic are the only defining factors of the Boy Band. A short lived act
of good looking, thrown together youths by seedy managers to milk the cash cow for a few years is a defining factor.

Written By: Howard on 01/18/14 at 3:24 pm

I agree, Duran Duran was a rock band.

Written By: warped on 01/18/14 at 4:04 pm

Duran Duran was a new wave rock band. I agree with what Philip, loki, Dag and Al have said.

I was well into University when they appeared on the scene in late 1982 or very early 1983. They were a popular band among people there (age group between 20 & 25 years old)

I got lost of requests to play their songs (when I was DJing at University.)  I think only Zeppelin, The Stones, Beatles, Police and Phil Collins got more requests or were talked about more than Duran Duran between 1982 and 1985, at UofT (Toronto)

I was never really fond of them, but I grew to like their music later on.

Written By: whistledog on 01/18/14 at 5:07 pm

You can still be good at what you do and still have managers that tell you which way to piss?

That's some of what happened to DD when two of the three Taylors left.  One couldn't get his head around their fame, had a breakdown, and quit and the other just didn't like the teenybopper image.

Age doesn't really have a factor when it comes to Boy Bands.  If Duran Duran were a boy band, does that make groups like the Rolling Stones a man band?

Yes they wrote their own songs, played their own instruments, and sung their own songs.

Simon Le Bon is the same age as Bruce Dickinson.  Using that same theory, that means Iron Maiden were a boy band as well, and I don't think heavy metal fans would take too well to that lol 

Written By: c_keenan2001@hotmail.com on 01/18/14 at 5:37 pm

Age doesn't really have a factor when it comes to Boy Bands.  If Duran Duran were a boy band, does that make groups like the Rolling Stones a man band?

Simon Le Bon is the same age as Bruce Dickinson.  Using that same theory, that means Iron Maiden were a boy band as well, and I don't think heavy metal fans would take too well to that lol

That's probably true.  :) Rock fans take Iron Maiden as seriously as pop fans take Duran Duran.  :)

Written By: Foo Bar on 01/19/14 at 1:40 am

I agree. In addition, boy bands tend to be put together by producers and/or managers who have a concept and hold auditions for the individual members. The producers then carefully craft the image of the group, use outside songwriters for their material, and employ session musicians to record the music. Members of boy bands tend to have little to no actual input in the overall creative process, besides the vocals.

Duran Duran, on the other hand, were already skilled musicians who decided to form a group on their own and wrote and played their own music.

Yeah, and on top of that, Duran Duran was part of the New Romantics subculture, which not only developed independently of any particular marketing campaign, it was pretty much the opposite of what tween girls were into.

Written By: robby76 on 01/19/14 at 3:27 am

Another 'no' vote. Boybands are usually associated with throwaway pop music. DD were a little more credible - and yes played their own instruments etc.

Written By: Katluver on 01/19/14 at 2:16 pm

They are sure nice to look at in their videos.  :D
Yet they are too talented to be considered a "boy band".

Written By: Howard on 01/19/14 at 3:57 pm

More like "The Rolling Bones"  :D

Written By: c_keenan2001@hotmail.com on 01/19/14 at 4:44 pm

e3W6yf6c-FA 6Uxc9eFcZyM

They did have some sloshy songs that did appeal to the pre-teen set.  I was almost 11 when Notorious was released.  :) :)

m3a4OTh2Y8w  oOg5VxrRTi0

Written By: warped on 01/20/14 at 6:12 am

Another 'no' vote. Boybands are usually associated with throwaway pop music.

"throwaway pop music" ...perfect description of boy bands.

They did have some sloshy songs that did appeal to the pre-teen set.  I was almost 11 when Notorious was released.  :) :)

These are the same songs that were popular among the 20 to 25 year-olds I knew in University.

Written By: Howard on 01/20/14 at 6:46 am

They did have some sloshy songs that did appeal to the pre-teen set.  I was almost 11 when Notorious was released

And they were popular with the teenage girls.

Written By: Dagwood on 01/20/14 at 9:21 am

e3W6yf6c-FA 6Uxc9eFcZyM

m3a4OTh2Y8w  oOg5VxrRTi0

Please tell me you aren't comparing these songs to the likes of "Bye, Bye, Bye" or "The Right Stuff"...

