inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: is "the Reagan Era" accurate to describe the '80s?

Written By: Miranda Borman on 03/01/14 at 4:40 pm

I've often seen "the Reagan era" or "Thatcher's Britain" used to describe the 1980s as a whole in either the U.S. or UK but is it accurate?

There was a lot more than politics going on, after all.

Subject: Re: is "the Reagan Era" accurate to describe the '80s?

Written By: warped on 03/01/14 at 5:13 pm

For me, I would describe "How I remember the 1980s decade" like this:

1) The cold war between the U.S and the USSR
2) Economic boom in North America

Written By: robby76 on 03/01/14 at 10:51 pm

Of course there was more going on - politics wasn't everyday life even though it touched more people than say a music artist / or a single tv show. Everyone no matter who you were knew the US president - but may not necessarily have known Madonna (for arguments sake). It all depends how you want to relate to that era and what subject you're talking about.

For a kid my age...

Reagan era - The Jets years
Thatcher's Britain - The Five Star years  :D

Written By: Paul on 03/02/14 at 8:18 am

I've often seen "the Reagan era" or "Thatcher's Britain" used to describe the 1980s as a whole in either the U.S. or UK but is it accurate?

Can't comment on the US, as I wasn't there - but the dates almost tie in ('81 - '89)

There was - but such was Thatch's grip upon things, that you sometimes had to wonder if there was anything else going on!

Written By: Howard on 03/02/14 at 3:06 pm

There was also the good old fashioned family sitcoms.

Written By: warped on 03/02/14 at 8:45 pm

There was also the good old fashioned family sitcoms.

Cosby Show, Family Ties. You like those, Howie?

Written By: 80sfan on 03/02/14 at 11:41 pm

Yes

Written By: gibbo on 03/03/14 at 12:58 am

John Lennon's assasination was a huge non-political happening.  I always think of this when the 80's are mentioned ... and the Cold War issues.

Written By: Howard on 03/03/14 at 6:30 am

Cosby Show, Family Ties. You like those, Howie?

Yep, stuff we grew up watching, you don't see those anymore.

Written By: 80sfan on 03/03/14 at 12:12 pm

Well, Reagan was president 8 out of the 10 years of the 80s, and in 1980 he was probably on the news a lot for the 1980 election. Referring to the 80s as the Reagan era isn't exactly wrong.

Written By: yelimsexa on 03/03/14 at 2:14 pm

For me, I would describe "How I remember the 1980s decade" like this:

1) The cold war between the U.S and the USSR
2) Economic boom in North America

There were other important political players of course during the 1980s:

The Iran-Iraq war was also a major part of the 1980s, lasting eight years and is notable as being Saddam Hussein's peak of popularity. As the decade ended, Iraq invaded Kuwait to launch the first Gulf War. Thankfully, this was just background news as Western involvement was minimal.

Despite the ongoing Cold War, the election of Gorbachev in 1985 is often cited as an important turning point in the Cold War that launched glasnost and perestroika. The first half of the '80s was clearly the scariest moment in the Cold War, rivaling or exceeding the 1950s in tension.

In China, the 1980s were dominated by Deng Xiaoping and was the basis for launching China into the economic giant that it is today; this led to the Tiananmen Square protest in 1989. Japan was at its economic peak and was a leading exporter, especially to the US.

Unfortunately, the 1980s were not a kind decade to Africa. It is most popularly remembered for the Live Aid benefit concert, but unfortunately not enough to prevent the problems in nations such as Ethiopia, Angola, and Sudan, not to mention being the primary source for the spreading of AIDS.

So it all depends on where you were in the '80s, as some places were better off than others. Even within countries such as the US, the suburbs and sunbelt cities were faring much better than the Rust belt. That's why I like to call the '80s in America the "suburbia and sun belt" decade; Los Angeles became the US's second largest city, more shopping malls opened in that decade than any other, master-planned cookie cutter housing developments, suburban office parks, and the boom in minivans and later SUVs. It's as if developers wanted to dismiss the suburbs as just "bedroom communities" common in the 1950s/60s with a few strip centers and provide a new style of suburban living. Gentrification was just beginning in a few cities such as Boston and New York, but had yet to have the impact that it has provided since 2000 or so.

Written By: warped on 03/03/14 at 5:38 pm

There were other important political players of course during the 1980s:

The Iran-Iraq war was also a major part of the 1980s, lasting eight years and is notable as being Saddam Hussein's peak of popularity. As the decade ended, Iraq invaded Kuwait to launch the first Gulf War. Thankfully, this was just background news as Western involvement was minimal.

Despite the ongoing Cold War, the election of Gorbachev in 1985 is often cited as an important turning point in the Cold War that launched glasnost and perestroika. The first half of the '80s was clearly the scariest moment in the Cold War, rivaling or exceeding the 1950s in tension.

In China, the 1980s were dominated by Deng Xiaoping and was the basis for launching China into the economic giant that it is today; this led to the Tiananmen Square protest in 1989. Japan was at its economic peak and was a leading exporter, especially to the US.

Unfortunately, the 1980s were not a kind decade to Africa. It is most popularly remembered for the Live Aid benefit concert, but unfortunately not enough to prevent the problems in nations such as Ethiopia, Angola, and Sudan, not to mention being the primary source for the spreading of AIDS.

So it all depends on where you were in the '80s, as some places were better off than others. Even within countries such as the US, the suburbs and sunbelt cities were faring much better than the Rust belt. That's why I like to call the '80s in America the "suburbia and sun belt" decade; Los Angeles became the US's second largest city, more shopping malls opened in that decade than any other, master-planned cookie cutter housing developments, suburban office parks, and the boom in minivans and later SUVs. It's as if developers wanted to dismiss the suburbs as just "bedroom communities" common in the 1950s/60s with a few strip centers and provide a new style of suburban living. Gentrification was just beginning in a few cities such as Boston and New York, but had yet to have the impact that it has provided since 2000 or so.

