inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: late 80's pop song need help identifying

Written By: cjr71244 on 04/12/14 at 12:57 pm

trying to think of this song, it's probably from 1989 + or - a few years. It sounds kinda like go west "king of wishful thinking", or paul carrack "don't shed a tear for me" it's not a ballad it's upbeat pop song. It sounds a lot like the theme to Full House, one lyric I remember but probably incorrectly: "hey you ??rockers?? who could forget about you" It's a male vocalist and the song uses those cheesy late 80's synthesizers. The lyrics I remember are so generic I'm not having any luck finding it. I looked through the top 100 charts for 1989 and 88 and can't find it. I need like top 1000 songs of 89 or 88 maybe I can find it. It was a radio hit for sure but not a number 1, I believe it was a one hit wonder

Subject: Re: late 80's pop song need help identifying

Written By: oingo_fan on 04/13/14 at 2:34 pm

Wild-a## guess here, right timeframe...and cheesy 80's synths!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1yAeeqb7Ie4

Written By: Foo Bar on 04/15/14 at 12:29 am

Even if that's not it, it's nice to see someone else remembers The Other Ones for something other than Holiday, which was their one-hit wonder track. Karma for the obscure All The Love from 1986.

Written By: cjr71244 on 04/19/14 at 5:37 pm

thank you, that is not it, I've been looking for this song for weeks now. I just went through all the top 1000 songs of 1980s and 1990s and it's not there

I think the lyric may be "Hey you ????Rockers??..... (then a pause) can't forget about you"

Written By: Garibaldi on 04/21/14 at 6:35 pm

I set up a new topic for this, before I realized this thread existed. I need help. I am going crazy trying to identify this song/video I heard once or twice when I was a kid. The only thing I can recall about this video is it was Asian themed with a solo caucasian male dressed in a kimono or possibly like a sumo. His background singers were dressed as geisha. The only words I can recall are the girls spelling out "desire" and something about chattering plastic teeth. I cannot find anything on the 'nets about who sings it, although my brain insists it's Chaz Jankel, but a search rules him out. Please help me! I don't want to die not knowing!

Written By: Foo Bar on 04/22/14 at 7:17 pm

I set up a new topic for this, before I realized this thread existed. I need help. I am going crazy trying to identify this song/video I heard once or twice when I was a kid. The only thing I can recall about this video is it was Asian themed with a solo caucasian male dressed in a kimono or possibly like a sumo. His background singers were dressed as geisha. The only words I can recall are the girls spelling out "desire" and something about chattering plastic teeth. I cannot find anything on the 'nets about who sings it, although my brain insists it's Chaz Jankel, but a search rules him out. Please help me! I don't want to die not knowing!

Well, we don't know when you were a kid, so give us a year or decade.  We're pretty good at these, although sometimes it takes us a while!

For example, if you're old enough to have been a kid in 1984, MalcomMcLaren did Madam Butterfly, which didn't get much radio airplay because it was an ode to the Puccini opera set in Japan.  But because the women in the video were mostly undressed, it got a lot of MTV video play, and if there were windup chattering plastic teeth in it, I still wouldn't have remembered anything else :)

(EDIT:  I just noticed you just gave the years as in the very early 80s in your original thread - I'm leaving my comment in this thread because if I'm right with this uninformed guess, it'll still help, and if I'm wrong, my miss here won't clutter your thread with an obvious-but-wrong search result.  I'm also going to use this as an excuse to re-watch Madame Butterfly looking for chattering windup teeth.  There's a sentence I didn't think I'd type today.)

Written By: Garibaldi on 04/22/14 at 8:00 pm

Well, we don't know when you were a kid, so give us a year or decade.  We're pretty good at these, although sometimes it takes us a while!

For example, if you're old enough to have been a kid in 1984, MalcomMcLaren did Madam Butterfly, which didn't get much radio airplay because it was an ode to the Puccini opera set in Japan.  But because the women in the video were mostly undressed, it got a lot of MTV video play, and if there were windup chattering plastic teeth in it, I still wouldn't have remembered anything else :)

(EDIT:  I just noticed you just gave the years as in the very early 80s in your original thread - I'm leaving my comment in this thread because if I'm right with this uninformed guess, it'll still help, and if I'm wrong, my miss here won't clutter your thread with an obvious-but-wrong search result.  I'm also going to use this as an excuse to re-watch Madame Butterfly looking for chattering windup teeth.  There's a sentence I didn't think I'd type today.)

It was definitely NOT that one lol. This was either late 1979, 1980, or 1981. I believe I saw it on HBOs Video Jukebox, between movies. It was uptempo, not slow. Solo artist, dressed in a kimono with his hair done up like a samurai. What I remember is this:

Girls (singing) "D.E.S.I.R.E'
Man "You're my one desire"

That's all that I remember from the lyrics.

Written By: robby76 on 04/23/14 at 12:02 pm

80s videos with geisha's only make me think of Culture Club...

hFVuuRxM2VU

Written By: warped on 04/23/14 at 3:23 pm

Was it "turning Japanese" by the vapors?

Written By: Garibaldi on 04/23/14 at 5:56 pm

Was it "turning Japanese" by the vapors?

Nope. Totally wrong lyrics. Still trying to search before I go completely insane from thinking about it.