Written By: c_keenan2001@hotmail.com on 01/20/14 at 2:12 pm

Please tell me you aren't comparing these songs to the likes of "Bye, Bye, Bye" or "The Right Stuff"...

No.  I'm just saying that some of their songs were pretty sloshy.  :)

Written By: ladybug316 on 01/20/14 at 10:24 pm

I don't know what the hell "sloshy" means but I'm with everyone else.  God, no, Duran Duran was not a "boy" band.    For all the reasons others listed AND because they didn't have any ridiculously choreographed dancing!     

Written By: c_keenan2001@hotmail.com on 01/20/14 at 10:30 pm

I don't know what the hell "sloshy" means but I'm with everyone else.  God, no, Duran Duran was not a "boy" band.    For all the reasons others listed AND because they didn't have any ridiculously choreographed dancing!   

Sloshy means liquidy or syrupy.

Written By: ladybug316 on 01/20/14 at 10:49 pm

Sloshy means liquidy or syrupy.

I don't agree with that at all, then.  I think they were more "sophisticated", if you will, than what I consider boy band songs.

Written By: c_keenan2001@hotmail.com on 01/21/14 at 12:43 am

I don't agree with that at all, then.  I think they were more "sophisticated", if you will, than what I consider boy band songs.

You saw me standing by the wall
corner of a main street
and the light is flashing on
the windowsill

All alone ain't much fun
so you're looking for the
thrill and you know
just what it takes
and where to go

Don't say a prayer for me now
save it till the morning after
no don't say a prayer for me now
save it till the morning after.

I dunno ladybug?  That sounds pretty schmaltzy and sloshy to me. ::)

Written By: snozberries on 01/21/14 at 5:16 am

I agree with ladybug. Choreographed dance moves is a signature of boy bands that Duran Duran doesn't utilize.
You are listening to to songs with a different mindset. They sound über 80s but I wouldn't  necessarily classify them as sloshy ( or whatever)

Written By: Howard on 01/21/14 at 7:24 am

But their videos were excellent.

Written By: whistledog on 01/21/14 at 8:01 am

But their videos were excellent.

Apparently you missed the one for 'The Reflex'.  They went big with an animated tidal wave going out to the audience, which ended up looking like someone poured a bucket of water instead

Written By: Paul on 01/21/14 at 2:55 pm

Apparently you missed the one for 'The Reflex'.  They went big with an animated tidal wave going out to the audience, which ended up looking like someone poured a bucket of water instead

The follow-up to that ('Wild Boys') always made me laugh - at the time it was proudly boasted as being the most pricey music video up 'til then (yes, beating 'Thriller', apparently!)

They could have slashed the bill simply by hiring myself to hold SLB upside down in a tank of water - problem being, I'd have probably left him there!

But that was them at the top of their game, so I suppose excess was allowed. It all went a bit pear-shaped when Simon's voice went 'somewhere' during the Philadelphia Live Aid gig...oops!

Written By: Howard on 01/21/14 at 3:01 pm

The follow-up to that ('Wild Boys') always made me laugh - at the time it was proudly boasted as being the most pricey music video up 'til then (yes, beating 'Thriller', apparently!)

They could have slashed the bill simply by hiring myself to hold SLB upside down in a tank of water - problem being, I'd have probably left him there!

But that was them at the top of their game, so I suppose excess was allowed. It all went a bit pear-shaped when Simon's voice went 'somewhere' during the Philadelphia Live Aid gig...oops!

What about "Girls On Film"?  ???

Written By: ladybug316 on 01/21/14 at 3:02 pm

corner of a main street
the windowsill

All alone ain't much fun
thrill and you know
just what it takes
and where to go

I dunno ladybug?  That sounds pretty schmaltzy and sloshy to me. ::)

I still consider that more sophisticated than "You don't know you're beautiful" 8-P but to each his own.

Written By: Philip Eno on 01/21/14 at 3:04 pm

What about "Girls On Film"?  ???
Was that pop promo banned?

Written By: Howard on 01/21/14 at 4:02 pm

It had some nudity.

Written By: c_keenan2001@hotmail.com on 01/21/14 at 11:14 pm

I still consider that more sophisticated than "You don't know you're beautiful" 8-P but to each his own.

