inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: Favourite albums 1985

Written By: robby76 on 01/18/14 at 10:25 pm

1985 was the pinnacle of the 80s for me. Some stellar albums came out that year - and as an 8 going on 9 yr old, I was (and still am) well into my pop soul albums. As you can tell by the list I have a penchant for black family groups.

1. Five Star – Luxury Of Life
2. The Jets – The Jets (Crush On You UK)
3. Whitney Houston – Whitney Houston
4. Debarge – Rhythm of The Night
5. Pointer Sisters – Contact
6. Sister Sledge – When The Boys Meet The Girls
7. Miami Sound Machine – Primitive Love
8. Phil Collins – No Jacket Required

http://www.dustygroove.com/images/products/f/fivestar~~~_luxuryofl_101b.jpg

Subject: Re: Favourite albums 1985

Written By: gibbo on 01/19/14 at 4:43 pm

2 albums come to mind from that year (that I bought).

1. Be Yourselfe Tonight - Eurythmics
2. Brothers In Arms - Dire Straights

Written By: whistledog on 01/19/14 at 5:58 pm

I was 7 in 1985, so I never really had albums.  I just listened to what was on the radio, and some of the songs that I remember liking then, I now own the albums they appear on, which I started collecting in the late 90s. 

My favourite album of 1985 is A Secret Wish by Propaganda.  The single Duel received alot of radio play in Canada which helped the album peak at #72.  As our friends from Europe can tell you, this album was big and well loved!  It is a wonderful collection of synthpop songs

http://images.junostatic.com/full/CS1721088-02A-BIG.jpg

Another of my favourites was by Gino Vannelli.  Once a soft rock crooner, he went on hiatus in 1982 to re-brand his sound and image.  He returned on the new wave bandwagon with Black Cars and the end result was one of the most popular albums in Canada of 1985.  This was massive, I mean very very popular and the three singles that came from it (Black Cars, It Hurts to Be in Love, Just A Motion Away) are still heard on the radio to this day.  I was a fan of this!

http://eil.com/images/main/Gino%2BVannelli%2B-%2BBlack%2BCars%2B-%2BLP%2BRECORD-393078.jpg

Five Star – Luxury Of Life

I like this album alot.  It's a shame Five Star never took off here in North America

Speaking of British groups that went almost unknown over here, another pick for me is Misplaced Childhood by Marillion.  I could listen to the song Kayleigh all day! 

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/6/68/Marillion_misplacedchildhood.jpg

Written By: XYkid on 01/19/14 at 6:30 pm

My favourite album of 1985 would have to be Meat is Murder, from The Smiths...

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/thumb/b/b8/MeatMurder.jpg/220px-MeatMurder.jpg

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rIyXJxPFVz4

Written By: robby76 on 01/20/14 at 8:56 pm

That was a family favourite in the car - mainly due to my brother loving them!

Written By: warped on 01/20/14 at 9:02 pm

2 albums come to mind from that year (that I bought).

1. Be Yourselfe Tonight - Eurythmics

Same here, and I will add these two"
Tears for Fears - Songs from the big chair.
Heart -Heart.

Written By: robby76 on 01/20/14 at 9:10 pm

My favourite album of 1985 is A Secret Wish by Propaganda.  The single Duel received alot of radio play in Canada which helped the album peak at #72.  As our friends from Europe can tell you, this album was big and well loved!  It is a wonderful collection of synthpop songs.

Another of my favourites was by Gino Vannelli.  Once a soft rock crooner, he went on hiatus in 1982 to re-brand his sound and image.  He returned on the new wave bandwagon with Black Cars and the end result was one of the most popular albums in Canada of 1985.  This was massive, I mean very very popular and the three singles that came from it (Black Cars, It Hurts to Be in Love, Just A Motion Away) are still heard on the radio to this day.  I was a fan of this!

Speaking of British groups that went almost unknown over here, another pick for me is Misplaced Childhood by Marillion.  I could listen to the song Kayleigh all day! 

I'm watching a performance of Gino Vanelli's "Black Cars" and he seems to be the Canadian equivalent of Shakin Stevens from the UK. Well for that one song anyway - his moves were very Elvis inspired. Researching his only #1 from 1978 and I like it - my kinda music!

