inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: Old PBS programs in the 80's

Written By: preston181 on 07/13/14 at 1:12 am

So, I was born in 1981, and grew up watching PBS as a young child in the 1980's. We didn't have cable TV, and aside from the occasional visit to Grandma's house, where I got to watch Nickelodeon, we pretty much had NBC, CBS, and PBS, (Fox came later in the early 90's).

I remember watching Sesame Street and 321 Contact. Mom didn't care for Mr Rogers' Neighborhood, (she thought he was creepy, apparently). I also remember watching other shows with mom and dad, like Wonderworks, The Woodwright's Shop, Julia Child, This Old House, The Victory Garden, Masterpiece Theater, Nova, Nature, and some other shows that I don't recall the names of.

Some of the shows are still available, and some sadly, are no more. PBS was a lot less commercially driven back in the day, and I still remember the old themes to them. the Woodwright's Shop still uses the old theme, which is cool, even though Roy Underhill is getting pretty old these days.

Anyone else experience the joy of what PBS had to offer, back when it was still sort of a "hippie" channel, and not so much of a "hipster" channel?

Subject: Re: Old PBS programs in the 80's

Written By: Howard on 07/13/14 at 3:11 pm

I remember watching Sesame Street and 321 Contact. Mom didn't care for Mr Rogers' Neighborhood, (she thought he was creepy, apparently). I also remember watching other shows with mom and dad, like Wonderworks, The Woodwright's Shop, Julia Child, This Old House, The Victory Garden, Masterpiece Theater, Nova, Nature, and some other shows that I don't recall the names of.

Hey Preston, I grew up on watching Sesame Street, Mr.Rogers Neighborhood, Electric Company and 321 Contact. They had much better variety of stuff to watch.

Written By: c_keenan2001@hotmail.com on 07/15/14 at 3:51 pm

Me too.  I never grew tired of watching Mr Roger's Neighbourhood.  :)

Written By: Howard on 07/16/14 at 3:18 pm

Me too.  I never grew tired of watching Mr Roger's Neighbourhood.  :)

How about The Electric Company?  :)

Check for new replies or respond here...