LOL! Fair enough.  :D

Written By: c_keenan2001@hotmail.com on 01/21/14 at 11:15 pm

Yes it was.  It was banned from the BBC and most every other music video station for nudity.

Written By: theeccentrist on 01/29/14 at 11:26 pm

In a way, but in another way no. The thing about Duran Duran is yes they were poster boys/teenage heartthrobs but they were also very talented musicians. Especially John Taylor!

Written By: Howard on 01/30/14 at 8:33 am

In a way, but in another way no. The thing about Duran Duran is yes they were poster boys/teenage heartthrobs but they were also very talented musicians. Especially John Taylor!

So shouldn't they just be called "Rock Bands"?

Written By: Philip Eno on 01/30/14 at 8:53 am

So shouldn't they just be called "Rock Bands"?

As in my (and the) first reply to this topic.

Written By: c_keenan2001@hotmail.com on 01/30/14 at 10:34 am

That was my inital thought.  They're a band of boys who write songs, play their own instruments, and look good in front of the camera.  :)

Written By: ladybug316 on 01/30/14 at 4:34 pm

You've contradicted your initial post wherein you say you consider Duran Duran to be a boy band.

Written By: c_keenan2001@hotmail.com on 01/30/14 at 8:59 pm

You've contradicted your initial post wherein you say you consider Duran Duran to be a boy band.

No I didn't.  I know that they were heart throbs back in the day and poster boys for the 80s generation.  :)

Written By: ladybug316 on 01/30/14 at 11:16 pm

:)  Since it was suggested in another thread I thought I might put this question to a vote.  :) I do consider Duran Duran to be a boy band simply because of how old they were when they started, late teens - early twenties, and the demographics of their fan base which was 16-20 year old females. :)

Up there!  You say it right up there!  "I do consider Duran Duran to be a boy band..."

I. Just. Cannot.

Written By: c_keenan2001@hotmail.com on 01/31/14 at 12:34 am

Up there!  You say it right up there!  "I do consider Duran Duran to be a boy band..."

I. Just. Cannot.

So? I consider Duran Duran to be a boy band.  A boy band doesn't have to not play their own instruments and not write their own songs.  :P

Written By: karen on 01/31/14 at 11:20 am

I voted no.  Not because they were too old but because they were a rock band.

Wikipedia doesn't think they're a boy band either.

"A boy band (or boyband) is loosely defined as a vocal group consisting of young male singers, usually in their teenage years or in their twenties at the time of formation. Being vocal groups, most boy band members do not play musical instruments, either in recording sessions or on stage, making the term something of a misnomer. However, exceptions do exist. Most boy bands dance as well as sing, usually giving highly choreographed performances"

Written By: Howard on 01/31/14 at 3:28 pm

So? I consider Duran Duran to be a boy band.  A boy band doesn't have to not play their own instruments and not write their own songs.  :P

You have a point there, a boy band can sometimes play without instruments.

Written By: ladybug316 on 01/31/14 at 3:43 pm

Of course they're a band of boys  ::)  Are you freakin' serious?  Maybe I'm missing a big piece of the puzzle that is you but I have to wonder if you actually read what you write?  You've contradicted yourself again.  I'm going to step out of this conversation because you are nonsensical and I hope only joking.

Written By: c_keenan2001@hotmail.com on 01/31/14 at 4:33 pm

Of course they're a band of boys  ::)  Are you freakin' serious?  Maybe I'm missing a big piece of the puzzle that is you but I have to wonder if you actually read what you write?  You've contradicted yourself again.  I'm going to step out of this conversation because you are nonsensical and I hope only joking.

Good.  Don't let the door hit your ass on the way out. ::)

Written By: whistledog on 01/31/14 at 5:40 pm

I can understand what ladybug is saying.  In the initial post, you said:

I do consider Duran Duran to be a boy band simply because of how old they were when they started, late teens - early twenties, and the demographics of their fan base which was 16-20 year old females

This same thing can be said about bands like Iron Maiden, Toto, Twisted Sister and even Tears for Fears.  Their demographic fan base though wasn't just the teens, but teens were listening. 

