inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: Top 40 pop stations finally phasing out 80s music? :(

Written By: BayAreaNostalgist1981 on 07/24/14 at 11:02 pm

I suppose it was bound to happen one day, but it still makes me depressed and even angry that the music I loved as a kid is completely not relevant anymore...especially after such a good run for so long.

You know those rhythmic Hot AC stations that had slogans like Playing the greatest hits of the 80s, 90s and today! recently shifted it to 90s 2000s and Today, but what's interesting is that just a few years ago, despite it not being in the advertising, they still threw in a few 80s nuggets, mostly the big hits like "Living On A Prayer", "With or Without You", "Billie Jean" "Don't You Want Me" etc.

Well it seems even that only lasted through maybe 2012. Now they've completely thrown in the towel with any 80s music, which makes me sad. Its a culture shock too, since they were mixed in with (at the time) current songs for so long. Even in 2008-09 you'd hear an early Katy Perry song followed by a Police song. That's why I don't understand why they completely cut them off in the last couple years.

P.S. I should say the more traditional AC stations (which themselves are kinda more Hot AC these days) still have a really diverse mixture of melodic 80s-2010s music (and a few really popular oldies too)...but I'm talking about the more rhythmic stations do not.

Subject: Re: Top 40 pop stations finally phasing out 80s music? :(

Written By: 80sfan on 07/25/14 at 12:02 am

I honestly think they shouldn't make oldies stations for music after 2000. Maybe even stop at 1998 or 1999. Because after that mainstream music was owned by only a few big companies and the quality started to suffer.

Written By: Visor765 on 07/25/14 at 12:06 am

I honestly think they shouldn't make oldies stations for music after 2000. Maybe even stop at 1998 or 1999. Because after that mainstream music was owned by only a few big companies and the quality started to suffer.

No, they should stop at 1994 or maybe 1995, and once a new year passes, you add another year. So by about 2019/2020 they will add songs from the year 2000. And how many times have I told you, music is subjective! It only "suffered" in your head.

Written By: BayAreaNostalgist1981 on 07/25/14 at 1:01 am

Even that's pushing it, but it depends on the genre too. I think the early 2000s was the last time any "future oldies" came out at all - i.e. newer songs that sounded really influenced by old genres. The 90s had alot of adult oriented music like Michael Bolton, but very little if any now.

Written By: 80sfan on 07/25/14 at 3:21 am

Even that's pushing it, but it depends on the genre too. I think the early 2000s was the last time any "future oldies" came out at all - i.e. newer songs that sounded really influenced by old genres. The 90s had alot of adult oriented music like Michael Bolton, but very little if any now.

I agree with Visor, maybe even earlier, like 1994 or 1995!

Written By: BayAreaNostalgist1981 on 07/25/14 at 3:53 am

I agree with Visor, maybe even earlier, like 1994 or 1995!

Yeah, the early and even mid 90s has quite a bit of "classic" sounding music that could be bunched in with the prior decades, like "One" by U2. I wonder if the 80s influence in music completely going away circa 1996 has something to do with this?

Written By: Howard on 07/25/14 at 6:42 am

You know those rhythmic Hot AC stations that had slogans like Playing the greatest hits of the 80s, 90s and today! recently shifted it to 90s 2000s and Today, but what's interesting is that just a few years ago, despite it not being in the advertising, they still threw in a few 80s nuggets, mostly the big hits like "Living On A Prayer", "With or Without You", "Billie Jean" "Don't You Want Me" etc.

Or when some radio stations used to say "Playing the greatest hits of all time", I guess the 80's are being phased out.

Written By: Howard on 07/25/14 at 6:43 am

The 80's stations are now being played via internet radio streams.

Written By: yelimsexa on 07/25/14 at 7:19 am

As are the 70's, 90's, 60's, 50's, even 40's for swing lovers. That said, the 80s nowadays are best found on classic hits stations (which includes 70s, some 60s, and perhaps a few 90s), oldies stations (with the '60s/'70s), on the softer AC stations as mentioned, but I feel the best mix/concentration of 80s music comes on the Variety Hits stations, usually having a person's name as a moniker for the radio station, with Jack and Bob being the two most common. They also play a good amount of '90s, some '00s and '70s, and the occassional recent hit. Those Hot AC stations aren't actual Top 40 stations- that would be the CHR stations, which likely phased out 80s music way back in the mid-90s. Some Variety and Classic Hits stations even play an AT40 countdown from the '80s every weekend, if you find a station that plays it then you've found a good radio station that plays '80s music, and those countdowns include rarely played hits such as the country crossovers early in the decade along with some bubblegum such as Samantha Fox along with some sappy ballads such as I Just Called to Say I Love You.

