inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: Old PBS programs in the 80's

Written By: preston181 on 07/13/14 at 1:12 am

So, I was born in 1981, and grew up watching PBS as a young child in the 1980's. We didn't have cable TV, and aside from the occasional visit to Grandma's house, where I got to watch Nickelodeon, we pretty much had NBC, CBS, and PBS, (Fox came later in the early 90's).

I remember watching Sesame Street and 321 Contact. Mom didn't care for Mr Rogers' Neighborhood, (she thought he was creepy, apparently). I also remember watching other shows with mom and dad, like Wonderworks, The Woodwright's Shop, Julia Child, This Old House, The Victory Garden, Masterpiece Theater, Nova, Nature, and some other shows that I don't recall the names of.

Some of the shows are still available, and some sadly, are no more. PBS was a lot less commercially driven back in the day, and I still remember the old themes to them. the Woodwright's Shop still uses the old theme, which is cool, even though Roy Underhill is getting pretty old these days.

Anyone else experience the joy of what PBS had to offer, back when it was still sort of a "hippie" channel, and not so much of a "hipster" channel?

Subject: Re: Old PBS programs in the 80's

Written By: Howard on 07/13/14 at 3:11 pm

I remember watching Sesame Street and 321 Contact. Mom didn't care for Mr Rogers' Neighborhood, (she thought he was creepy, apparently). I also remember watching other shows with mom and dad, like Wonderworks, The Woodwright's Shop, Julia Child, This Old House, The Victory Garden, Masterpiece Theater, Nova, Nature, and some other shows that I don't recall the names of.

Hey Preston, I grew up on watching Sesame Street, Mr.Rogers Neighborhood, Electric Company and 321 Contact. They had much better variety of stuff to watch.

Written By: c_keenan2001@hotmail.com on 07/15/14 at 3:51 pm

Me too.  I never grew tired of watching Mr Roger's Neighbourhood.  :)

Written By: Howard on 07/16/14 at 3:18 pm

Me too.  I never grew tired of watching Mr Roger's Neighbourhood.  :)

How about The Electric Company?  :)

Written By: c_keenan2001@hotmail.com on 09/05/16 at 8:01 pm

How about The Electric Company?  :)

The old one was great.  The new one? I don't even want to think about the new one.

Written By: Howard on 09/06/16 at 2:46 pm

The old one was great.  The new one? I don't even want to think about the new one.

As soon as I saw The NEW Electric Company, I wanted to see what this NEW version was all about and I watched a few of them and they stunk but on PBS it only ran for about a year and a half till it was cancelled, now it runs repeats on Sesame Workshop.

Written By: meesa on 09/06/16 at 2:56 pm

Watched it a lot in the 70s.. in the 80s, even though I was a teen, I still continued to watch Mr Rogers and Bob Ross because I loved them both so much.

I still watch Bob Ross on youtube to go to sleep each night.  ;D :)

Written By: Howard on 09/06/16 at 3:49 pm

Watched it a lot in the 70s.. in the 80s, even though I was a teen, I still continued to watch Mr Rogers and Bob Ross because I loved them both so much.

I still watch Bob Ross on youtube to go to sleep each night.  ;D :)

Do you remember how Mr.Rogers ended his goodbye out the door after every episode? :)

Written By: annimal on 09/06/16 at 4:32 pm

82 PBS Sesame Street never watched Mr Rogers' Neighborhood.  I remember watching The Price Is Right between some cartoons.  Watched some care bears. Ghostbusters.  Later watched  Nickelodean  Loved Looneytoons and Double Dare.

Written By: Starlighter on 09/06/16 at 5:24 pm

This brings me back.  I used to watch Sesame Street, 321 Contact, and Mr. Rogers' Neighborhood.  Mr. Rogers usually made me sad for some reason, but I always watched because I liked the puppet segment they had on there.

The Joy of Painting by Bob Ross is on Netflix. 

Written By: Howard on 09/07/16 at 2:44 pm

This brings me back.  I used to watch Sesame Street, 321 Contact, and Mr. Rogers' Neighborhood.  Mr. Rogers usually made me sad for some reason, but I always watched because I liked the puppet segment they had on there.

The Joy of Painting by Bob Ross is on Netflix.

What was your favorite puppet?

Written By: Howard on 09/07/16 at 2:50 pm

https://www.readingrainbow.com/wp-content/uploads/LeVar-moustache.png
Reading Rainbow (1983)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1p8ZnJ7x-6Y

Written By: yelimsexa on 09/07/16 at 2:56 pm

Aaahh, the Land of Make Believe segments. I always liked the bird by the tree and King Friday's Castle.

Let's not forget these other forgotten gems:

Square One TV
Electric Company reruns
Vegetable Soup
The MacNeil/Lehrer News Hour
Nightly Business Report (continued though the '90s)
Various imports of UK shows including Monty Python, EastEnders, and Doctor Who
Dick Cavett
Oil Painting
OWL TV
Lies, Yoga and You

PBS was actually cool to watch if you didn't have cable, and even if you did as was the case well into the '90s when its programming quality was at its best, still was. Just be charitable for what you enjoy, since I feel that the dropoff in quality is due to that, and unfortunately the splintering of other entertainment options has hurt its quality.

Written By: Howard on 09/08/16 at 3:38 pm

Aaahh, the Land of Make Believe segments. I always liked the bird by the tree and King Friday's Castle.

Let's not forget these other forgotten gems:

Square One TV
Electric Company reruns
Vegetable Soup
The MacNeil/Lehrer News Hour
Nightly Business Report (continued though the '90s)
Various imports of UK shows including Monty Python, EastEnders, and Doctor Who
Dick Cavett
Oil Painting
OWL TV
Lies, Yoga and You

PBS was actually cool to watch if you didn't have cable, and even if you did as was the case well into the '90s when its programming quality was at its best, still was. Just be charitable for what you enjoy, since I feel that the dropoff in quality is due to that, and unfortunately the splintering of other entertainment options has hurt its quality.

You're referring to X The Owl.
https://s-media-cache-ak0.pinimg.com/564x/c8/61/25/c8612586b03a25e9f76f54ba6feea431.jpg

Written By: annimal on 09/08/16 at 6:25 pm

Yeah. I had cable and know I watched more cable.  I don't think I watched these other shows mentioned.  Did I mention a show called Muppet Babies?

Written By: Howard on 09/09/16 at 7:16 am

Yeah. I had cable and know I watched more cable.  I don't think I watched these other shows mentioned.  Did I mention a show called Muppet Babies?

I used to watch Muppet Babies but Muppet Babies was on Channel 2 here in New York back in the 80's.

Written By: annimal on 09/09/16 at 11:15 am

I don't remember but S Street was probably the only thing I watched on PBS

Written By: Howard on 09/09/16 at 2:04 pm

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=prWginDJWYM

Check for new replies or respond here...