Well said.

Written By: Howard on 03/03/14 at 7:05 pm

How about the time when he almost got shot in 1981?

Written By: 80sfan on 03/04/14 at 6:13 am

He was lucky he lived!!  8)

Written By: Howard on 03/04/14 at 7:39 am

He was lucky he lived!!  8)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UoZeZprXnDg

Written By: Foo Bar on 03/04/14 at 11:02 pm

Kind of accurate.  Those are the two politicians for which the decade is best remembered; a shift from regulated markets to freer ones.  A lot of money was made and there was a lot of collateral damage. 

It was a time of excess.  For those who don't remember much about the 80s, imagine watching 2013's The Wolf of Wall Street, except that instead of Scorsese's Jordan Belfort peddling penny stocks in a boiler room operation (which was all that was left by 90s), you have Oliver Stone's Gordon Gekko Wall Street is hanging out at a legitimate private equity firm or the corporate finance department of a large reputable brokerage.  Scorsese's Jordan Belfort was based on a real-life individual.  Stone's Gordon Gekko was ficticious, but was modeled after real-life characters, most notably Michael Milken.

The excess was reflected in the music; punk lived, but it lived in the shadows of fluorescent leggings, mirrorshades, and synthpop.  There was a vauge sort of hope for the future, but that hope was only to live in excess for the moment, because the Cold War could still have gone hot at any time, and every night everyone went to bed knowing that the wake-up call from the hangover might be a double flash from one of a thousand inbound Russian nukes.  You went to bed knowing that you could wake up to a double flash, and know that every city with a population of more than a million - allied, enemy, or neutral - would be vapor within the next hour or two.  The only rational response was to get what you could, while you could.  Eat, drink, and be merry, for tomorrow we may fry!

Written By: CatwomanofV on 03/09/14 at 1:11 pm

He DID get shot-underwent emergency surgery and lived to tell the tale.

I remember when they announced that James Brady died and then a few minutes later they said that that report was wrong and he was still alive. In fact, he is still alive to this day.

Cat

Written By: Philip Eno on 03/09/14 at 1:17 pm

The gun that was fired and the suit Ronald Reagan are on display at the Reagan Presidential Library and Museum in Simi Valley, California.

Written By: Howard on 03/09/14 at 2:55 pm

He DID get shot-underwent emergency surgery and lived to tell the tale.

I remember when they announced that James Brady died and then a few minutes later they said that that report was wrong and he was still alive. In fact, he is still alive to this day.

Cat

Where did he get shot?

Written By: Philip Eno on 03/09/14 at 2:56 pm

Where did he get shot?
As he left the Hilton Hotel in Washington, D.C.

Written By: Howard on 03/09/14 at 3:05 pm

The gun that was fired and the suit Ronald Reagan are on display at the Reagan Presidential Library and Museum in Simi Valley, California.

Is it for sale? ???

Written By: Howard on 03/09/14 at 3:07 pm

As he left the Hilton Hotel in Washington, D.C.

I think I've seen video footage, some people were blocking his body from the guy shooting him.

Written By: Philip Eno on 03/09/14 at 3:09 pm

Is it for sale? ???
On display...

Written By: apollonia1986 on 03/09/14 at 3:11 pm

Howard, why would you want to buy a blood spattered suit?

And the bullet that hit Reagan struck him as he ducked into his limo. The bullet somehow got in the crack of the open door and got him. Halfway to the White house, he started coughing up blood and had labored breathing it was discovered he'd been hit so the limo was detoured to the hospital.

I liked Reagan, so I know this.

(All this to impress Jodie Foster, WTF?)  ::)

Written By: Howard on 03/09/14 at 4:34 pm

Howard, why would you want to buy a blood spattered suit?

And the bullet that hit Reagan struck him as he ducked into his limo. The bullet somehow got in the crack of the open door and got him. Halfway to the White house, he started coughing up blood and had labored breathing it was discovered he'd been hit so the limo was detoured to the hospital.

I liked Reagan, so I know this.

(All this to impress Jodie Foster, WTF?)  ::)

then he goes and shoots the president of the united states.

Written By: apollonia1986 on 03/09/14 at 5:29 pm

then he goes and shoots the president of the united states.

Seriously, fellas, if you like me, send me box of Whitman's or a floral arrangement. I'm not worth trying to assisinate a head of state!  :o NO ONE IS!

And Jodie would never go for him anyway--Jodie came out last year as a lesbian. So really, a man nearly died for nothing. And isn't that James Brady guy paralyzed for life?

Written By: Howard on 03/10/14 at 6:43 am

Seriously, fellas, if you like me, send me box of Whitman's or a floral arrangement. I'm not worth trying to assassinate a head of state!  :o NO ONE IS!

And Jodie would never go for him anyway--Jodie came out last year as a lesbian. So really, a man nearly died for nothing. And isn't that James Brady guy paralyzed for life?

http://www4.pictures.zimbio.com/gi/James+Brady+Ann+Comton+Former+Press+Secretary+wUR5BTktAp-l.jpg

Yes, he's still confined to a wheelchair. :(

Written By: apollonia1986 on 03/10/14 at 7:53 pm

I reckon its a blessing he lived, but he's been wheelchair-bound for over 30 years. That poor man.  :\'(

Written By: Howard on 03/11/14 at 6:30 am

(All this to impress Jodie Foster, WTF?)

I know, why couldn't John Hinckley impress Jodie with something else besides shooting someone like the President of The United States? ::)

Check for new replies or respond here...