Plus, the term boy band didn't come about until the late 80s :P

Written By: c_keenan2001@hotmail.com on 01/31/14 at 7:38 pm

I can understand what ladybug is saying.  In the initial post, you said:

This same thing can be said about bands like Iron Maiden, Toto, Twisted Sister and even Tears for Fears.  Their demographic fan base though wasn't just the teens, but teens were listening. 

Plus, the term boy band didn't come about until the late 80s :P

Oh okay! :) Why didn't she say that instead of flaming me?

Written By: whistledog on 01/31/14 at 9:44 pm

Oh okay! :) Why didn't she say that instead of flaming me?

She tells it like it is:  You contradicted yourself with the wording of your posts, almost like you are undecided of an answer in your own topic's question that you basically answered within the question.  Now I am confused :D

Written By: warped on 01/31/14 at 10:27 pm

She tells it like it is:  You contradicted yourself with the wording of your posts, almost like you are undecided of an answer in your own topic's question that you basically answered within the question.  Now I am confused :D

This is how I saw it as well.

Written By: c_keenan2001@hotmail.com on 01/31/14 at 10:27 pm

But she didn't say that she was confused.  When she didn't understand what it was that I was trying to say and instead of asking me to clarify things for her she threw a tantrum and left.

I would have explained it to her if she had said that she was confused.

What I meant by Duran Duran is a band of boys is that they were young when they started. They were all under the age of 25.  There's nothing contradictory about that.

Written By: warped on 01/31/14 at 10:39 pm

But she didn't say that she was confused.  When she didn't understand what it was that I was trying to say and instead of asking me to clarify things for her she threw a tantrum and left.

What I meant by Duran Duran is a band of boys is that they were young when they started. They were all under the age of 25.  There's nothing contradictory about that.

But your original post says that Duran Duran is a boy band. And they are not. The statement you just said contradicts that. That us why we are all confused. Seems you have changed your mind from your original post. And by the way, you were quite rude to ladybug.

Written By: ladybug316 on 01/31/14 at 11:08 pm

I'm not confused at all by what you've said.  You've clearly contradicted yourself.  The fact that you don't even know you've done it, even after others have pointed it out, let's me know that you can't keep yourself straight.  Even your smote to me was "They're a band of boys"

And for the record, I did not throw a tantrum, I pointed out your inconsistencies but it seems even you cannot understand yourself, so I certainly can't explain you to you.  That is why I left, not yelling in a fit but shaking my head saying "Well, THAT was a waste of my time"

Written By: snozberries on 02/01/14 at 12:00 am

also....since no one has voted yes yet either she didn't take her own poll or she voted no or she had no opinion.

Written By: snozberries on 02/01/14 at 12:08 am

saying duran duran is a band of "boys" is the equivalent of having a friend who is a boy...that doesn't make him your boyfriend.... and it doesn't make Duran2 a boy band

Written By: Tam on 02/01/14 at 1:01 am

Actually, the band was formed in 1978...

e3W6yf6c-FA 6Uxc9eFcZyM
m3a4OTh2Y8w  oOg5VxrRTi0

Sloshy? You list 4 of their Most Recognizable songs, all of which were Top 20 charters in the UK, Canada and US, and you call them sloshy? I fear that you have no understanding of the band at all.

corner of a main street
the windowsill

All alone ain't much fun
thrill and you know
just what it takes
and where to go

I dunno ladybug?  That sounds pretty schmaltzy and sloshy to me.

No, it doesn't.
The song is real and it isn't candy coated. The lyrics are tantamount to the New Romantic Era.
Any DD fan should know this... Actually, as a Platinum Blonde fan... you should know this.

Turn in your fan card before you embarrass yourself further.

Written By: Howard on 02/01/14 at 3:24 pm

saying duran duran is a band of "boys" is the equivalent of having a friend who is a boy...that doesn't make him your boyfriend.... and it doesn't make Duran2 a boy band

So does that make The Bangles and The Go-Go's a "girl band"?

Written By: c_keenan2001@hotmail.com on 02/01/14 at 4:03 pm

Good point Howard.  :)

Written By: whistledog on 02/01/14 at 5:42 pm

Technically yes, though the official term is all-female band.  The equivalent of Boy Band for females is girl group.  A girl group is like Bananarama, Spice Girls, All Saints, B*witched:  They only sing, and play no instruments

Written By: snozberries on 02/01/14 at 11:58 pm

Most definitely not!!!  They are musicians and pretty damn good at it...