That said, the '80s are still not difficult to find on the dial today just like the '50s were in the mid-80s. The question is how long we will still hear '80s songs on the radio, but given some '60s still survive, at least for another couple decades, and even afterwards there will still be a niche market.

Written By: BayAreaNostalgist1981 on 07/25/14 at 1:08 pm

As are the 70's, 90's, 60's, 50's, even 40's for swing lovers. That said, the 80s nowadays are best found on classic hits stations (which includes 70s, some 60s, and perhaps a few 90s), oldies stations (with the '60s/'70s), on the softer AC stations as mentioned, but I feel the best mix/concentration of 80s music comes on the Variety Hits stations, usually having a person's name as a moniker for the radio station, with Jack and Bob being the two most common. They also play a good amount of '90s, some '00s and '70s, and the occassional recent hit. Those Hot AC stations aren't actual Top 40 stations- that would be the CHR stations, which likely phased out 80s music way back in the mid-90s. Some Variety and Classic Hits stations even play an AT40 countdown from the '80s every weekend, if you find a station that plays it then you've found a good radio station that plays '80s music, and those countdowns include rarely played hits such as the country crossovers early in the decade along with some bubblegum such as Samantha Fox along with some sappy ballads such as I Just Called to Say I Love You.

That said, the '80s are still not difficult to find on the dial today just like the '50s were in the mid-80s. The question is how long we will still hear '80s songs on the radio, but given some '60s still survive, at least for another couple decades, and even afterwards there will still be a niche market.

Judging by local stations in my area I've been listening to for years, the CHR stations actually were playing 80s music through the mid 2000s. And yeah, it seems like the bar has been lowered. I bet 60s music like The Beatles and Stones will be on some radio stations forever, especially since they have such massive fanbases, and not just the Boomers who grew up with it either.

That's an interesting point about CHR versus AC stations. Present day AC stations seem equivalent to what CHR stations during the actual 80s and 90s were...plus some softer/poppier hits from today.

Written By: Howard on 07/25/14 at 2:53 pm

That said, the 80s nowadays are best found on classic hits stations (which includes 70s, some 60s, and perhaps a few 90s), oldies stations (with the '60s/'70s), on the softer AC stations as mentioned, but I feel the best mix/concentration of 80s music comes on the Variety Hits stations, usually having a person's name as a moniker for the radio station, with Jack and Bob being the two most common.

and there are stations on the internet that play 80's all the time.

Written By: BayAreaNostalgist1981 on 07/25/14 at 10:47 pm

and there are stations on the internet that play 80's all the time.

That's not what we're talking about. I meant old school terrestrial radio.

Let me suggest...if you're not sure exactly what a topic is about, just ask.

Written By: Howard on 07/26/14 at 6:30 am

That's not what we're talking about. I meant old school terrestrial radio.

Let me suggest...if you're not sure exactly what a topic is about, just ask.

what do you mean by old school terrestrial radio? ???

Written By: BayAreaNostalgist1981 on 07/26/14 at 12:22 pm

what do you mean by old school terrestrial radio? ???

*headdesk* AM/FM radio. I did say Top 40 in the title.

Ya know, taking a few moments to CAREFULLY read something works wonders, my friend. :)

Written By: Doc Brown on 07/31/14 at 5:05 pm

And thank gosh for that! Sirius XM's 80's on 8 channel is even hosted by the four surviving Original MTV hosts: Mark Goodman, Nina Blackwood, Alan Hunter, and Martha Quinn.

Of course, you are really asking 'When did the Pop stations decide 80's music was no longer relevant?'
Do the names 'Vanilla Ice', 'Nirvana', and 'Dr. Dre' ring any bells?

Your Pal,
Doc

>:(

Written By: BayAreaNostalgist1981 on 07/31/14 at 6:44 pm

Of course, you are really asking 'When did the Pop stations decide 80's music was no longer relevant?'
Do the names 'Vanilla Ice', 'Nirvana', and 'Dr. Dre' ring any bells?

Your Pal,
Doc

>:(

I think that's overstated. Every trace of the 80s didn't just vanish overnight two seconds after Teen Spirit aired on MTV.  ;D Perhaps it got a little less cool yes, but the real world doesn't work like that the way they make it seem in TV shows and movies. I can remember kids around my age liking some 80s songs well into the 90s.

And like I've stated before, the CHR hit radio stations played 80s songs commonly into the mid 2000s and slightly even as late as 2011/2012.

Written By: Howard on 08/01/14 at 2:14 pm

And like I've stated before, the CHR hit radio stations played 80s songs commonly into the mid 2000s and slightly even as late as 2011/2012.

You mean those Saturday Night dance parties? ???