And yes I know "Duel" very well - probably subconsciously as that song was apparently used twice for UK tv programmes in the 80s.

"Kayleigh" needs no more mention - love it!

Written By: warped on 01/20/14 at 9:16 pm

"Kayleigh" needs no more mention - love it!

Agreed. I love Kayleigh too. It's 70s "Peter Gabriel Genesis" style done 80s style.  :D

Written By: c_keenan2001@hotmail.com on 01/26/14 at 2:47 pm

Loved Tears For Fears Songs From The Big Chair.  :) It's 29 years old next month>  :)

Written By: robby76 on 04/01/18 at 7:53 am

Any more with their favourites?

Written By: oingo_fan on 04/01/18 at 6:42 pm

Oingo Boingo, Dead Man's Party

Tears for Fears, Songs from the Big Chair

Clan of Xymox, Clan of Xymox (I LOVE the track "7th Time". 1:35 to 2:26 still gives me chills to this day...)
S4T-e8evGCw

Comsat Angels, 7 Day Weekend ("I'm falling" is on the "Real Genius" soundtrack.)
HI8u8YyY-E4
6J-0YWU2amE

Sisters of Mercy, First and Last and Always
0FhFMkd4u_U

Skinny Puppy, Bites
U5ulj3tut3o

Written By: robby76 on 04/01/18 at 8:02 pm

Comsat Angels, 7 Day Weekend ("I'm falling" is on the "Real Genius" soundtrack.)

I like this one. Wouldn't seem out of place if it was released in 2018 either. And thanks for inadvertently giving me a film suggestion to watch!

Written By: #Infinity on 04/01/18 at 10:12 pm

It's likely there are some holes, but here's my stab:

1. Kate Bush - Hounds of Love
2. Propaganda - A Secret Wish
3. Oingo Boingo - Dead Man's Party
4. Jane Wiedlin - Blue Kiss
5. Howard Jones - Dream into Action
6. Simple Minds - Once Upon a Time
7. Sting - The Dream of the Turtles
8. Heart - Heart
9. Pat Benatar - Seven the Hard Way
10. Level 42 - World Machine

Honourable Mentions:
* Tears for Fears - Songs from the Big Chair
* Laura Branigan - Hold Me
* Dire Straits - Brothers in Arms
* Thompson Twins - Here's the Future Days
* Prince and the Revolution - Around the World in a Day
* Soundtrack - Back to the Future

Written By: gibbo on 04/02/18 at 2:00 am

Yes, I also bought Sting's 'Dream of the Blue Turtles' album.  I remember thinking the blue coloured record was really cool.

I also bought Springsteen's album " Born in the USA" in 1985 ... but maybe I was buying it later than it's release (probably in 1984).  I think I went and bought it after I went to his concert in 1985.

Written By: whistledog on 04/02/18 at 10:16 pm

i just finished a playlist of every song to reach the Top 100 chart in Canada for 1985, and this is possibly my favourite year in the 80s for music.  A few more great albums from 1985 ...

Shock by The Motels.  It featured a fantastic Top 40 single called Shame
dgpkfq1tStY

Forward Your Emotions by One to One.  If you like 80s dance music, then this is for you! 
The album was released in 1985, and spawned three singles that all peaked here in Canada during 1986.  Here are two of them, the latter one reached the US chart ...

There was a time
NrCOWoYTdcI

Angel in my pocket
9uXIU6bn8Hk

Written By: robby76 on 04/02/18 at 10:21 pm

Angel in my pocket

I like this one! And always good to see you Whistle!

Written By: Dude111 on 04/13/18 at 10:16 am

Miami Sound Machine – Primitive Love

Written By: robby76 on 04/13/18 at 11:39 am

Miami Sound Machine – Primitive Love

Good choice. Tunes like this really encapsulate the feelgood mid-80s.

G-TfKHKbNys

Written By: Dude111 on 04/14/18 at 5:24 am

Yes I really love it that cassette/record is 100% analogue! (It was done on 1/2" tape and kept analog)

Spars code: AAA (On CD its AAD)

Written By: c_keenan2001@hotmail.com on 04/15/18 at 4:24 pm

CNbiF4Q41pU

Alien Shores Platinum Blonde.

Check for new replies or respond here...