Written By: warped on 04/23/14 at 8:37 pm

Nope. Totally wrong lyrics. Still trying to search before I go completely insane from thinking about it.

Ah, don't go insane over it...keep the faith you will find it!
What country are you from...or where did you live when you heard the song.
That might help a little..

Written By: Foo Bar on 04/23/14 at 8:40 pm

It was definitely NOT that one lol. This was either late 1979, 1980, or 1981. I believe I saw it on HBOs Video Jukebox, between movies. It was uptempo, not slow. Solo artist, dressed in a kimono with his hair done up like a samurai. What I remember is this:

Girls (singing) "D.E.S.I.R.E'
Man "You're my one desire"

That's all that I remember from the lyrics.

Knowing that he spelled out the word "Desire" helps immensely!  Here's the video, and your original thread gets the 12" remix with better audio quality, plus a claymore-wielding Jesse Rae atop the Brooklyn Bridge!  But first, the video you were looking for:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nSeRoV3Yyx4

- Jesse Rae, D.E.S.I.R.E., 1979.

From the YouTube uploader's comments July 25 2011: "This is a very odd and sometimes annoying video. I apologize for the lousy tape quality. It's jumping out of sync every few seconds, but I noticed that there wasn't a copy of it anywhere here on YT. It looks like HBO superimposed some red boxes over the underwear-clad women in this video. This copy came from HBO's "Video Jukebox" and probably dates from late 1979 or early 1980."

Karma'd because not only is this a fun little track, I would never have found it or absolutley hilarious video on Max Headroom in the other thread.

Written By: warped on 04/23/14 at 8:46 pm

Good job, Foo Bar. That must be the one .

Written By: Foo Bar on 04/23/14 at 10:29 pm

Good job, Foo Bar. That must be the one .

Thanks.  I managed to help Garibaldi, but...

trying to think of this song, it's probably from 1989 + or - a few years. It sounds kinda like go west "king of wishful thinking", or paul carrack "don't shed a tear for me" it's not a ballad it's upbeat pop song. It sounds a lot like the theme to Full House, one lyric I remember but probably incorrectly: "hey you ??rockers?? who could forget about you" It's a male vocalist and the song uses those cheesy late 80's synthesizers. The lyrics I remember are so generic I'm not having any luck finding it. I looked through the top 100 charts for 1989 and 88 and can't find it. I need like top 1000 songs of 89 or 88 maybe I can find it. It was a radio hit for sure but not a number 1, I believe it was a one hit wonder

...this is the original poster and the song he was looking for, so we still have work to do!

Written By: Garibaldi on 04/25/14 at 11:45 am

Knowing that he spelled out the word "Desire" helps immensely!  Here's the video, and your original thread gets the 12" remix with better audio quality, plus a claymore-wielding Jesse Rae atop the Brooklyn Bridge!  But first, the video you were looking for:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nSeRoV3Yyx4

- Jesse Rae, D.E.S.I.R.E., 1979.

From the YouTube uploader's comments July 25 2011: "This is a very odd and sometimes annoying video. I apologize for the lousy tape quality. It's jumping out of sync every few seconds, but I noticed that there wasn't a copy of it anywhere here on YT. It looks like HBO superimposed some red boxes over the underwear-clad women in this video. This copy came from HBO's "Video Jukebox" and probably dates from late 1979 or early 1980."

Karma'd because not only is this a fun little track, I would never have found it or absolutley hilarious video on Max Headroom in the other thread.

You are now my hero! I can die now that I know who the F sang this thing, any maybe now I can get that d*** earworm out! THANK YOU SO MUCH!!!!!!

Written By: Foo Bar on 04/25/14 at 11:25 pm

You are now my hero! I can die now that I know who the F sang this thing, any maybe now I can get that d*** earworm out! THANK YOU SO MUCH!!!!!!

You're most welcome.  We may look like a silly bunch... OK, we are a silly bunch... but neverthless, helping people finding stuff like this is what we're really here for. 

(But don't die now.  Start thinking about all those other obscure 80s memories that you don't think we'll be able to figure out.  Keep going until you drive us crazy searching for 'em, for only then can you know that you'll haunt us from beyond your grave! :)

Written By: cjr71244 on 05/18/14 at 9:04 am

thanks, any ideas? I've expanded my search to 1986-1990 been listening to all the hits from those eras, no luck

Written By: Garibaldi on 05/18/14 at 2:51 pm

You're most welcome.  We may look like a silly bunch... OK, we are a silly bunch... but neverthless, helping people finding stuff like this is what we're really here for. 

(But don't die now.  Start thinking about all those other obscure 80s memories that you don't think we'll be able to figure out.  Keep going until you drive us crazy searching for 'em, for only then can you know that you'll haunt us from beyond your grave! :)

I think that was the last one. If I have any more I will be sure to ask here first.

Written By: Paul on 05/19/14 at 5:40 am

thanks, any ideas? I've expanded my search to 1986-1990 been listening to all the hits from those eras, no luck

I'm thinking along the lines of 'Hey You' by The Quireboys...right kind of era (it's about the only hit of theirs that anyone remembers and I don't think it troubled the US charts), but that was more Poison-type rock than anything else...

Any more clues you can give us?

Written By: Claybricks on 05/22/14 at 11:34 pm

??

CdqoNKCCt7A

Dan

Check for new replies or respond here...