Written By: XYkid on 08/02/14 at 1:44 am

There's a station in LA called MyFM that plays a mix of current music and music from the past couple of decades. They used to play 80s music a lot around 2008 (to the point that people thought they were turning into an 80s station) up until about 2010/2011, when they changed there slogan to "from the 90s to now".

Written By: Howard on 08/02/14 at 6:39 am

I guess The DJs want to phase out the 80's and save them for a throwback night like you hear on a Saturday Night Dance Party.

Written By: Jquar on 08/02/14 at 3:16 pm

Seems like the Vancouver, Seattle, and Portland stations all play a lot of '80s stuff still. '70s music is getting harder to find on the airwaves though.

Written By: Howard on 08/02/14 at 5:49 pm

Seems like the Vancouver, Seattle, and Portland stations all play a lot of '80s stuff still. '70s music is getting harder to find on the airwaves though.

some stations don't want to play the 70's that much anymore.

Written By: XYkid on 08/02/14 at 7:06 pm

The Rock of Seattle (99.9 FM) still plays a lot of 70s/80s/90s as well as newer stuff, with some 60s stuff like Jimi Hendrix thrown in at times.

Written By: BayAreaNostalgist1981 on 08/02/14 at 11:33 pm

In the San Francisco Bay Area, there's one classic rock station I absolutely love.

98.5 has been around as long as I've lived here (96) and is your classic AOR station covering say 1964-1990. About two years ago, they changed up their deejays and format a bit, but only in the way of expanding music. They kept all the standards (still do tons of Beatles) but now do some 90s and early 00s alternative rock; more heavy metal (Judas Priest, Ozzy) and on the other end of the spectrum, also more pop oriented 80s rock (Mr Mister, Tears For Fears) and even some non-rock like Bob Marley.

Personally since I like all of that stuff too, I think its perfect. That's the way to change it up, not to cut off the old stuff. Then again, you really CANT have a classic rock station without playing The Beatles, Stones, Zeppelin and Hendrix. :D

Written By: Howard on 08/03/14 at 2:29 pm

stations in New York such as 95.5, 98.7, WCBS FM 101.1 play 80's music but they're only on Saturday Nights during a dance party.

Written By: bchris02 on 08/03/14 at 10:04 pm

I suppose it was bound to happen one day, but it still makes me depressed and even angry that the music I loved as a kid is completely not relevant anymore...especially after such a good run for so long.

Well it seems even that only lasted through maybe 2012. Now they've completely thrown in the towel with any 80s music, which makes me sad. Its a culture shock too, since they were mixed in with (at the time) current songs for so long. Even in 2008-09 you'd hear an early Katy Perry song followed by a Police song. That's why I don't understand why they completely cut them off in the last couple years.

P.S. I should say the more traditional AC stations (which themselves are kinda more Hot AC these days) still have a really diverse mixture of melodic 80s-2010s music (and a few really popular oldies too)...but I'm talking about the more rhythmic stations do not.

I was just thinking about this today.  Even regular AC stations lean heavily '90s and '00s with some '80s thrown in.  The "Lite rock" sound that dominated AC stations in the 90s and 00s is gone.

I have also noticed that AC isn't being fair to the '90s.  Stuff like Whitney Houston, Michael Jackson, and Celine Dion gets airplay, but you never hear anything slightly rhythmic.  The '00s get mostly the same treatment.

Written By: BayAreaNostalgist1981 on 08/03/14 at 11:44 pm

I was just thinking about this today.  Even regular AC stations lean heavily '90s and '00s with some '80s thrown in.  The "Lite rock" sound that dominated AC stations in the 90s and 00s is gone.

I have also noticed that AC isn't being fair to the '90s.  Stuff like Whitney Houston, Michael Jackson, and Celine Dion gets airplay, but you never hear anything slightly rhythmic.  The '00s get mostly the same treatment.

Sadly this is true too. Like, the stuff you heard in the actual 90s on softer stations, like Kenny G and Michael Bolton are too soft even for AC radio now, and have been totally pushed off. Yeah, there's not even as much variation among certain artists' material, whereas in the 90s they played deeper tracks.

Actually the two AC stations in my area (94.5 KBAY which is like half Hot AC; and 96.5 KOIT, which is more traditional AC) have thankfully stayed pretty much the same over the years, just adding more songs with time but never dropping them, and both still play 80s quite a bit. In the last few years, they even do popular hair metal songs like Living On A Prayer, Pour Some Sugar On Me, and Here I Go Again...which would've been unimaginable in the 90s!

Written By: Howard on 08/04/14 at 2:10 pm

Why is that? Is it because they don't care? ???

Check for new replies or respond here...