The equivalent of Boy Band for females is girl group.  A girl group is like Bananarama, Spice Girls, All Saints, B*witched:  They only sing, and play no instruments

^This!

Written By: Howard on 02/02/14 at 3:12 pm

Technically yes, though the official term is all-female band.  The equivalent of Boy Band for females is girl group.  A girl group is like Bananarama, Spice Girls, All Saints, B*witched:  They only sing, and play no instruments

Well, in the Bangles video "Walk Like An Egyptian", they played instruments like the tambourine.

Written By: Philip Eno on 02/02/14 at 3:17 pm

Well, in the Bangles video "Walk Like An Egyptian", they played instruments like the tambourine.
The Bangles play more than just a tambourine...

Current members
Susanna Hoffs – lead, backing and harmony vocals, rhythm guitar (1981–1989, 1999–present)
Debbi Peterson – lead, backing and harmony vocals, drums, tambourine, acoustic guitar, percussion (1981–1989, 1999–present)
Vicki Peterson – lead, backing and harmony vocals, lead guitar (1981–1989, 1999–present)
Abby Travis – bass guitar (2005–present)

Written By: Philip Eno on 02/02/14 at 3:32 pm

The Bangles play more than just a tambourine...

Current members
Susanna Hoffs – lead, backing and harmony vocals, rhythm guitar (1981–1989, 1999–present)
Debbi Peterson – lead, backing and harmony vocals, drums, tambourine, acoustic guitar, percussion (1981–1989, 1999–present)
Vicki Peterson – lead, backing and harmony vocals, lead guitar (1981–1989, 1999–present)
Abby Travis – bass guitar (2005–present)
I cannot place the video here for I am on the tablet.

Written By: whistledog on 02/02/14 at 7:13 pm

Yes, because they all played their own instruments.  This is not news

Written By: snozberries on 02/03/14 at 12:17 am

I don't think the tambourine is really an instrument howard... usually the least talented person is given the tambourine so they have something to do...  ;D

Written By: Howard on 02/03/14 at 6:29 am

I cannot place the video here for I am on the tablet.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Cv6tuzHUuuk

Written By: Howard on 02/03/14 at 6:32 am

I don't think the tambourine is really an instrument howard... usually the least talented person is given the tambourine so they have something to do...  ;D

Well if it's not a musical instrument then what is it?

Written By: snozberries on 02/03/14 at 6:38 am

Well if it's not a musical instrument then what is it?

It's a musical instrument that requires absolutely no talent to play.

Written By: Philip Eno on 02/03/14 at 6:39 am

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Cv6tuzHUuuk
Thank you, that was the video I wanted to display here and it does show The Bangles playing an array of musical instruments.

Written By: Philip Eno on 02/03/14 at 6:40 am

It's a musical instrument that requires absolutely no talent to play.

Like a triangle.

Written By: snozberries on 02/03/14 at 6:55 am

Like a triangle.

exactly... or the cymbals... I mean as long as you can count beats anyone can play the cymbals. lol

Written By: Philip Eno on 02/03/14 at 7:04 am

exactly... or the cymbals... I mean as long as you can count beats anyone can play the cymbals. lol

The cymbals can be quite loud and would be noticed if played wrongly, out of beat etc.

Written By: snozberries on 02/03/14 at 7:35 am

The cymbals can be quite loud and would be noticed if played wrongly, out of beat etc.

yes that's why they require the talent of counting beats.....no other talent required.

and if you can't play the cymbals you can always salute  ;D

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VhcfnyulQP4

Written By: Howard on 02/03/14 at 7:53 am

or the harp.

Written By: Philip Eno on 02/03/14 at 7:53 am

or the harp.
The harp takes years of learning to play.

Written By: Howard on 02/03/14 at 7:08 pm

yes that's why they require the talent of counting beats.....no other talent required.

and if you can't play the cymbals you can always salute  ;D

;D

Written By: c_keenan2001@hotmail.com on 02/03/14 at 7:19 pm

Okay guys I think I got my answer.  No Duran Duran isn't a boy band.  :)

No need to keep this going.  :)

Check for new replies or respond here...